dayita

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by A.S.P.I.R.E

It's Himesh vs Rehman now
   By: Sandipan Dalal
   June 14, 2006

Aa dekhen zaraa:
Himesh Reshammiya

He€™s the toast of the season. All his songs have been chartbusters. His compositions have managed to sell movies on their sheer strength. But now, Reshammiya faces the biggest challenge of them all.

As he€™s all set to rock the US with a spate of concerts in July-August, he€™s also going to be taking his greatest inspiration, head-on. AR Rahman will perform in the US at the same time as Himesh, and it will be interesting to see who will win this mother of all battles.

A local show promoter says, €œHimesh is very popular among Asians at large; not just Indians. Rahman may be a bigger name internationally but for the Asian community, it€™s Himesh all the way.€

Himesh€™s tour is called Aap Ka Suroor Live In Concert and is being backed by one of the biggest names in the business, Vijay Taneja of Elite Entertainment while Rahman has tied up with the US-based Global Rhythms as partners for his shows.

The only difference is that while Rahman would be performing at just a handful of cities, Himesh would be taking his troupe all over the country and Canada as well, in a tour spanning over two months.

Incidentally, the average cost of a single Himesh Reshammiya show in the US is around 100,000 US dollars (approx Rs 47 lakh) and the ticket rates have been priced between $35 to $75 (approx Rs 1600 to Rs 3500). These would be classified as among the highest rates commanded by a music director.

Unfair comparison

According to show promoters, comparisons between the two are unfair because each one caters to a totally different audience. €œRahman€™s fan-following is among the mature audience; even foreigners come to his shows to hear his sound,€ says a Houston-based organiser.

Himesh€™s popularity, on the other hand, is more among the youth. €œThe youngsters are just crazy about his songs. This is his first tour and there€™s no doubt, it will be a huge success.€ Accompanying Himesh on the tour, are singers like Alisha Chinoy and Abhijeet Sawant.

Himesh, who is touted as the industry€™s hottest music director right now, has been Rahman€™s biggest fan for years now. He has even gone on records to say that Rahman is the only composer that he would agree to lend his voice for.

But now that he€™s been pitted against him directly in a war of shows, Himesh says, €œI€™m nothing compared to AR Rahman. Since I respect him a lot, I would prefer attending his shows to take his blessings before I head to perform at my concert. Also, if you will check with the organisers, you will know that the tickets for all my show are already sold out.€

source: http://ww3.mid-day.com/hitlist/2006/june/139366.htm

Oh....how can one compare between them....

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:28am | IP Logged

Originally posted by sneha3105

ok how could i miss this (probably cause i dun come here LOL LOL )

i am a huge rehman fan - i've heard his every song! i love his tamil music EVERYTHING!

its a bit late. i'm in though

BTW great club going

Welcome Sneha...your name will be enlisted soon.

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:44am | IP Logged
Bollywood is evolving, says Gulzar

Alka Rastogi

Lucknow, June 17, 2006

Awards, adulation and recognition haven't spoiled Gulzar a bit. The man remains true to his roots. His song, Kajrare, became a nation-wide hit but he passes on the credit to Aishwarya's jhatkas.  

He was in Lucknow recently to accept an award. We caught him in a philosophical mode. He talks about films, Bollywood's evolution and his future plans. Excerpts from an interview:

Why have you stopped directing films? Your last film Hu Tu Tu was released five years ago.
I admit it is along gap. Cinema has gone through a major change in this period. Indian cinema is going through a very interesting phase and has developed a language of its  own.
In future many films may have no story but only talking images, like Bunti and Babli. There is no story in this film but you enjoy the sheer energy of two young characters. I am trying to catch up to this new language in my own way. And I shall definitely return as director and filmmaker

Gulzar with his daughter Meghna
Is there something on your mind?
Yes, but I will not spell out the details. I will start working on it once I have complete confidence in the subject.

Do you think Bollywood has lost the old world charm as far as lyrics, music and playback singing is concerned?
I don't want to comment much. It is true that good lyrics were composed and sung earlier. Old numbers still weave magic. But this does not mean that the present scenario is bad.

