Music Corner
Music Corner

A.R.Rahman (Fan Club) (Page 28)

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:18am | IP Logged

Colour coordinated

Adman and lyricist Prasoon Joshi in an exclusive listening session of AR Rahman's just-released score of Rang De Basanti

Lalitha Suhasini

Lucknow, December 11: The face of McCann Erickson, India, says he is completely in awe of AR Rahman. ''Rahman doesn't really speak Hindi but he understands the sound of words. Sometimes we don't say a word but know exactly what we want from each other,'' says the lyricist. Rakyesh Mehra's Rang De Basanti is his first project with the south Indian composer.

As he slides his copy of the earliest recorded CDs of the soundtrack into the player, the head rush is palpable. The title track sung by bhangra hellraiser Daler Mehndi, screams UK Asian underground, which ironically is no longer underground and is more the flavour of the London club scene all-year-round. ''I initially wanted to call the song Recipe but was told that it's too esoteric a title,'' says Joshi, ''The song describes the method to prepare basanti ka rang.'' Thodi si dhool...thodi si khushboo, read the lyrics. As Chitra joins in Daler, you know this one is undeniably a hit. Can't say the same of Paatshaala—a campus-friendly number. The sound is a Fanaah hangover from Yuva, though Joshi's Hinglish wordplay is fresh—'Chehron ki kitabe hain...mobile library.' In spite of Kisna's title track, Rahman's been taking quite a few knocks from Bollywood. But there's more than one song in this album that will ensure it goes places. Take Rubaroo sung by Naresh Iyer, his new find from Super Singers. The acoustic guitar-heavy, happy song should easily hit No 1 and stay there for a while. We have never heard one like this from Rahman before. Next on, there's a duet by Iyer again with Madhushree. The subdued violins work well, and Iyer just might turn out to be the most sought after voice for ghazals and romantic numbers. A south Indian Mumbai-bred teenager, there's thankfully no trace of the Tamilian accent in Iyer's rendition. Rahman gets behind the mike for Khalbali, a Bedouin frenzy of percussion instruments, including the chenda, the classical drum that accompanies a Kathakali performance. ''I had to come up with a word that sounded Arabic enough and yet portrayed the turbulence in the song,'' says Joshi of the funky, techno number. And there's the much-talked about Lata-Rahman duet. It's a fairly long score running into seven minutes, and Lata sounds remarkably light. Rahman has also understood her form well—there are no lines that stretch or strain her voice to an unbearable length and pitch. ''It's set at the time of a son's funeral, and his mother is reminiscing of old times,'' reveals Joshi, who draws a parallel between the soul and a soaring kite in this one. But the song is far from a dirge. When the tabla and flute accompany the vocals, it might as well be a lullaby. Surprise, surprise. Joshi who's worked with Indi band Silk Route in the past (on the album Pehchaan) has roped in vocalist Mohit Chauhan in the eerie, minimalistic Khoon Chala. This is a track that is tailor-made for Lucky Ali, we tell him, but Joshi feels otherwise. One of the biggest challenges, sums up Joshi, has been reinventing Sarfaroshi Ki Tamanna, originally written by Ram Prasad Bismil, in Lalkaar. ''It would be foolish to even attempt writing better than a revolutionary poet. But I can say I've done justice to it,'' he says. The album is a riot of sounds, and a must add to your Rahman collection.

Source: http://cities.expressindia.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:27am | IP Logged

Rang De Basanti - a winner for A. R. Rehman?

IndiaGlitz [Thursday, December 08, 2005]

It has been quite a while since A. R. Rehman had a Bollywood hit to his credit.

Since Saathiya [2002], Rehman has had multiple releases for Hindi movies like Tehzeeb, Lakeer, Meenaxi, Yuva, Dil Ne Jise Apna Kaha, Swades, Kisna, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and Mangal Pandey. Sadly, inspite of good music in some of the flicks, commercially none of them went on to hit the bull's eye in a way Rehman's music used to do till around a few years back.

Now with Aamir Khan's 'Rang De Basanti' promos on air, one gets a feeling that Rehman may finally have a successful musical score in hands. Currently the title song on air along with another youthful track 'Paathshaala' have made for an interesting hearing. Also the vibrant look of both the songs conveys tremendous positive energy.

Watch out for the music album that releases in a short while from now and the verdict should be out soon!

Source: http://www.indiaglitz.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:28am | IP Logged

Surya in a telugu film

Updated:  12-10-2005 By andhracafe

Jyotika had revealed to Andhra Cafe earlier that she will be acting in Surya's home production 'Green' in not one but two films. So Surya is back with more details. He is producing a film called Nuvvu Nenu Prema and Jyothika and Bhumika will be his leading ladies. The film is being made in tamil and will simultaneously featured in the telugu version too.

