Music Corner
Music Corner

A.R.Rahman (Fan Club) (Page 88)

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 5:05am | IP Logged

i like doing fusion music

He's just 27. And after the stunning success of Roja, A.R. Rahman is the most sought after music director in the business. Thiruda Thiruda, Gentleman and now Subhash Ghai's under production Shikhar have established him as something of a prodigy. Modest, religious and totally dedicated to his craft, Rahman spoke to Senior Correspondent NIRUPAMA SUBRAMANIAN in Madras last fortnight.

How does it feel to be on top?
I don't really think I'm at the top. Basically, I came into this field not to intrude on anybody else's success.

What made Roja such a hit?
It was Mani Ratnam's first film for K. Balachander, I was new, the singers were new, the actors were fresh faces. I tried to bring in good lyrics and more international music.

What music do you like?
Bach, Beethoven and Mozart, and Carnatic music. I was into rock and fusion. I like to bring all these into my music.

What offers are you getting?
I like to work only with dedicated film makers. I also take a long time. I thought that the Hindi film industry won't get used to this. So I made only the right choices.

How do you feel about having replaced Laxmikant-Pyarelal in Shikhar?
It was quite a tough job for me after they had given Ghai the Choli hit. Basically, Ghai wanted a new sound.

What's your view of the Hindi film industry ?
Hindi film music is going international. But Roja proved that traditional tunes can also be hits.

Where do you see yourself in the Hindi film industry?
I'll do only two to three films a year. And my music is completely different. But after Roja, I think I know what the Hindi crowd likes. Music is international, only cultures are different.

Is music the new driving force for movies?
Film music in India is like pop music in the West. Movies are the channels for this music.

How much are you paid?
I have read it written that I'm getting Rs 25 lakhs for a movie. It's under 10, actually. For Roja. I was paid Rs 25,000. I don't like to demand high amounts because I think that will rob me of my creativity.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/interviews/doing%20fusion%2 0music.htm

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 5:07am | IP Logged

after vande mataram

In what way is the album Vande Mataram a symbol of contemporary India?
Well, the primary objective of the album is to inspire a feeling for the country. And the sentiments so aroused go beyond caste, creed and colour. The feelings which inspired the album come from the heart, and can solve a lot of problems. If people look beyond religion and caste barriers, and think only of the country, that's enough. I personally think Vande Mataram is an ongoing movement, and people will feel good about it for the next 50 years.

Why did it take you so long to venture into doing a non-film project?
Maybe because before I didn't think that the time was right for a project of this nature. I was satisfied with doing film music. Vande Mataram is a noble entry into the world of non-film music. It's something different, something that won't be forgotten easily.

What are your views on the Indian film music scene today?
In recent times I've done films with a similar outlook. These films are aimed at the young generation and therefore have to be beat oriented. Yet I've tried for a distinct sound every time.

Vande Mataram is being released in 27 countries. What is it about the album that will make it appealing to such a wide audience?

I've tried my best to create something that will be appreciated worldwide, without losing out on the Indianness in the music.

When you started working on the album did you have any idea that it would turn out to be such a huge international project?
No, when we started out, only those involved with the album believed that it was going to be BIG. When I told people what I was doing, they would give me odd looks and ask me why I wasn't concentrating on films. But my team and I were confident about Vande Mataram, we felt good about it. We felt that it should go around the world and Sony promised us it would be an international album.

Has working with international artists affected your style?
Yeah, I felt I had to upgrade myself to reach international standards. It gives you a new plane to work on. You are not limited by your own imagination when you work with international artists. You see things from different perspectives. They also felt very honoured to be working on such a theme as Vande Mataram. The general feeling was that this is not just another track but something special..

What was it like working with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan?

When we contacted him, he readily agreed to do the song. He was very co-operative and gave us half a day to record it. I modified the track to suit his calibre, gave it more of a qawwali feeling so that he would feel comfortable. It is very unfortunate that he is....

How did you come into films?
My father, R K Shekar was a music director in Malayalam films. He assisted Salil Chowdary, Devrajan and others. He died when I was nine. At eleven I came into the field, playing on the keyboards and later as an accompanist. I worked under various music directors in Tamil, Telegu and Malayalam- Ramesh Naidu, MS Vishwanathan and Illayaraja. It started becoming a bit monotonous. I thought advertising would be a good alternative. This went on for three years. I built my studio and took to different forms of music- pop, rock and so on. It was then that I met producer Tirlok Shardha, cousin of Mani Rathnam at a party. He (Mani) came to my studio and heard some of my tunes. We agreed to work together though we did not decide on which movie. Only later he told me it was to be Roja, which he was directing for K. Balachander.

