Married with kids - stay or leave? - Page 2

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by P1nk

I would let my husband take the children and i carry on with my job and lead a hassle free life, mwhahaha
Not easy for a mother to leave her child.
God will make you love the child with all your heart and soul.😆
When parents separate, the child's heart-broken but there isn't a point, not one in putting together things that have already fallen apart. At some point, the child is gonna figure out their parents are having a horrible time sticking together, that might be the greater damage of the two. It comes down to the level at which you go and try to make your decisions comprehensive for your child. It is not fair to keep the parents' predicament from the child. Besides, there is not anything two people with undeniable friction can do for their child without making things worse for them. It only makes sense that the child is introduced to the idea of having to live with one of their parents because even if they're not told, some day it's imperative they should live the reality. So, I think they are better off preparing themselves firsthand for whatever happens post a divorce. 

Many of my friends have divorced parents, so this point of view of mine if from what i saw and believe.

If like you said the couple have done everything to salvage their relationship and theres honest to god no hope, then they should seperate because more often than not couple who stay together for their kids end up harming their childrens pyscologicaly and sometimes physically. Childrens don't need to see their parents yelling at eachother, pulling eachother hair out, being unfaithful to one another, because parents are what mold the childrens into the adults they become.

So for the childrens sake, yes divorce away by all means because yes the child will be confused seeing their mother and father with different partners, yes they probably won't like moving from one place to another and maybe their emotions will be unstable for a while, but growing up if they see their parents happy with their partners, if their parents still give them affection and love and to add up the childs living in a happy environment, then the child will have a happy life, maybe not a perfect life, but a content life.

There is a breaking point for everyone, and once you reach that point it's better to let go rather than hang on to something which is an obligation rather than something of freewill. Once you deny yourself the right of being happy and being free, you feel trapped. Marriages break for many reasons...disagreement, infidelity, lack of trust and maybe some people even fall out of love. The dynamics of a relationship are built up by love, trust, respect, devotion and loyalty. Sometimes one blurs the line between devotion/loyalty and obligation.

Children can keep and a family together, or break it apart. However when a child is involved it's so much harder just letting go and walking away...You feel a sense of responsibility towards the child and your maternal/paternal love takes over. It's a common misconception children do not what's happening in the house, that they can't feel the tension or the bad vibes. Maybe ignorance truly is bliss, but when you're in a house with two people that are hanging desperately onto a very fragile piece of string and there is constant battel between the two, it's far too hard to achieve ignorance.

The pessimism and negativity can affect the child in a bad way, often leading to depression stress or social awkwardness. It makes the child much negative towards her or his surroundings, and can make them fear relationships or commitment.

Sometimes letting go is the best for everyone and many children have gotten over divorces and have lived life normally. The key is to carry on talking to the child, and not ignoring him or her...making sure that whatever decisions you take your child feels happy about it.

Edited by .-Moksha-. - 12 years ago
Originally posted by SammyBabe

In my opinion, I feel that if a woman is not happy in her relationship then she should leave.
A bad marriage affects not only the husband-wife but children too. If the husband-wife are happier alone then this will be noticeable to the children & they will be happier too. =)

I agree I think the onus is on a woman .. If she is struggling to remain happy and or is discontent and has sought all avenues such as outside counseling, family advice and nothing has improved then she should separate and retain the children. I would then expect the father of the children to support his children and also the mother whilst she is taking care of the child/ren , albeit ideal thinking. However western courts do ensure rights such as the above are taken care of. At the end of the day man/woman not happy .. Leave :)
It is best if a kid gets to grow with own parents in a happy home. A couple shoud give whatever it takes to make it work.  However if the couple have tried everything to stay together and it still is not working then it is best to separate than to stay in a suffocating relation. Kids will be affected but they would be affected even if the parents stay together just for the sake of it. They will quickly find out there is something wrong with the parents and that will hurt them more psycologically. If the parents quit the non working relationship, it is harsh on the kids first, but as they grow they will understand. Either way the kids are hurt, but if the parents are happy being separate rather than be unhappy staying together then it is beneficial for the kids in longer run.
my kiddo has a classmate who lives with his mom and her boyfriend and visits his dad and his girlfriend during weekends. He has issues no doubt, but he is outspoken healthy happy and accomplished anyways. where as my friend who grew up in a hostile environment with constantly bickering parents has issues even today to deal socially and emotionally.   and there are cases which are vice-versa. 

Originally posted by hindu4lyf

What are your views on a married couple who feel like their marriage is not working out and want to get divorced or stay separately even when there is a child involved? Let's assume that the couple have done all that they can to make their marriage work but come to the conclusion that their marriage simply isn't working. Should the couple go ahead and get a divorce or should they stay together for the sake of their child? Should that child be expected to travel from one house to another every few days and possibly soon be greeted by their father's new wife/girlfriend or their mother's new husband/boyfriend? Would that not be confusing for the child or should the child just face up to the realities of this harsh world and get in to the habit of living such a life?

Of course reality isn't always quite like this and usually there are many other issues like do both parents get custody of the child? What was the reason for the divorce? Was one partner cheating on the other? etc but what according to you would be the 'right' thing to do and what would you do if placed in such a situation? Stay unhappy in a relationship that isn't working and put a smile on for your child or do what you have to do and let your child face the consequences of your actions?

If it simply isn't working, it is better to separate...but this has to be a last resort. There are kids involved...it is bad for them to be staying with parents who fight all the time. It is better to stay with one parent and meet the other...something like taking turns...these things have to be worked out.

Both parents should at least try to be friends with each other for the sake of the kids and not badmouth the other parent in his/her absence. The kids will eventually get used to a single parent home.

well it all depends on the reason of seperating. but if it not something seriouse ( that would cause hram to the wife or child) , they should stay toeghter, b/c in their marriage it not just them but thier child is alos involved. they dont have to act all love dovey infron of thier childern, but act normal . b/c that child will grow up with stress and if he/she isnt getting attention form parents he/she will get it from outside ie bad frineds or worse drugs. which lead to crimes and you can forget about a bright futer.

Stay if you've kids even if anyone has to compromise...rift between parents certainly affect children the most...why spoil kids' lives if a solution is available!
Leave if you don't have kids...No point living in an unhappy marriage just for the sake of it ! .
Well relationship is not just based on the kids, and not to mention the kids will grow up and leave their parents one day. I guess try to make it work for your kids, but it shouldn't be the main reason why you want to make it work. The main reason should be for yourself and your partner and then only for the kids and any other reasons that come along with it. I guess the kids should also understand were their parents to take the worse possible scenario to take the steps of divorce and can no longer live together. I mean nobody wants a divorce and a divorce is not only complicated but from what I heard and see is also very tiring. When a person in their right mind enter marriage they also want their marriage to last.. I guess then divorce is the last resort when all else fail.