India-Forums

Music Corner
Music Corner

A.R.Rahman (Fan Club) (Page 153)

Sudha_rn Goldie
Sudha_rn
Sudha_rn

Posted: 19 August 2006 at 6:41am | IP Logged

Can I continue with the Q&A contest, dolly??

doly_455 IF-Rockerz
doly_455
doly_455

Posted: 19 August 2006 at 11:40am | IP Logged
ya sure.........but we need to come up with somethin new...
Sudha_rn Goldie
Sudha_rn
Sudha_rn

Posted: 19 August 2006 at 10:49pm | IP Logged

Life has come a full circle: A R Rehman

New Delhi, July 11: The man who's given some of the most commercially successful music in recent times is all set to "give space to non-mainstream work and less known but immensely talented artists."

Music Director A R Rehman isn't revealing much about his new label, except that it will be out by the end of the year and that "jazz and classical music will feature prominently."

But why 'KM'? "It's something auspicious in Islam, a symbol of good luck," says the new look music director whose curly mop is neatly trimmed and combed. "I am just back from a pilgrimage," he explains.

Rehman is equally discreet about an upcoming international collaboration where "he is teaming up with a guitarist of international repute."

After wowing the international audience with Bombay Dreams, The Lord of the Rings and the Chinese venture Warriors of Heaven and Earth, he is lending music to the sequel of Shekhar Kapur's Elizabeth and a musical London Dreams. Back home Mani Ratnam's Guru, Shyam Benegal's Chamki Chameli and the periodical Akbar Jodha are some of the other projects that are keeping him busy.

Rehman, who was recently here for a music tune launch, says international productions approach him for his music. "I think it's for my melody which knows no boundaries." He does admit though that the audience abroad is still niche.

However, Rehman's just lost a prize opportunity to work with Baz Luhrmann of Moulin Rouge fame. "He was intimidated by my roster," says the much-in-demand Rehman.

Rehman says nature is his muse and this comes through in the new signature tune that he's created for worldspace, who have also signed him on as their brand ambassador. "I started out with jingles and I am now composing music for advertisements. Life has come a full circle," Rehman says philosophically.

Recently, Rehman has come with his own rendition of the nation anthem Jana gana mana... This comes after the popular Vande Maatram. He doesn't attribute a patriotic motive to his versions though.

"It gave me chance to work with Bharat Bala (who produced the song), my friend from school," Rehman says simply.

Panned by critics for being repetitive till he silenced them with the hugely popular music of Rang de Basanti, one is tempted to ask if signature style is the bane for a music director ? "I think music should rejuvenate. People listen to a music director so many times that if the music gets repetitive, people get sick of it."

The director has a reputation for being difficult to work with. He defends himself saying that if it were the case, he wouldn't be offered so many projects.

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 21 August 2006 at 12:25am | IP Logged
Rahman on bowling over the Hollywood Bowl

By Subhash K. Jha, IANS

A.R. RahmanA.R. Rahman's historic concert at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles last month has changed the equation between Bollywood and Hollywood.

Recalling the exhilarating experience, Rahman says: "They had been trying to contact us for the past year. Finally I let them on to my events manager.

"When I was earlier honoured at the Hollywood Bowl in 2000, they told me it was going to be a non-Indian audience. But a lot of Asians came, which was fantastic. But that process of reaching out to a global audience happened this time at the Hollywood Bowl."

The concert held on July 16 was attended by 18,000 people. Says Rahman, "Eighty percent of the audience was non-Indian. More than an endorsement of my music it was an acknowledgement of our entire film industry. I hate to call Hindi cinema 'Bollywood'. But that's what we represented at the Hollywood Bowl.

"The doubts that I had about our music being appealing to the West were finally cleared. Our sincerity was quite clear to them. It took me years to get unapologetic about our music in front of a western audience. I now realise that the gift god has given me is the gift that I need to use to the fullest in front of audiences in any part of the world.