Who are your favourites among the new crop of musicians?
Preetam (of Gangster and Dhoom  fame) and Shantanu Moitra. Shantanu was good in Parineeta. Then there is AR Rahman. 

It is said you get along well with young music directors.
Young music directors have positive vibes. Their compositions are in tune with the present time. They are experiment with their work, which I like.

Tell us more about Kajrare
I had put in my heart into it.

What is the most important thing about Kajrare?
Audience dances to its music and beats. This is the biggest acclamation for a writer. He should work in conjunction with the music director and should be able to live up to the music.

Bollywood thinks Kajrare  rocks because of the lyrics.
Don't credit me It is Aishwarya's magic. Credit also goes to the music director.

You have won many awards. Do you aspire for anything else?
I am also used to defeats. Awards are a part of celebration. But you have  to strive hard continuously on the road to excellence. Otherwise people will forget your awards soon

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1722368,001100030003. htm

Edited by dayita - 18 June 2006 at 9:46am
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:50am | IP Logged
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Waiting for Naalai to dawn
        Shifting his stance to action films is Richard. Naalai is the make-or-break film for the strikingly good looking actor. In keeping with the genre of action films, Richard had to shift gears a trifle earlier than he would have wished for. Foraying into an untried area with his drop-dead looks and innocuous smile was in order.         Hardly it was Richard's fault that a rush of gangster films found its way into the theatres before Naalai could see the light of the day. Director Udaya Banu was the most harried man, having to make the necessary alterations at every turn.         A cult movie was how Richard deemed of Naalai. 'It may sound cliched but the final denouement will be a pleasant surprise for the viewers. 'There is the human side to a person even if he happens to be a henchman of a Don. At no stage I felt the uneasiness creeping into the character. That was as good a sign that I did not have to do anything out of the ordinary to pass the audience verdict.'         Sort of a surprise that he had no starting problems in Telugu with that smooth ride in A Film By Aravind Richard attributed the experience good enough to share with his grand children. 'It was a great team work shooting at the forest. You could feel the impact of a Ram Gopal Varma in that arresting way director Shekhar Suri wove the plot. Passing the 100-day mark was a reward, earned the hard way.'         Stumped he was to explain of the bumpy ride in Kollywood bugged by the debacle of Kadhal Virus. 'What more I could have asked for with names like Kathir (director) and A R Rahman (musical score). Not everyone is destined for a smooth start,' Richard said retaining his composure.         When Girivalam sank without a trace, it was palpitation time. Moving over to Malayalam did a lot to soothen his nerves. Kootu did help to lift his sagging spirits, thanks to the expertise of director Jayaprakash.         As Rishi, the actor has made quite a splash in Telugu. Two films are for director Koti Ramakrishna, each script as different as chalk from cheese.         He does not buy the view that the name change did wonders while shifting allegiance.         Down but not out is Richard, sure of the wheel turning a circle. Naalai should provide all the answers.
- K V VASUDEVAN
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:56am | IP Logged
REGIONAL RHYTHMS
Jnana To Gana
Consistent eclecticism has kept Tamil film music virile
S.THEODORE BASKARAN
Special Issue: Bollywood Music Special
When the first Tamil film, Kalidas, opened in Madras at Kinema Central, in October 1931, and the heroine T.P. Rajalakshmi sang on the screen, few in that rapt audience would have realised that they were witnessing the birth of a cultural colossus-Tamil film music.

All the song-laden Tamil films of the initial years were celluloid versions of plays of the popular drama companies. The filmmakers thus tapped a powerful musical tradition-the company drama repertoire. These plays had evolved into a theatre of song and music, a kind of an opera, with minimal spoken words and action. Into the drama music, based primarily on Carnatic style, had been introduced a form of the Hindustani idiom appropriated from Marathi company dramas that had toured the presidency. Folk songs were also featured, and within a decade it began absorbing western music as well.

