Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sweetdisha thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Top Indian composer AR Rahman to perform in Singapore

By Channel NewsAsia's India Correspondent Vaibhav Varma
Time is GMT + 8 hours | Posted: 20 September 2005 1737 hrs

INDIA : Indian music lovers in Southeast Asia are in for a real treat.

Top Indian composer AR Rahman will be performing in Singapore for the first time on Saturday, September 24.

The man behind the score of the West End and Broadway musical Bombay Dreams is also well-known for his charity work.

One of the most influential voices in Indian commercial music, AR Rahman is an ambassador of the Indian government in the fight against tuberculosis.

His philosophy is that music is much more than just a tool to entertain the masses, it can be used to heal the spirit.

"For me, music plays a big part with people, and we try to make a song much like a love song, a song that will be sung by the people themselves, not the singer. And the simple song titled 'Pray For Me Brother' as the anthem of the poor," said singer and music composer AR Rahman.

A product of London's prestigious Trinity Music College, Rahman started out as a keyboard player composing jingles for advertisements.

But he went on to make a name for himself in digital sound engineering.

The 39-year-old has also composed the soundtracks for several Bollywood films, including the Oscar-nominated 'Lagaan', the Hindi-language hit 'Yuva' and Tamil movies such as 'Roja' and 'Ayutha Ezuthu'.

One of world's youngest music composers, Rahman belongs to an entirely non-musical family background.

He has worked with some of the biggest names in the global musical genre, in the likes of Michael Jackson, Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and Deep Forest.

And that's besides the accolades and honours at the national level.

AR Rahman is a national icon for India and a musical genius no less.

- CNA /ls

Source : http://www.channelnewsasia.com

sweetdisha thumbnail
ActionAid International - Article

What we do: emergencies: Indian anti-poverty concert demands action from world leaders

Photo : Sumie Arima / ActionAid International

Kick-starting a week of GCAP 'Wake Up' events before White Band Day 2 this weekend, an anti-poverty concert was held in Delhi, India on September 3. 

The concert was part of a two-day South Asian People's Summit Against Poverty (PSAP) on September 3-4

'Pray for me brother. Do you need a reason to be kind', sang Bollywood music star A.R. Rahman as he lent his support to the People's Concert against poverty, held on Saturday evening.

Rahman was joined by singer Kailash Kher, Indian Ocean and Envision in the special concert against poverty organised by GCAP, in collaboration with People's Summit against Poverty.

"The anthem 'Pray for..' is based on the theme of eradicating poverty and is very close to my heart," said Rahman, who performed his new anti-poverty song for the first time.

"There is a need to remind people from time to time that we should make our lives meaningful by extending support to such noble causes. I feel great to be associated with such causes," said Kher Kailash who sang his hit from the Bollywood film, 'Mangal Pandey'.

And Indian Ocean stole the show with their songs "Are ruk ja re bande.." and "Kasi Hile Patna hile.."

Throughout the concert speakers representing diverse groups, both from the Indian campaign and from GCAP globally, took to the stage. 

Amitabh Behar and Shefali, spoke on the Indian campaign and the reality of poverty in India.  While Minar p***le, GCAP Co-chair, gave an overview of GCAP globally.  

At the end of the show John Samuel, ActionAid's international director for Asia, tied a White Band to Rahman's wrist and both called for an end to poverty.

The concert was timed to boost the GCAP campaign, ahead of globally planned actions next week just prior to the UN World Summit.

"The aim of the concert was to generate support among the masses. Such events will raise awareness amongst people and draw the attention of the government to poverty," said Indu Prakash Singh, National Campaign Co-ordinator for Action Aid.

Like the Live8 concerts in July, the aim of the event was not to raise funds, but to create awareness about widespread poverty in India and across the world, Singh said.

Meanwhile, Rahman, invited media to a press conference in a Delhi slum where reporters were surrounded by people who live on a daily basis with extreme poverty and suffering.

To echo the words of Rahman, the concert certainly helped to add Indian voices to the widespread international call to end poverty.

The People's Summit Against Poverty

The concert was held as part of the South Asian People's Summit Against Poverty from 3 rd – 4 th of September, in Delhi. 

Launched by former prime minister V.P. Singh, well over 10,000 people attended, eager to discuss India's progress on the Millennium Development Goals, ahead of next week's UN Summit.