Despite your success you do not seem to be working on a lot of films?
Rather than making money I believe in making people happy, all other things are secondary. That is why I am not interested in a lot of movies but only in one at a time. I like directors whom I can vibe with. Ten years of experience in this field has made me quite frustrated. I've evolved a technique, which requires a lot of time. Other music directors record a song in 7-8 hours. But I am different. We do a basic sitting and we record it. We record the voice and I add instrument by instrument to improve the quality.

Do you use computers in your film tracks?
No, not computers. The technique is different. In fact they say the music in Roja was computerized. As I said earlier the recording takes time. You can hear the same flute in a different way. It is not computerized music. Nearly 40% Veerapandi Kottayily (a song from Thiruda Thiruda) that does not sound like computer music and Vellai Mazhai (from Roja) is synthesizer oriented. I do not restrict the musicians but ask them to play whatever they feel. Then I record what I want. I spend a lot of time on lyrics too. It takes around 4 days. We write something in the first instance and then improve. So it take about a week to complete a song.
http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/interviews/after_vande_mata ram.htm

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 5:09am | IP Logged

i n t e r v i e w

my desire for peace - Interview appeared in Junior Vikatan issue dated 25.11.98 with questions asked by readers through letter

K.Murugan, Mappilaikuppam
What is the significance of the letters 'A.R.' in your initials?

'A.R.' stands for 'Allah Rakah'.(It shouldn't be said as alah but it is allah and that 'l' should be stressed.I emphasise a lot on this.)

R.Venugopal, Periyakulam.
You have worked with Ilaayraja. Tell something about that Experience.

I worked with him in the film 'Moondraam Pirai'.I think that released in '84.After that I worked for him when he bought a new computer and I was having the same computer.I did Joint Study there.We used this for the film 'Punnagai Mannan'.I worked nearly for one and a half years.I came out during the film 'Velaikaaran'.

T.Kamarasu, Kodaikanal.
When you composed and sang Vandemataram-1, why didn't you do Vandemataram-2?

Vandemataram-1 was sony's assignment. As per agreement I have to do only Sony's next assignment. Vandemataarm-2 is not sony's. It released through Bharatbala Productions as per desire of Lata Mangeshkar. Also,there was the idea of the participation of North Indian Music Directors. Vandemataram was fulfilled. It is a good thing, isn't it?

M.Sundarraj, Chennai-23.
When are you going to compose for English Films?

I have already done it...'Fire' which has come out now...and 'Earth' a new one...

M.Khatija Haneefa, Trichy-6
If you happen to meet Al-Umma Basha what would you ask him?

An incident in the days of Nabigal Nayagam.In those days the punishment for theft were, slaying of hand, whipping etc.At that time a man asked Nabigal Nayagam,"Nabi!, This man has stolen.Punish him."Nabi told the Man who brought the thief, "Instead of bringing him to me,if you had taken him alone and talked kindly to him to change him,I would have been more happier". If I see Basha I would narrate this and ask "Instead of punishing can't you develop the forgiving attitude of Rasullah?"

Sakila Rahmadullah, Berhampur.
What do you think is the beauty for Music?

Sound!

R.Shanmugam, Kumbakonam.
While you were in Ilayaraja's troupe, what did you learn from him?

If its music,whoever it is,they might have some bad habit.When I see them with drinks and drugs I had the intention "Oh! they are music people.They should be like these.".The man who changed these altogether was only Ilayaraja.He proved that he can make good music without any bad habits!Even now he is an inspiration for me being so religious today.

N.Vandhiyakumaran, Chennai-41.
You had once given an interview for Madan in Ananda Vikatan.You had mentioned that your father was tamed with 'Black Magic'.If 'Black Magic' exists,then why should countries fight war?You can tame the rival with 'Black Magic'!Don't you feel that believing in 'Black Magic' in this computer age is so foolish?

That was one period.Many powers that cannot be seen with our eyes do exist.We had the fear that these might cause some harm.But,all these were surpassed by god's power.When I got tremendous faith on god all these became nothing!All our good deeds and god's power will block them.

James Valanathan, Kodaikanal.
Recently singer K.J.Yesudas had accused you of having spoilt a folk song like vandemataram.Your comment?

