Music Corner

A.R.Rahman (Fan Club) (Page 24)

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged

Don't expect Shakalaka Baby for Rings : Rahman

Associated Press | Thursday, 09 March , 2006, 12:53

A.R. Rahman says the music for the lavish stage production of ''The Lord of the Rings'' opening in Canada this month has a unique flavor due to his collaboration with Finnish folk group Varttina.

Rahman had earlier composed music for ''Bombay Dreams'' - a musical about India's movie industry by Andrew Lloyd Webber that was a hit in London's West End, but struggled on Broadway.

Working on the music for the stage version of J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy was challenging, Rahman told Bombay-based DNA newspaper in an interview published Thursday. ''I have been working on this for more than two years,'' said Rahman, adding this was the longest project he had been involved with. While the ''Rings'' stage production is not a musical, it uses music extensively and Rahman has said he was roped in to bring an orchestral tone to the folk music of Varttina. The show, with a cast of nearly 60 actors, cost upward of US$23 million (?19.3 million) and opens at Toronto's Princess of Wales Theatre on March 23. Rahman said one thing the score would not have was pop music. ''It was an interesting collaboration,'' Rahman said about working with Varttina. ''To those who have heard my music before, I'd say don't expect 'Shakalaka Baby' or 'Chaiyya Chaiyya'.''

The two songs were Bollywood favorites and featured in the musical ''Bombay Dreams.'' The 40-year-old composer has won several Indian music awards and composed music for more than 120 Bollywood movies.

Source: http://sify.com
Similar News: http://www.canada.com , http://www.gulf-daily-news.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged

'Paathshala' continues its musical momentum

IANS [Tuesday, February 28, 2006]

New Delhi, Feb 28 (IANS) Music composer A.R. Rahman is undoubtedly at his musical best in Rakyesh Omprakash Mehra's blockbuster "Rang De Basanti" with his carefree "Paathshala" tightly holding on its number one slot.

The top 10 Hindi songs are:

1. "Paathshala" - Film: "Rang De Basanti"; singers: Naresh Iyer, Mohammed Aslam; music: A.R. Rahman. The film has been declared a blockbuster and now this rhythm-based song puts "Rang De Basanti" on a musical high.

2 "Jhalak dikhlaja" - Film: "Aksar"; singers: Himesh Reshammiya; music: Himesh Reshammiya. Crooned by Reshammiya, the song stands out because of the nasal effect given by the singer. It has the potential to stay on the charts for a longer period.

3. "Ek nazar mein thi" - Film: "Taxi No. 9211"; singer: K.K; music: Vishaal-Shekhar. A new entrant on the list, the track shows the versatility of K.K. as a singer.

4. "Pardey ke peeche" - Film: "Bluffmaster"; Singers: Saira Hussain; music: Vishal-Shekhar. This unconventional track replaces the hugely popular rap number "Right here right now" this week.

5 "Fanaah" - Film: "Hum Ko Deewana Kar Gaye"; Singer: K.K.; music director: Anu Malik. Akshay Kumar's fans love this foot-tapping number.

6 "Chhore ki baatein" - Film: "Fight Club"; Singers: Amit Kumar, Shweta Pandit; Music: Pritam. The film has not done too well but music lovers are enjoying the songs, especially this number.

7. "Aapki kashish" - Film: "Aashiq Banaya Aapne"; singer: Himesh Reshammiya; music: Himesh Reshammiya. Sung by Reshammiya, the track has created a niche for itself and has become a permanent fixture on the list.

8. "Jiya dhadak dhadak jaaye" - Film: "Kalyug"; singer: Rahat Fateh Ali Khan; music: Faisal Rafi, Rohail Hyat. Music buffs have hugely appreciated this song so reminiscent of the soft, romantic numbers of the late 1960s and early 1970s.

9. "Halla re" - Film: "Neal 'N' Nikki"; singers: Shweta Pandit, Salim Merchant, Irshad Kamil; music: Salim-Sulaiman. This puppy love story received a lot of flak for Tanisha Mukherji's skin show, but its music has done well. This highly energetic number is still popular.

10 "Yeh hai meri kahani" - Film: "Zinda"; singers: Strings; music: Strings. After a long gap, this song has returned to the music list.

