India-Forums

Indian Idol 6
Indian Idol 6

Performances, Amey - My observation

realmusic Senior Member
realmusic
realmusic

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged
I am a casual observer of II2. I used to follow that other reality music show, but since it ended, I have started tuning to II2. The thing I like about II2 is it does not show voting breakdowns, which had fomented a lot of negative feelings on that other show. I don't want to comment on voting due to biases of the many forms  (regional, cuteness factor, etc.), even though they may really affect the vote bank.

It looks like a lot is being said about Amey's elimination, and a ton of conspiracy theories are being thrown around. I'd like to take those with a pinch of salt. If you've ever heard of the Occam's Razor theory - it says that the simplest reason is usually the truth.

I tend to think that the public is not as dumb as most people believe. Most of them do vote with their ears. I feel that in this forum there has been a serious lack of critical analysis of the singing aspect of this show. Could Amey have been eliminated due to poor singing?

Granted Anuj and Sandeep have not shown consistent quality of singing, but in the Holi show, I beg to say that they performed better than Amey. So here are a few of my criticisms of the contestants from that show with particular emphasis on Amey's weakness that may have contributed to the lack of appreciation from the voters.

Amey: Song Selection. Amey has seriously suffered from poor song selections in the last few shows. His strength does not lie in the songs he has sung. He is best in low-mid pitch songs. His voice gets frayed at the high pitches. In the Satrangi song, when he tried to deliver the higher pitched "is baar..." it came out as a squeal. It was similar to the "ding, ding, ding" from his Rang de basanti song. He should have sung that in pseudo-falsetto like Daler did. He displays a certain nervous jitter in his voice. Perhaps he is still dealing with stage-nervousness. He does not have the unique voice quality that some of the other contestants seem to possess. Also, he had poor breath-control in that episode. But he has generally been very good on sur.

Karunya: His song selections have been good, and seem to illustrate his strengths. He has a very smooth, jitterless voice. He tends to get a little high-pitched in delivery, which may narrow his roles in playback singing. He is excellent with sur, but he missed it slightly in the Ramta Jogi performance. His Holi song was delivered better. With his classically trained background, there aren't many songs he cannot sing.

Anuj: He seems to be getting the brunt of wrath here. The Holi song was a bad selection. But his performance on Chaiyya Chaiyya was very good, and perhaps the best delivered of the whole episode. Most impressive was his excellent breath control. He was very good on sur in that song. He has not been consistent with sur in the previous episodes. Also, he does not seem capable of singing a wide range of songs.

Sandeep: He nailed the song selections in the Holi episode. Even though they had repetitive lines, he sung them well and in sur. He is the poorest among the contestants in maintaining sur. He has a good voice quality, and has a nice baritone voice. Obviously he has more than a touch of Udit. He seems the most fragile of the contestants to singing out of his comfort zone. But having set a low standard in previous episodes, he seems to be getting rave reviews for having finally sung at a decent level.

Edited by realmusic - 17 March 2006 at 10:31am

Sunitha.V Senior Member
Sunitha.V
Sunitha.V

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged

Originally posted by realmusic

I am a casual observer of II2. I used to follow that other reality music show, but since it ended, I have started tuning to II2. The thing I like about II2 is it does not show voting breakdowns, which had fomented a lot of negative feelings on that other show. I don't want to comment on voting due to biases of the many forms  (regional, cuteness factor, etc.), even though they may really affect the vote bank.

It looks like a lot is being said about Amey's elimination, and a ton of conspiracy theories are being thrown around. I'd like to take those with a pinch of salt. If you've ever heard of the Occam's Razor theory - it says that the simplest reason is usually the truth.

I tend to think that the public is not as dumb as most people believe. Most of them do vote with their ears. I feel that in this forum there has been a serious lack of critical analysis of the singing aspect of this show. Could Amey have been eliminated due to poor singing?

Granted Anuj and Sandeep have not shown consistent quality of singing, but in the Holi show, I beg to say that they performed better than Amey. So here are a few of my criticisms of the contestants from that show with particular emphasis on Amey's weakness that may have contributed to the lack of appreciation from the voters.