Other speakers included, A.B Bardhan, Secretary of the Communist Party of India and Dr. Sayeeda Hameed, a member of the Indian government Planning Commission – the department responsible for the implementation of the MDGs in India.

The Summit also marked the release of the Indian Citizen's Report on MDGs, which evaluated the Indian Government's progress on the MDGs and the national expression of these in the National Development Goals.

On the 3 rd a massive rally was held with over 12,000 people marching throughout the streets of Delhi.

sweetdisha thumbnail

A.R. Rahman

Reviewer Jessica Nicholas
September 12, 2005

Colourful concert: The Bollywood extravaganza cast onstage at the Rod Laver Arena on Saturday night. From left, Chitra, Sadhana Sargam, Alma, Madhushree, Alka Yagnik, Kailash Kher, A.R. Rahman, Shankar Mahadevan, Hariharan and Blaaze sing the concert finale.
Photo: John Kumar

Rod Laver Arena, September 10 : Milling outside the Rod Laver Arena before A. R. Rahman's show on Saturday, I felt like a rather drab moth surrounded by butterflies. Richly coloured saris, embroidered kurtas and sequinned scarves floated around me, as an audience of mainly Indian expatriates gathered in anticipation of this first Australian concert by one of the biggest names in Bollywood.

Inside, the atmosphere was reminiscent of a rock concert - the stage adorned with musical instruments, giant screens and floodlit fabric panels, and more than 9000 fans erupting at the sight of 39-year-old Allah Rakha Rahman taking the microphone.

As Rahman modestly confessed to the audience, he is not a born showman. A film composer whose success has thrust him into the spotlight, he is more accustomed to creating music in his high-tech studio in Chennai than performing it live in front of a roaring crowd.

But there was something very endearing about watching this slightly reticent individual absorb the energy of the stadium and give it back so generously over the next four hours.

Yes, four hours, with no interval. Apparently Rahman was so inspired by the ecstatic audience that he actually wanted to play longer, but was constrained by venue protocol. So he had to content himself with performing 40 of his best-loved compositions, almost all of which were written for Bollywood films.

Not all film music thrives in a concert setting. But Rahman's music - like Bollywood cinema - has a joyous, larger-than-life impact. And the composer, who also sings and plays keyboards, certainly knows how to put on a show.

His "Third Dimension" tour has pulsing, floor-shaking rhythms; acoustic strings and folk instruments alongside banks of digital devices; a parade of superb Bollywood singers performing the songs that made them famous; twirling dancers and giant masked figures; and a series of animated 3-D images (which we watched with 3-D glasses) projected onto a screen.

As a non-Indian familiar with only a handful of Bollywood songs, I did find four hours a bit of a stretch. Nevertheless, it was impossible not to be awed by the seemingly endless stamina - and diversity - of the performers.

But perhaps the most remarkable aspect of this hugely entertaining show is that it was presented by a fledgling, volunteer-run organisation, Charities through Indian Arts in Australia, whose directors undertook this mammoth tour at great personal and professional risk.

As for the music itself, Rahman's wonderfully imaginative approach to film composition - incorporating ideas from contemporary popular music as well as classical Indian and European traditions - has created a fascinating hybrid and, for millions of fans (among whom I now count myself), opened up a whole new musical world.

Source : http://www.theage.com.au

sweetdisha thumbnail

Shankar-Rahman reunited!

By Moviebuzz | Wednesday, 14 September , 2005, 12:07

It is almost certain- A.R.Rahman will be the music director of Shankar's prestigious project Sivaji with Rajnikanth produced by AVM. At the moment, Shankar and Rahman are in Australia composing songs for their forthcoming blockbuster!

Rahman is right now in Australia for 'Qantas Sigaram TV A.R.Rahman 3rd dimension tour 2005', a music concert. It is a fund raiser for the Kolkotta based "Udayan" whose chief patron is Steve Waugh, the ex-captain of Australian Cricket team who supports the concert tour. Shankar flew in to Australia on Saturday and is a part of Rahman's entourage. He had in fact come for the concert on special invitation of Rahman to discuss the tunes of Sivaji . Late in the night, of this 10-day tour, Rahman and Shankar discuss the script and mood of the songs. A.R.Rahman- Shankar combination is one the best in Indian cinema and they have sold more audio album than any others in Tamil film music. All their albums like, Gentleman, Kathalan, Indian, Jeans, Muthalvan, Nayak (Hindi), Boys were all chartbusters. The only Shankar film without Rahman was the recent Anniyan . Shankar fell out briefly with Rahman over re-recording of Boys which took months. Now they have patched up, and are totally engrossed in composing five songs and the theme music of Sivaji .