The puja for the telugu film will be conducted on 11 december and shooting will start from 23 onwards. A R Rehman will provide the music and Krishna who worked as a associate for Gautam, the director of Gharshana, will handle the film.

Source: http://www.andhracafe.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:29am | IP Logged

Lata records her first duet with A.R. Rahman

Wednesday November 30 2005 14:04 IST

IANS

MUMBAI: Veteran Lata Mangeshkar has teamed up with ace music director and singer A.R. Rahman, as the duo have recorded their first ever duet for Rakeysh Mehra's "Rang De Basanti".

"Though I have sung for Rahman before, I had never sung with him," Lata laughs.

"It's a lovely 'maa-beta' (mother-son) song 'Lukka-chuppi bahut hui saamne aa ja na', which Rahman and I sang. What really added to my pleasure was the fact that the song will be picturised on Waheeda Rehman. She is one of my favourite actresses and I have sung some of my favourite numbers for her."

Prasoon Joshi, who wrote songs for "Phir Milenge" and the promotional number for "Black", has penned down the new Lata-Rahman duet.

Coincidentally, the last time Lata sang for Waheeda Rehman was also a mother-son song "Tu mere saath rahega munne" for composer Khayyam in "Trishul".

The 76-year-old singer flew to Chennai to record the duet. "Rahman was keen that I sing in his own studio. I was more than happy to oblige."

Rakeysh Mehra is over the moon. "To have Lataji sing for my film was a dream. When she came for the recording, my knees and hands were trembling. This is the Lata Mangeshkar, for god's sake!"

Rakeysh is not the only one singing paeans for the legendary singer. Composer Ismail Durbar too is in seventh heaven. Lata is recording a song for Ismail for the first time.

The song is for a film called, "Pyar Kiya To Nibhana", to be directed by Vinay, Sooraj Barjatya's former assistant.

The composer, who was blessed with a son this week, is doubly ecstatic.

"Every time I thought of a tune, I would wonder how it would sound in her voice. And now she is finally singing for me."

Says the ecstatic composer: "I have told Lata didi I would like her to sing all the female vocals in this film. To have her sing for me is a dream-come-true.

"I should have been born twenty years ago. To what heights she took the tunes of the earlier composers. I was over the moon when she rang me to wish me 'Eid Mubarak'. I have celebrated Eid many times, but this one will be a memorable one."

Source: http://www.newindpress.com/

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:30am | IP Logged

Bombay Dreams to Play Toronto in 2006

By Andrew Gans | 29 Nov 2005

Bombay Dreams , the Andrew Lloyd Webber-produced musical that first played London and later Broadway, will play a limited engagement in Toronto in 2006.

A recent casting notice reveals that the Bollywood-themed musical will play Toronto's Hummingbird Centre for the Performing Arts in summer 2006. Produced by Nick Manos and Atlanta's Theater of the Stars, the engagement is just one stop on the forthcoming North American tour. No other details have been announced. The musical — featuring a score by A R Rahman and Don Black and a book by Meera Syal and Thomas Meehan — was based on an idea by Shekhar Kapur and Lloyd Webber, who co-produced the London mounting. The New York production at the Broadway Theatre played 31 previews and 284 regular performances before closing Jan. 1, 2005. Bombay Dreams tells the story of Akaash, a brash young slum dweller who dreams of becoming a Bollywood movie star and meeting his idol, the voluptuous screen siren Rani. And wouldn't you know it, his dreams come true—but not without some personal costs and a good dousing in an on-stage dancing fountain. The production mirrors many a Bollywood musical in its lavish and plentiful production numbers, which find a good portion of the grinning Bombay population joyously dancing in unison to a propulsive beat. The show's centerpiece is perhaps the disco-ish "Shakalaka Baby," in which Rani and Akaash dance in and around a growing fountain. The musical was directed by Steven Pimlott and choreographed by Anthony Van Laast and Farah Khan. The show, which brought East Indian-flavored music and dance to the West End and later to Broadway, had its world premiere at London's Apollo Victoria Theatre on June 19, 2002.

Song titles include "Salaa'm Bombay," "Bollywood," "Love's Never Easy," "Lovely, Lovely Ladies," "Bhangra," "Shakalaka Baby," "I Could Live Here," "Is This Love?," "Famous," "Chaiyya Chaiyya," "How Many Stars?," "Hero," "Ganesh Procession," "The Journey Home" and "Wedding Qawali."

Source: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/96501.html

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:31am | IP Logged

Sivaji is launched

IndiaGlitz [Tuesday, November 29, 2005]

Trust Rajinikanth and AVM Saravanan to have lot of sensitivity.  Trust the duo to also keep others guessing.

Just as everyone was thinking that the AVM-produced, Shankar-directed and Rajini and Shriya-starrer Sivaji to go on to the floors in December, in a surprise move, the movie was launched without any fanfare yesterday at the AVM third floor (a tradition of the production house).

