teenindia_usa
teenindia_usa

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by soulsoup

Originally posted by adwarakanath

LOL

Do we have an....ahem.....'better' pic?WinkWinkWink

Define 'better'.  Wink

Abhi - tu aab mujhe ban karne ki (yea mera band bajane ki) chakkar me hei keya?

lol

fairdog Senior Member
fairdog
fairdog

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:07pm | IP Logged
soulsoup, thanks for the pointer on mandarin movie...

I just found this on ARR's biography...sharing here....

Put simply, A R Rahman is a phenomenon. Having successfully staked his claim as India's greatest ambassador in the world of music, Rahman has now sold well in excess of 100 million albums worldwide. To put that in perspective, that's as many albums as Madonna and Britney Spears put together and it places him firmly in Michael Jackson territory, an artist, incidentally, that Rahman has composed and performed with: Jackson was recently photographed wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with a picture of Rahman and the message "Salute To You". Tandemically, glancing at the amount of prizes his extraordinary talent has garnered you'd be forgiven for thinking his house was entirely made up of shelves just to showcase them: in 1992 at the age of just 24 and for the film 'Roja he received the 'National Award for Best Music Direction' - an award he then duplicated five years later for Minaret Kanavu ; in years '92, '93 & '94 he was awarded the Stele Purashkar Award by the Governor of Tamil Nadu; in '92, 93, '94 and '95 he received the State Award; and for the year 1992 and every year since up until the present day he has been awarded the Filmfare Award. Others such as the Cinema Express Award, the Nagi Reddy Award, the Rajiv Gandhi Award and the Screen Award (for the albums 'Vande Mataram and 'Taal) followed and, at the turn of the century, to crown and acknowledge his unique contribution to Indian culture, Rahman was awarded the highest civilian honour of Padma Shree by the President of India. And now, as I write this, AR Rahman has won Best Music for the film Lagaan at the 47th Annual Manikchand Filmfare Awards in Bombay, whilst the film itself has been shortlisted for an Oscar this year in the Best Foreign Language Film category.

Edited by fairdog - 16 March 2006 at 8:18pm
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by s.priya

Tamil - Present here

No wonder! Not only I have many Tamil friends - my first job was in Chennai too. I have deep respect for Tamil cultures (song / dance / 'gajra' - ooooof Wink).

fairdog Senior Member
fairdog
fairdog

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:09pm | IP Logged

I am little surprised - no Tamil/Telegu/Malaylam members here???? Confused

Arre bhai sref ek bong Tamil/Telegu/Malaylam songs leke baat karta rahe - ye acchi baat hai keya?? Ouch

soulsoup.....

I am here...a Telugu..madhavi is a Telugu....S.Priya a tamil...all of us have been replying right???

...there are a number of ARR's Telugu fans and ARR's Tamil 'visiris' in the forum.....just wait for few more minutes and they will all come out with their ARR fan stories...

Wink

(note it is Telugu not Telegu)

Edited by fairdog - 16 March 2006 at 8:14pm
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:12pm | IP Logged

A. R. RahmanFrom Wikipedia

Allah Rakha Rahman (born on January 6, 1967 as A.S. Dileep Kumar in Chennai, India) is a popular Indian film music composer. He is a native Tamilian. He made his debut in 1992 with Mani Ratnam's Tamil movie, Roja (Rose), which was subsequently dubbed into many languages. Ram Gopal Verma's Rangeela (Colorful) (1995) was the first Hindi movie to have Rahman as the music director. He is a recipient of the Padma Shri.

Early years

Rahman is the only son of R. K. Sekhar, who was an arranger and conductor for Malayalam films. His father died when Rahman was nine years old, and his family used to rent out musical equipment to make ends meet, something they found very difficult. During those hard times, a Sufi (Muslim) saint helped them spiritually. This led him to convert to Islam.

At the age of 11, Rahman joined the troupe of Indian composer Ilayaraja as a keyboardist. He later played on the orchestra of M.S. Vishwanathan and Ramesh Naidu, and accompanied Zakir Hussain and Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan on world tours. The experience allowed him to obtain a scholarship to the Trinity College at Oxford University, where he received a degree in Western classical music.

Music career

In 1991, Rahman began his own studio (attached to his house), called the Panchathan Record Inn. He initially composed music for use in advertisements, the title music on popular Indian Television channels and music in documentaries, among other projects. Rahman was, at first, hesitant about composing music for the Indian film industry primarily because most film makers at the time used songs as "fillers" - a means by which the audience was given a break from the movie's plot. In 1991 he was approached by film director Mani Ratnam, who offered Rahman the job as composer of music for his upcoming film Roja, at a price of Rs. 25,000. Rahman accepted, and the movie's superhit debut made him a household name in Tamil Nadu virtually overnight and led Rahman to receive the Rajat Kamal award for best music director at the Indian National Film Awards, the first time ever by a debutant. Rahman has since then gone on to win the award 3 more times (for Minsaara Kanavu (Electric Dreams, Tamil) in 1997, Lagaan (Tax, Hindi) in 2002 and Kannathil Muthamittal (A Peck on the Cheek, Tamil) in 2003), the most ever by any composer.

