Users

Frequent Posters

dayita thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Today in Theatre History: MAY 31
By Ernio Hernandez
and Robert Viagas
31 May 2006
1946 Orson Welles circumnavigated the stage in Around The World , a musical he adapted from the Jules Verne novel, "Around the World in Eighty Days," Cole Porter provided the music and lyrics for the production, mounted at the Adelphi Theatre. 1978 Waiting for Godot is produced at the Leperq Space of the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Walter D. Asmus directs Samuel Beckett's own English version of his play. Austin Pendelton (Oh Dad, Poor Dad..., The Diary of Anne Frank) assumes the role of Estragon for this BAM Theater Company production. 1979 Liv Ullmann won't be forgotten as she headlines at the Majestic Theatre in I Remember Mama. The Richard Rodgers-Martin Charnin musical with book by Thomas Meehan is directed by Cy Feuer. It will play 40 previews and 108 performances before closing Sep. 2. 1984 John Malkovich and the Steppenwolf Theatre Company of Chicago bring Lanford Wilson's Balm in Gilead to New York City at the Circle Repertory. Terry Kinney, Tanya Berezin, Gary Sinise and Glenne Headly star in the play set in a Broadway coffee shop under the direction of Malkovich. 1998 Natalie Portman, making her stage debut as the star of the Broadway revival of The Diary of Anne Frank, leaves the production at the Music Box Theatre to return to her movie career and be immortalized as Princess Leia's mother in the Star Wars "prequel" films. Natalie Paulding replaces her as Anne. 2002 Performances begin in London for Bombay Dreams, the musical set in the world of Indian cinema. The composer is A.R. Rahman and the producer is Andrew Lloyd Webber.

2003 The Light in the Piazza,, a new musical by Craig Lucas and Adam Guettel, makes its world premiere at Seattle's Intiman Theatre. It will open on Broadway in spring 2005 and win Tony Awards for Best Score and Best Actress in a Musical.  http://www.playbill.com/news/article/69919.html
</>

Edited by dayita - 17 years ago
dayita thumbnail
Nokia introduces N91 in India
Agencies
Tuesday, May 30, 2006  21:44 IST

Nokia introduced the Nokia N91 multimedia smartphone, the company's latest device optimised for mobile music consumption in India. The latest Nseries device launched in India will come preloaded with 100 songs and have an integrated 4-gigabyte hard disk that will allow it to store up to 3000 songs. Nokia Nseries also shared that it has joined hands with music maestro AR Rahman for his "Pray For Me, Brother" music initiative.

This alignment, with one of India's leading contemporary musicians is part of Nokia's strategy to build the mobile music domain through collaboration with the best in the industry whilst parallely providing music enthusiasts in India access to an iconic mobile music device with cutting-edge smart phone capabilities. The Nokia N91 is the first of its kind music smart phone that delivers seamless switching between the integrated functions of music, smart phone and imaging. What differentiates the Nokia N91 is the fact that it is always connected, enabling users to download music while on the move, add songs to their play list and share them anytime, anywhere.

The N91 supports a host of digital music formats and offers 12.5 hours of seamless digital sound.
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1032372&CatID= 5

dayita thumbnail
Bombay Dreams Tour Stars Perform in Dallas Benefit, 6/12
</>
</>
May 30, 2006 - by BWW News Desk

The cast of Bombay Dreams' national tour--which is shimmying its way across the US through October 1st--will perform in the cabaret benefit "Louder Than Words" in Dallas, TX. The show will be presented Station 4's the Rose Room on June 12th at 8 PM.

The evening will benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, the nation's leading industry-based, nonprofit AIDS fund-raising and grant-making organization.

The tour--which is directed by Baayork Lee (A Chorus Line)--stars Sachin Bhatt (European/Asian tour of West Side Story) as Bollywood star wannabe Akaash and Sandra Allen (Flower Drum Song, Sunset Boulevard) as glamorous movie goddess Rani, with whom Akaash falls in love. The tour also features Reshma Shetty (The Secret Garden concert) as Priya, Deep Katdare (original Broadway cast of Bombay Dreams) as Vikram, Aneesh Sheth as Sweetie, Suresh John (original Broadway cast of Bombay Dreams) as Madan and Christine Toy Johnson (The Music Man, Grease) as Kitty DeSousa.

The musical, which incorporated the pulsing sounds and colorful visuals of Bollywood films into its story, launched its tour on February 21st, 2006, in Cosa Mesa, CA (after playing an out-of-town tryout in Tucson, AZ). The show, which also features choreography by Lisa Stevens, musical direction by Kevin Farrell and sets by Ken Foy; the costumes are from the Broadway production. The tour is a co-production with members of the Independent Presenters Network (which includes a number of theatres in the US and Canada), Atlanta's Theater of the Stars and Bucephalus Touring LLC.

