Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Industry raves about 'Rang De Basanti

dazzlingdesi IF-Dazzler
dazzlingdesi
dazzlingdesi

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 3:10pm | IP Logged
John Abraham
John Abraham thinks RDB is one of the finest films in recent times
For a long time now, no film has initiated as much reaction and debate as Rang De Basanti. These 17 reels of 'youth gone astray turning responsible' saga has become a super hit, according to industry sources. Here, we record a few reactions from within the industry, about the film.

Director Ashwini Choudhary, who made Dhoop and Siskiyaan, says, "For me, Rang De Basanti is the most honest, brave, meaningful and contemporary film of recent times. It takes Indian cinema to a new high. It holds up a mirror to today's derailed, de-focused, self centered and confused youngsters of our times, and succeeds like anything in teaching, moving, motivating and shaking them. A milestone. I salute Raykesh Mehra and his team. Vande Mataram."

John Abraham, the heartthrob of millions and a likely superstar of tomorrow, was more reserved in his opinion. Says John "Irrespective of patriotic sentiments, it is one of the finest films in recent times."
Rauf Ahmed
Rauf Ahmed
Versatile television actress Narayani Shastri opined: "I've seen the film four times straight, and that I think tells you what I feel about the film. Sadly, in India, things happen exactly as Mr. Mehra has shown it to be. And when a film like this happens, it wakes you up, albeit temporarily. More often than not, we just leave the theatre to get back to our own world. I wish this film spurred our youth and everyone else, into action. It is only the youth power that will raise this country, though unfortunately today's youth is more interested in aping the West. It's high time we got rid of this 'Western slave' attitude, which seems to have got right into our genetic make-up."

Veteran journalist and ex editor of Screen and Filmfare, Rauf Ahmed, who was also involved with the film from its early days, is very forthright "It's a brilliant film, and the format of the film, which is different from most others, has been widely accepted. This is not one of those films that pay lip service to the issue of patriotism. And patriotism cannot be packaged and sold. Inherently, as one is watching the film, it strikes a chord within the viewer, and brings out the feeling of patriotism from within. Cinema does play a large role in influencing the thinking and behaviour of a people, and to this effect, this film raises enough questions that need to be given a good thought."
Atul Kulkarni
Atul Kulkarni
And finally, Atul Kulkarni, one of the most brilliant actors of our times, and someone who also played Laxman Pandey in the film: "The film is a brilliant effort, and is reputed to be a super duper hit, and has been loved by the audiences. In my opinion, no form of art, be it books, theatre or cinema, has in it the power to change a society, nor is it the duty of these art forms to do so. All these things only have the power in them to stimulate our thinking processes. For society to change, something much more is required. But what I have seen is that there is certain unrest in the minds of the youth. The mask of complacency that they are wearing is just that - a mask, behind which their minds are active and turbulent. Films like Rang De can only provide a jerk to the minds of the youth."

There were many who had not yet seen the film, when we spoke to them. Here's what they had to say:

Kunal Ganjawala: "I haven't seen the film yet, but as far as patriotism goes, I think it depends on the content and aim of each film, and one cannot categorise them generally."

Neha Dhupia: "Haven't seen it, by am dying to see it."

Vidya Balan: "Haven't seen the film. So I can respond only after I see it."

Tara Sharma: "I haven't seen the film as I was out of town, but am planning to do so very soon."

Partap Sharma, playwright and narrator: "I haven't seen the film yet, but in my opinion, a film that depicts the truth, whether it is palatable or otherwise, is patriotic. The day of my country is always right are over. If a country's policies are wrong, then it is upto the individual to correct them. That is patriotism. And the real meaning of patriotism is 'Truth above all'.

If a film can bring about these feelings, then definitely it has succeeded.

NBA ALL-STAR Senior Member
NBA ALL-STAR
NBA ALL-STAR

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 3:34pm | IP Logged
THANKS FOR THE INFO!
NBA ALL-STAR Senior Member
NBA ALL-STAR
NBA ALL-STAR

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 3:34pm | IP Logged
THANKS FOR THE INFO!
meera_patel IF-Dazzler
meera_patel
meera_patel

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 5:29pm | IP Logged
thanks for sharing...and it was a really good movie Big smile
.Prometheus. Channel Moderator
.Prometheus.
.Prometheus.

Posted: 04 June 2006 at 3:12am | IP Logged
so many people ar asying this is a great film i still aint watched it yet though Ouch mite weatch it this week and see wot the hype is about
ellemenopee IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 04 June 2006 at 4:07am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top