Music Corner

India-Forums

Music Corner
Music Corner

A Tribute to Himesh Reshammiya (FANCLUB) (Page 171)

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 9:00am | IP Logged

An old interview again:

Breaking Through

By Shumona Goel "YOU can't make music without the help of goddess Saraswati," he says upfront. The son of the veteran maestro Vipin Reshammiya, who first introduced electronic instruments to Indian cinema, Himesh Reshammiya, is hitting the big leagues as music director – with a clutch of seven Bollywood films, no less. At 27, Himesh is fresh and very excited about his future. Especially since songs from his first soundtrack for David Dhawan's forthcoming Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge are already high up on the charts. Himesh attributes his most recent success to his unique use of melody, terming his soundtrack "a fusion of trendy orchestration with a lot of soulful melody, lyrics of standard, and foot tapping rhythms." His style, he says, is largely inspired by 1960s big time music director Shankar Jaikishan who was known for adding peppy melodies to orchestration. Himesh says he owes it all to two people after God. His father -- his guru and guide who trained him in music, and director Sohail Khan. It was Khan who gave Himesh his first break into the world of film music when he asked him to compose two songs for his hit film Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya. With a sigh of gratitude, Himesh says, "Even though I'm only doing solo work for films now, I will work life-long for Sohail Khan--even if he asks me to do just one song. I'm completely indebted to him." Like most artists, though, Himesh is a sensitive guy. Quietly he lets on the secret of his success: "Of course, the inspiration to my success is my wife Komal." Music In The Bank
Since the age of 17, Reshammiya has been composing his own stuff – not knowing when, if at all, it would ever be heard. Ten years later, though, his hard work is finally beginning to pay off: he's got a meaty collection of some 320 commercial compositions that are up for grabs. Film directors such as David Dhawan and Sohail Khan were quick to note Reshammiya's perseverance and talent and now other directors like Mahesh Majarekar and Rahul Rawail have also caught on to the potential of his colorful and melodious tunes. And Himesh doesn't seem to think there's anything strange about using songs from his pre-existing bank for films he's working on now. He says, "My collection of songs has a lot of variety to it. So only if I need to, do I compose some songs that are just for the situation of that particular film." Beyond Music Boxes
Music isn't Himesh's only forte. Indeed, he's also one of the most successful television producers who is remembered for the Bollywoodization of television. Andaz, Zee TV's biggest soap, ran for four and a half years. A typical hodge-podge of emotions, drama and human relationships, the soap roped in film stars like Prem Chopra into television, drawing on, in its milieu, subjects that were larger than life. The serial had technical dexterity, production values, and courageous visuals that gave it a sleek look unprecedented on television. And because he's invaded the music scene with such a bang doesn't mean that he's moved away from television, he says, quick to silence critics. "TV production and music are like two eyes for me," he explains. "Production is important to me for creativity and business. And music is my passion. Just like two hands or two legs." You'd think that since Himesh is doing so well for himself at such a young age, he could be taking it easy -- chilling out at home with his three year old son (who by the way is already composing "in his own way" as Himesh puts it.) Think again. The man is already hard at work 18 hours a day, with no plans to take a holiday anytime soon.

Well, as long as there's money to be made, who are we to argue?

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 9:03am | IP Logged
Himesh Reshammiya
By Ashish Bhinde
Date: 2002-07-07

He started as a television soap producer and he also composed the title songs for his serials. Do you still remember that 'Andaaz' serial's title song rendered by Kumar Sanu? Himesh Reshammiya is the man who made that song. In Bollywood, he made his debut with Salman's home production and now, with the popular music of Humraaz and Kyaa Dil Ne Kahaa, he has come into the limelight once again. Teenstation's Ashish Bhinde met the maker of today's Reshmi music at his residence. Excerpts of an interview…

From television producer to music director, how did you manage to do everything?
I started as a television producer, that's true but it is also true that I was trained in Indian classical by my father all through my childhood. I wanted to make it big in films and was looking out for a break. It was Salman who promised to provide me with a launch pad and he kept his word by offering his brother's Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya. Fortunately, my debut song 'Odh li chunariya' was a smash hit. Today, the grace of Maa Sarawaswati I compose at least one song a day.

