Music Corner

A.R.Rahman (Fan Club)

sweetdisha thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Hi Friends,

The name A.R.Rahman needs no introduction. The man who redefined contemporary Indian music and is the pride of the entire nation and an idol for millions all over the world needs no preamble. 

I guess there are many fans of A.R.Rahman in this forum.But they dont have a place to share their views, feelings about him.So here it is.

I hope all the Fans of Rahmanji would join and enrich this section with their valuable comments, suggestions,feelings about his music, updates,interviews, pictures and a lot.

And Critics, u r most wellcome if u are constructive and logical.

With love

disha

Edited by sweetdisha - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sweetdisha thumbnail

Feeling excited???????Want to join this club???

You are most well come.But this club has some simple conditions.

1.No bashing is allowed in this club,(neither  ARR nor any others)

2.Critics are most welcome if they are constructive and logical.

3.No personal attact to other members would be allowed.

4.As a responsible member of this club you would not post any topics here that are provocating,fake or insulting to others.

5.You should care about your fellow members feelings.

Agreed???Still want to join???Then  please send me a pm .I would be gald to enlist your name in the list of our valuable member.

To The

of

sweetdisha thumbnail

1.anju101πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘   
2.Dawn05πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘   
3.doly_455πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘   
4.KK_lassiπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘   
5.vinit_rocksπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
6.teenindia_usaπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘  
7.soulsoupπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
8.A.S.P.I.R.E.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
9.angel_wingsπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
10.sammieπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
11.rage797πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
12.rach_nirπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

sweetdisha thumbnail

Brief Biography

Allah Rakha Rahman (born on January 6, 1966 as A.S. Dileep Kumar in Chennai, India) is a popular Indian film music composer. He is a native Tamilian. He made his debut in 1992 with Mani Ratnam's Tamil movie, Roja (Rose), which was subsequently dubbed into many languages. Ram Gopal Verma's Rangeela (Colorful) (1995) was the first Hindi movie to have Rahman as the music director. He is a recipient of the Padma Shri.

Early Years

Rahman is the only son of R. K. Sekhar, who was an arranger and conductor for Malayalam films. His father died when Rahman was nine years old, and his family used to rent out musical equipment to make ends meet, something they found very difficult. During those hard times, a Sufi (Muslim) saint helped them spiritually. This led him to convert to Islam.

At the age of 11, Rahman joined the troupe of Indian composer Ilayaraja as a keyboardist. He later played on the orchestra of M.S. Vishwanathan and Ramesh Naidu, and accompanied Zakir Hussain and Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan on world tours. The experience allowed him to obtain a scholarship to the Trinity College at Oxford University, where he received a degree in Western classical music.

Music Career

In 1991, Rahman began his own studio (attached to his house), called the Panchathan Record Inn. He initially composed music for use in advertisements, the title music on popular Indian Television channels and music in documentaries, among other projects. Rahman was, at first, hesitant about composing music for the Indian film industry primarily because most film makers at the time used songs as "fillers" - a means by which the audience was given a break from the movie's plot. In 1991 he was approached by film director Mani Ratnam, who offered Rahman the job as composer of music for his upcoming film Roja, at a price of Rs. 25,000. Rahman accepted, and the movie's superhit debut made him a household name in Tamil Nadu virtually overnight and led Rahman to receive the Rajat Kamal award for best music director at the Indian National Film Awards, the first time ever by a debutant. Rahman has since then gone on to win the award 3 more times (for Minsaara Kanavu (Electric Dreams, Tamil) in 1997, Lagaan (Tax, Hindi) in 2002 and Kannathil Muthamittal (A Peck on the Cheek, Tamil) in 2003), the most ever by any composer.

A.R. Rahman combined the usage of technology and music. He has been successful in creating his own style of composition by a symbiosis of the best elements of technology and Indian classical instruments. However some critics allege that he makes excessive usage of technology in his music.

When Rahman arrived onto the Indian music scene with his first film Roja, the music industry in India was going through a crisis with the retirement of older music composers and the lack of innovation in Indian film music. Roja was a massive hit, and Rahman followed it up with a number of other extremely popular films, including Bombay, Rangeela, Dil Se and Taal . The huge sales of these albums prompted movie producers to take film music more seriously.

Another point worth noting is that while Ilayaraaja brought western music in Indian Instruments, A.R.Rahman pioneered the art of composing Indian classical Carnatic and Hindustani music and using western Instruments to play those tunes.

Rahman's work is also unique in the fact that his collaborations with a few movie directors have always resulted in hugely successful albums. In particular, he has worked with Mani Ratnam on eight movies (until 2004) (see list of movies by Mani Ratnam featuring A R Rahman), all of which have been musical superhits. Also notable is his collaboration with the director Shankar (Gentleman, Kadhalan, Indian, Jeans, Mudhalvan, Nayak and Boys).

Lord Lloyd-Webber with A.R. Rahman

He made an album Vande Mataram (1996) on India's national song. Recently, he also came up with an album called Jana gana mana, a huge conglomeration of performances by all the leading exponents/artists of Indian classical music.

His latest work includes Mani Ratnams's Yuva, Meenaxi: Tale of 3 Cities, Bose - The Forgotten Hero, Swades, Mangal Pandey - The Rising and Rang De Basanti. He is working on one of Shyam Benegal's most expensive ventures, undisclosed so far, but will release in the spring of 2006.

International Accolades

Andrew Lloyd Webber, a well known composer of musicals, was impressed with Rahman's unique style and therefore hired him to compose his maiden stage production Bombay Dreams (2002). This play was well received in England and opened him up to new vistas in Hollywood. Currently (as of May 2004) Rahman, along with the Finnish folk music band Vrttin, is composing for The Lord of the Rings musical, set to open in Toronto on March 23 2006.

Rahman received more international attention with this article in the TIME magazine. Rahman's first movie album "Roja" was listed in TIME magazine's TOP 10 Movie Soundtracks of all time; source. According to BBC Rahman is reported to have sold 100 million records world-wide.

In 2000, Rahman's annual income was estimated to be around $4 million from worldwide endorsements and royalties dating back to Roja (1992). According to Rediff.com, rights for his Tamil album Kandukondain Kandukondain (2000) was sold for an astonishing record sum of Rs2.2 crores! This record still remains unbeaten six years hence.

anju101 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
hey nice of you to start this fan club..i absolutely love his music.. πŸ˜ƒ
doly_455 thumbnail
me tooo!!!!!!!! πŸ˜›
i love his music and he represents indian music in every way.
KK_lassi thumbnail
Very informative Sweet Disha. I have always searched magazines and papers to knw more abt him, but I never came across any such above which has cleared all my questions. Anywayz, he is really talented...may be he is R.D Burman of our age. I'm in this club.
Bratati_0712 thumbnail
i m always here
ARR is my fav MDπŸ˜›
sweetdisha thumbnail

Hi anjuji,Thanks for joining.Please suggest how can we improve our fan club, what else u want to know about him.Plz feel free to post anything u like about him.

Originally posted by: anju101

hey nice of you to start this fan club..i absolutely love his music.. πŸ˜ƒ

sweetdisha thumbnail

Thanks for joining.Please suggest how can we improve our fan club, what else u want to know about him.Plz feel free to post anything u like about him.

Originally posted by: heart girl

Woah! πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