Source: http://www.nowrunning.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged

Rahman to tour U.S. with Global Rhythms

Sudhish Kamath

The ensemble of 200 Americans promoting a brand of world music

CHENNAI: The biggest fans of A.R. Rahman in the West are not all Indians. They include a 200-member ensemble of Americans who do not understand the language but can sing Rahman's songs in sync with rehearsed perfection. "They don't even need to look at the notes. They sing even the Urdu words with so much passion that you would think America's resistance to anything Islamic is a myth," says Srinivas Krishnan, artistic director of the Global Rhythms ensemble. "I had kept it low profile, almost like a secret, for nine years: just building it, handpicking musicians from all over America. We started with 20 people and now we have about 200, and look at them," he adds excitedly, presenting video clips of near flawless performances by the ensemble. Srinivas, himself a percussionist, has decided to take Indian music to the West by giving it the flavours of the world. Hence, it's Indian film music with percussion influences from African, Israeli and even American folk. The ensemble has been touring universities all over America to popularise their brand of world music, a representative of cultures and music from all over the world. Recently, Srinivas was at the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, to show the students clippings from the Global Rhythms in concert during the Rang De Basanti movie screening on campus, organised in association with A.R. Rahman and Global Rhythms. "Rahman has encouraged us with so much support. It is his vision to reach out to the musicians at the grassroots of America. These musicians are not just from the big cities, they are from the small towns, truly representative of America," says Srinivas. Rahman will tour with the ensemble this summer for a couple of concerts in the US. "We will surely be coming to India too, just a matter of time," he says.

Source: http://www.hindu.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:37am | IP Logged

Indian Superstar Rahman Returns to Hong Kong

Source: hkfilmart.com

Indian superstar musician A.R. Rahman came back to Hong Kong not just for the shopping and to prepare his first concert in the city, but because he's hoping to write music for more Chinese-language films.

I'm a big fan of Chinese films, said Rahman, who has composed scores for more than 50 films, including Warriors of Heaven and Earth , directed by He Ping. I'm open to the possibility of doing it again, he said. If they want my music, and if there's a good script.

He cited Raise the Red Lantern and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon amongst his favorites. So when offered the chance to make the leap from Middle to Far Eastern cinema he didn't hesitate. I jumped on it, he said.

Sporting a newly shaven head (part of the cleansing ritual following his recent pilgrimage to Mecca) Rahman was, in person, shy and softly-spoken, unlike the glamorous image of him one might imagine from the posters adorning buses all over the island. He was, nonetheless, quite talkative when it came to the topic and music and Hong Kong cinema.

Although the language barrier provided some initial problems when composing for Warriors , Rahman got a translator and focused on the pan-Asian qualities of the movie. The film is based on the Silk Road, and has elements of Turkish, Indian, Buddhist and Chinese culture .

21 Feb 2006 by magic8

Source: http://www.kfccinema.com/

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:38am | IP Logged

God Father's audio arrives

IndiaGlitz [Saturday, February 18, 2006]

Finally the audio of Ajith's God Father is out. A R Rehman with his scintillating music has once again proved why is such a sought-after music-composer in Indian film industry now.

The audio was initially slated to hit the music stores on Thursday. Unfortunately it's release was delayed by a day.

The movie had gone to the floors a long time back. Unfortunately it was delayed due to various reasons and it is expected to hit the theatres by next month.

According to a music shop owner, 'there has been a tremendous response for the audio of God Father. Since Thursday there have been many enquiries for the album'.

A couple of numbers including one rendered by A R Rehman are certain to top the audio charts, says music-lovers.

Source: http://www.indiaglitz.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:40am | IP Logged

The importance of being AR Rahman

HT Style
Mumbai, February 21, 2006

A triplethreat artist who combines the popularity of Elton John and the prodigious output of film composer John Williams, AR Rahman must check the mirror constantly to see which hat he's wearing. He's currently composing for the musical theatre, rushing to complete arrangements for a Toronto production of The Lord of the Rings .

Soon, he'll be feted by Stanford's PanAsian Music Festival, where, excerpts from his hit CD Vande Mataram will be played along with his rain song from the film Lagaan. Then, it's back on tour as singer-keyboardist. In this incarnation, he leads an exuberant, Vangelis-like fusion of sitar, synthesiser and traditional Sufi music. Later this week, Rahman will be in Hong Kong. If he could pursue only one of those disciplines, which would it be? "I like the way I'm going -- a bit of this, a bit of that," says Rahman, 39.

"It's very satisfying doing all three. Film has its charm, but so too does the stage. Vande Mataram allowed me to reach out to a much younger audience in a very personal, spiritual way. I'd love to do another album like that."

Rahman's take on the national anthem, at first considered risky, even disrespectful, wound up on pop charts, selling in the millions.

"I was at first sceptical that it would reach out," Rahman recalls. "But it went well beyond the city to the coun try, and became popular with Muslims Hindu and Christians. Many started listening to my music started listening."

His Bombay Theme was used in the Nicolas Cage movie Lord of War . In March, another song by him will be featured on the soundtrack of Spike Lee's Inside Man starring Denzel Washington.