Its more than a year since the release of vandemataram.It got tremendous welcome.Many Music Directors and Singers praised it.Even then, I had a small worry...I am changing a traditional one!So I used the same style and included the song 'Revival' in that same album.My intention is to make everyone look at things which are not looked upon.Vandemataram had to be given to today's generation in their channels.Retaining that one thing leaving all is also a success. After Vandemataram so many people released it...including Lata Mangeshkar's Vandemataram-2!In this I think Yesudas has given a general comment without pointing out anybody.Even if he had pointed out at me, it is his personal opinion.I don't have anything to say in this...when rotten brinjals come to shop won't there be advertisements...everything should be taken out.My respect for him will not come down a bit because of all these. [Rahman's answers continue with a lot of masala!]

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/interviews/Junior%20Vikatan %201998.htm

Edited by dayita - 18 May 2006 at 5:24am
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 5:22am | IP Logged

perfection is his key to success - S. R. Ashok Kummar interviews music wizard A. R. Rahman, who won his second national award for ''Minsara Kanavu'' recently.

Date: 04-07-1997

In a short span A. R. Rahman has become a household name. The music wizard who has mesmerised audience with his enchanting score is known for his soft spoken, hardworking and deeply religious nature. The ace composer who has captured the hearts of music buffs the world over received his first national award with his debut film ''Roja.'' He got his second national award for ''Minsara Kanavu'' recently. In an interview, Rahman spoke about his flourishing career and his first passion, or rather his 'lifeline' - music. Excerpts from the interview.

''Minsara Kanavu'' has swept all the awards in the music category. What is your reaction?

The credit must go to the director. Rajeev Menon has an excellent taste for music. His contribution, poet Vairamuthu's participation and the fact that it was a film to mark AVM's golden jubilee celebrations was enough motivation for us.

You went to Vairamuthu's house and asked him to write a lyric for the film, which he had refused earlier?

Yes, we had a very non-traditional tune which Rajeev wanted to be developed. The song was ''O lalala, Manamadura Mamarakuile.'' The tune was a bit different. It changes into Tamil folk from half of the song. Vairamuthu found it very alien to Tamil films and rejected it first. He said people will also reject it. We also decided not to use it. After a week when we listened to it again, Rajeev said it sounded good and suggested that we ask Vairamuthu to write a lyric for it. The poet was recuperating after a fever. So we went to his house, made him write for the tune. The song won the national award for Chitra and all of us.

At any point of time have you felt the pressure of competition?

Actually, I do not take part in any competition. Competition comes only when one vies for a number of films. I try to do each job perfectly and take rest to recharge my batteries. Rest is essential for the kind of work I do.

So you do not worry about competition?

It is not in me to work harder or less than the others. Each job demands a particular kind of effort and often it is more of a teamwork.

It is widely felt that your charges are exorbitant.

Actually, I want to be exclusive. With less work, I can strive for perfection.

The use of traditional musical instruments are rare in your compositions. Do you think they are outdated or redundant?

I am yet to work for films like ''Sankarabaranam.'' But in a film like ''Duet,'' a non-traditional instrument, saxophone, was effectively used in a traditional way. It all depends on the project. I am trying to do justice to my work. It is a blessing in disguise and it is a problem too. My music sells in three languages and ultimately makes the 'roots' very shaky. For example if I compose a song in 'Sama' rag for a Tamil film, the same song will certainly not click in Hindi. This is because of its pure South Indian 'flavour'. For that I must adjust and compose it in 'Dharbari' or 'Dharmavathi' rag. This results in loss of traditional ethos. It is inevitable. Even if it is composed for a Tamil film, it will be sold in Telugu and Hindi. If the audio cassettes do not sell well, I will be blamed. It is a very risky affair. I only want to work for good films with best directors.

Can you tell something about your contribution for Illaiyaraaja's score in ''Punnagai Mannan.''

I was only an operator and not a composer. When I first bought the computer, Illaiyaraaja called me and we had lots of work sessions. He composed the song and I programmed it.

How do singers and musicians cope with your schedule?

It is not a daily feature. Depending on the workload, I plan my schedule. The singers come only during working hours. My technicians divide the work accordingly.

What is the basic knowledge needed to become a music director? Is knowledge of Carnatic music an asset? If so, does that help you now?

Carnatic music certainly helps as tunes must have roots. Or else, they will totally be rejected by the audience. Right now, commercial films need 'hyper-energy' songs to garner greater theatre attendance. If the tide changes and more serious films come along, things may become different. \f3 \cf2\i\f1

What about your contribution to non-film music?

