India-Forums

Music Corner
Music Corner

A.R.Rahman (Fan Club) (Page 52)

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 11:17am | IP Logged
Thnx Julekha, would u like 2 join this club as a member?

Edited by sweetdisha - 16 April 2006 at 11:07pm

.Prometheus. Channel Moderator
.Prometheus.
.Prometheus.

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 11:35am | IP Logged
sure yaar why not
but ill be on off member since i have exams comiong up Ouch
sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 11:09pm | IP Logged

Smile,But Julekha, plz go thrugh the rules of this club b4 u join.

Originally posted by MainEkHasina

sure yaar why not
but ill be on off member since i have exams comiong up Ouch

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 12:16am | IP Logged
Who says remix is unoriginal?
Shridevi Keshavan
Sunday, April 16, 2006  21:01 IST

< =http://www.google.com/custom method=get 1="http://www.google.com/search">      </>

AR Rahman talks about the changing face of Bollywood music and his upcoming ventures

Andrew Lloyd Webber calls him the 'Asian Mozart'. "I'm a film composer and I like being what I am," laughs AR Rahman who seems excited about his work with the Finnish band Varttina on the stage version of the epic 'Lord Of The Rings'.

"I explored a lot of genres of music. It was a prolonged working period," he says about the musical which according to him was multilayered, pressurizing the whole team to make the music impactful with no pop elements.

Currently working on tracks for a few upcoming Bollywood films like Mani Ratnam's 'Guru', Raj Kumar Santoshi's 'London Dreams' and  Ashutosh Gowarikar's 'Jodha Akbar', Rahman says he is always in search of exciting projects.

"I have been watching Chinese films for about 15 years and am a big fan. Composing for 'Between Heaven And Earth' was very fulfilling." he explains about his Chinese film venture.

Quiz him about the remix culture and he says it all depends on how it's done. "Remix does not mean lack of originality, but if it's done badly people will get irritated," he says. About the Bollywood scenario he thinks a lot is changing. "We have a lot of experimental films which caters to a good section of multiplex crowd, where there is ground for playing around with sounds," he says.

Rahman has currently tied up with World Space radio station and is promoting the variety in music it offers. After working with the top-notch nationally and internationally, he says he never plans his future. "I'm not that deep. I take each day as it comes," he ends.
sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 12:27am | IP Logged
Benefit concert offers multicultural opportunities
Visiting artists entertain, educate EMU students

By Rachel Elliott / Staff Writer
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12, 2006

Courtesy photo

Concert pairs both Indian and American performers to portray the "best of" A.R. Rahman's illustrious work.
Regarded as a "composer extraordinaire" by the Indian entertainment industry for redefining contemporary Indian music, renowned composer A.R. Rahman will visit Eastern Michigan on Saturday.

"This is a special opportunity for Eastern Michigan to reinforce its multicultural mission," EMU President John A. Fallon says. "The engagement of these international artists on campus represents a significant opportunity for our students to experience important elements of Indian culture. Beyond this, the funding raised will provide opportunities for student travel to India to observe and participate in the culture."

Rahman, whose list of credits seems to overflow, most recently collaborated with Andrew Lloyd Webber in two musicals: "Bombay Dreams" and "Lord of the Rings." Rahman has sold over 100 million albums worldwide, composed scores for over 50 films, won 17 Filmfare awards and taken home three MTV awards. Nicknamed the "Mozart of Madras" by Time Magazine, Rahman was also the 2002 recipient of the Padma Shri title, India's highest civilian award, for his contribution to music.

Rahman will perform with the Global Rhythm All Stars and musicians Sekar, Kalish Kher and Vasundhara Das for a benefit concert titled "Wake Up! A.R. Rahman with 150 All Stars." The Global Rhythm All Stars, the group performing with Rahman, is a group of student musicians that began their mission at Miami University in Ohio.

"This group started with the leadership of Mr. Srinivas Krishnan, who was at that time artist in residence at Miami University of Ohio, and Dr. Ethan Sperry, Miami of Ohio's choral director," Dr. Sidney Fallon says. "The idea was to create a group [choral and instrumental] who could perform music from around the world. In the process they would be learning about the world."

The Fallons brought the All Stars to perform as the finale to a week long "Border Crossing Festival" at State University of New York. Shortly afterward, Mr. Krishnan visited EMU.

"We invited Srini back to campus and he and I agreed that through music young people could learn about and appreciate other cultures," Sidney says. "Srini met Mr. A.R. Rahman right around the same time and they talked about this. Last February I went to Chennai [India], where Srini, Mr. Rahman and I met, and Mr. Rahman agreed to do two fundraising benefit concerts to create funds that would generate more opportunities for students to gain a greater understanding of Indian culture and the arts."

In addition to the Global Rhythm All Stars, Mr. Rahman will bring along Vasundhara Das, vocalist and actress, as well as world-renowned cellist V.R. Sekar and vocalist Kailash Kher, who has worked with Rahman on several film projects.

The show will bring together Indian and American singers and dancers to showcase a "best of" A.R. Rahman's works.

"While the concert in and of itself is exciting and the potential endowment dollars are exciting, even more is that the artists have all agreed to work with students while they are here," Sidney says.

In addition to the performers of the benefit, three international filmmakers are joining in on the events: Rakeysh Mehra, Ramkumar Ganeshan, and Niclas Ribbarp. All the artists involved plan to do a variety of things on campus, such as conduct master classes, discuss their careers with students and work with a group of film students to create a documentary of the week's activities.

All the artists are performing in the benefit without being paid.

"They are absolutely amazing and all because of their belief in creating a more harmonious world through the arts starting with young people," Dr. Fallon says.

"We are fortunate and definitely honored that they have chosen EMU as one of their two locations to do all of this. I am hopeful that we can honor them back with great attendance at the concert and at the sessions they conduct on campus."

The benefit is the first of its kind at EMU. Proceeds will help fund opportunities for all students to learn about Indian culture and art. Tickets are $50 - $205 and are available by calling the EMU Convocation Center at 734-487-2282.

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 12:31am | IP Logged

A R Rahman to visit Eastern Michigan

Mumbai, India
A.R. Rahman will visit Eastern Michigan on Saturday. "This is a special opportunity for Eastern Michigan to reinforce its multicultural mission," EMU President John A. Fallon says. The funding raised will provide opportunities for student travel to India to observe and participate in the culture. Rahman will perform with the Global Rhythm All Stars and musicians Sekar, Kalish Kher and Vasundhara Das for a benefit concert titled "Wake Up! A.R. Rahman with 150 All Stars."

In addition to the Global Rhythm All Stars, Mr. Rahman will bring along Vasundhara Das, vocalist and actress, as well as world-renowned cellist V.R. Sekar and vocalist Kailash Kher, who has worked with Rahman on several film projects.

The benefit iof show will proceeds to help fund opportunities for all students to learn about Indian culture and art.
.Prometheus. Channel Moderator
.Prometheus.
.Prometheus.

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 2:38am | IP Logged
thanks for the article disha

now to go back and read them LOL
sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 2:41am | IP Logged
LOL

Go to top