dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 04 June 2006 at 2:11am | IP Logged
Today in Theatre History: MAY 31
By Ernio Hernandez
and Robert Viagas
31 May 2006
1946 Orson Welles circumnavigated the stage in Around The World , a musical he adapted from the Jules Verne novel, "Around the World in Eighty Days," Cole Porter provided the music and lyrics for the production, mounted at the Adelphi Theatre. 1978 Waiting for Godot is produced at the Leperq Space of the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Walter D. Asmus directs Samuel Beckett's own English version of his play. Austin Pendelton (Oh Dad, Poor Dad..., The Diary of Anne Frank) assumes the role of Estragon for this BAM Theater Company production. 1979 Liv Ullmann won't be forgotten as she headlines at the Majestic Theatre in I Remember Mama. The Richard Rodgers-Martin Charnin musical with book by Thomas Meehan is directed by Cy Feuer. It will play 40 previews and 108 performances before closing Sep. 2. 1984 John Malkovich and the Steppenwolf Theatre Company of Chicago bring Lanford Wilson's Balm in Gilead to New York City at the Circle Repertory. Terry Kinney, Tanya Berezin, Gary Sinise and Glenne Headly star in the play set in a Broadway coffee shop under the direction of Malkovich. 1998 Natalie Portman, making her stage debut as the star of the Broadway revival of The Diary of Anne Frank, leaves the production at the Music Box Theatre to return to her movie career and be immortalized as Princess Leia's mother in the Star Wars "prequel" films. Natalie Paulding replaces her as Anne. 2002 Performances begin in London for Bombay Dreams, the musical set in the world of Indian cinema. The composer is A.R. Rahman and the producer is Andrew Lloyd Webber.

2003 The Light in the Piazza,, a new musical by Craig Lucas and Adam Guettel, makes its world premiere at Seattle's Intiman Theatre. It will open on Broadway in spring 2005 and win Tony Awards for Best Score and Best Actress in a Musical.  http://www.playbill.com/news/article/69919.html
</>

Edited by dayita - 04 June 2006 at 2:12am

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 04 June 2006 at 2:22am | IP Logged
Nokia introduces N91 in India
Agencies
Tuesday, May 30, 2006  21:44 IST

Nokia introduced the Nokia N91 multimedia smartphone, the company's latest device optimised for mobile music consumption in India. The latest Nseries device launched in India will come preloaded with 100 songs and have an integrated 4-gigabyte hard disk that will allow it to store up to 3000 songs. Nokia Nseries also shared that it has joined hands with music maestro AR Rahman for his "Pray For Me, Brother" music initiative.

This alignment, with one of India's leading contemporary musicians is part of Nokia's strategy to build the mobile music domain through collaboration with the best in the industry whilst parallely providing music enthusiasts in India access to an iconic mobile music device with cutting-edge smart phone capabilities. The Nokia N91 is the first of its kind music smart phone that delivers seamless switching between the integrated functions of music, smart phone and imaging. What differentiates the Nokia N91 is the fact that it is always connected, enabling users to download music while on the move, add songs to their play list and share them anytime, anywhere.

The N91 supports a host of digital music formats and offers 12.5 hours of seamless digital sound.
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1032372&CatID= 5

Edited by dayita - 04 June 2006 at 2:26am
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 04 June 2006 at 2:28am | IP Logged
Bombay Dreams Tour Stars Perform in Dallas Benefit, 6/12
</>
</>
May 30, 2006 - by BWW News Desk

The cast of Bombay Dreams' national tour--which is shimmying its way across the US through October 1st--will perform in the cabaret benefit "Louder Than Words" in Dallas, TX. The show will be presented Station 4's the Rose Room on June 12th at 8 PM.

The evening will benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, the nation's leading industry-based, nonprofit AIDS fund-raising and grant-making organization.

The tour--which is directed by Baayork Lee (A Chorus Line)--stars Sachin Bhatt (European/Asian tour of West Side Story) as Bollywood star wannabe Akaash and Sandra Allen (Flower Drum Song, Sunset Boulevard) as glamorous movie goddess Rani, with whom Akaash falls in love. The tour also features Reshma Shetty (The Secret Garden concert) as Priya, Deep Katdare (original Broadway cast of Bombay Dreams) as Vikram, Aneesh Sheth as Sweetie, Suresh John (original Broadway cast of Bombay Dreams) as Madan and Christine Toy Johnson (The Music Man, Grease) as Kitty DeSousa.

