nice contibution 'Sudha_rn'

Hi, welcome to ARRahman Fan Club.

sapnokirani24 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
im a lil late but congo on 100 pages!!!! 😃
dayita thumbnail
How a beauty queen and an abused wife stirred fury at Cannes

Film based on British woman's story of domestic violence and prison is riddled with inaccuracies, says the London group that campaigned for her freedom. Rob Sharp reports from Cannes

Sunday May 21, 2006
The Observer

After The Da Vinci Code's nosedive and Ken Loach's diatribe against Britain's presence in Iraq, few would have predicted that the next controversy to hit the Cannes Film Festival would have its origins in the west London suburb of Southall. But a group of London campaigners have poured scorn on Provoked, an all-star film that premiered in Cannes last week, which they claim is riddled with 'factual and legal inaccuracies'. The Southall Black Sisters, a women's rights group, has slammed director Jag Mundhra's take on the story of Kiranjit Ahluwalia, jailed in 1989 for killing her husband after 10 years of domestic abuse. She is portrayed on the screen by Bollywood superstar Aishwarya Rai, alongside a stellar UK cast which includes Lost star Naveen Andrews, Miranda Richardson and Robbie Coltrane. Pragna Patel, who campaigned for Ahluwalia's release from Bullwood Hall prison in Essex, told The Observer: 'The film-makers have taken a lot of artistic licence. I cringe a bit because I was so closely involved. Sometimes I think people should rise to the challenge of reflecting real life better. My view is that the reality is far more interesting.' Rahila Gupta, who collaborated with Ahluwalia on her story in the book Circle of Light and is also associated with the group, added: 'It's a shame that film is an artistic form in which you have to make a fair amount of compromises to make it happen.' The group claim Ahluwalia is depicted as a middle-class housewife, but in reality was a factory worker, and that the film 'Americanised' legal terminology. Gupta criticised the film's characterisation as 'one-dimensional', and the portrayal of Ahluwalia's husband, Deepak, as an alcoholic. Scenes are told through flashbacks set to a score by AR Rahman, best known in the UK as composer of the musical Bombay Dreams. In addition, the character in the film who campaigns for Ahluwalia's freedom, played by Indian actress Nandita Das, is based on the real life actions of Gupta and Patel. The separate stories of the two campaigners have been rolled into one character. Ahluwalia experienced a sexually abusive and violent marriage over a number of years while living in deprived circumstances in Crawley, Sussex. After a series of incidents which culminated in her being threatened with a hot iron, and after turning to alcohol herself, she was imprisoned after she poured petrol over her husband and set him on fire. Ahluwalia was released after a campaign by Southall Black Sisters led to a new trial in 1991, when her charge was changed to manslaughter and her sentence was reduced to the amount of time she had already served. In the process, the 'law of provocation' was softened, to take account of the abuse she suffered prior to her attack on her husband, setting a legal precedent for future cases. Speaking in Cannes, Mundhra admitted he had made changes, such as merging Gupta and Patel into a single character, but rejected the criticism of his style of film-making. He said: 'I feel that a story must have a protagonist that one roots for. If I had told the story from Southall Black Sisters' point of view, obviously there was more than one sister. So whose story am I telling?' He continued: 'Even if you tell a true story, a true story is never really a true story. How do you define the truth? None of us were really there and obviously the recollections of people who were there have changed now. Ultimately I do have to tell an engaging story. If I can't tell an engaging story no matter what cause is at stake, nobody will see it.' Referring to Ahluwalia, Rai, a former Miss World said: 'To agree to have a movie made takes a lot of guts. I hope Kiranjit is happy with it. But we really weren't there. We don't know exactly what she went through.' Some believe Provoked proves the rule that commercial pressures force filmmakers to take liberties with the truth. FilmFour Lab chief Peter Carlton said: 'People are wary about the Hollywood machine getting its paws on things. It almost gives things a mark of inauthenticity. Particularly in a post 9/11 world, there's a real wariness. Like there's a yearning for real news, there's a yearning for real movies.'

At the very least, Gupta and Patel hope the movie will raise awareness of the issues tackled. Gupta says: 'It's important to record the activities of South London Black Sisters, that had a positive impact on all women. This film might make the biggest impact.'

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1779845,00.h tml

dayita thumbnail
RajkumarSantoshi has bagged Aamir Khan and Shah Rukh Khan for his next film. The music is by A.R. Rahman and the lyrics by Javed Akthar.
dayita thumbnail

The music for Rajnikanth's next movie Padayappa is of course by Rahman .Music composer ( or should it be copier !!! ) Deva was reportedly to have said that he was the music composer for Padayappaand that he had 60 - 70 tunes ready in hand .

But it turned out to be just "castles in the air " !!!

