A.R.Rahman (Fan Club) (Page 124)

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 5:45am | IP Logged
 Scoops & News

Long way to register presence in Cannes- Keni

By Manissha Despaande, Bollywood Trade News Network

For all the reports and the excitement about the Indian contingent's huge presence of business savvy traders, exporters and producers at the Cannes film fest, industry observers feel that India has a long way to go before it registers its presence in Cannes. Ex-N.F.D.C. producer turned overseas distributor, Nittin Keni, who has been a regular at Cannes during his tenure at N.F.D.C. and thereafter, but is not part of the revelry this year, feels that the real Indian presence will be reflected only when a film is screened in one of the main sections, which could be either the competitive section, the director's cut or the critic's section. Says Keni, "I have been to Cannes more than 20 times during my tenure in N.F.D.C. and though it is true that Indian producers are trying to register a presence on the international circuit, the real Indian presence will be reflected only when a film is entered in one of the mainstream sections of the festival."

The film market screening, according to him, is more at the behest of the buyers, who have to be persuaded into watching a film. The statistics indicate that there are 2000 films that are entered into the film market every year, when producers seek international buyers for their films. However he points out that the C.I.I. (Confederation of Indian Industries), has taken a keen initiative by putting up its stall at the fest since the last three years.

The only film that has really got its due at the festival, according to him is the Aishwarya Rai starrer PROVOKED. "The film had the distinct advantage of a special screening and definitely made a presence at the festival, something that only a few notable films can afford," Keni reveals.

Keni was among the privileged few who caught a glimpse of the film in Chennai when he met the producers to negotiate the overseas rights of the film. "Music director A R Rehman was recording the background score for the film at that time and my first observation was that it was Aishwarya Rai's best performance to date. I was convinced from that very point of time that the film would make its mark on the international scene, which it certainly seems to have started making," he says.

http://www.glamsham.com/movies/scoops/06/may/23keni.asp

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 5:48am | IP Logged
An exclusive interview with A R Rehaman
Saturday June 10 2006 16:51 IST

Subhash K Jha

How did Rang De Basanti's soundtrack turn out so special? It was a special effort. Very rarely does one come across filmmakers who excite and enthuse you as much as Mani Rathnam, Ram Gopal Varma and Rakeysh Mehra. Just before shooting we did a workshop with all the music I had composed for my film. I discovered there was a slow song just before interval which was a no-no according to trade pundits. They were wrong. Earlier I had thought people would walk out in Tu hi re (Roja), O paalan haare (Lagaan) and now Lukka chuppi (Rang De Basanti). I was wrong. It all depends on how the director treats the music.

Your music has achieved the crossover which our cinema hasn't. I hope so. Doing music for Deepa Mehta's trilogy Fire, Earth and Water was also very satisfying though doing songs for these films was a kind of sacrifice for me. They were put in the background. Most of my fans hate that. They ask me not to do that. I've been rather unfortunate with some scores that I worked hard on and they never got released. I've become some what conscious of the projects I take up. If my songs get a raw deal I'd rather just do the background music.

During our last conversation you had said Chennai would always be your home. You never know. I'm trying to cut down drastically on my travelling. Though it was a learning experience I need to be at home more now. The kids are growing up. I need to be with the family more often. A year back I didn't allow my kids to be anywhere near me. Now they're all over the place while I compose! I think it's very important for them to absorb the ambience.

Are your children musically inclined? They've just started learning classical music from Ghulam Mustafa Khan saab. Just last week he came and took over their training.

Is doing the background score as satisfying as doing songs? Unfortunately that era when a composer could create something as durable and enduring as Lara's Theme (Dr Zhivago) is almost over. But I'm sure great themes will come back. Internationally, my career did take off after Bombay Dreams. It was an A R Rahman musical. It allowed me to go into a direction no one had gone before. Now of course I can compose for international projects from my home in Chennai.

Your slow pace used to be a problem for Bollywood filmmakers. How can my working methods be a problem for anyone? It's like saying, 'sitting and eating is a problem, so let's stand and eat'. Every person has his own rhythm of work. I believe Naushad saab did just only 47 films in his lifetime. And he never regretted it. And look at what he did to film music. I have my own way of working. It's a matter of priority. When I'm doing something that I don't enjoy doing, when I'm not in control, then the quality of work might suffer. I'm at my best when I'm in control of my work. Change of course is inevitable. That's why I keep renovating and innovating.

