Music Corner

A.R.Rahman (Fan Club) (Page 23)

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:10am | IP Logged

Rehman sings a new tune

[ Wednesday, March 29, 2006 02:03:07 am PTI ]

NEW DELHI: Satellite-based digital radio service provider Worldspace on Tuesday roped in renowned music director A R Rehman as its national brand ambassador.

Rehman would compose an exclusive Worldspace song, besides endorse the company's products, a release by Worldspace said.

"We are delighted to partner with the musical genius of A R Rehman, as he is world-renowned for bringing global rhythms and Indian tunes together to create a distinctive international sound," Worldspace India Managing Director Shishir Lall said.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com

More News: http://www.apunkachoice.com, http://www.prnewswire.com, http://www.newindpress.com, http://www.indiaglitz.com, http://sify.com, http://www.televisionpoint.com,

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:11am | IP Logged

Bangaram technical team

Updated:  03-26-2006 By andhracafe

Satyagrahi..satyame naa ayudham which means truth is my weapon is the tagline for the second directorial venture of Pawan kalyan. Launched at the Annapurna Studios, it was attended by Venkatesh, VV Vinayak, Arjun and Nitin.

This is Kalyan's second film by Surya Movies. The actor feels that AM Ratnam is the correct person to make the film because he had earlier produced films like Indian.

This movie deals with students problems and the actor plays the role of a student leader. The screenplay is by Satyanand and Pawan Kalyan, writers are Patrick Biswas and Siddardha. Camera is handled by PC Sriram and music is scored by AR Rehman.

Source: http://www.andhracafe.com/

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:12am | IP Logged

Ustad celebrates janamdin

Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan with AR Rehman and Sonu Nigam

The who's who of the music industry came together to celebrate Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan saheb's 75th birthday last weekend.

And yes we spotted AR Rahman in a cropped haircut relishing on mean portions of the chocolate mousse cake.

Giving him company were apna Sonu Nigam, Shaan with sis Sagarika, Hariharan, Anup Jalota, Talat Aziz, and Suresh Wadekar. Even Amit Sana, former Indian Idol finalist had tagged along to seek blessings from the maestro. As for the gifts the vocalists were at their miserly best with some renditions of popular tracks to offer and a few small bouquets. 

Source: http://web.mid-day.com/

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:13am | IP Logged

A.R.Rahman's money matters

By MIO Team
Mar 14, 2006, 09:42

Everybody knows that A.R.Rahman is a winner and people simply love his music. He has recently enthralled music lovers with the albums of 'The Rising' and 'Rang De Basanti'. However, shocking waves will run down your spine on hearing this piece of news. Surprisingly, this renowned musician is not paid fully for his work in 'The Rising'.

Rahman is very selective these days and he gives his best in the few projects he does. He has come out with a soothing album for 'The Rising', knowing that it's a big film. But there is a pathetic story behind this music. He received only Rs.10 lakhs, which was paid to the Prague Orchestra.

Meanwhile, producer of the film Bobby Bedi said recently that they have recovered the cost of the film. He also had said that a lot of money had been paid. He seems to be unaware of the due pending.

The makers of the film should know that Rahman deserves much more than they think.

Copyright 2006 by MusicIndiaOnLine.com

Source: http://www.musicindiaonline.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged
'I'm yet to be paid for Mangal Pandey'

By: Lalitha Suhasini
March 12, 2006

SHOW ME THE MONEY: 85 per cent of Rahman's payment for The Rising is still due. Pic: Pradeep Bandekar
We meet the composer 16 floors above sea level at a suburban five-star hotel. A R Rahman is riding the Rang De Basanti wave as calmly as he rode the massive flops: Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose: The Forgotten Hero and Mangal Pandey The Rising.

There are those times when the 'cool' musician chuckles like a little boy, when we ask him about recording with Lata Mangeshkar.

"It was just an idea," he says, dragging the last word with a south Indian twang, and shrugging his shoulders until his neck disappears, "I thought I would sing along with her like a son's reply to a mother's voice." That's as far as he would go to admit that Luka chuppi was an indulgence.

But this time around, we thank Andrew Lloyd Weber for initiating the composer in the art of interaction. In Rahman's own words, a few years ago, after the success of Bombay Dreams, "Andrew taught me that music is also about presentation, and I can't keep going into my shell."