Also , Rajnikanth himself was supposed to have gone to Rahman's house and invited him for the movie . Normally Rajnikanth just faxes the people chosen .

dayita thumbnail

Rajeev Menon ,the director of Minsaru Kanavuhad earlier said in an interview that for his next movie , Rahmanwas obviously the music director . True to his word , he has indeed bookedRahman for his next movie - Theekul Kaiyai Vaithai starring Prabhu Deva , Aishwarya Rai .

dayita thumbnail

SONGS WITH RAHMAN'S VOICE

SONG

MOVIE

PART

Chinna Chinna Aasai

No Problem

Urvashi Urvashi

Andha Arabi Kadaloram

Kokku Seva Kokku

Mustafa Mustafa

Kalluri Salai

Hello Doctor

Kappal Yeri Poyachu

Magntha Hai Kya

Kannalane

Dil Se Re

Roja

Love Birds

Kadhalan

Bombay

Muthu

Kadhal Desam

Kadhal Desam

Kadhal Desam

Indian

Rangeela

Bombay

Dil Se

Boatman's Voice

Half song

Main part of song

Full song

In the middle

Full song

Full song

Full song

In the middle

Duet

In the middle

Full song

dayita thumbnail

Rahmanji At A Glance

Name:Abdul Rahman (Better known as Allah Rakkha Rahman/A.R.Rahman/A.R.Rehman)

Original Name:A.S.Dileep Kumar

Date of Birth:6th January,1966

Place of Birth:Chennai

Born as:Tamil Mudaliar (Hindu)

Converted to:Islam

Reason of Conversion:Personal,something related to her sisters illness and recovery.

Pet Name:Chennai Kid,Storm of Music, Indian Mozart

Father:R.K.Sekhar (Passed away when Rahmanji was 9 years old) 

Mother:Kasturi (Now Kareema Begam)

Siblings:3sister-Kanchana, Bala(Now Talath) and Israth

Profesion:Music Composer, Playback Singer

Music to Him:Food, Sleep and Drink

Fame Came Through:Leo Coffee Jingle for an Adagency

First Film:Roza

First Music Album:Deen Isai Maalai-An Islamic devotional album 

Hates:Languages as a barrier of music

Loves:To Experiment a lot

Believes in:Relentless Labor,High Enthusiasm,and Commitment

Stresses on:Quality and Originality

Works on:An Apple Macintosh

Best Time of the Day:Night brings out the best in him

Attitude:Never say die!

Positive Quality:Zero ego hang up's,humble and down to earth

Hits:All his songs, Music albums and compositions

Current Hit:Tracks of Rang De Basanti

Awards:Please check the awards list in 3rd page.

Biggest Achievement:Bringing Tamil music to non-Tamilians

Email:[email protected]

Address:No.15,4th Street,

Dr.Subbarayan Nagar,Kodambakkam

Chennai

Tamil Nadu, India

Pin:600024

Phone:(Found from other sites, not checked):24836072

Fax:(Found from other sites, not checked):4802626

dayita thumbnail

Family Life

AR Rahman or Allah Rakha Rahman was born   actually A. S. Dileep Kumar on the 6th of January in the year 1967, in Chennai in a musically affluent Tamil Mudaliar family. The second of four children he has three sisters Kanchana, Bala (now Talat) and Israth, Kanchana being elder and the other two younger. His father R.K. Sekhar was a composer, arranger and conductor in Malayalam movies and had worked under the likes of Salil Chowdhary and Devarajan.

Early Childhood

Rahman's early years were filled with struggles and hardships. At the age of 9, his father passed away following a mysterious illness with rumours abounding that he was the victim of black magic practised by his rivals. It was at this time that Rahman's belief in God first took a beating. Much of his time was filled with hospital visits, pain and anxieties.The pressure of supporting the family fell on young Dileep.

Rahman's mother

It was his mother Kareema Begum who encouraged him to follow in his father's footsteps and fully supported him in his vocation.In an interview, he was to say about his father, "My father passed away when I was 9 years old. My mother used to narrate many tales about my father which used to make me very happy. My father was regarded to be highly knowledgeable in music by many people. I still listen to many of the old songs tuned by him. I think that its his enormous knowledge of music that has come down to me by the grace of God".

Rahman says that his mother is his critic ! In Maa tujhe salaam(Vande mataram), he once sings "Amma tujhe salaam". When asked,"Were you singing to your mother?",Rahman says, "Yes. The entire song was pure and full of respect. While the scale was national, it needed the intimacy, the feeling that you are saying it to your mother. " His mother is his second "god"

Rahman's wife and children

Rahman's mother chose genuinely friendly Saira Banu to be his wife. The couple is blessed with two daughters Khatija (7 years old) and Rafia(2 1/2 years old) .About his presonal life, Rahman says" I'm very passionate about music and have very little place in my life for anything else. But whatever time I have after my recordings, I try and spend with my family, especially my little daughter. She listens to most of my songs and even has her favourites. It's so wonderful to see your child growing up. I don't want to miss out these little pleasures in life."

Edited by dayita - 17 years ago
Sudha_rn thumbnail
Originally posted by: 123pal.com

nice contibution 'Sudha_rn'

Thanks..  Do u want to join in this club?