What are you doing in Hindi? Rakeysh Mehra has given you to do an entirely Indian classical score in Bhairavi? This was one of the scripts we wanted to do earlier. Now the whole concept has changed and it's far more exciting. Most of the work that I'm doing is for musicals. And yes, a period film too, Ashutosh Gowariker's Jodha-Akbar. It's a romantic film, and romantic films always work. I also have Chamki Chameli which is being produced by Sanjay Gupta and directed by Shyam Benegal. It's a full-on musical. I also have Raj Santoshi's London Dreams. There I've to recreate British underground music. I'm collaborating with music producers from Birmingham to get the London underground feel to the score. Right now, I'm doing Mani Rathnam's Guru where I'm again working with Gulzar saab.

Do you understand his lyrics? I do. I'm not that dumb any longer (laughs).

Guru is again a period film. There are different kinds of period films. There are romantic period films, and patriotic period films. Guru is partly period partly contemporary. No one wants to watch patriotic period films anywhere.

Do you think international success has eluded you? It can't happen overnight. My agent keeps telling me I'd get a lot of work in LA if I went there. But what I'm doing here is more important. I've invested a huge amount in my studio in Chennai. I need to invest time in it.

How does life look to you? Life is always a struggle. I feel I'm just starting out. I can't afford to get lazy at 40. Lots of things have changed. Lots of young people love music, and that's a good thing. But music doesn't sell, and that's a bad thing.

Do you think you've achieved what you had set out to? I didn't set out to achieve anything. It all happened on its own. I always go with the flow.

What do you think of Himesh Reshammiya's music? He fills a lacuna in Hindi film music, just like Nadeem earlier on. He's trying to mix a lot of genres. People like his music. It's good. There're audiences for large genres of films. And he's doing a good job.

Himesh says he won't sing for any outside composer except you. I'm flattered!

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IEE2006061006300 9&Page=E&Title=Startrek&Topic=-59

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 6:04am | IP Logged

AR Rahman - Live in Melbourne

AR Rehman Show - Melbourne

From L to R(foreground) - Chitra, Sadhana Sargam, Unknown, Madhushree, Alka Yagnik, Kailash Kher, AR Rahman, Shankar Mahadevan, Hariharan(in the dark).

There was excitement in the air when I woke up yesterday morning (or was it afternoon :D....well almost). I was going to a Live music show (my first one) and more than anything it was AR Rahmans show. A few months before the movie Roja released, I heard news from many sources that a new Music Director who has great potential had given music to Roja. I chose to ridicule that claim, the staunch Ilayaraja fan that I was.  But it was not long before I accepted Rehman as a class act. This however did not change my view of Ilayaraja. From Roja, AR Rahman has come a long way and has gone on to become a global achiever.

The venue was the Rod Laver Arena (better known as the main court for the Australian Open Tennis) and the time was 7 pm. The show started about 10 mins late but it started with a bang. ARR made a grand entry in white and in his shy voice said hi to the Melburnians who welcomed him in grand fashion. He immediately started off with Fanaaaaaaaa Fanaaaaaaaaa.......wow Whatta Start!!!!!!! The singers who had come were Shankar Mahadevan, Hariharan, Kailash Kher, Blaaze, Sadhana Sargam, Alka Yagnik, Chitra and Madhushree. There were non stop hit numbers right from Bombay to Lagaan, Taal to Swades, Dil Se to Mangal Pandey, Kandukonden Kandukonden to Rhythm, Mahanadi to Boys. The singers were very good as well. They were improvising a few songs, mixing a few songs in Hindi and Tamil, adding a few rap bits in some others.......