"That's exactly what I did at the Hollywood Bowl that evening. My musicians and I for the first time felt such pride in doing our own thing. I started the evening with 'Bombay Dreams' which the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra performed, followed by 'Dil Se', 'Rang De Basanti' etc. Then we did choral arrangements of my songs from Mani Ratnam's films with a group called Global Rhythms.

"They're students from Miami University. These kids had been following my music for years. They all flew into Los Angeles at their own expense because they wanted to play with me."

Says Rahman: "I wasn't thinking of the fact that the Beatles or Pink Floyd performed at the Hollywood Bowl. I was just thinking of what I was supposed to do. I got great support from my musicians like Hariharan, Sukhwinder, Madhushree and Sadhana Sargam. Two local dance groups from Los Angeles danced to 'Rang de Basanti' and 'Sona sona" ('Bombay Dreams')."

Rahman is again prompted to look seriously westwards.

"I'm confident about hitting other cities in Europe, Russia, China, Japan with similar concerts. If it worked in America, especially Los Angeles where the cream of the crowd lives, it can work anywhere. And I feel it's not just me moving forward. It's the entire Indian music industry.

"I made a big sacrifice when I did the musical play 'Bombay Dreams' some years ago in England, leaving behind several lucrative offers in Mumbai and Chennai in the process. I think the gambit has finally paid off."

This time Rahman isn't keen on letting his movie assignments suffer. "More international concerts are going to happen now. But not too frequently. I had an international concert tour in September which I've postponed because of my movie assignments in Hindi."

http://www.glamsham.com/movies/scoops/06/aug/21_rahman.asp

Edited by dayita - 26 August 2006 at 12:35am
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 21 August 2006 at 12:27am | IP Logged

RED - The Indian Dance Spectacular

Jeanette - Real SA
21/8/2006
This brand new show will make its world premiere on the Nelson Mandela Theatre stage of the Johannesburg Civic Theatre in August 2006. This is a dance show like no other.

A pure celebration of dozens of styles of movement and dance, RED abounds with flamenco and salsa, capoeira and hip-hop. There is belly dance and kathkali, there is break dance and ballet. All brought together by their influences on and from India and performed by an international cast together with twelve of South Africa's most electric dance performers.

Real Theatre and Shaun Cornell for Ghostly Productions will produce RED in South Africa and performances will be from 10 August to 03 September.

With some tunes you'll recognize and some you most certainly won't, the show features the best contemporary sounds with an Indian flavour. Alongside the haunting melodies and rhythms of Badmarsh and Shri, Nitin Sawhney and Talvin Singh, RED features the high-octane east meets west Hip-Hop and R&B sounds of Missy Elliott and Panjabi MC, with the star vocals of Asha Bhosle and Sukhwinder Singh providing the romance and wit for the show's Bollywood classics.

Live on stage the RED percussionists will keep up the beats and bring the audience to their feet with their traditional dhols and tablas. And they're up against the spectacular talents of the resident RED DJ who scratches and spins his way from Bollywood to R&B.

The show's creator Raza Jaffrey, the original star of Andrew Lloyd Webber's production of A R Rahman's Bombay Dreams and London star of the hit musical Mamma Mia!, is delighted that the show is to premiere here in South Africa. "RED has the feel of a festival and is all about the magic that can come from the meeting of diverse traditions. The show is a hugely evocative, hugely accessible, high-energy mix of the most awe-inspiring moves, and I'm thrilled that some of South Africa's own most exciting and talented dancers and musicians will be making it happen. "

The creative team also comprises of choreographer Alan Harding, and producer Shaun Cornell who return to South Africa after working here together on the hit shows Spirit Of The Dance and Boogie Nights. Pulling together centuries of both the traditional and the new the show promises a colourful and exotic vision of whirling saris and jangling bells; of delicate candlelit ceremonies and the explosion of pure performance.

It also promises that no previous knowledge of Indian customs or dance is required, as the show's creator Raza Jaffrey explains: " …just as the audience of Riverdance didn't have to know anything about the traditions of Ireland our audience won't need to know anything about India. Like Cirque De Soleil, or Stomp or Tap Dogs, RED simply asks you to enjoy the spectacle. And just as with these shows it invites you to be wowed by the skills on display."