Our drilling session would have sure come up with blanks had we encountered the introvert that Rahman once was.

You said you were tired of period films.
I didn't say that. I said I was tired of people slotting me; just because I did period films like Mangal Pandey people got the impression I wanted to retire and go to AIR.

It took four months to come up with the score for Mangal Pandey. I'm yet to be paid for Mangal Pandey.

I had to be patient enough for Rang De Basanti's release, but knew that people were getting impatient. Most fans thought that I had turned into a desh bhakt with all the period films.

How do you communicate with your fans?

There's a yahoo groups fan base with over 8,000 fans and I keep track.

Let's talk Rang De Basanti
It feels very good. In fact, that's another period film of sorts. Rakeysh and I coordinated with each other for four years for Rang De Basanti. The only difference is that we got a new producer, which was a huge leap.

Rakeysh gave me four scripts and said that he had another small idea, which turned out to be the fifth script. I told him that this is your movie.

It's not a clich. I'd never heard something like this before. I think people are lost today. Especially the younger generation. The film is almost like a coded message for the youth.

How long did you take to compose the score for this one?

It's the quickest score I've ever written. The initial tracks which included six to seven songs took two weeks. Initially Khalbali was recorded fully in Arabic in London, and I sent it to the team over the internet.

All of them said, "What is this? Is this from our film?" Rakeysh said that we should do it in Hindi so that it grows on people and it was his idea that I sing. Rubaroo was completed only two weeks before the music released - only the mukhada was done and we did the antara later. Luka Chuppi took a week, and the background score wrapped up in 10 days.

Which was the toughest?
Khoon Chala was meant to be a loud track.

It was all about expressing a revolutionary's thoughts. I would have hated doing it as it was originally planned, because people wouldn't have been interested in this sort of a track. It just wouldn't fit into Rang De Basanti.

We took a last minute decision to use a romantic melody. Serious lyrics on a love tune made all the difference.

We wanted Mohit (Silk Route) to sing the track and it turned out that Prasoon had worked with the band, and everything just fell into place.

You've recorded Jiya Jale with Lata Mangeshkar previously. How different was it working with her seven years later for Luka Chuppi?

Lataji is more than just a voice. The whole awe of motherhood is summed up in that song because she brings a whole range of emotions to it. She's still the same extraordinary singer.

You mean there are no vocal differences?
The range has come down. There is a problem with high notes that has to be digitally adjusted. But that's a physical thing.

My vocal range has come down too with age.

It's nothing to do with singing capabilities.

The title track didn't have a dhol explosion and was more Urban Asian Underground than a traditional bhangra sound.
Most bhangra tracks are on one scale. We tried to get a little more experimental and I used a chromatic scale.

Daler recorded the track in two hours.

The song had seven antara tunes, and Prasoon wrote lyrics for all. But we had to take out a few antaras because a regular film song could not be so long. It was a tussle with Prasoon. He's the perfect balance between a modern writer and a classic poet. The modern writers overuse words like deewani and mastani, but Prasoon knows his work.

Prasoon mentioned that both of you often locked heads over the lyrics.
Rigidity never works. Both of us were very open. That's the only way that discoveries are made.

You're all set for the Lord of the Rings (LOTR) premiere?

Yes, I'm leaving for the premiere to be held in Toronto next week.

LOTR's been getting good reviews. It has influences of Bulgarian music and Indian classical as well. I can't explain.

You're also composing for Abbas Tyrewala's film aren't you?
It's done. It's young music. It's not a period film. The film is like Abbas — chirpy and youthful.

What's happening to Water?
It's supposed to release in India. The producer gave me a couple of CDs. I've learnt that once I'm done with a soundtrack, I just have to move on.

What are the other new projects?
Now Chinese people (sic) are also bringing their projects after Warriors of Heaven and Earth. When I was in Stanford a couple of offers came in, but it's not just about putting my name to a score anymore. I think work should speak for the artiste.

Down south, I'm doing Shankar's Sivaji and Maniji's new film.

What's your take on the other south Indian composers who've crossed over?