Rahman says he's excited about the Stanford tribute. He is also look ing forward to setting the audience straight on the breadth and richness of Indian music.

"There is much more to our music than sitars and tabla drums," he stresses. "I want to go beyond tradi tional music. You must also be true to what is within you, the spiritual side."

Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:41am | IP Logged

A Look Inside the Mind and Soul of Composer A.R. Rahman

By LISA TSERING
India-West Staff Reporter

PALO ALTO, Calif. - The superstar was down-to-earth, with an easy laugh, self-deprecating air, and an ingratiating willingness to speak from the heart. A.R. Rahman traced his career from pre-Roja to post-Rang De Basanti in an intimate, satisfying onstage chat at Stanford University's Dinkelspiel Auditorium Feb. 14 during the school's Pan-Asian Music Festival.

Visiting ethnomusicology professor Natalie Sarrazin prefaced the conversation by tracing the history of what film music was like before a 25-year-old Rahman burst on the scene in 1991 with Roja.

Sarrazin offered a fascinating look at the history of Hindi film music with its penchant for absorbing international influences and its unwritten rules. Each example was illuminated with a charming snippet of video, from films such as Shree 420, Sholay and Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge.

"There are certain 'codes' - iconic sound images - that recur in Indian film music," she said. "The timbre of the Indian female voice is quite prominent, you hear large orchestras and soaring violins, and a wall of sound ... rising violins are a code for a love song."

Rahman turned it all upside down, she explained.

"The first thing he did was to take the orchestral introduction and completely get rid of it." Cueing a scene from the Tamil film Gentleman (Rahman's Tamil compositions were not overlooked during the evening), she demonstrated how Rahman brought in one instrument at a time, creating musical tension. To cheers and shouts from the audience, Sarrazin moved on to musical scenes from Rahman's scores that have become icons themselves: Mani Ratnam's Roja (the witty "Rukmani Rukmani"), Bombay ("Tu Hi Re"), the Hindi version of Yuva and Dil Se ("Chhaiyya Chhaiyya"); Tehzeeb and Saathiya.

"He often puts two incongruous styles together that somehow seem to work," Sarrazin observed, with a clip from Lagaan's English/Hindi song "O Re Chori" and Sushmita Sen's jittery "Shakalaka Baby" (Nayak), which was one of his hit songs reworked to great effect in "Bombay Dreams."

As much as his fans and fellow artists love his music, Rahman is notorious for taking his time on each project. "I have a nice relationship with all directors, but I drive the producers crazy," he joked. "Mani [Ratnam] tells me the story that he told me for Roja, 'I need five songs, and I need them yesterday.' I was gone for three months."

Working with lyricists, too, has its quirks. "Sometimes Gulzar-sahib or Javed-sahib will give me just a title. Other times, they want the tune first, then they'll give the lyrics."

One of the reasons Roja was such a departure from the style of music at the time was the way it was recorded, explained Rahman. "At the time, there were these huge recording halls, with 50 violins," he said. "But I was doing commercials in my own studio. When Mani wanted me to do the music, I said, 'Let's do it at my place.'

"I called my musician friends to come for the session, but at the last minute they all ditched me! I think they had all been offered more money somewhere that day," he said, laughing along with the audience.

"But my mother said, 'God will provide.' I ended up recording [the instrumental version of ]'Choti Si Asha' by myself, on a keyboard and sequencer. I thought I'd need to bring in 50 violins, but Mani said 'No, just be yourself. Follow your instincts.'"

Since he got his start writing ad jingles, wasn't it intimidating to take on the soundtrack to an entire three-hour film, asked Sarrazin. "I was terrified in the beginning," replied Rahman. "But then I learned that if I could write a piece of music that was 30 seconds long, then all I'd have to do is repeat it!"

He's not afraid to repeat what works. Rahman's haunting, cello-heavy Bombay theme, used to poignant effect in that film and in Deepa Mehta's Fire, also cropped up in the Nicolas Cage vehicle Lord of War. And when he was first approached for "Bombay Dreams" by impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber, he said, "I decided, I won't tell them I'll use my old film songs!" ("Ishq Bina" and other hits were reworked in English for the play.)

Rahman traced the history of some of his best-loved pieces, such as the ambitious Vande Mataram project and "Chhaiyya Chhaiyya" ("That was based on a Sufi song from Bulleh Shah, sung originally by Abida Parvin").

Superlatives follow Rahman around like a spotlight: one of India's most prolific and top-selling composers; reportedly the world's top-selling artist, with many millions of records sold, he is now one of the world's most border-bending artists as well.