A.R. Rahman combined the usage of technology and music. He has been successful in creating his own style of composition by a symbiosis of the best elements of technology and Indian classical instruments. However some critics allege that he makes excessive usage of technology in his music.

When Rahman arrived onto the Indian music scene with his first film Roja, the music industry in India was going through a crisis with the retirement of older music composers and the lack of innovation in Indian film music. Roja was a massive hit, and Rahman followed it up with a number of other extremely popular films, including Bombay, Rangeela, Dil Se and Taal . The huge sales of these albums prompted movie producers to take film music more seriously.

Another point worth noting is that while Ilayaraaja brought western music in Indian Instruments, A.R.Rahman pioneered the art of composing Indian classical Carnatic and Hindustani music and using western Instruments to play those tunes.

Rahman's work is also unique in the fact that his collaborations with a few movie directors have always resulted in hugely successful albums. In particular, he has worked with Mani Ratnam on eight movies (until 2004) (see list of movies by Mani Ratnam featuring A R Rahman), all of which have been musical superhits. Also notable is his collaboration with the director S. Shankar (Gentleman, Kadhalan, Indian, Jeans, Mudhalvan, Nayak and Boys).

Lord Lloyd-Webber with A.R. Rahman
Lord Lloyd-Webber with A.R. Rahman

He made an album Vande Mataram (1996) on India's national song. Recently, he also came up with an album called Jana gana mana, a huge conglomeration of performances by all the leading exponents/artists of Indian classical music.

His latest work includes Mani Ratnams's Yuva, Meenaxi: Tale of 3 Cities, Bose - The Forgotten Hero, Swades, Mangal Pandey - The Rising and Rang De Basanti. He is currently working on Mani Ratnam's next venture Guru, and on one of Shyam Benegal's most expensive ventures, undisclosed so far, which is set for release in the spring of 2006.

International accolades

Andrew Lloyd Webber, a well known composer of musicals, was impressed with Rahman's unique style and therefore hired him to compose his maiden stage production Bombay Dreams (2002). This play was well received in England and opened him up to new vistas in Hollywood. Currently (as of May 2004) Rahman, along with the Finnish folk music band Vrttin, is composing for The Lord of the Rings musical, set to open in Toronto on March 23, 2006.

Rahman received more international attention with this article in the TIME magazine. Rahman's first movie album "Roja" was listed in TIME magazine's TOP 10 Movie Soundtracks of all time; source. According to BBC Rahman is reported to have sold 100 million records world-wide.

In 2000, Rahman's annual income was estimated to be around $4 million from worldwide endorsements and royalties dating back to Roja (1992). According to Rediff.com, rights for his Tamil album Kandukondain Kandukondain (2000) were sold for an astonishing record sum of Rs. 22 million! This record still remains unbeaten six years hence.

In addition to influencing western audiences, Rahman also impressed eastern audiences with his music so much that he was tapped by Chinese director He Ping to provide music for the Chinese film Warriors of Heaven and Earth in 2003 IMDB. The music of this film was very much appreciated in Asia and in India.

Awards and nominations

A.R. Rahman has won the following awards:

• 9 South Indian Filmfare Awards
  • 6 Times Tamil Nadu State Film Awards

A.R Rahman has been nominated for the following awards:

Note: "Year" indicates the year the earliest version of any multi-language movie was released. Movies with the year next to the title dictates that the film was either dubbed or released later than the original version of the movie.

• He has contributed one song to Fiza (1999, Hindi).
  • The soundtracks of the films Roja (1992) and Gentleman (1993), were also released as instrumental versions.

The following films had soundtracks reused from previous albums:

• Vishwa Vidhaata (1997, Hindi) from Pudhiya Mugam (1993, Tamil)
  • Jodi (1999, Tamil) from Doli Saja Ke Rakhna (1999, Hindi), with 3 new songs added
  • Love You Hamesha (2001, Hindi) from May Madham (1994, Tamil)
  • Star (2001, Tamil) from Thakshak (1999, Hindi - 3 songs) and 1947/Earth (1998, Hindi - 1 song), with 1 new song added
  • Thakshak (1999, Hindi) from En Swaasa Kaatre (1999, Tamil) 1 song (Jumbalaka), with changes in vocals and instrumentation
  • Pukar (1999, Hindi) from En Swaasa Kaatre (1999, Tamil) 1 song ('Kay Sera Sera' from 'Nayagara'), with changes in vocals and instrumentation
  • Song "Dekho Na" from movie Swades (2004, Hindi) reused from the song "Baba Kichchu Tha" from movie Baba (2002, Tamil) with different vocals and instrumentation

The soundtrack of Nicolas Cage's Lord Of War (2005), features the instrumental piece "Bombay Theme" from the Tamil film Bombay

Non-film

• Return of the Thief of Baghdad (Yet to be released) (2003)
  • Deen Isai Maalai (1989) as AS Dilip Kumar
  • Set Me Free (1991)
  • Vande Mataram (1997)
  • Jana Gana Mana (2000)
  • Bombay Dreams (2002) (Musical)
  • Ignited Minds (2003) (Unreleased but performed in live concert)
  • Raga's Dance (2004) (for Vanessa Mae's album called Choreography)

See also

External links

Edited by soulsoup - 16 March 2006 at 8:32pm
fairdog Senior Member
fairdog
fairdog

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged
wow..soulsoup....this is wonderful...
tks...

soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by fairdog

I am little surprised - no Tamil/Telegu/Malaylam members here???? Confused

Arre bhai sref ek bong Tamil/Telegu/Malaylam songs leke baat karta rahe - ye acchi baat hai keya?? Ouch

soulsoup.....