It is turning out to be a dream combination, Rajnikanth- Rahman- Shankar- AVM!

The views expressed in the article are the author's and not of Sify.com.

Source : http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13939901

sweetdisha thumbnail
webindia123.com || indiaglitz.com - Interview

I've been making too many sacrifices: Rahman

Mumbai | September 14, 2005 11:02:33 AM IST

A.R. Rahman thinks he has been making too many concessions with the way his songs are treated in films and says Bollywood needs to be proud of its music again. "I've been making too many sacrifices, especially with the way my songs were used. I think Hindi films need to become proud of songs and music again," Rahman told IANS in an interview. He also brushes aside the charge of being repetitive, saying he has simply done a few too many period films. While Rahman wants to return to the format of musicals, he is also keen on composing for a string of Hindi films. "It's better to be burnt out than fade away," he said. Excerpts from the interview: Q: So many period films...and now "Mangal Pandey". What challenges? A: I was offered three period films at the same time, including one from Roland Joffe. I was quite wary of doing "Mangal Pandey" until I heard the script. I thought there was no scope for music. Then when director Ketan Mehta and Aamir Khan came to me I quite liked the interpretation. So we plunged into it. Before that I was like...'Oh no, not another period film! I just did "Bhagat Singh" and "Bose"...Composing for a sutradhar, as I've done in "Mangal Pandey", was a new experience for me. Q: How did you pick Kailash Kher for the title song? A: I wanted a very Nusrat Ali Khan kind of voice. Lyricist Mehboob suggested Kailash. He has done a fabulous job. "Vaari vaari" in "Mangal Pandey" is my first mujra. Q: Your music in "Bose - The Forgotten Hero" went unnoticed? A: They didn't picturise a large part of my music. When the music isn't picturised, it goes unnoticed. The junta disregarded it. I told Shyam Benegal that it's imperative to cash in on whatever songs I compose. Why be apologetic about the music? But I must say I enjoyed composing for "Bose"...For me, every score is enjoyable. It can't be helped if some of them went out of hand. Did the music for a film called "Adaa", I don't know what happened. I put my best effort in all of them. The rest is up to god. Q: In Mumbai there's a growing feeling that your songs have become repetitive? A: Which of my songs are repetitive? Tell me, so I can correct myself. According to me, the repetitive pattern in my career was caused by the series of period films. But I got paid very well. Q: Is money important? A: Not as a rule. But I had invested in a studio in Chennai that cost more than I had bargained for. I didn't have to take a loan. And I enjoyed doing all the period films. But now whatever films I have on hand - like Abbas Tyrewala's "Jane Tu" and Rakesh Mehra's "Rang De Basanti", Shyam Benegal and Rajiv Menon's new film - aren't period films. Q: Too many assignments in Hindi? A: Better to be burnt out than fade way...1999 was my busiest period - "Dil Se", "Taal", "Bombay Dreams", "Kandukondain Kandukondain". I love working on musical subjects like "Taal", "Sapne" and "Kandukondain Kandukondain". Ghai and Mani Ratnam are two people who know what to do with music. I want to return to that format. For now I've stopped doing period films though they've helped me go new areas of my creativity. Their fate wasn't in my hand. I'm doing three southern Indian films. I'm happy about them. At least they won't feel let down and they won't feel I've run away, like they sometimes believe in Mumbai. Q: What went wrong with the music in "Yuva"? A: In "Yuva", Mani Ratnam didn't want songs in the first place. The songs were done largely for the background. I knew from the start there would be very high expectations from our combination. I knew they were in for a letdown, though not as much as they finally were. I've been making too many sacrifices, especially with the way my songs were used. I think Hindi films need to become proud of songs and music again. That's what the history of our cinema is about. Even my "Hum hain iss pal yahan" in Ghai's "Kisna" was used in the background. Q: The music boom in the Mumbai film industry is over. A: The boom in music happened in the mid-1990s. That's when "Roja" happened. During the last 7 to 8 years the whole equation between music and cinema has changed. "Dhoom" had one hit song, and that song made the film a hit. I feel audiences shouldn't be tortured with unwanted songs. At the same time why deprive them of something they love? Q: Anything in Hindi songs that you like lately? A: I like M.M. Kreem's songs. "Jadu hai nasha hai" in "Jism" and some of the Pakistani songs. Otherwise Hindi music seems to be following the herd mentality. There's no time to think...One "Kaliyon ka chaman" and everyone uses the same rhythms. Fortunately I'm not forced to do anything that I don't want to. Q: Are you happy with your career? A: My career is not in my hands. I'm happy with what I'm doing. But I'm always thirsty for more. There's no fixed working place for me. Chennai is my home, I guess. But I want to reach out to the listener in Kanjeevaram and Kolkata. Their approval means a lot to me.