Just before the Stanford talk, Rahman had jetted from Toronto, where he was overseeing previews of the highly anticipated, lavishly mounted stage show "Lord of the Rings," which will open in March.

"It's the most exciting project I've ever worked on," he observed. "They have 18 big hydraulic things, and people on stilts. It's amazing."

Classically trained at Trinity College of Music in Britain, Rahman, a Padmashree honoree, brought an entirely new sound to the London and Broadway stage with his sparkling score to "Bombay Dreams" (a touring production opened in Costa Mesa, Calif., Feb. 22).

Indeed, the morning after this event, Rahman boarded a plane for Hong Kong, where he led a performance of his cutting-edge "3rd Dimension" show Feb. 18. Rahman's latest tour has the audience don 3D glasses as vocalists such as Alka Yagnik, Udit Narayan, Daler Mehndi, Shankar Mahadevan, Chitra and Hariharan perform his hits.

Rahman has composed the music for a Chinese film (Warriors of Heaven and Earth) and is at work on a symphonic piece for the Birmingham Orchestra that he acknowledges could take years to complete. He's also at work on Mani Ratnam's next film, the Hindi/English Guru, and several Tamil films, almost 20 pending projects in all.

The evening was presented as part of the Stanford Pan-Asian Music Festival, organized by religious studies director Linda Hess and the school's department of music and the Asian Religions and Cultures Initiative. Jindong Cai, Stanford Symphony Orchestra conductor and artistic director of the Stanford Pan-Asian Music Festival, called Rahman in his introduction "one of the most celebrated composers of our time."

A talented group of Stanford music students got the once-in-a-lifetime chance to perform in front of the composer, and gave warmly appreciated versions of Tamil and Hindi pieces such as Lagaan's "Ghanana Ghana." Audience members, too, got a chance to ask Rahman questions afterward, about who his influences are (R.D. Burman and Madan Mohan), and how he stays fresh ("You do the same thing, and people will say, 'Oh God, he's done it again.' I have to follow a film like Lagaan with something completely different.")

He explained how he got his name (the former A.S. Dileep Kumar changed his name to A.R. Rahman when he discovered Sufism) in the 1990s. "I asked Mani and he said okay. If he'd said no, my name would be different!"

Asked by one audience member how he strategizes his career, Rahman just laughed. "I didn't plan anything. I leave it to God. He's a better planner."

And to a question from Sarrazin on where he's going next, Rahman smiled and said softly, "Music has no destination. It's endless. Music is the thing that unites people. There's so much of hatred in the world, that I'm just blessed to be a musician."

:by indiawest

Source: http://www.indiawest.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:42am | IP Logged

Patriotism, stirred pink & basanti - Aamir film's title track sweeps dance floors on Valentine's Day and night

ZEESHAN JAWED

Pink was the predominant colour, but a splash of basanti bathed the dance floors on Valentine's Day. Patriotism, mixed and stirred with the party spirit, was the surprise flavour of February 14 as the city danced all day — and night. Rang De Basanti , the title track of the Aamir Khan blockbuster sung by Daler Mehndi and composed by A.R. Rahman, blasted at every major disc in town.

It is the purity of the Bhangra number that is making it so big, feels the singer. " Rang de… has the Punjabi folk feel that has caught on. Punjabi songs nowadays are being punctuated with very funny electronic sounds. That is where this song has scored. It is doing well in nightclubs because it has a very catchy rhythm and catchy lyrics," Daler Mehndi told Metro from Mumbai.

With no big floor-burner after Kajra re and Dus bahane , the top table-turners in town are raving over Rang de basanti . "Simply put, the urban youth is connecting with the track," says DJ Girish of Shisha Bar. "It's fast, it's got a good base line and a patriotic message."

DJ Vicky of Venom is all for the pace of the track: " Rang de… has its own pace which should not be disturbed," he says, refusing to speed it up digitally.

The last Tricolour track that went down well with the party people was Aa ye o sung by Adnan Sami. It hit the airwaves just before World Cup 2003 and the video featured everyone from Sachin Tendulkar to Amitabh Bachchan. "The track was played in the nightclubs whenever India won a match. The song lost its appeal as soon as India lost the finals," says DJ Akash of Fusion, at The Golden Park.

Lyricist Prasoon Joshi puts down the popularity of the title track of the super hit film to the unrivalled impact that "popular culture" can have on people. That was quite visible on V-Day evening, as the young and the not-so-young cheered every time Rang de… punctuated the mush melodies at Shisha or Venom or Fusion.

"A patriotic song is either very weepy or very slow. Rang de basanti is both feel good and fast," says party regular Randhir Ghosh, 28. Just what the love doctor ordered for Valentine's Day.

Source: The telegraph , Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Go to top