India-Forums

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

A R Rahman : Non-Hindi works (Page 8)

*Jaya* IF-Sizzlerz
*Jaya*
*Jaya*

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:12pm | IP Logged
Great thread.. thanx for all the info vidyah'ji.. for us, who have only heard ARR in hindi music, this is very enriching Clap Clap Clap

greatmaratha IF-Sizzlerz
greatmaratha
greatmaratha

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:18pm | IP Logged
Vidyaa, thanks for sharing the wealth of information. Unfortunately, I dont watch too many of the tamil movies nor follow the songs, as some of them are pure Chennai Tamil, which I dont follow fully. But songs from Roja, Bombay, the Mani Ratnam Movies, Alaipayuthe, Kandukonden etc. are superb. The lyrics and the music is fantastic too.
fairdog Senior Member
fairdog
fairdog

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:21pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by s.priya

I like Illayaraja too. Very classical and nice.

Agree.....my all time favourite of ilayaraja is 'sirimalle poova'/'Senthura poove'.....S.Janki was at her best....oh my god that was a super super hit....those days!!!

Sorry guys, got a bit side-tracked...could not resist when Priya mentioned about Ilayaraja...

Please continue on ARR

Edited by fairdog - 16 March 2006 at 11:24pm
fairdog Senior Member
fairdog
fairdog

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mishtimoni

Anolda,

About A R Rehman, I have a different observation to make.. first of all let me acknowledge that he is THE MOST BRILLIANT music director of today..and the best since RD Burman..but whenever I listen to his music, I have a strange feeling.. I feel, the body of his music is Indian Classical, but the soul is of Western Classical Chember Music (mainly symphony orchestra)..at its heart, it has western classical harmonic structure, point-counterpoint movements..this is the only reason he is not as close to my heart as SD Burman, OP Nayyar,Naushad or RDB (Panchamda's music has Indian Classical at its core, no matter how wetsern the body is).. but this also makes ARR an unique genius in our musical arena..

His only album where I didn't feel that I was listening to Western Chember Music in Indian guise was Lagaan.. it's my most favourite album of Rehman.. 

Third point, he is the only music director ever in Hindi cinema who actually creates a proper movie soundtrack with background scores and situational music rather than a stnad alone musical album.. his work in Yuva and RDB was awesome from that aspect..

Mishti,

very nice to hear a new perspective on ARR....good to know...keep it going...

Edited by fairdog - 16 March 2006 at 11:23pm
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:28pm | IP Logged
Fairdog - are you from Hong Kong?
Mishtimoni Groupbie
Mishtimoni
Mishtimoni

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:29pm | IP Logged

Hey Anolda,

You completely misunderstood meOuch!! I of all the people would never divide good music in terms of Eastern/Western whatsoever..I was not criticising it in any way.. I did say that he is kind of an unique genius in the way he has blended western chember music with our classical music..I am a huge fan of western classical music..I grew up worshipping Bach and Mozart..Mozart is my mobile ringtoneEmbarrassed..and I am no expert in music either..but I was just saying that my soul belongs to Indian classical music .. so I appreciate and admire ARR, but I love SDB and RDB..

Again, good music is universal .. you are talking to a Beatlemaniac here, come on Anolda!!

arun_8687 Goldie
arun_8687
arun_8687

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by s.priya

Vidyaa, thanks for sharing the wealth of information. Unfortunately, I dont watch too many of the tamil movies nor follow the songs, as some of them are pure Chennai Tamil, which I dont follow fully. But songs from Roja, Bombay, the Mani Ratnam Movies, Alaipayuthe, Kandukonden etc. are superb. The lyrics and the music is fantastic too.

Priya Ji,Im a tamilan..bought up in Hyd'bad.So,Even I find it tough to understand it sometimes.Its funny,My dad
watches Sun News and Damn!I don get a piece of it.

Chennai tamil is much so simple and ezy LOL
greatmaratha IF-Sizzlerz
greatmaratha
greatmaratha

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:41pm | IP Logged
Arun, my mom drives us crazy with the Sun TV, but my Dad gets lucky. Fortunately, we follow more Malayalam than Tamil, so Asianet rules at home LOL

I dont know if the show Pepsi Ungal Choice still comes on television, but when it did, we used to roll on the floor or scratch out heads out trying to figure out what on earth Uma was speaking Embarrassed

Go to top