The launch function of the film was kept very low-key considering the plight of the several lakhs who had been hit by the floods in the State.

For a film that has made the entire industry look up, it was indeed a very soft launch. As it happens, even some of them cast did not know that the film was being launched yesterday morning.

Shreya who was in Chennai for a commercial shoot arrived at the studio without knowing what it was for. Ditto in the case of the film's comedian Vivek. Music director A R Rehman was in fact not in India itself and hence could not make it.

Other crew of the film lyricist Vairamuthu, cameraman K V Anand,art director Thota Tharani, dance director Raju Sundaram were at hand.AVM's regular SP Muthuraman was also present.

Rajinikanth, clad in a typical white kurtha, looked refreshed, and seemed ready for it all.Shankar was also full of energy and enthusiasm for the big project.

AVM Saravanan and M S Guhan were as usual dignity personified.

Source: http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/18595.html

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged

Aamir Khan sings Lalkaar for Rang De Basanti

Actors going behind the mic to sing for a track of their movie, yes, that's the new trend. After Abhishek Bachchan recently sung a song for his next Bluffmaster, Aamir Khan, the perfectionist, has put his vocal cords to work for Rakeysh Mehra's Rang De Basanti .

The song that Aamir sung is titled Lalkaar . It's a contemporary inspirational track composed by the music maestro A. R. Rahman and penned down by Prasoon Joshi.

"Both Aamir and Rahman have been so closely associated with Rang De Basanti from the start they know every heartbeat and rhythm in the plot. None of the 10 songs in Rang De Basanti are items. They're all part of the narrative," said Mehra revealing a bit about Rang De Basanti 's songs.

And how did Aamir end up singing Lalkaar ? "Aamir's song comes at a critical juncture in the narrative. When we arrived at this song there was no hesitation - Aamir was the first and only choice. Rahman and I immediately thought of him. Aamir was the first and last choice for the Lalkaar track. And it's turned out so beautifully."

What makes the songs of Rang De Basanti special? "What makes the music of Rang De Basanti as special as the music in my Aks is that the 10 songs didn't just happen in the studio. They grew out of the narrative. We'd scrap tunes, find new ones, create and re-create the songs until they gelled completely with the situations. And yes, Aamir was a part of the film's musical journey," said Mehra

We hope Lalkaar will be as successful as Aati Kya Khandala from Vikram Bhatt's Ghulam and Aamir will get the same amount of praise for this one!

Source: http://www.bollywoodmantra.com

Related News : Aamir to sing - Bollyvista - Brossard,Quebec,Canada , Aamir Khan sings again - Newindpress - Chennai,India, Khandala' Khan at it again - Himalayan Times - Kathmandu,Nepal

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:33am | IP Logged

Rahman to compose for Mozart film

Panaji | December 01, 2005 4:15:06 PM IST

Chennai's greatest gift to Indian film music, A.R. Rahman, is likely to compose a part of the track for an unusual international film project being planned to coincide with the 250th birth anniversary of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The brainchild of Salzburg-based Austrian music composer and violinmaker Winrich Sturies, the film has been in the works for over six months. "It will roll very soon," says Sturies. "The release of the film is planned for mid 2006." Mozart was born in Salzburg in January 1756. The Indian partner in the film venture, Sanjay Kaushik of the Paramount group of companies, says the details are all in place. "The script is ready, talks are on with Rahman and the process of casting will be completed before we set a firm date for the shoot to begin." "The film," asserts Kaushik, "will be a full-fledged international production that will have substantial Indian participation. The link between the West and India will be organic and natural, not forced as is usually the case with such film projects." Sturies has lined up a series of concerts all around Europe under the rubric Project Planet-Mozart. The film, scripted by Sturies himself, is an extension of that celebration of the work of one of the finest music composers the world has ever known. How did India come into the picture? "One of the key characters in the proposed film is an Indian," reveals Sturies. "The storyline is set in two eras - Mozart's own and that of a fictional 17-year-old new millennium boy, Nicholas. The two men meet and play together. A key subplot in the film has Nicholas falling in love with an Indian girl and travelling to this part of the world." Sturies is looking to underscore the universality and continuity of music through his unusual narrative. "Music is one mode of human expression that can travel across time and space without any hindrance," says the Austrian. Sturies is an admirer of India's approach to music. "When Ravi Shankar played with Yehudi Menuhin, the god of the violin, nearly 40 years ago, the West saw for the first time that music is not just performance, it is worship. "It is something that comes from deep within. Ravi Shankar taught us that music is composed and performed with the heart and not with mere instruments," he says. Sturies, who attended the 36th International Film Festival in Goa for a few days before setting out to explore other parts of the country, is impressed with what he has seen so far. "I cannot express in words how excited I am with the creative energy that I see here," he says. (IANS)

Source: http://news.webindia123.com | http://keralanext.com

Go to top