For long I thought films were enough. I owe a lot to the industry. My father too worked in films. I was waiting for a right occasion to do an album. I got it now and I am coming out with an album to commemorate 50 years of Independence. The album is titled ''Vande Maadaram.'' The songs will be in Hindi, Tamil, Sanskrit, Urudu and English. My friend Bharath is also associated with the project. We are coming out with a video and Audio albums. The shooting and the recording are being done here and in London.

You started off with ''Roja'' which got you the first national award. How is the reception to your popular songs in the North?

When excellent Tamil numbers are dubbed in Hindi, it is done to synthesise with the mouthing and not for the meaning. This affects the beauty of music composition and the lyric. People say that ''Duet'' is one of my best works. But magazines and people in the north did not like it. It is all because of trying to merge the lip movement and not the meaning. In the case of ''Sapnay,'' Rajeev Menon took extra effort to write the songs in Hindi with Javed, who gave beautiful lyrics. He shot the songs again. So only it was top of the chart for so many weeks. I think every film should be recorded and shot like this or it should not be sold in Hindi at all, which is impossible.

Critics feel that you do not have variety. What is your reaction?

They have to say something. I take criticism in good spirit and try to improve.

As a singer, you are taking all the good songs in popular films.

I have been forced to sing. It is extra tiring to sing and get the words right. I sing only when forced to. Mani Ratnam was seeing the rerecorded version of ''Roja.'' When he saw a boatman humming, he asked who sang it. I told him that I sang the piece. So in his next film ''Bombay,'' he wanted me to sing ''Humma Humma.'' Then I sang for Shanker and now for Kadir in ''Kadal Desam.'' In the album ''Vande Maadaram,'' I sing nearly all the songs.

Who is your favourite music director?

In Tamil I am a great fan of M. S. Viswanathan-Ramamoorthy and K. V. Mahadevan. In Hindi, I admire Naushad, S. D. Burman and R. D. Burman.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/interviews/perfection%20is% 20his%20key%20to%20success.htm

dannyk Senior Member
dannyk
dannyk

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 5:22am | IP Logged
The Prodigy...All about Allah Rakha Rehman..
Beginning of an era...

Date of birth : 6th January, 1966.
Father: R.K.Sekhar.

His father was an arranger and conductor in Malayalam movies. A.R.Rehman (then Dileep ) started learning the Piano at the age of four. When A.R.Rehman was at the age of 9, his father passed away. At the age of 11, he joined Maestro Illaiyarajas troupe as a keyboard player. His mother Kareema Begum stood behind him and encouraged him to follow his father's footsteps. This had an adverse effect on his education forcing him to drop out from the school. He also played on the orchestra of M.S.Vishwanathan and accompanied Zakir Hussain and Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan on various world tours. All this experience enabled him to earn a scholarship to the famed Trinity College of Music at Oxford University from where he obtained a degree in Western Classical Music.
He was also a part of local rock bands like Roots, Magic and Nemesis Avenue etc. Then he started composing ad jingles. Rahman did a lot of popular ads like those for Parry's, Leo Coffee, Boost, Titan, Premier Pressure Cooker, Hero Puch and Asian Paints. He also did couple of non film albumns like 'Deen Isai Malai', 'Set Me Free'.
Then his turn to storm the tamil film industry came through Mani Rathnams Roja. Thereafter, no one could stop this YOUNG PRODIGY, who has taken Indian music to great heights in the international music arena. I am sure that this is just a beginning of his journey I take this opportunity to wish him all success in his life
May God be with him all through his success.........
A.S.P.I.R.E IF-Rockerz
A.S.P.I.R.E
A.S.P.I.R.E

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 5:24am | IP Logged
wow Dayita !!! your posts are amazing ...
sorry, I wasn't here all this time ..
I will add you all tomorrow definitely !!!
And by this weekend we all should have the gallery in place too ...

if anyone has any pics that they wanna share please PM them to me !!Thanks ! Big smile

And guys, I am going on a vacation to London on Monday .. Won't be back till June ... So Sammie, can you please take care of the club in the meanwhile ??? I would really appreciate it ! Smile
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 5:25am | IP Logged
Thanks for the article Danny.
dannyk Senior Member
dannyk
dannyk

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 5:26am | IP Logged
Rehman Converted to Islam - His sister was on verge of Death and Doctors had no solution to cure. At that time his family came to know of an Islamic Peer. His sister got well due to the blessings and the whole family converted to islam. He changed his name form AR Dilipkumar to AR Rehman.

Go to top