Tickets from R140 (excluding booking fee) are on sale at Computicket, call 083 915 8000 or visit www.computicket.com.
http://www.samusic.co.za/indexContent.asp?intContentKey=5752
</> 
related Areas...
Dance Theatre in Theatre

Edited by dayita - 21 August 2006 at 12:29am
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 21 August 2006 at 12:29am | IP Logged

Rahman on bowling over the Hollywood Bowl

Monday, August 21st, 2006

</>

Mumbai - A.R. Rahman's historic concert at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles last month has changed the equation between Bollywood and Hollywood.

Recalling the exhilarating experience, Rahman says: 'They had been trying to contact us for the past year. Finally I let them on to my events manager.

'When I was earlier honoured at the Hollywood Bowl in 2000, they told me it was going to be a non-Indian audience. But a lot of Asians came, which was fantastic. But that process of reaching out to a global audience happened this time at the Hollywood Bowl.'

The concert held on July 16 was attended by 18,000 people. Says Rahman, 'Eighty percent of the audience was non-Indian. More than an endorsement of my music it was an acknowledgement of our entire film industry. I hate to call Hindi cinema 'Bollywood'. But that's what we represented at the Hollywood Bowl.

'The doubts that I had about our music being appealing to the West were finally cleared. Our sincerity was quite clear to them. It took me years to get unapologetic about our music in front of a western audience. I now realise that the gift god has given me is the gift that I need to use to the fullest in front of audiences in any part of the world.

'That's exactly what I did at the Hollywood Bowl that evening. My musicians and I for the first time felt such pride in doing our own thing. I started the evening with 'Bombay Dreams' which the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra performed, followed by 'Dil Se', 'Rang De Basanti' etc. Then we did choral arrangements of my songs from Mani Ratnam's films with a group called Global Rhythms.

'They're students from Miami University. These kids had been following my music for years. They all flew into Los Angeles at their own expense because they wanted to play with me.'

Says Rahman: 'I wasn't thinking of the fact that the Beatles or Pink Floyd performed at the Hollywood Bowl. I was just thinking of what I was supposed to do. I got great support from my musicians like Hariharan, Sukhwinder, Madhushree and Sadhana Sargam. Two local dance groups from Los Angeles danced to 'Rang de Basanti' and 'Sona sona' ('Bombay Dreams').'

Rahman is again prompted to look seriously westwards.

'I'm confident about hitting other cities in Europe, Russia, China, Japan with similar concerts. If it worked in America, especially Los Angeles where the cream of the crowd lives, it can work anywhere. And I feel it's not just me moving forward. It's the entire Indian music industry.

'I made a big sacrifice when I did the musical play 'Bombay Dreams' some years ago in England, leaving behind several lucrative offers in Mumbai and Chennai in the process. I think the gambit has finally paid off.'

This time Rahman isn't keen on letting his movie assignments suffer. 'More international concerts are going to happen now. But not too frequently. I had an international concert tour in September which I've postponed because of my movie assignments in Hindi.'

http://indiaenews.com/2006-08/19175-rahman-bowling-the-holly wood-bowl.htm

Edited by dayita - 21 August 2006 at 12:30am
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 21 August 2006 at 12:32am | IP Logged
MELODY IN THE MOVIES

