thanks sudha Smile
osoniare Senior Member
osoniare
osoniare

Posted: 28 April 2006 at 5:18am | IP Logged
Beat street
A.R. Rahman and Shakira perk up the charts in the week ahead

LET'S ROCK Check out Shakira's 'Hips Don't Lie'
41-Hot and Happening Various/Sony & BMG One of the songs that is riding the airwaves today featuring Wyclef Jean is Shakira's Hips Don't Lie. And following it up with a desi counter is Sandeep Chowta's Mallika I Hate You from his latest album. This cover features a blend of western and Indi pop and music that ranges from hip-hop and pop to blues and rock with A.R.Rahman, Joss Stone, INXS and Destiny's Child. Greatest Hits Grand Funk Railroad/EMI In 1968, Don Brewer (drums/vocals), Mark Farner (guitar), and Mel Schacher (bass) first performed as Grand Funk Railroad in their hometown of Flint, Michigan. Their blend of rock and boogie made them a rage with music buffs. The album features 14 digitally re-mastered tracks, We're an American band and their 1974 release of Shinin' On, plus more radio staples. Scorpions #1 Scorpions/EMI On June 7, Scorpions will be playing with Fury in The Slaughterhouse, Heinz Rudolf Kunze and Mousse T. featuring Emma Lanford at the Waterloo Place in Hanover, Germany. This show will be for the opening of the FIFA Soccer World Cup 2006. But before this, make way for this definitive Scorpions collections. The double CD collection spanning their entire career features tracks from some of their best earlier albums.

SYEDA FARIDA

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/2006/04/18/stories/20060418 00330400.htm

osoniare Senior Member
osoniare
osoniare

Posted: 28 April 2006 at 5:24am | IP Logged
Back to the future Ramanujam Sridhar
Brands often lose their way when their communication deviates from a tried and tested property just to be different. This is not a situation that cannot be salvaged, though.

Whenever you are stumped to find a solution at present, just look backwards. You just might find your pot of gold.

The Airtel campaign carries that familiar signature tune composed by A. R. Rahman.
I recall a famous Tamil film song penned by the immortal lyricist Kannadasan, when translated, reads as follows "Feet that stray from the right path don't reach the destination." And yet, I believe it is possible for people and brands to get back on track with a little introspection. Brands stray when they try to be different for the sake of being different. The desire to be different is pretty common in advertising. And this desire to be different usually means a break from the past. If only the agency were to listen to the "echoes" of the past - a term that the famous advertising person David N. Martin (the founder of the Martin agency) was fond of using - it could build on the framework of the past, rather than create from scratch. Rahman resurfaces for Airtel Airtel is an amazingly successful brand. It has very visible advertising, with a fairly high share of voice. As mobile services are an extremely competitive (cut-throat?) category, there are a number of advertising renditions that happen. One of the most interesting ones for me as a consumer was the one with A. R. Rahman in Hyde Park, was it, playing with an assortment of musicians even as an adoring recording artist listens to the music that is carried through Airtel mobile's service. Well, I know that I can't be exactly objective about A. R. Rahman but it was a brilliant track. Airtel had integrated this piece of communication, making it a fairly popular ring tone. Every second Airtel user had this ring tone and enthusiastic guys even used it in their cars as they reversed. I am not sure if Airtel has been using this tune in all its advertising. Some of its schemes like Rs 199 set in paan shops and barber saloons certainly did not. But I was pleasantly reassured to see the Airtel music shop commercial with a predominance of red (the Airtel logo and colours) and Rahman's music track again - in the forefront where it belongs. Its other black-and-white commercial too which is on air, which I shall refer to as the 'Berlin Wall,' commercial has a strand of this music as it ends. I will not forget A.R. Rahman Indians love music. It's one of the great unifiers of this diverse country. Music too provides a great "opportunity to hear" if you are not in the same room as the TV set. Airtel's music track has the force to be a 'brand property' if it isn't already. Titan has had the same music track for a small matter of 19 years. I remember the commentator David Lloyd asking errant bowlers to write 100 lines - "I will not bowl short to Ricky Ponting." I am sure bowlers would do well to remember this as well - "I will not bowl on Rahul Dravid's pads" and Airtel's agency would do well to memorise this: "I will not forget A.R. Rahman." And I wonder if it is politically correct for me to write about this interesting call I received from Hutch saying that it had an unbeatable offer for Airtel's privileged customers. This deserves another column so I should desist for the present. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if Airtel doesn't get you then Hutch must! 'Thanda' returns to a hot country

Different doesn't always work: The new Coke campaign featuring Aishwarya Rai gets back to the 'Thanda' positioning.
Summer time is cola time - or at least cool drink time. A couple of years ago, Coke had this wonderful thanda campaign with Aamir Khan, which was a break from its global advertising position and stance. The line 'Thanda matlab Coca-Cola' warmed my heart, at least. It was an attempt to own the word thanda which most of India (read Hindi heartland) could relate to. Then Coke lost its way (or so I said in one of my columns in this august newspaper) and said 'Sar Utha Ke.' Clearly, Coke was throwing out the baby with the bath water in its quest for change. And now Coke is back - if not with a bang - at least with Thanda. The new campaign with Aishwarya Rai is not my favourite - it's too Delhi University-centric, relies too much on Aishwarya's histrionics (what are they?) but is still built on Thanda. Coke, you are getting there. But where is Aamir? Probably in Gujarat ... "The king of good times" Let's get back to our original concept, music. Kingfisher first launched its Calypso tune when it sponsored the West Indian cricket team. Arguably, the West Indian Cricket team was the worst then. It is getting there even now but Kingfisher had a good thing going with its music track. The calypso beat had people humming when they were not guzzling. I particularly like Kingfisher's recent shower commercial with Michael Vaughan and Freddie Flintoff. An interesting use of international cricketers while they are touring. (Perhaps the only worthwhile thing Vaughan has done in India on their recent tour is shoot this commercial!) And an interesting replay of the tune. The same "good times" thought is airborne with Kingfisher Airlines as well. Yes, music will work. The question is, can we see beyond the tips of our noses? Can we recognise the good thing that we own?

Sadly, we miss the obvious trick when it comes to brands and branding. So, whenever you are stumped to find a solution at present, just look backwards. You just might find your pot of gold. Your brand's past could well guide your future.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/catalyst/2006/04/27/stor ies/2006042700050200.htm

doly_455 IF-Rockerz
doly_455
doly_455

Posted: 28 April 2006 at 5:31am | IP Logged
grt info......
grt songs....... Embarrassed
osoniare Senior Member
osoniare
osoniare

Posted: 28 April 2006 at 5:33am | IP Logged

Rehman for Harris
IndiaGlitz [Friday, April 28, 2006]

Director A R Murugadoss is all set to direct his Ghajini in Hindi. Aamir Khan would play the lead role with Asin playing his ladylove.

Interestingly, Harris Jeyaraj, who composed the musical score for the original, would be replaced by A R Rehman.

Sources say Aamir Khan had insisted on Rehman working in the movie.

Starting with Lagaan down through Mangal Pandey and now Rang De Basanti, Aamir has hit it off with Rehman.

Ghajini starring Suriya and Asin went on to become a big hit in Tamil and established Murugadoss as a sought-after director in Kollywood.

Currently he is directing a Telugu movie featuring Chiranjeevi and Trisha, Murugadoss would commence the Hindi venture of Ghajini only after completing the Chiranjeevi starrer.

Go to top