The cinema industry expanded after sound studios were set up in Madras in 1934. The prospect of steady money attracted classical musicians. There was M.S. Subbulakshmi, along with M.M. Dandapani Desigar. So, people flocked to cinema halls as if they were going to a concert. Music composer Papanasam Sivan gave classical music to the people in a simplified form and helped widen its base. However, when playback singing came into being, there was a separation of acting and singing and the classical musicians had to leave the scene.

In the black-and-white era, the song sequences were in 'real' time. This was the phase when G. Ramanathan and K.V. Mahadevan dominated the music scene. Once colour arrived, filmmakers began to shoot a single song sequence in different locales and in varied costumes. This meant a complete suspension of the logic of time and space for the duration of the song.

Today, film music is all-pervasive in Tamil Nadu. It enjoys a popularity that has few parallels in history. It has transcended categorisations-an important development in a non-egalitarian society. In the '50s, Radio Ceylon brought the songs home when All India Radio, under I&B minister B.V. Keskar, refused to broadcast film songs. Eventually, the minister relented. Later, audio cassettes, CDs, TV and the attendant electronic technology extended the reach of film songs.

Today, no other artiste personifies the popularity of film music as does Ilayaraja. He entered Tamil films in the mid-1970s, when there was stagnation in film music. Ilayaraja's creations came as a whiff of fresh air. The song that made him famous in his debut film Annakili (1976)-Annakili unnai theduthu (Annam is looking for you)-was authentic folk. In his 30 years in cinema, he has composed music for more than 1,000 films in Tamil and four other languages.

But what sets apart Ilayaraja is his grasp of the role of music in cinema. Very few music directors, with the possible exception of L. Vaidyanathan and Salil Chowdhry, have demonstrated an understanding of the medium of cinema and the role of a musical score in the narrative. Ilayaraja doesn't believe in creating film music as a mere aural experience, isolated from the images. For him, music is integral to the effect of the movie. It has to integrate with the narrative, not intrude upon it. It has to go with the images, has to be part of the viewing experience.

Even as Ilayaraja was dominating the scene, A.R. Rahman made his debut with the film Roja (1993) and went on to introduce world sounds and New Age music to our film score. Rahman's stress has been more on songs than on background score. Unlike Ilayaraja, he accentuates the independent aural character of film songs; they aren't necessarily linked to the onscreen images or the characters singing them.

In comparison to classical music, film music might often be denigrated but it has been all-embracing, adopting continuously from several styles.It has supplanted folk music in the lives of common people. Both have a simplicity that doesn't presuppose any knowledge of music. The latest trend in Tamil film music is Gana songs, which can be described as urban folk music spawned by the Chennai working class. The popularity enjoyed by a Gana song, on a marriage between two species of fish, in the 2006 film Chithiram Pesudhadi (Look...A Picture Speaks) is symptomatic of the catholicity of Tamil film music. Hope the future stays just as vibrant.

(Baskaran's An Eye of the Serpent won the 1996 national award for the best film book)
http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20060626&fn ame=HCol+Baskaran&sid=1
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged
EAST/WEST MUSICALS
Play That Back
We know something the West doesn't. Song 'n dance can hold up a film.
NASREEN MUNNI KABIR

Special Issue: Bollywood Music Special
There's more in common than we might imagine between early Hindi talkies and the Hollywood musical.
When Warner Brothers developed the Vitaphone sound-on-disc system that first gave cinema a voice, Broadway star Al Jolson did not hesitate to leave the stage for
a successful career in the movies. Jolson became the world's first movie star after he sang in the otherwise silent film, The Jazz Singer (1927). When Ardeshir Irani made India's first sound film, Alam Ara (1931), he too looked to theatre for inspiration.

Following the 1929 Wall Street crash, many New York theatres were forced to close, prompting a flurry of stage stars, like Fred Astaire, Eddie Cantor and Fanny Brice, to head for Hollywood. Librettists and choreographers, including the famous dance director, Busby Berkeley, soon followed. Berkeley developed a highly cinematic language for choreography by using revolving stages, mirrors and shooting close-ups, top shots and the most unusual camera angles for dances.
A film critics poll in the UK had just one musical in their Top Ten list, Singin' in the Rain. And it held up the tail, at No. 10.
In India too, many early screen performers came from the theatre, and found that their strong singing voices and dancing skills gave them a major advantage.