Rajiv Vijayakar
Posted online: Friday, August 18, 2006 at 0000 hours IST

In the unreleased Dil Ne Ikraar Kiya, an interesting Anu Malik creation 'Tilu timati tilu tilu...' (Sanu-Kavita) goes waste. AR Rahman's trend-breaking and trend-setting entry into Hindi films with Roja, the dubbed version of his maiden film score in Tamil, will have far-reaching implications. Apart from 'Rukmanee Rukmanee...' (Shweta Shetty with Baba Sehgal), the other songs are the two-version 'Roja jaaneman...' (SPB-Chitra), Hariharan's 'Bharat humko jaan se pyaara hain...' and Minmini's 'Dil hai chhota sa ...'. Lyricist P.K.Mishra makes his debut. Neeraj-Uttank, brothers now separately known as writer-director-actor Neeraj Vora and music director Uttank Vora, make their remarkable debut as music directors with Pehla Nasha, their first and last film in this capacity. It will be over a decade before Uttank Vora, alone, will score for another film, Malamaal Weekly, in 2006. In Pehla Nasha, 'Mr Hero ban gaya zero....' (Vinod Rathod-Rajiv Mehta) is the most popular number, while 'Tu hain haseena...', 'Nadiya kinare...' and 'Pyar ki raat...' (Asha-Vinod), Asha's 'Aaj raat bas main...' and Sadhana-Vinod's 'Tum kis liye ho beqaraar...'(Sadhana-Vinod) are all interesting songs that click to different extents.

Bhoopi-Ratan, a new duo, score a decent musical,Koyal, which never releases, despite being a big-banner film. It is marked by four notable tracks, 'Patang jaisa hawaa mein lehraaye...' (Sanu-Kavita), 'Na dhaaga hai na dor...' and 'Mere baagon ki...' (both by Kavita) and Suresh Wadkar's version of the last track. The music directors are never heard of again.

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=13239

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 21 August 2006 at 12:33am | IP Logged
Jodha Akbar announced

Posted online: Friday, August 18, 2006 at 0000 hours IST

After working together on Swades UTV and Ashutosh Gowariker Production will now co-produce Jodha Akbar. Starring Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai, the film is set in 16th century and is the legendary love story of a Mughal Emperor and a Rajput princess. At a budget of Rs 37 crore, the film will be shot at various real locations in Rajasthan and Delhi like Aamir Palace and the Nahar Fort. A replica of the Agra Fort is being created in Karjat. Music is by AR Rahman. AFMI to honour Sunil Dutt
The American Fedreation of Muslims of Indian Origin (AFMI) will confer upon the late Sunil Dutt the Pride of India Award for 2006. Dutt is being honoured posthumously for his efforts as actor-Parliamentarian to promote communal harmony and social justice. Formed in 1989, AFMI is a registered philanthropic charity with representatives in the US and Canada. It had earlier saluted the endeavours of former Prime Ministers VP Singh and IK Gujral, Kiran Bedi, Sam Petroda, N Ram, Arun Gandhi, Obaid Siddiqi and Maulana Abdul Karim. The ceremony will be held in September. Priya Dutt may accept the award on her father's behalf. Rishi-Suniel Shetty in English film
Rishi Kapoor and Suniel Shetty have just finished shooting for British-Asian comedy Don't Stop Dreaming in which they have key roles. Along with a huge cast of newcomers the film also stars pop sensation Taz from Stereo Nation and British stars Michelle Collins, Richard Blackwood and Junior Simpson. Produced by British businessman Munir Ahmed, the film is directed by Aditya Raj Kapoor, who is the son of actor Shammi Kapoor. Humein Jeene Do - A song for a cause
For the first time a song will be released commercially through a wireless and digital platform only and all revenue earned through it will be donated directly to the victims of the 7/11 Mumbai blast. 'Let us live...Humein jeene do' is by the new fusion band comprising of Tauseef and Cheryl. Supporting this song for a cause are singer Sonu Nigam, actors Deepti Naval, Vasundhara Das, Rajpal Yadav and Nethra Raghuraman, Neeraj of Bombay Vikings, lyricist Sameer, music director Shravan and directors N Chandra and Sudhir Mishra. OBIT
Action co-ordinator Ravi Khanna passed away at 77 on August 10 in Mumbai. In a career spanning more than three decades he got recognition for his action scenes in Mera Gaon Mera Desh, Mere Apne, Zanjeer, Laawaris, Qurbani, Kaalia, Disco Dancer, Purab Aur Paschhim, Amar Akbar Anthony, Suhaag, Parvarish, Loafer, Raja Jani and Johny Mera Naam among others.

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=13238

Go to top