Amey: Song Selection. Amey has seriously suffered from poor song selections in the last few shows. His strength does not lie in the songs he has sung. He is best in low-mid pitch songs. His voice gets frayed at the high pitches. In the Satrangi song, when he tried to deliver the higher pitched "is baar..." it came out as a squeal. It was similar to the "ding, ding, ding" from his Rang de basanti song. He should have sung that in pseudo-falsetto like Daler did. He displays a certain nervous jitter in his voice. Perhaps he is still dealing with stage-nervousness. He does not have the unique voice quality that some of the other contestants seem to possess. Also, he had poor breath-control in that episode. But he has generally been very good on sur.

Karunya: His song selections have been good, and seem to illustrate his strengths. He has a very smooth, jitterless voice. He tends to get a little high-pitched in delivery, which may narrow his roles in playback singing. He is excellent with sur, but he missed it slightly in the Ramta Jogi performance. His Holi song was delivered better. With his classically trained background, there aren't many songs he cannot sing.

Anuj: He seems to be getting the brunt of wrath here. The Holi song was a bad selection. But his performance on Chaiyya Chaiyya was very good, and perhaps the best delivered of the whole episode. Most impressive was his excellent breath control. He was very good on sur in that song. He has not been consistent with sur in the previous episodes. Also, he does not seem capable of singing a wide range of songs.

Sandeep: He nailed the song selections in the Holi episode. Even though they had repetitive lines, he sung them well and in sur. He is the poorest among the contestants in maintaining sur. He has a good voice quality, and has a nice baritone voice. Obviously he has more than a touch of Udit. He seems the most fragile of the contestants to singing out of his comfort zone. But having set a low standard in previous episodes, he seems to be getting rave reviews for having finally sung at a decent level.

Clap Good post.

I agree with you on the song selection bit. It is true that Amey had set some high standards in earlier episodes and everyone expected a lot from him. I feel he did 'Laaga Chunri mein daag' exceptionally well and that quality was missing in the last two episodes. Karunya's selected songs that showed off his strengths and he delivered them well.

But having said that, I still can't relate that directly to Amey getting voted out 'cause he may not have been at his best in the last two galas, but he still did better than Anuj and Sandeep. Was Sandeep better than Amey in the last episode? His 'Rut aa gayi re' was good, but I felt overal, Amey's performance was better.

gamezone Senior Member
gamezone
gamezone

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 11:09am | IP Logged
Amey's performance in last Gala was superb.
You tell me where is the mistake.His performances were equal to Karunya's in last Gala.
SARAJAN Groupbie
SARAJAN
SARAJAN

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged
u might be right but amey was much much better than sandeep n anuj he performed better than them n sang better also i still think he didn't deserve to be voted out!!!!!
Shweta06 Goldie
Shweta06
Shweta06

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 11:45am | IP Logged
guyz Karu was last to sing so he can make impact on audience as after that they start voting so it is easy to forget 1st players performance :( about songs all 3 judges gave thumbs up to Amey - don't forget that
realmusic Senior Member
realmusic
realmusic

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged
Please read my post again. I gave you an example there.

Originally posted by gamezone

Amey's performance in last Gala was superb.
You tell me where is the mistake.His performances were equal to Karunya's in last Gala.
ii2_ki_deewani Senior Member
ii2_ki_deewani
ii2_ki_deewani

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by xMrs. Datex

can anyone summarise that esssay i cnt read it all lol! Embarrassed LOL

1. Anuj and Sandeep BETTER THAN AMEY in the last gala....(REALLY?? I dont think so, no offence realmusic)

2. AMey's song selected BAD..Karunya's very good.

3. ANUJ'S CHAIYYA CHAIYYA was the BEST performance i last gala (hmmmmmm..i agree he was good..but nowhere close to the BEST)

i hope i covered the imp points..now Mrs. Daatex u better thank me for doing so much typin just to save u from reading the looong post...LOL

realmusic Senior Member
realmusic
realmusic

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged
Read it again and again, and it'll become clear Smile

To summarize Amey's elimination, I am listing various factors that may have affected his chances:

Song - Mismatch between song selection and voice.
Voice - Jitter, high pitch breakdown, breath control.
Presentation - Lacking an air of confidence.

The presentation part is only perception. I think he is a person of great character.

Originally posted by xMrs. Datex

can anyone summarise that esssay i cnt read it all lol! Embarrassed LOL

Go to top