(IANS)

sweetdisha thumbnail

'Water' creates waves at Toronto Film Festival

Thursday September 15 2005 19:18 IST
IANS

TORONTO: Indian origin filmmaker Deepa Mehta's "Water" created waves at the 30th annual Toronto International Film Festival when it was screened at its gala opening in this Canadian city.

The story of "Water" - the third in Deepa Mehta's elements trilogy that includes the 1996 film "Fire" and the 1998 film "Earth" - revolves around an eight-year-old child bride in pre-Independence India who is sent to a widow's ashram after her husband's death.

The film was screened Sep 8 at the opening of the 10-day festival that includes 335 entries from 52 countries, reported South Asia Observer.

The shooting of "Water" in 2000 in Varanasi, India, had been disrupted by radical Hindus. She eventually finished shooting the film in Sri Lanka.

"Water", which boasts of a great musical score by A.R. Rahman, features Lisa Ray, John Abraham and Seema Biswas. The film's star cast and Deepa Mehta were present at the festival opening.

With a choked voice, Mehta said: "It's fabulous, I just feel honoured."

Welcoming Mehta, the festival co-director Noah Cowan said: "We are extremely pleased to have Deepa Mehta open the Toronto International Film Festival for the first time with this extraordinary film. The festival has been a long time supporter of her extraordinary career and she has been a wonderful partner for us in building this festival and organisation."

Noted Bengali filmmaker Buddhadeb Dasgupta's "Memories in the Mist" (Kaalpurush) was the only complete Indian production (other films being co-productions) to be screened at the festival.

In this film, Dasgupta takes on family intimacies, global politics and time. Adapting his own novel, "America, America," he returns to the layered portraits of Bengali society that have earned him a reputation in the top ranks of world cinema. He blends satire with domestic drama.

British movie "Mistress of Spices", which stars Aishwarya Rai, was screened as a special presentation.

Tilo (Aishwarya), a member of a secret clan of women, is the mistress of a spice shop in Oakland, California. She draws on ancient wisdom and measures out remedies to cure heartache, banish bad luck and rescue the wretched from life's wrong turns. The spices also represent tradition, which she is unable to leave for western attraction. The film is co-produced by Gurinder Chadha and Deepak Nayar.

There was "John and Jane", a documentary film by Ashim Ahluwalia.

Some of the works at the festival were by filmmakers of Indian origin but not of Indian theme. "Shopgirl" was one such film, directed by Anand Tucker, produced by Ashok Amritraj, Jon Jashni and Steve Martin. There was Udayan Prasad's "Opa", set in the sun-drenched Greek islands, and Renuka Jeyapalan's short film "Big Girl".

Other red carpet events in the festival included the world premieres of Guy Ritche's "Revolver" and Jackie Chan adventure "The Myth". It also had North American premiere of first-time director and Academy Award winning actor Tommy Lee Jone's "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada".

Action thriller "Edison" - starring Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman and Justin Timberlake (silver screen debut) - was scheduled for the closing night gala presentation as the final red carpet event of the festival.

Several prominent Hollywood stars were among the 500 filmmakers and actors who joined the prestigious festival. They included - Johnny Depp, Anthony Hopkins, Steve Martin, Tommy Lee Jones, Liza Minnelli, Madonna, Cameron Diaz, Helena Bonham Carter, Gwyneth Paltrow, Charlize Theron, Orlando Bloom and Heath Ledger.

