sammie

Posted: 07 June 2006 at 11:20am | IP Logged
hi swetha
good to c u back Big smile
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 6:42am | IP Logged
BJP flays 'fatwa' against singing of 'Vandemataram' Special Correspondent HYDERABAD: The State committee of the Bharatiya Janata Party has condemned the 'fatwa' reportedly issued by two old city organisations against rendition of 'Vandemataram' in schools. At a press conference here on Wednesday, BJP floor leader G. Kishen Reddy dubbed the action in issuing the fatwa as "anti-national". He said 'Vandemataram' was the country's national song and had inspired lakhs of youth during the freedom movement. It was improper to rake up a controversy about it.

The 'Vandemataram' album by well-known music director A.R.Rahman had also inspired the present-day youth.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/06/08/stories/2006060812980400.htm

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 6:57am | IP Logged

HELLO, BOLLY

Spoof of Indian movies bubbles with personality

By ELAINE LINER
SPECIAL TO THE STAR-TELEGRAM
Sachin Bhatt plays Akaash, a poor kid who tries to make it in Indias film industry, in Bombay Dreams. The musical runs through June 18 at Music Hall at Fair Park in Dallas.
SPECIAL TO THE STAR-TELEGRAM/MIKE FUENTES
Sachin Bhatt plays Akaash, a poor kid who tries to make it in India's film industry, in Bombay Dreams. The musical runs through June 18 at Music Hall at Fair Park in Dallas.

DALLAS -- Every Bollywood movie has a "wet sari scene." So there has to be one in Bombay Dreams, a glitzy spoof of India's beloved formula movie musicals now playing at Dallas' Music Hall at Fair Park.

The biggest moment in Act 1 is Shakalaka Baby, a hip-shaking, head-bobbing production number that features an enormous fountain spewing water to the rafters and drenching pretty sari-clad dancers and the romantic hero, Akaash (Sachin Bhatt), head to toe. It's the high point in a show many New York critics considered all wet.

Bombay Dreams, based on an idea by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Shekhar Kapur, with music by A.R. Rahman and lyrics by Don Black, bombed on Broadway after a two-year hit run in London. New York audiences, not up on their Bollywood references, just didn't warm up to its simplistic rags-to-riches story of Akaash, a handsome boy from the slums, and his sudden rise to stardom in India's churn-'em-out film industry.

As he gains fame, Akaash turns his back on his old friends and falls into a tempestuous affair with his co-star, the divaesque Rani (Sandra Allen), though he pines from afar for the nice girl, a young filmmaker named Priya (Reshma Shetty).

By the end, of course, after songs asking questions such as Is This Love? and How Many Stars? (a gorgeous duet featuring Akaash and Priya) the right couple is in each other's arms and everybody's Shakala-ing back into that fountain again.

The touring production, while not anywhere close to the caliber of a Wicked or a Phantom, isn't nearly the disaster some had predicted. Actually, it's a charming, colorful show with some of the best choreography -- all authentically Bollywood-style -- to hit the Music Hall stage since Flower Drum Song a few seasons back. (The recent Little Women musical was almost dance-free, except for a few quick waltz steps.)

You know that Disney Channel hit, High School Musical? Take it out of its high school setting, set it in an Indian movie studio, dress everyone in sparkly pink, purple and mango and you've got Bombay Dreams. Boy meets, loses and gets girl--and everybody sings and dances around them with wide smiles and boundless energy.

Contrived? Sure. Silly? A little. But fun? Big fun. With some sweet romance, a lot of broad comedy and a big splash of spectacle.

GRADE: B+

Bombay Dreams

Through June 18; 8 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and Sunday, 2 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays and June 15

Music Hall at Fair Park, 909 Parry Ave., Dallas

$11-$69

817-467-2787 or 214-631-2787

www.dallassummermusicals.org

sammie IF-Rockerz
sammie
sammie

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 8:27am | IP Logged
hi friends
this is my 3000th post
i know it doesnt hav nething to do with ARR fan club, but 4 some personal reasons i wanted to post this one here
i'm not expecting ne congo or nething , they will spam this thread, but plz allow me to post this msg here

thanks Smile
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 8:31am | IP Logged

Originally posted by sammie

hi friends
this is my 3000th post
i know it doesnt hav nething to do with ARR fan club, but 4 some personal reasons i wanted to post this one here
i'm not expecting ne congo or nething , they will spam this thread, but plz allow me to post this msg here

thanks Smile

You are not expecting, but Congrats Sammie...But have you completed the assignment that i gave you?

sammie IF-Rockerz
sammie
sammie

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged
no dayita , not till now, sorry Embarrassed
and when u hav said congrats, thanks Smile

Go to top