Through the 1930s and '40s, the Hollywood musical was the preferred family entertainment—synonymous with the golden era
of American popular entertainment. This was particularly true during the Great Depression, as big-spectacle musicals offered an escape from the daily struggles of many Americans. In addition, they were nearly always romantic and an ideal vehicle for the popular "happy ending". Adding dance to the mix introduced yet another established art form to cinema—choreography—with much to offer in the way of cinematic spectacle.

In India too, dance found its way into cinema with a variety of forms giving early sound cinema wonderful material from which to draw inspiration. Early examples of special note are J.B.H. Wadia's The Court Dancer (made in Hindi and English) and 1948's Kalpana, an effective, surreal dance fantasy directed by Uday Shankar. Shankar's film is nearly entirely woven around dance and is an extraordinary work, suggesting a path that Indian cinema could have followed but never did. Perhaps because his style of film choreography was so individual, its impact was only noticeable in a few works—the most famous examples being Ghar aya mera pardesi (the three-part song-and-dance sequence that begins as a dream and ends as a nightmare) in Raj Kapoor's Awaara (1951), choreographed by Madame Simkie (Uday Shankar's associate) and the amazing drum dance in S.S. Vasan's Chandralekha, choreographed by Jaya Shankar's team. Indian 'filmi' dance has over the years become recognised in its own right, and is on a par with the best film choreography anywhere.

On the US stage, however, song and dance routines—with the exception of opera—were confined to 'the musical'. On screen, a musical was synonymous with pure entertainment—as though song and dance by definition lightened the tone. This is still the case today: a film critics' Top Ten poll in 2002 by the UK's Sight and Sound magazine, had only one musical, Singin' in the Rain (1952), at No. 10. This could explain why the West has, until recently, been dismissive of Indian movies, unable to think of them as anything other than lightweight romantic musicals.

The reality is different. In India, the use of film music has never been seen merely as popular and escapist, perhaps because its origins lie in classical, folk or urban Indian theatre traditions. These are rightly understood as established art forms, with virtually no distinction between narrative, music and song. So, unlike a majority of their Western counterparts, Indian audiences can sit as comfortably through song-and-dance routines in films with a heavy political tone (Bombay) as they can in comedies (Munnabhai MBBS).

Love for the classic Hollywood musical faded by the '70s, though rock-'n- roll era movie Grease was a big hit in 1978. Yet the musical is a resilient genre that lends itself to reinvention. Whenever an imaginative director like Bob Fosse (Cabaret and All that Jazz), Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge) or Rob Marshall (Chicago) comes along, the audiences' appetite is revived once more. Interestingly, the Hollywood musical has gone back full circle: recent Broadway hits like Billy Elliot, The Producers, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang etc are adapted from or inspired by movies. And whilst Western audiences have lost much of their interest in screen musicals, it is worth noting that on Broadway, 24 out of the current 30 shows are musicals. No surprise then that Andrew Lloyd Webber's Bombay Dreams (music by A.R. Rahman and choreography by Anthony Van Laast and Farah Khan) has had more mainstream success in the West than any Bollywood film has managed so far.

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20060626&fn ame=FThem+and+us+(F)&sid=1
doly_455 IF-Rockerz
doly_455
doly_455

Posted: 20 June 2006 at 2:35am | IP Logged
hi guys.....i think we shud start a trivia kind of thing....
1 shud ask a q's abt ar rehman and any 1 could answer....if it is not answered by any 1 in next 3 posts then the person can answer it and ask another 1........

lets start......

my question is........

which was the first movie in which a. r rehman had given music for......??
sammie IF-Rockerz
sammie
sammie

Posted: 24 June 2006 at 5:29am | IP Logged
roja

Go to top