Humma Humma..., Chaiyyan Chaiyyan...., Thaniye Thannathaniye..... were a few songs that got the crowd on their feet. Shankar Mahadevan showed just how versatile he is and his stage presence is worth mentioning. He was interatcing with the crowd. Hariharan was not far behind, he had his moments with the crowd too and his voice.......just fantastic. Among the ladies, Sadhna Sargam was very good and Chitra was melodious as usual. ARR was performing on the synthesiser, the piano and was also lending his voice for certain bits. He also sang Ye Jo des hai tera and Humma Humma and a few other numbers. In reply to a vocie from eth audience that said "I love you Rahman", ARR replied in a shy and coy manner "I love you tooooo" :)

At about half time, while the troop was on a break, Sivamani - the percussionist performed a solo for about 10 mins and his performance is beyond words. He just confirmed to me that he is the worlds best. He was just Fantabulous. After this break, ARR performed  the theme song for the UNO Poverty Eradication program, a tune that he had composed with Blaaze. Fantastic again. The crowd got into the mood as well. As we didnt have candles with us, we used the display lights of our mobile phones and were swinging away. It was a wonderful sight and very creative I must say.

A jugalbandhi between Shankar Mahadevan (vocal) and ARR (piano) - Ghanana Ghanana....from Lagaan, was very engrossing. Then an improvised version of the same song with a very fast beat (ARR's tune incase the movie had to show that it actually rained) - Shankar was tremendous.

A section of the crowd was not happy with Tamil songs being sung and were shouting for Hindi songs. To me, this was ridiculous. With ARR, one should expect a few Tamil songs atleast. I thought ARR did well to choose Tamil songs that were also dubbed in Hindi, so that the crowd could relate to them better. About 50% of the songs were Hindi numbers, 25% of the songs weremixed (parts in Hindi and parts in Tamil),  about 10% were Tamil songs which were also dubbed in Hindi and the remianing 10% were purely Tamil songs. The crowd complaining was ridiculous given the minimal % of songs that were purely Tamil. The majority of the crowd were Tamilians (guaged from the applause and acceptance that each Tamil number received).

By now it was 4 hours of fantastic entertainment, not just songs but also a few dances in the background. A fitting finale was Vande Mataram from the man himself and all the artistes joining them on stage for the grand finale. In all it was a very exciting evening and the fact that the show was for a cause (charity) made it so much better.

posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 12:24 PM

http://o3.indiatimes.com/rpramod/archive/2005/09/11/248964.a spx

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 6:09am | IP Logged

A Passion for Quality Music

by

S.R. Ashok Kummar
    (for 'The Hindu')

With his mop of dusky curls, t-shirt and jeans, he looks  like  a
        teenage  college  student,  but  the very first film for which he
        scored music fetched him the National Award. It  and  his  subse-
        quent  films  were also musical hits. The young music director of
        the South, A.R. Rahman, who shot into limelight with  "Roja"  for
        blazing  a  new  trial in film music, has grown in stature and in
        undoubtedly here to stay.

Question: How did you come into films?

A.R.Rahman: My father, R.K.Shekar, was a music director in Malayalam
        films.  He assisted Salil Chowdhary, Devrajan and others. He
        died when I was nine. At 11, I came to the field, playing on  the
        keyboards  and  later  as  an  accompanyist. I worked under under
        various music directors in Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam  -  Ramesh
        Naidu, M.S.Vishwanathan and Illayaraja. It started becoming a bit
        monotonous. I thought advertising would be  a  good  alternative.
        This  went on for three years. I built my studio and took to dif-
        ferent forms of music - pop, rock and so on.  It was then that  I
        met  producer  Tirlok Sharadha, cousin of ManiRathnam at a party.
        He (Mani) came to my studio and heard some of my tunes. We agreed
        to work together though we did not then decide on which movie.Only
        later he told me it was to be "Roja" which he was  directing  for
        K.Balachander.

Passion for Quality Music
                                     by
                            S.R. Ashok Kummar

Contd...
--
Q: Despite your success, you do not seem to be working in  a  lot
of films.

ARR: Rather than making money, I believe in making people  happy;
        all  other  things are secondary. That is why I am not interested
        in a lot of movies but only in one at a time.  I  like  directors
        whom  I  can vibe with. Ten years of experience in this field has
        made me quite frustrated. I have evolved a  technique  which  re-
        quires  a  lot  of  time.  Other music directors record a song in
        seven or eight hours. But I am different. we do a  basic  sitting
        and we record it. we record the voice and I add instrument by in-
        strument to improve the quality.

Q: Will not the producers say that you are  delaying  their  projects?