Vidyasagar is very good with melodies and romantic numbers. MM Kreem is a master melody maker.

I loved Criminal and Jism, but haven't heard the other soundtracks.

What are you listening to nowadays?
I haven't had time to listen to anything recently. I last bought a Qawwal live recording by Farid Ayaz. James Blunt is another favourite. I picked up his album in UK a few months ago.

I also heard a few Indian kids in Stanford. They've done a version of Maa Tujhe Salaam and are calling it ragapella. I want to release this track, and show how it's changed over the next generation.
I don't listen to music when I record.

Why do you mostly work nights?
Why not? Now I work early mornings too. I've been travelling so much that jet lag has caught on, and I sleep at night. I work afternoons too sometimes.

Your daughters featured on the soundtrack of Mangal Pandey The Rising
Yes, they were very excited.

Both my daughters Kathija (11) and Rahima (8) are learning music from Ghulam Mustafa Khan saab's son.

There are no tutors for Hindustani music in Chennai. They are also learning Western and Carnatic.

How often are you home?
It depends. I wish I could be there more often.

What's being at home like?
I keep arranging things.

I physically arrange things around the house. I try to be neat.

Otherwise, I'm busy in the studio and keep going at something until the real thing comes along, losing track of everything else. Fortunately, people understand.

Bedi, Aamir Khan and Prince Charles on the sets of The Rising
Rising dues

When we contacted the film maker and producer of Mangal Pandey The Rising, about the long overdue paycheck and both sounded surprisingly uncertain.

"You should be talking to Bobby Bedi," said film maker Ketan Mehta adding, "I'm not aware of this at all."

When producer Bedi was contacted he said, "That's not correct. A lot of the money has been paid. I don't know if there are any dues or not. Now that you have brought it to my notice, I'll just check."

Rahman maintains that only 15 per cent of the dues have been paid. "What he gave me was only for the Prague orchestra," he said adding, "I've received Rs 10 lakhs to pay the orchestra. It was a big film and you can't have cheesy music."

Rahman further added, "Bobby Bedi went on record on TV and said that he recovered his money in the first week itself. I wouldn't go this far usually, but I'm spending my lifetime doing very few projects and I don't want to get cheated. There are people who want to work with me, and I don't want them to get cheated either."
Source: http://web.mid-day.com/smd/play/2006/march/132817.htm
sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:18am | IP Logged

Gowarikar gives KP a Mughal challenge!

RAJEEV Mullick
March 12

ACCLAIMED WRITER KP Saxena has a bigger challenge on hand than he had while penning dialogues for Lagaan and Swades.

This time he has to lace the lines with a generous dose of chaste Urdu and Persian of the Mughal era, along with the Rajasthani language.

The next project that KP has is to write dialogue for Ashutosh Gowarikar's Jodha-Akbar. It will feature Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai and would portray the untold story of the romance between emperor Akbar and his Rajput wife Jodhabai.

The old man is already on the job and would finish it by month-end.
Says KP: "The film is a landmark in my career. Never before I penned dialogue for any historical film. And hence it is a big challenge for me. A lot of balancing is required while writing dialogue for this historical film because it calls for grafting of court language properly blend with Urdu of Mughal era along with lucid Hindi of Rajput period."

"Hence it requires more concentration and extra hard work. Also here I see an opportunity that this film will also help in proving my mastery that I enjoy over Urdu language. Till now people only know me as a Hindi writer. But once the film is ready those who know me will come to know my command over that language as well," he said.

According to the dialogue writer, failure of some of the historical films in the recent time is because of their poor script. Hence the writer Ashutosh Gowariker himself visited scores of libraries across the country and consulted several teachers of history to ensure the realistic flavour of the film, he said.

"I'm visiting Mumbai next month to hand over the dialogues to Gowariker. If the need be dilution of the language will be made so that even common man understand it," he said. KP says that he too may join the crew during shooting to see whether the dialogue penned by him is actually gelling well with the film.

This three and an half hour film will be packaged with six songs. AR Rahman will weave the lyrics of Javed Akhtar into melodious music. Other cast of the film will be finalized shortly and the film is expected to go to floor somewhere around August.

