dayita

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 3:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sudha_rn

Originally posted by dayita

Lyrics and Pics in the same gallery...yes we can do that or we can have seperate lyrics zone with the links of the songs....Lets know the other members comments.

that is also a good idea.. but without opening another thread, we can put all lyrics with the songs links  in pic gallery..everytime we wll edit the same post... thats my idea..

Well we can do that, but we have to wait for other members response.

My own opinion is to have a separate thread, with lyrics, song links, and notations of the song......I am sure some of our members can play any musical instruments....so we can do that.

ofcourse Dayita,, ur opinion is also nice but r the mods allow us to open another thread for lyrics and songlinks? if mods allow us then we can open another thread.

Why do you think the mods wouldnt allow us?We are not going to do anthying against the forum rule, but they may not make that sticky....but if we can made that thread interesting and valuable also, I hope they will not oppose.Okay I will talk with the moderators.

coz already we made 2 topics for ARR..thats y any how as k the mods...we wll try..If they doesn;t make sticky then no one knows abt our thread..

I dont think so..if we can prove that the thread is valuable, they will definately make it sticky..but if they dont..Dont worry Sudha, All the fans of Rahmanji would came to know about the thread, as we will put the link in this thread as well as in the picture gallery.....also i will use the link in my siggy if you all permit.Smile

Sudha_rn Goldie
Sudha_rn
Sudha_rn

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 3:36am | IP Logged

Lyrics and Pics in the same gallery...yes we can do that or we can have seperate lyrics zone with the links of the songs....Lets know the other members comments.

that is also a good idea.. but without opening another thread, we can put all lyrics with the songs links  in pic gallery..everytime we wll edit the same post... thats my idea..

Well we can do that, but we have to wait for other members response.

My own opinion is to have a separate thread, with lyrics, song links, and notations of the song......I am sure some of our members can play any musical instruments....so we can do that.

ofcourse Dayita,, ur opinion is also nice but r the mods allow us to open another thread for lyrics and songlinks? if mods allow us then we can open another thread.

Why do you think the mods wouldnt allow us?We are not going to do anthying against the forum rule, but they may not make that sticky....but if we can made that thread interesting and valuable also, I hope they will not oppose.Okay I will talk with the moderators.

coz already we made 2 topics for ARR..thats y any how as k the mods...we wll try..If they doesn;t make sticky then no one knows abt our thread..

I dont think so..if we can prove that the thread is valuable, they will definately make it sticky..but if they dont..Dont worry Sudha, All the fans of Rahmanji would came to know about the thread, as we will put the link in this thread as well as in the picture gallery.....also i will use the link in my siggy if you all permit.Smile

ok..i too will use the link.. but where is the siggy?
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 3:36am | IP Logged
Entertainment  
Sandra Allen as Bollywood film star Rani in a scene from Bombay Dreams.
Joan Marcus
photos

May 19, 2006, 3:27PM
Hooray for Bollywood
Indian culture and music take center stage in Bombay Dreams

By EVERETT EVANS
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Andrew Lloyd Webber fell in love with Bollywood, India's thriving film industry, after seeing one of its typical splashy musicals, Taal, at a northwest London cinema in 1999.

A big-bucks producer as well as composer, Lloyd Webber became obsessed with producing a stage musical set against the exotic backdrop of Bollywood. He hired A.R. Rahman, India's leading film composer, to do the score and Meera Syal to write the book.

The result is Bombay Dreams, which premiered in London in June 2002 drew mixed reviews and ran for two years. Substantial changes were made for the show's April 2004 Broadway premiere in an effort to make the content more accessible to American audiences. The changes apparently did more harm than good. The critical reception was more dismissive than in London, and the New York run lasted just eight months.

Bombay Dreams reaches Houston on Thursday in the national tour produced by the Independent Producers Network, which combines a dozen regional musical theaters. Theatre Under The Stars is presenting it here and, as a IPN member, is a co-producer. The lead producer is Atlanta's Theatre Of The Stars, which mounted the new production.

Nick Manos, the Atlanta company's managing director, explained why he and other company leaders wanted to bring Bombay Dreams to their audiences.

"Diversity is part of our mission," Manos said. "As this is the first musical about Indian culture and music, we thought it was a natural. It's also a fun, energetic dance show.

"The other key factor is Rahman's music, which is exceptionally moving at points. He's the John Williams of India, who's sold 150 million albums and has millions of fans. Yet to Americans, he's hardly known at all."

The show has been changed, yet again, for the tour, but the basic plot remains. Akaash, a slum dweller in Mumbai (a.k.a. Bombay), longs to be a Bollywood star.

He gets his chance when Priya, a noble documentary filmmaker, arrives to do a study of the slums. Akaash falls for Priya, and through her, gains entry to the film industry. Rani, a spoiled Bollywood star, chooses Akaash as her new leading man, and he becomes a sensation.

Will success turn Akaash's head? Or will he prove loyal to Priya and his slum family and friends, including his wise granny and his self-sacrificing eunuch buddy? Most crucially, will he return in time to keep their slum from being bulldozed?

The different receptions in London and New York were at least partly explained by the fact that London has a much larger South Asian population, and many more people (of all ethnicities) familiar with the Bollywood films.

"The London production was in some ways a loving tribute to Bollywood," Manos said. "But it also was a spoof. It had the over-the-top quality and the melodramatic multiple plotlines, like a soap opera. It was a snapshot of Indian culture as depicted in Bollywood films. The New York production simplified it, made compromises that made the show more accessible, but also took the uniqueness and the culture out of it."

The tour, Manos said, uses "mostly the London score and chiefly the New York book, but with some changes." He felt some explanation of Bollywood remains necessary for U.S. audiences.

"We've also tried to broaden its appeal, stressing the music, dance and exoticism. We wanted to focus on the strengths of the show."

Perhaps most crucially, the entire show is now set on a Bollywood soundstage — with Akaash's story a Bollywood movie in the making.

Before the show begins, excerpts of Bollywood films will show on large screens, giving first-time audiences a sampling of the genre.

"The numbers in a Bollywood film are best appreciated in terms of the famous Busby Berkeley routines," Manos said. "They're not meant to convey a deep emotional meaning. The idea is that you're supposed to be swept away by the spectacle, to have fun.

The tour is newly directed by Baayork Lee, with new choreography by Lisa Stevens and a new production design by Kenneth Foy. But it will retain the Broadway production's lavish costumes.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/3873590.html

Edited by dayita - 21 May 2006 at 3:38am
delilah Goldie
delilah
delilah

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 3:38am | IP Logged
I think that Diya's idea is good..that way we can access all the lyrics and songs much more easily since it'll all be one place... Smile
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 3:40am | IP Logged

Originally posted by delilah

I think that Diya's idea is good..that way we can access all the lyrics and songs much more easily since it'll all be one place... Smile

Thanks for your opinion, I also want to put the song notations there, let me see if any one in this club could help me in this regard.

Sudha_rn Goldie
Sudha_rn
Sudha_rn

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 3:42am | IP Logged

who is Diya?Confused
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 3:42am | IP Logged
Sudha LOL, wait my dear....let us have the thread first..only then we can have the link to use as our siggy...
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 3:44am | IP Logged

who is Diya?Confused

Sara calls me Diya.Smile

Go to top