Your latest work in Humraaz is acclaimed by all. How do you feel about this?
My compositions in Humraaz have come from my own bank of tunes. I have at least 350 compositions in my bank which I have created over the years' hard work. The songs of Humraaz have the element of classical ragas as their base along with the use of Techno sound. The overall impact of these songs is very youthful and live. Right from the beginning, I had the instinct about Humraaz numbers and now, that has proved true. May be it is too early to say but I am also confident that I will get award for Humraaz.

Nowadays, it has become a trend to involve more then one music director in a film. What are your thoughts on that?
I can say that I was indirectly responsible in starting this trend. In Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya, I was not the solo music director. I believe that producers have to make such adjustments due to various reasons. Having more than one music director is like a jigsaw puzzle as the songs of the movie sound like absolutely different from each other. This trend is not good either for the music directors or makers. Also, the listeners don't get due returns for whatever they spend on buying an album. I think this trend will not last long.

Do you believe that today's music has short life and it is not as sweet as the old music?
See, things have changed a lot over the period of time. Earlier, rendition was given maximum importance in any song while today, that part is played by the orchestration. The ratio of voice and orchestra was 70:30 then which is now reversed. Then that was the time when too much of homework was done before making a song. But there are more reasons to lesser life of today's songs. One of them is overly increased number of songs. Few years ago, we had three to four dozen films a year which has now increased to 300. This has stiffened the competition and before some song manages to win the listener's mind, another song comes and forces him to take its notice.

And what about melody?
It's true that the melody factor has also decreased a bit but a music director has to grab the attention within no time. And the target audience now is the youth. They love heavy orchestra and fast beat. This, however, doesn't mean that the youth has no sense of raga and good music. Most music directors use ragas extensively. In the title song of Humraaz, for example, I have used raga Ahir Bhairav. The thing is that how you pack a song and deliver it to the audience. I feel that music is just music and you have to present it in a nice way, whatever your style and way are.

We also see that songs are generally not placed imaginatively in films today. Does this affect their appealing?
Being at the technical end of the film I feel good if my music's appeal increases with its good placing in a film. But that is not a big concern to me. I believe if a song is good, it will be appreciated even if it is not placed properly in the film. And in case of film music, sometime songs become popular before the release of a film and help it to attract the audience, or sometime a good film helps its songs to gain ground.

How important is it to have a good maker while working as a music director?
Good tuning between a maker and music director results into the creation of hummable music. A good maker also presents songs well and enhances their appeal. And if he has that extra sense of music, he easily extracts great compositions from his music director. Today, some makers come with situations and demand appropriate numbers while others just come and check music director's bank to pick up a few suitable tunes for his film. Everyone has his own style and the music is created out of that.

What about lyrics writers?
I have worked with Sameer, Sudhakar Sharma and Sanjay Chhel. I personally like Anand Bakshi.

It is a trend now for music directors to turn singers. Do you have any such wish?
(Smiles) Actually, I am a trained singer with lots of studies done in classical. Yes, I wish I sing some day but as of now, I am concentrating on music. By the way, my album with Tips is under conceptualization and you can certainly wait for it to see light of the day.

Which are your forthcoming films?
Two of my films have released in a short span and Yeh Hai Jalwa is also on the verge of release very soon. I also have a Satish Kaushik film, which is a remake of South's super hit film Setu, a Sangeet Sivan film which is produced by Pantaloons (Sanjay Khan's son's debut film), the next of Abbas-Mustan and one film each of Ultra and David Dhawan.

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 9:10am | IP Logged

Ashmit Patel about the music of Benaras:

The music is very important in a love film. This film has music by Himesh Reshammiya who is on a high. Tell us about the music.

