Indian Idol 6

Anu Malik cancels contract :-clashes

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Anu Malik cancels contract

The music composer refuses to share sound space with Himesh Reshammiya in T series film

Subhash K Jha

Anu Malik

Himesh Reshammiya

* I'm not trying to make a career as a singer

* Anu Malik spits venom at fellow musician Himesh Reshammiya

Professional rivalry and a fall-out had been brewing between Himesh Reshammiya and Anu Malik for some time now. But the fracas has come on faster than one imagined. It was bad enough for Anu that Himesh Reshammiya's numbers were riding high on the charts and he subsequently walked away with all the popular awards this year. But the final blow to Anu's pride was delivered when T Series brought together Himesh and Bhushan Kumar's sister Tulsi Kumar for an added song in the Akshay Kumar-Katrina Kaif romance Humko Deewana Kar Gaye, a film for which Anu was composing music.

"I've had issues earlier with people like David Dhawan and Mukesh Bhatt for bringing other composers into the picture," says Anu. 

"But I was given to understand that the whole score in Humko Deewana….is mine. In fact, I never do soundtracks where I have to share sound-space with others. How was I to know that a song will be added after the release   of the album?"

Anu admits that Himesh's number came as a shock to him. "I had no idea this was coming. I've now decided to get a written contract with every producer; this will ensure no other composer being brought in at the last minute. I've spoken to Harry Baweja about it. I told him I'll do his son's Love Story 2050 only if I have it in writing that I'll be the only music composer. Harry is a sweet man. He understood what I've gone through."

"It's very clear that T Series is promoting one music director only. I wish them all the best," adds Anu. "I'm happy with my daal-chawal. I don't want biryani.   I'm not looking for a career as a singer. In fact, after this incident I went to Bhushan Kumar and asked him to cancel my contract with T Series."

The music director had recently signed a three-year contract with the music company as composer and singer for non-film albums. "As I said I'd rather focus on my composing career right now. So this incident (with T Series) has been a blessing in disguise. It has helped me to get my priorities right. I don't want to do private albums. Not when J.P. Dutta's Umrao Jaan is around the corner. At this point in my career, I'm looking to compose for the likes of Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Karan Johar and Aditya Chopra. I wouldn't have been able to do so if I had to divert my energies to private albums."

Reacting to Anu's outburst, Himesh replies, "I've the highest regard for Anuji. He's my senior and I've been deeply impressed by his track record. I've no interest in poaching on anybody else's domain, least of all Anuji's. I agreed to do the song for the promotional video of  Humko Deewana  Kar Gaye only after T Series showed me the   NOC (no  objection  certificate) from Anu-ji. If he had an objection to my song, then why did he give them an NOC?"

Meanwhile, Bhushan Kumar of T Series says, "We see absolutely no reason for Anuji to be upset with Himesh doing the promotional song. Does he say he had no choice but to give the NOC? I don't know what he means by that. There was no pressure on him to give the NOC. We're going to put out a new edition of  the Humko…. soundtrack with Himesh's song in it."

ANU MALIK
•  Composer-turned-singer
•  Judge on Indian Idol
•  Known to be brash and rude with contestants
•  Had differences with Farah and Sonu over contestants
•  He used shayari to describe the performance but never praised contestants
•  Promised to give some contestants a break in Bollywood

HIMESH RESHAMMIYA
•  Composer-turned-singer
•  Judge on Sa Re Ga Ma Pa
•  Boasted about and promoted only his protg Vinit
•  Never had any arguments with co-judges
•  He was vociferous in his praise for Vinit resulting in his protg's over-confidence
•  Vinit has sung for Himesh in the film Rocky

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=10&am p;sectname=Entertainment&sess=31753089

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

anonmember thumbnail
[quote]• Promised to give some contestants a break in Bollywood[/quote]

Good, they mentioned that he's offered breaks to contestants. Now he better keep his word.

Thanks for the article.
Dancnballa23 thumbnail
Man composers are sure egoistic!  I also don't like the fact that Anu got into an arguement with Udit Narayanji a while ago 😡   Udit Narayanji is such a humble person and an awesome singer, and he took advantage of him.... 😡😡😡  I also read in an article that Anu said to the media that "Maybe he (Uditji) is jealous because I have accomplished more than him"  Damnit, my heart burned with anger when I read that sentence. 😡😡😡  Uditji is one of the most famous playback singers in India while Anu is what?  The most famous plagerizing music composer 😡😡  Edited by Dancnballa23 - 18 years ago
glamritz thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
really anu malik and udit narayan had a fight? over what?
Dancnballa23 thumbnail
Originally posted by: glamourous

really anu malik and udit narayan had a fight? over what?

Yes, it was a while ago, maybe a year ago?  Anu called Uditji for a song in the studio.  Uditji arrived 5 late, but apologized (he is a busy man!).  Anu was pissed I guess.  Then during the song recording, Uditji had a bit of trouble getting the tune remembered right or something like that, and Anu i guess threw a fit at him or something.  Uditji stormed out of the studio room, and Anu brought Abhijeet to record the song later. 

I read in an Uditji interview, he said something like "It was both of our fault, but it happens and I would be glad to put this incident behind us and move on"...........but Anu i guess didn't confront to this incident like a mature adult. 
  Edited by Dancnballa23 - 18 years ago
~RexKiRani~ thumbnail
thanx for the article
Dancnballa23 thumbnail
don't mean to hijack this thread 😛 you can take this as a BUMP 😉

Here is the article:

Udit-Anu: Bad Note

Singer Udit Narayan and music director had a showdown recently. Udit Narayan was to record a song for Raj Kanwar's film. The singer who was to come to the studios at 1 O'clock in the afternoon landed up at six in the evening. What worsened the situation was when Udit could not get the notes the way Anu Malik wanted him to. That made Anu a trifle irritated. He pointed out Udit's mistake and Udit in turn screamed at Anu and walked out of the recording studio. Confirming the untoward incident, director Raj Kanwar said, "It is true that Udit did not come on time for recording. Instead of making up for the lost time, he kept looking at Anu and when he could not get the notes right he walked out of the studio." Anu Malik said, "I don't know why he did what he did. He said, "You are finished!" Probably because I'm more famous than him." Though director Raj Kanwar and music director Anu Malik confirmed the news, singer Udit Narayan said something totally contradictory. "No such incident had taken place. I recorded peacefully. There were no arguments," he said.

It feels like Anu himself probably hired someone to type this article. 😡 Uditji is such a humble human being, he wouldn't say anything like "You are FInished!" or scream at someone 😕 And look what Anu's response is 😡
anonmember thumbnail
Originally posted by: Dancnballa23

Yes, it was a while ago, maybe a year ago?  Anu called Uditji for a song in the studio.  Uditji arrived 5 late, but apologized (he is a busy man!).  Anu was pissed I guess.  Then during the song recording, Uditji had a bit of trouble getting the tune remembered right or something like that, and Anu i guess threw a fit at him or something.  Uditji stormed out of the studio room, and Anu brought Abhijeet to record the song later. 

I read in an Uditji interview, he said something like "It was both of our fault, but it happens and I would be glad to put this incident behind us and move on"...........but Anu i guess didn't confront to this incident like a mature adult. 

Five minutes or five hours? Either way, its not like things happen on time in Bollywood anyway. Everyone is late or they don't show up.
Dancnballa23 thumbnail
Originally posted by: sonyaee

Five minutes or five hours? Either way, its not like things happen on time in Bollywood anyway. Everyone is late or they don't show up.

Five hours