ARR: My process involves a lot of time. The delay is  not  inten-
        tional.   That  is how I get my results.  When people say that in
        "Gentleman" and "Thiruda Thiruda" the music is good and not  like
        the  usual beats, I feel happy. Abroad, in some places, they take
        three months to make an album.
Q: Do you use computer in your films?

ARR: No. Not computers.  The technique involved is different.  In
        fact,  they  say  the music in "Roja" was computerised. As I said
        earlier the recording takes time. You can  hear  the  same  flute
        here  in a different way. It is not computerised music. Nearly 40
        persons sang 'Veerapandi Kottayile' (a song from "Thiruda Thiru-
        da")  that  does  not sound like computer music.  'Vellai Mazhai'
        (from "Roja") is sync oriented.  I do not restrict the musicians,
        but  ask  them  to  play whatever they feel. Then I record what I
        want. I spend a lot of time on lyrics too. It takes  around  four
        days.  We write something in the first instance and then improve.
        So it takes about a week to complete a song.

Q: Then you will be working only in perhaps half a dozen films  a
        year?

ARR: What will I do if I work for  more  films  and  only  a  few
        click? I do not want my energy to be wasted. I want every film to
        be a musical hit. In fact, "Thiruda Thiruda" songs have created a
        record  for  any Tamil film - 25,000 discs were sold in Malaysia.
        They are going to give us platinum discs.
Q: You say you are choosy, but you also go in for popular  songs.
        Why is it so?

ARR: Different people need different songs. I want to go down  to
        the  people  at various levels. When I toured Tamil Nadu, I found
        that people wanted songs that would make them happy.  Also  noth-
        ing  vulgar.  There is nothing vulgar in "Sikku bukku Sikku bukku
        raile" (a song from "Gentleman").

Q: So you want to be with the masses?

ARR: No, rather I want my music to reach everywhere.  If  I  play
        rock,  only  youngsters  will understand, while older people will
        say "Why is he shouting  like  this?".  Each  category  of  music
        reaches only one circle: for the class audience "Thiruda Thiruda"
        and for the masses "Gentleman".

Q: Does basic knowledge of Carnatic music help?

ARR:  Sure.  I  am  learning  Carnatic   classical   music   from
        Dakshinamurthy  and  Hindustani from Krishnan Nair. I like tradi-
        tional music much.

Q: Why is it that the songs these days go out  of  people's  mind
        soon unlike the old numbers?

ARR: In those days, the lyrical value was greater in songs.

Q: You want to be called number 1 in the industry?

ARR: No. Numbers are not decided by me, but by the grace  of  God
        and  by  the people.  I want my job to be interesting and fun.  I
        just do not want to get stuck again in monotony.
http://thaxi.hsc.usc.edu/rmim/sami/R-rehman.txt

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 6:14am | IP Logged

Pan-Asian Music Festival: Tribute to A. R. Rahman

We offer a valentive for fans of Indian cinema. No superlative seems quite enough to describe A. R. Rahman, India's phenomenal composer of film and popular music, who has composed music for nearly 100 films in Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu, revolutionized Indian film music, released albums of unprecedented popularity, composed for the stage in London and beyond, and won the Padmashree, one of the Indian government's highest cultural awards, all before the age of 40. This tribute, in conjunction with Stanford Film Studies, will include a retrospective of his film achievements and an on-stage interview followed by Q&A.

Date and Time:
 Tuesday, February 14, 2006.  7:30 PM.
Audience:
Faculty/Staff
Alumni/Friends
General Public
Students
Category:
Music
Film
Sponsor:
Department of Music
(650) 723-2720
[email protected]
Admission:
$20 general/ $10 student
Download:
Last Modified:
January 31, 2006
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 6:17am | IP Logged
A.R. Rahman's journey from 'Roja' to 'Rang De Basanti' Staff Reporter Chennai: Chennai continues to go gaga over radio. And FM's best days are still ahead, according to the All India Radio's '107.1 FM with Niladri.' The show is sold as the only one to play English and Indi-pop music besides other genres on prime time. Now the producers of the show have more music for your ears. The "mother of all interviews" is scheduled on January 28 between 7 and 8 p.m. A.R. Rahman will be talking to Niladri about his journey from 'Roja' to 'Rang De Basanti'. He will discuss his music and his dreams for the future over the course of the hour. 107.1 FM airs every Saturday at 7 p.m. Listeners can win prizes during the hour. They can even host a part of the show, if they're lucky and feel up to the challenge.