The music of Banaras is completely different from Himesh's work of the past couple of months. The music he composed for this film was done about a year ago. It is a genuinely unique sound. His work of the past few months has been more in tune with the club culture. On the other hand, the sound of this film is very different. Keeping in mind the script and the city of Banaras, the music of the film is spectacular. There is a lot of variety. There is a holi song, a beautiful love song and a sargam. It's not the typical Himesh Reshammiya that we have been seeing and hearing on television. I think this album is going to be one of his best. Of late people are saying that his sound is becoming stagnant. But this album will surprise people.

http://in.movies.yahoo.com/060324/24/634x8.html

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged

Himesh Reshammiya – A good singer, a better composer!

The 'let's rock' mentor of Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005, Himesh Reshammiya is the talk of the town these days. His songs are being played in about every pub and disco. People are mumbling his melodious compositions throughout India and even abroad. He is giving his audience hit songs one after another and his popularity just keeps rising with smashing tracks like Aashiq Banaya Aapne, Aap Ki Kashish, Jhalak Dikhlaja and now, Zara Jhoom Jhoom from Tom Dick and Harry. Undoubtedly, he is a great composer. His compositions target the youngsters of today and have become popular among them. In fact, I can hear his song Mohabbat Ki from Aksar from my brother's room as I am writing this. His music is everywhere these days. But there is an issue that I have been thinking about. Is Himesh Reshammiya a better composer or a better singer? Is he even a good singer or too nasally to be a singer? Well, let's see, I think there is a good and a bad side to everyone/everything and I can say the same for Himesh Reshammiya.

The Good Side

Reshammiya struggled a lot in life to rise to the position he is at today. He started his career about 10 years ago with Andaz. Success didn't come easy to him, but it did. As I heard him say, he owes a lot of his career or popularity to Salman Khan, who promised Reshammiya a break and who lived up to his promise. I appreciate and admire Himesh for being so ardent and persistent in what he was doing. He didn't lose hope but continued to compose music in hopes that one day, he will be noticed. I love that trait. Also, he has proved himself as an amazing composer. Not just the latest hits, but if we go back and take a look at his past compositions, they were some of the best. There was Odh Li Chunariya from Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya, Kya Dil Ne Kaha and Humraaz. But, I think the film that he started getting noticed from was Tere Naam. And From there on, there was no stopping Reshammiya. I really like his music. It's very different and original. Each and every composition of his has its own charm. His music, besides being just good, is also hit. I read an article on him and it said that he tries to compose at least two tunes a day and has hundreds of tunes in his bank. He definitely works hard for delivering the best to his producers.

The Bad (not-so-good) Side

I do not have a problem with his voice or the way he sings. Yes, I do agree that a nasal voice is reflected in all his songs but that's his style, that's the way he sings. What I do have a problem with is that this style is way too repetitive. He should change his singing style a little bit in each of his songs. Also, the music videos of his songs are getting old. I mean, Jhalak Dikhlaja, Mohabbat Ki and Zara Jhoom essentially have the same theme. Reshammiya singing with a microphone in his hand and a cap on his head and the lead actors jumping around with no or very little clothes on. Professionally, Reshammiya is excellent. But, personally, his attitude comes across to be very rude and arrogant. In a recent interview, he claimed that he's not arrogant. Maybe he's not, but that's what reflects from his attitude, expressions and smile (or the lack of it). I don't like his I-am-at-the-top-of-this-world-and-no-one-is-better-than-me attitude. I used to watch Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005 regularly and I noticed how easily Reshammiya would lose his temper at little jokes that someone made. He used to take them personally and fight over them like little kids. In an interview, he clarified, "Maybe, I am not good at humour; or maybe my straight-faced look makes people think it's attitude. But it's not that way at all. If that's what people felt after watching me on TV, let me clear it — Himesh is not bitter about anything." If that's the case, he really needs to change that "straight-faced look" and maybe put on a gentle smile.