I am here...a Telugu..madhavi is a Telugu....S.Priya a tamil...all of us have been replying right???

...there are a number of ARR's Telugu fans and ARR's Tamil 'visiris' in the forum.....just wait for few more minutes and they will all come out with their ARR fan stories...

Wink

(note it is Telugu not Telegu)

Cool - I'll be waiting!
vidyaah Groupbie
vidyaah
vidyaah

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:26pm | IP Logged
Hello....
My fav topic..cldnt stop but chip in!

What i like personally abt ARR is that he is an excellent background scorer, he composes music, not only songs.

Some of his besttttt works have been in tamil. He started out as dilip..thts his original name and the buzz is that a hit background score from Illayaraja from the mve punnagai mannan has been done by ARR.

Now, for his tamil songs. I thk we dont have much tamilians ard here..So i havent noticed any of his really good songs.

Iam going to seperate and talk abt ARR before 2000 and after 2000...I dont want to miss some of his real good works. If this post gets really long, do send me a pm and i wl stop it.

Thiruda Thiruda is one of his earlier movies..its come out in hindi as chor chor..Theres this song in the mve..

Chandralekha.- Koncham Nilavu. ONE OF THE BEST SONGS I HAVE HEARD TILL DATE! The use of beats is amazing. you dont see much ragas flowing thru, but the music transports you. Now Thats Rock...not what himmy gives.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.5473/music _director.1357/

Too much is said abt Roja..So i let it pass. But i do love all the songs in Roja...Esp Yeh Hassen Vadhiyan. Thats a pure raga based song...There are no raag mixups too...Any guesses on the raag?

There is this another tamil mve called DUET. Movie wasnt great, but didnt ARR score? It was beautiful. I have never heard Sax used in a carnatic base tune before! Iam sure Abhi and Sinha saab wld love this.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4345/music _director.1357/

Listen to Sax theme Sad. I personally like Mettu podu, another song in the mve. Mettu podu is based on Ragam Anandha bhairavi. Anandha Bhairavi creates Joy in the hearts of people whatever mood u r in. This songs does it to me always.

Then there was En Swasa katre. I thk some songs were copied in hindi by rehman himself.But Theendai song wasnt copied and i like it the best. You should listen to SPB dancing over high pitches like a breeze.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4390/music _director.1357/

Song - Theendai

Indira - I thk the movie came in hindi too. Am not sure.
Theres this song in Hameer Kalyani( you can hear kedar too sometimes). Its a beautiful composition sung more beautifully by harini.
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4477/music _director.1357/

The song is Nila Kaikirathu - harini.

Just wanted to add this in between. For all those who are looking for ragas in songs..Please dont get stuck with the swarams in the ragams and compare ragams based on swarams. Ragams have swaram and swaroopam( dont know the hindustani equivalent...sorry) Shankarabharanam can be sung without Madhyamam and still sound like Shankarabharanam and not Kalyani..even though the MA is missing.

Iruvar - Listen to the song Narumugaiye and we can remember the good old days. Its such a beautiful song and am sure even non-carnatic lovers wld love this song.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4493/music _director.1357/

The song is Narumugaiye.

Mudhalvan - This is the tamil mve from which Nayak was remade. Now...Theres this amazing song in Rethigowlam which was not heard in hindi- sad for hindi listeners.

This is the song- Rethigowlai follows the pattern of mayamalawa gowlam.. I love rethigowlai so much..so this info..

Reethigowlai is the janyam of Karaharapriya (22nd melam). It is a vakra ragam and hence with a convoluted arohanam and avarohanam. Sa Ga2 Ri2 Ga2 Ma1 Ni2 Da2 Ma1 Ni2 Ni2 Sa; Sa Ni2 Da2 Ma1 Ga2 Ma1 Pa Ma1 Ga2 Ri2 Sa. Its raga lakshanam is so unique that it gets imprinted in our mind easily. Beginners in carnatic music identify Reethigowlai rather facilely and this gives great encouragement to venture into learning other ragas. In this song ARR presents the ragalakshanam excellently in a very concise 4 minute form.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4784/music _director.1357/

The song is Azhagana rakshashiye ( Means Oh Beautiful Rakshashi)

Ok..I can go on non stop...but i dont want to test other's patience here. Do let me know if you want to hear more. If not PM me regarding any other song and we can talk.

If not...i wl continue post 2000 songs in the next post. :)

Go to top