The producers claim that the show is ready to take the next big step. To find out for certain, tune in on Saturday.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/28/stories/2006012814640200.htm

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 6:26am | IP Logged
A.R.Rahman

Full Name

Allah Rakha Rahman

Original Name

A.S.Dileep Kumar (changed in 1982)

Pet Names

Chennai kid, Prodigy Rahman

Date of Birth

6th January ,1967

Born and Brought up in

Chennai

Religion

Hindu converted to Islam

School

Shifted often. Done in Padma Sesadree Balabhavan too.

College

Madras Chiristian College -Drop out

Formal Qualifications in Music

Degree in western classical music from The Trinity College of Music,Oxford University under scholarship.

Training in Hindustani ,Carnatic classical styles.

Family Details

Father: R.K.Sekhar,Malayalam music composer.Passed away when rahman was 9.

Mother:Kasturi (Kareema Begum), House wife

Siblings:3Sisters.Kanchana,Bala(Talath),Israt

Wife

Saira Banu(Arranged Marriage,1995)

Daughters

Kathija , Rahima.

First Salary

Rs.50 for operating a record player

First Ad Jingle

For Allwyn watches (1987)

First Music Album

Deen Isai Malai-Tamil Devotional

First Film

Roja(1992)

First voice in

Chorus: Roja

Complete Song: Humma Humma-Bombay

Amount Got For Roja

Rs.25000

Popular Ad Jingles

Leo Coffee,Parry's,Boost featuring Kapil and Sachin.

Awards

National :3

State : 6

Padmasree (2000),FilmFare and many more

Loves

To experiment a lot

Hates

Languages as a barrier for Music

Believes in

Relentless labour, high enthusiasm and commitment.

Stresses on

Quality and Originality

Attitude

Never say die!

Positive Quality

Down to earth!

Biggest Challenge

People's Expectations

Biggest Achievement

Taking tamil music to non-tamilians

About wife

She is anything but quiet!

About God

He pulls the strings in my life!

About success

I'm the person I always was,I've learnt to separate myself from my desires and my success.

Favourite musical instrument

KeyBoard

Past time

Meditation,Internet,Taking family to Dharga

Address

No: 5, 4th Street, Dr.SubbarayaNagar,

Kodambakkam, Chennai-24, Tamilnadu.

Studio

Panchathan Record Inn(Backyard of House)

Phone

044-24836072

Fax

Email:

[email protected]

http://www.nilacharal.com/enter/celeb/arrahman.html
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 6:27am | IP Logged
A.R. Rahman presence rocks alma mater Susan Muthalaly
The former PSBB-Lake Area student was chief guest at the 25th annual inter-school cultural meet

A SIGN FOR THE FUTURE: Students crowd around A.R. Rahman for an autograph at PSBB School's Cultural Reverberations 2005. — Photo: K. Pichumani
CHENNAI: A.R. Rahman went back to school at the behest of his mother and English teacher. This time, the former PSBB-Lake Area student who "was the one-man band for all the school events" in his time, was the chief guest at the inauguration of the 25th annual inter-school cultural Reverberations 2005. Violinist brothers Ganesh and Kumaresh were the guests of honour. He was greeted with hysterical screams and cheers as soon as his famous curls became visible to the students. He apologised for his late entry ("I was working through the night"), but the students did not seem to mind. The DJ kept playing bursts of Rahman hits such as Muqabla, Fanaa and Vande Mataram. The last was also performed spiritedly by the school band, an appropriate choice as Ganesh also played for it. Rahman said though he was musically inclined even as a schoolboy it was during one of the culturals that he got his first taste of rock music such as Deep Purple. "Yeaaah Deep Purple!" yelled one young man enthusiastically and the DJ played the opening strains of "Smoke on the Water" as Rahman looked on amused. Reverberations was also significant to the two guests of honour as Kumaresh once made a clean sweep of the music prizes when he participated in the culturals as a student of Santhome High School.

The culturals had an invigorating and memorable opening when Ganesh and Kumaresh sang a bhajan of Sai Baba and Rahman sang "Dil Se" ("Wrong song for you, but I like this song," he said).

http://www.hindu.com/2005/09/02/stories/2005090214240200.htm

Go to top