The seasoned dialogue writer shower praise for Gowariker for giving such realistic touch to the film. "Efforts are on to shoot the film at the various forts of Rajasthan, Red Fort in Delhi and other places so that people can actually get the feel of historical era," he said. KP is confident that this big budget film will do wonders and will establish his mettle and command over Urdu and Persian language.

Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged

'Like Aishwarya, I am promoting Indian cinema,' says AR Rahman

Karishma Upadhyay | Wednesday, March 08, 2006  20:22 IST

AR Rahman , who was in Mumbai briefly, explains where and why
he's been missing all this while The trademark curly locks are gone but AR Rahman continues to be as shy as ever. Ask him about the new look and he mumbles, "I had shaved my head before leaving for Haj in January so my hair is still growing back."

Now that his new look has been explained, it's time to talk about the one project that he has been involved with for the longest time - the 'Lord of the Rings' musical stage version.. "I have been working on this for more than two years," he says about the nearly $28 million stage epic which previewed on February 4. The musical opens in Toronto on March 28 and moves to London next year.

Rahman has collaborated on the play's 15 tracks with Varttina, a folk band from Finland. "It was an interesting collaboration, he says, adding, "to those who've heard my music before, I'd say don't expect 'Shakalaka Baby' or 'Chaiya Chaiya'. But would there be any Indian elements in the musical. "Of course, there is a very interesting juncture of the play for which I recorded some alaaps with Shankar Mahadevan," he says with a twinkle in his eye.  

After a long gap, Rahman rocked the nation again with 'Rang De Basanti', and he is obviously satisfied. "Even after so many years, it's nice to hear my work playing in every street in the country."

So why doesn't he do more work in Bollywood? "Simply because I don't have the time," he says, without skipping a beat. Because of the numerous international projects? "I know that a lot of people are upset that I've been concentrating on international work. I'd like to ask them if they wouldn't have grabbed these opportunities if they had been in my place? Also, at some level, I'm promoting Indian cinema just like Shekhar Kapur or Aishwarya Rai. What's wrong with that?"  

u_karishma@dnaindia.com

Source: http://dnaindia.com/

Edited by sweetdisha - 08 April 2006 at 10:30am
sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:20am | IP Logged

Rehman launches Kailash Kher's debut album

IndiaGlitz [Wednesday, March 08, 2006]

At a jampacked music launch at the Raheja Classique club in Mumbai on Tuesday night, music director A R Rahman released the debut album of brilliant singer Kailash Kher. Entitled Kailasa, the album is actually also named after the band that Kher has formed in partnership with musician-composers Naresh and Paresh Kamath, both gifted guitarists and good backup singers.

Rehman, who had a busy night ahead for a film recording, was nevertheless graciously present at the release for half an hour, and did the honors.

Kher thanked "Bhagwan ke puttra (Son of God) Allah Rakkha Rehman" profusely for having graced the occasion, and Rehman, brief and pithy as usual, reminisced, "I am glad to be here for Kailash's album launch. I remember how I first heard of him. I had asked Mehboob, our lyricist, for a new voice that is earthy and strong, and he said, I have just the person for you. That voice can only be that of Kailash!' And he sent Kailash to meet me. The moment I heard him, I knew that here was a voice that was so wonderful, and which had its own unique space.... I want to say that Kailash Kher's voice has something that had been lacking a lot -- it had pure soul!  Allah Ke Bande is one of my all time favorite songs," the genius composer said.

Singer Alka Yagnik too came in specially to congratulate Kailash. "I wanted to come over and congratulate you on your first album. I hope that it is extremely successful! God Bless!" she said to Kher. Later, she too, along with Rahman and Kailash, was mobbed by still photographers.

The band Kailasa performed four songs live, with Kher dedicating the first, Teri Diwani, to Rehman, the audience, and to those who support the fight against piracy.

Sony BMG India MD Sridhar said, "It is indeed a great day for us. In the past too, we have been responsible for launching some great talent, and today, we are proud to be associated with the debut album of Kailash Kher. Over the time we've spent working on this album together, I have not just been exposed to a wonderful talent, but also made a wonderful friend (in Kailash)."

The audience loved the live peformance, and going by audience reaction, Kailasa is bound to be a hit.

Source: http://www.indiaglitz.com

Go to top