As a composer, I would rate Reshammiya 9/10. He's brilliant at his work. As a singer, he's about 7/10.

He has a whole lot of films signed for 2006: Milenge Milenge, Shaadi Se Pehle, Benaam, 36 China Town and Love Story 2050. I think he's going to rule this year with his melodious and earth-shattering music. I wish him all the best for the future. 

http://www.aainaism.com/2006/03/20/117/himesh-reshammiya-%E2 %80%93-a-good-singer-a-better-composer/

sweetdisha Senior Member
sweetdisha
sweetdisha

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 9:23am | IP Logged

5 Responses to "Himesh Reshammiya – A good singer, a better composer!"

HARI Says:
    March 29th, 2006 at 9:52 pm

Himesh Reshammiya , I think was the best mentor in srgmp2005. I, think , he is very cool because even if some mentors say something wrong , he didn;t give opposite answer beacuse he respect all his seniors. He looks sensitive, may be people think , arrogant. But he is not. I feel that he is a very good human being ,then great MD and good singer. If he sings nasal, thats his style, and majority of people liked it, so no body should have problem with that. As he started singing with "Ashiq Banaya" , thats was also little nasal, but it is superhit, I think whatever the style HR has, the people from all over world like his singing style. And now in movie Banaras he sings quite a different low pitch song. I really appreciate that HR is a good human being as well as good MD and singer. His student Vinit is also very talented. God Bless you, Vinit, we are eagerly waiting for you in US for ur concert.

Payal Says:
    March 29th, 2006 at 10:00 pm

Himesh Reshammiya is a very good composer as well as very good singer. I like his all songs like "Ashiq Banaya", "Apki kashish", "janabe Ali", "jhalak dikhlaza" and now "ZHoom". All his songs are fantsatic. Though his first profession is composer, but he is so talented that he is giving so hit numbers by singing too. Keep it up Himesh ji,
    with your good work. His singing style is unique, , but it appeals a lot , his all songs are fantastic. Congrats to him that he got best singer award for AShiq banaya, Himesh ji, you should Visit US also for concert as u did in Dubai.

Sumit Says:
    March 29th, 2006 at 10:11 pm

Himesh is a very music director , singer and a great Guru . We like his "tere naam " alot. I wish , we will hear some music like "tere naam " very soon from him. He teach singing to his student Vinit and gave him full support. A person can be a good Guru or Teacher, only if he is a good human being first. So people who think , he is arrogant, is very wrong. May be they misunderstood him. How he supported Vinit , his respect for all mentors and elders show that he is a great human being.

karan Says:
    March 29th, 2006 at 10:16 pm

I personally think that in srgmp 2005, with the student of Himesh ji, there was injustice, because debojit was not deserving at all, all the judges gave yellow cards to Debojit , in judges round, but as soon voting started debojit started to be on top because of all regional voting. Vinit , always got greens from judges and a fantastic singer. I think this regional voting has put the talented singers behind and the undeserving are coming in front and winning the contest. In this way , in future we can;t have best singers, because this voting system is giving singers which are not best.

1. RAJVEER - TORONTO Says:
    April 10th, 2006 at 5:01 pm

I Think he is the best I never like much indian songs but until now I can not believe the voice he has its awsome….I love it the video he made for the songs they are great he did really a great jobs!!!! I love his all songs!!!!!!!!! The video of "Naam Hai Tera" it was great work he put in it…..i hope he is a good human being bec he has a so much fans who loves him alot and his work!!!!! Keep up man!!!!!!!!!
    God Bless u!!!!!! Love Yah
    Your Fan from Toronto - Canada

2. http://www.aainaism.com/2006/03/20/117/himesh-reshammiya-%E2 %80%93-a-good-singer-a-better-composer/

teenindia_usa IF-Sizzlerz
teenindia_usa
teenindia_usa

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 10:26am | IP Logged
Nice Articles
teenindia_usa
teenindia_usa

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged
Nice Articles
teenindia_usa