A hit in London (where it opened at the Apollo Victoria Theatre in 2002 and closed in 2004), Bombay Dreams opened at the Broadway Theatre on April 29th, 2004 and ran for 30 previews and 284 regular performances. With music by A R Rahman and Don Black, the lavish show was based on an idea by Shekhur Kapur and Andrew Lloyd Webber, who was the musical's original producer. Meera Syal penned the book and Tony Award-winner Thomas Meehan (The Producers, Hairspray) adapted a new book based on the Broadway and London scripts. The tour features a combination of music from the original London version and from the Broadway production.

Bombay Dreams' score includes "Salaa'm Bombay," "Bollywood," "I Could Live Here," "Is This Love?," "Famous," "Chaiyya Chaiyya," "How Many Stars?," and "Shakalaka Baby," which was danced around a spectacular onstage fountain on Broadway. The fountain is featured in the tour, which will conclude in Seattle on October 1st.

Station 4 is located at
3911 Cedar Springs Road in Dallas. There is a $20 cover charge for the evening, and tickets can be purchased at the door or at www.resourcecenterdallas.org. Visit www.broadwaycares.org for more information on BC/EFA.

Visit this link for more information on the national tour of Bombay Dreams

http://broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=9999

sammie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: dayita

Thanks Sammie, But will you please contribute something my dear friend.

will love to, but dont think its possible 4 me

luckyleo thumbnail
hi all. i'm new here. i'm a huge huge fan of A R Rehman. can i join this club?
dayita thumbnail

Originally posted by: sammie

will love to, but dont think its possible 4 me

Bechara😛,No problem my dear.But please always remain a gr8t supporter,

dayita thumbnail

Originally posted by: luckyleo

hi all. i'm new here. i'm a huge huge fan of A R Rehman. can i join this club?

Oh sure,you are most welcome,please check the rules in the first page please.Your name will be enlisted after Sweta is back online.

dayita thumbnail
Devendra Parab 
... On song: Raj has a musical touch

I want to be like AR Rahman: Raj Pandit
Nisha Kundnani
Monday, June 05, 2006  18:24 IST

12-year-old Raj Pandit turns composer and gears up to launch his first Kashmiri folk remix album.

Age is no bar for talent and 12-year-old Raj Pandit is certainly such an example with a Kashmiri folk remix album on the cards. "I have worked with my mother for the album – she sung the songs while I composed the music," he says. Hailing from the state, the Pundit's have developed a natural flair for Kashmiri music. "I don't have a choice, I'm surrounded by mum's music all the time; it just grows on me," he adds.

An ardent fan of AR Rahman, Raj met the music King of Bollywood at a music concert and was suitably awed. "No one can make music like AR Rahman. I want to be like him. At this stage I don't expect to work with him, but he gave me his blessing and that means a lot to me," he says.

Raj started playing the tabla and the harmonium at the age of three and dreams of becoming a music director one day. "I know I have a long way to go and to become a music director, listening is very important. One has to listen to good music in order to create something new and different," he quips. 

Kailash Kher, Roopkumar Rathod and Sameer are some of the musicians who visit his studio. "I take their advice and they guide me about programming. It certainly rubs off when you take advice from such senior people."

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1033550

dayita thumbnail
Theater

May 28, 2006, 7:39PM
THEATER REVIEW
Hooray for Bollywood? Not in this case
Flash comes before substance in the clichd tale Bombay Dreams

By EVERETT EVANS
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Beneath Bombay Dreams' veneer of exoticism beats a heart that is pure Las Vegas.

The notion of a musical about Bollywood (India's thriving film industry) held promise. Yet Bombay Dreams' mix of splashy production numbers and melodramatic kitsch, while occasionally diverting, is seldom involving and ultimately undistinguished.

< minmax_bound="true">try{OAS_AD('Middle');}catch(e){}

Much revised from London to Broadway, Bombay Dreams has been revised again for the touring production giving its Houston premiere at Hobby Center.

The plot centers on Akaash, a lad of the Bombay slums, who dreams of becoming a Bollywood star. As he sings in one of Don Black's hackneyed lyrics: "Like an eagle was born to fly/Right across the open sky/I was born to be seen/On a screen/In Bollywood." Actually, Akaash, and his show, were born to recycle every old showbiz clich in their new Bollywood setting.

The story's lack of credibility is epitomized by the pivotal early scene in which Akaash participates in a protest that breaks up the Miss India pageant. Security there must be woefully lax, because not only is the pageant interrupted, but Akaash proceeds to hog the spotlight for an entire "rap" number. No one stops him. When he's finished, Rani, the reigning Bollywood movie queen (whose number he wrecked) is ready to sign him as her new co-star — his big break!

Adding to the scene's unlikeliness is the fact that Sachin Bhatt's Akaash, though energetic and likable enough, has nothing like the charismatic star power the other characters keep insisting he projects. His strutting and posturing, in his pageant-stopping turn and elsewhere, seem like stock imitations of John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Yet he keeps eliciting such jaw-dropping assessments as "You're a firecracker, Akaash — I just lit the fuse." Puh-lease!