Throngs of movie goers and star-struck fans caught up in festival fever stood in long lines to get tickets for their favourites, even during afternoons of workdays.

Source : www.newindpress.com

sweetdisha thumbnail
www.abc.net.au - Interview

Indian composer brings Bollywood to Lord of the Rings

This is a transcript from AM. The program is broadcast around Australia at 08:00 on ABC Local Radio.

AM - Friday, 16 September , 2005  08:24:00

Reporter: Karen Barlow

TONY EASTLEY: A megastar of music, adored by millions, has managed to slip into the country virtually unnoticed. Indian composer and musician A.R. Rahman has among his fans Andrew Lloyd Webber, Baz Lurhmann, Cate Blanchett and of course millions of fellow Indians.

He's composed the music for scores of albums and Bollywood films, and is gearing up for what may be a very controversial project, a stage musical production of Lord of The Rings .

A R Rahman, who was born a Hindu but who converted to Islam, is in Australia for stadium concerts in Melbourne and Sydney, which are already sold out.

AM 's Karen Barlow reports.

(Sound of Rahman's music)

KAREN BARLOW: A classically trained musician from the India's Tamil south, A.R. Rahman, started his career writing advertising jingles. India's prolific and vibrant Bollywood film industry took notice, and since 1992 he's been in demand as a film scorer and artist. Rahman is known for melding traditional Indian music with western ideas and modern instruments.

A R RAHMAN: When I got my first break I thought I don't want to do the same thing, which other people are doing here. I want our music to go around the world, being appreciated by all people around the globe rather than just being the (inaudible) of Indian, Asian people.

So that made me take efforts to do little changes, changing the beats or whatever and getting harmonies and chord progressions and stuff like that, you know, with traditional Indian melodies. And I think something, some magic happened.

A R RAHMAN: I do appreciate every kind of music and sometimes it comes in naturally rather than intentionally.

KAREN BARLOW: A R Rahman's joyful melodies and rhythms have won over millions of people, including Sydney's Vandana Ram, who's grown up with traditional Indian music.

VANDANA RAM: It is an experience of discovery, because you feel like you're starting off somewhere, it's often really slow and then it builds up and you go on a little journey with it.

There's often really strong percussion, so there's a fantastic sort of build up and climax, it's a whole experience. Yeah, I just find it leaves me… it's just fulfilling.

KAREN BARLOW: While Bollywood is starting to be mass-marketed to western audiences, Vandana Ram says A.R. Rahman is in a class of his own. Rahman says Bollywood compliments his work, but he's starting to reach out to a wider audience.

Andrew Lloyd Webber got him to do the music for his Broadway production, Bombay Dreams , three years ago.

Now he's working with Finnish folk musicians on the score for a Lord of the Rings stage musical, which is set to open in Toronto early next year.

(To A.R. Rahman) Well, tell me about that, because it's really hard to imagine The Lord of the Rings as a musical. I mean, how are you approaching this?

A R RAHMAN: It's a… they don't want to call this a musical, because there's so much music in it, probably two times more music in it than other musical shows, but it's done in a way where it's not the typical… ok, now, you're going to hear a song.

KAREN BARLOW: It's not Disney?

A R RAHMAN: No.

KAREN BARLOW: Oh, that's good. Because I suppose there are a lot of fans of The Lord of the Rings , even before the movies came out, and they'll be very particular about this.

A R RAHMAN: Very true. And I think some of them will definitely be more happy than with the films, when they see the show.

KAREN BARLOW: Really? That's a big call.

A R RAHMAN: Yeah. We are hoping that.

TONY EASTLEY: Indian composer and musician, A.R. Rahman ending that report from Karen Barlow.
sweetdisha thumbnail

Friends, I can take a little break now.I have posted all the articles I found.I can guess  u r thinking that this gal is crazy,yes friends I am.Hope these articles wouldnt bore u.waiting for ur responses suggestions.I will try to put some notation of his songs n also some ringtones notation if u want.

A.S.P.I.R.E thumbnail
Disha .. you have done some amazing research .. !! 👏 👏 .. The articles are fabulous ..

You know what I am gonna do .. compile all his pics and post them as a thread .. to which we can have link in this thread ...

what do you say ?
mitts thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Hey disha gr8 work looking forward to ur more research 😛