The musical, which incorporated the pulsing sounds and colorful visuals of Bollywood films into its story, launched its tour on February 21st, 2006, in Cosa Mesa, CA (after playing an out-of-town tryout in Tucson, AZ). The show, which also features choreography by Lisa Stevens, musical direction by Kevin Farrell and sets by Ken Foy; the costumes are from the Broadway production. The tour is a co-production with members of the Independent Presenters Network (which includes a number of theatres in the US and Canada), Atlanta's Theater of the Stars and Bucephalus Touring LLC.

A hit in London (where it opened at the Apollo Victoria Theatre in 2002 and closed in 2004), Bombay Dreams opened at the Broadway Theatre on April 29th, 2004 and ran for 30 previews and 284 regular performances. With music by A R Rahman and Don Black, the lavish show was based on an idea by Shekhur Kapur and Andrew Lloyd Webber, who was the musical's original producer. Meera Syal penned the book and Tony Award-winner Thomas Meehan (The Producers, Hairspray) adapted a new book based on the Broadway and London scripts. The tour features a combination of music from the original London version and from the Broadway production.

Bombay Dreams' score includes "Salaa'm Bombay," "Bollywood," "I Could Live Here," "Is This Love?," "Famous," "Chaiyya Chaiyya," "How Many Stars?," and "Shakalaka Baby," which was danced around a spectacular onstage fountain on Broadway. The fountain is featured in the tour, which will conclude in Seattle on October 1st.

Station 4 is located at
3911 Cedar Springs Road in Dallas. There is a $20 cover charge for the evening, and tickets can be purchased at the door or at www.resourcecenterdallas.org. Visit www.broadwaycares.org for more information on BC/EFA.

Visit this link for more information on the national tour of Bombay Dreams

http://broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=9999

Edited by dayita - 04 June 2006 at 2:29am
sammie IF-Rockerz
sammie
sammie

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by dayita

Originally posted by sammie

ARRahman Lyrics Zone

hey gr8

Thanks Sammie, But will you please contribute something my dear friend.

will love to, but dont think its possible 4 meOuch

luckyleo IF-Rockerz
luckyleo
luckyleo

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 10:33am | IP Logged
hi all. i'm new here. i'm a huge huge fan of A R Rehman. can i join this club?
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 11:12am | IP Logged

ARRahman Lyrics Zone

hey gr8

Thanks Sammie, But will you please contribute something my dear friend.

will love to, but dont think its possible 4 meOuch

BecharaTongue,No problem my dear.But please always remain a gr8t supporter,

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 11:21am | IP Logged

Originally posted by luckyleo

hi all. i'm new here. i'm a huge huge fan of A R Rehman. can i join this club?

Oh sure,you are most welcome,please check the rules in the first page please.Your name will be enlisted after Sweta is back online.

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 11:29am | IP Logged
Devendra Parab 
... On song: Raj has a musical touch

I want to be like AR Rahman: Raj Pandit
Nisha Kundnani
Monday, June 05, 2006  18:24 IST

12-year-old Raj Pandit turns composer and gears up to launch his first Kashmiri folk remix album.

Age is no bar for talent and 12-year-old Raj Pandit is certainly such an example with a Kashmiri folk remix album on the cards. "I have worked with my mother for the album – she sung the songs while I composed the music," he says. Hailing from the state, the Pundit's have developed a natural flair for Kashmiri music. "I don't have a choice, I'm surrounded by mum's music all the time; it just grows on me," he adds.

An ardent fan of AR Rahman, Raj met the music King of Bollywood at a music concert and was suitably awed. "No one can make music like AR Rahman. I want to be like him. At this stage I don't expect to work with him, but he gave me his blessing and that means a lot to me," he says.

Raj started playing the tabla and the harmonium at the age of three and dreams of becoming a music director one day. "I know I have a long way to go and to become a music director, listening is very important. One has to listen to good music in order to create something new and different," he quips. 

Kailash Kher, Roopkumar Rathod and Sameer are some of the musicians who visit his studio. "I take their advice and they guide me about programming. It certainly rubs off when you take advice from such senior people."

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1033550

Go to top