Once the trite tale sets Akaash on the path to stardom, he conceals his slum roots and turns his back on his friends, including loyal, eunuch buddy Sweetie, and even his dear old granny. Will Akaash see the error of his ways in time to save their slum from being bulldozed by a greedy developer? Will he choose egomaniacal sexpot Rani or idealistic, independent filmmaker Priya — who is herself in danger of marrying the cutthroat lawyer who pretends to be helping the slum-dwellers but is really in league with the developer?

The book (by Meera Syal and Thomas Meehan) can't seem to settle on a tone. Half the time, it aims for glib spoof. Typifying this is Kitty DeSouza, the Joan Rivers-like gossip maven of Bollywood (a preposterous cartoon, though amusingly enacted by Christine Toy Johnson). Carried away with fame, Akaash says things like "Ciao, baby!" When Akaash, rehearsing a love scene with Priya, finally gets it right, she echoes My Fair Lady: "By George, I think you've got it."

Even Sweetie, claiming to be Akaash's agent after the kid's break, turns wise guy when asked his name: "William Morris."

The rest of the time, the show's take on moviedom's behind-the-scenes back-stabbing and heartache seems informed chiefly by such Hollywood howlers as Valley of the Dolls and The Oscar. Hard-bitten veteran Rani spouts such gems as "I've survived in this snakepit for 15 years!" Paging Susan Hayward.

The show gains some genuine feeling with a dead-serious plot turn late in Act 2 — but lapses back for a cartoonishly cute resolution of the wedding-day showdown between hero and villain.

Top Indian film composer A.R. Rahman's music has its moments of authenticity and surges of feeling and melody in the better ballads such as Is This Love? and Hero. Yet the numbers lean heavily on repetition, too often lapsing into sound-alike pop wallpaper. Even the best tunes are not much helped by Black's lyrics, which are pedestrian at best, ridiculous at their Shakalaka Baby worst.

That production number is the show's signature "wet sari" routine, with the dancers cavorting in an onstage fountain to a jingly beat. Yes, it's eye-catchingly colorful and superficially exotic. Like all the show's production numbers, it's also long on spectacle, short on substance.

Bhatt's sturdy-voiced Akaash is more palatable in his later, chastened phase than the cocky posturing of his early scenes. His two leading ladies are quite good: sleek Sandra Allen as the spoiled-rotten Rani and Reshma Shetty as the serious-minded Priya. Aneesh Sheth has some moving scenes and sings expertly as the self-sacrificing Sweetie, hopelessly in love with Akaash.

Director Baayork Lee keeps it all moving, the story told in brisk, broad strokes. Lisa Stevens' choreography is lively and vividly performed, though the moves sometimes resemble aerobics routines. The production values are (inevitably) colorful and exotic.

Yet ultimately and overall, the show that promised a genuine Indian feast settles for curry-flavored bubble gum.

[email protected]

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/arts/theater/3911973 .html

dayita thumbnail
Reservation Inspires a Song

Agencies

Mumbai, May 29: It really seems like a season for Bollywood to flex its muscle for a 'cause'. But we're not surprised when Bollywood's favourite rap star Blaaze comes up with a song called Ban The Crooked Police, against all the lathi charges and 'official duty' against students during the reservation protests.

Blaaze and Sagar Desai's group ZambeZi FunK has previously spun songs themed on Sankaracharya and Gujarat rape victim Bilkis Bano.

"It wasn't just one TV or press report that inspired us to come up with Ban The Crooked Police," says 30-year-old Chennai-based Ramesh Blaaze Raman in a telephonic interview, "A couple of weeks ago, we kept noticing too much stuff about the reservation issue to be unaffected."

So one night, the reggae number with lines like 'Ban the wicked police, Ban the crooked police… love the police,' came into being. "I was very inspired by Bob Marley too, who did his stuff and died. Even today, we're looking upto him in songs like Get Up, Stand Up and Freedom Song."

But why include phrases like 'Love the police' in an anti-cop song? Blaaze assures us that he's not sitting on the fence - it's as simple as bad cop vs good cop.

"I also think that the police are usually portrayed in a way that only highlights their negative side. We are not against the system in this song, but only ban the police who are not good."

ZambeZi Funk plans to release the number as a single as soon as it finds a record label to promote it and is extremely satisfied with the support it has been receiving from music channels such as MTV, VH1 and Channel [V].

"We didn't even have a record label backing In My Father's Words, our song on Sankaracharya last year, but these channels played it for three months because the audience wanted to see it," adds Blaaze. A video, which "will break the tension and surprise but the not shock" is also in making.

A favourite with A R Rahman, Blaaze will next be heard in Pray For Me Brother, a song commissioned by the United Nations, while Sagar is composing the background score for a yet-to-be-released film Valley of Flowers, starring Milind Soman.

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=21996& n_tit=Reservation+Inspires+a+Song