Is fake sympathy right? (Page 4)

Majority IF-Dazzler
Majority
Majority

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 2:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mermaid_QT

Originally posted by Jatayu

All sympathy is fake.
The only person we really care about is our own self. Hence, the expression of any sort of sympathy for anyone else is alwaya a total and undiluted fake.
I truly disagree. It is but natural to sympathize ... if you find a lost toddler lying in a scorching desert by himself crying for help, will you leave him to wander and die??

Let us expand on the hypothetical situation that you have just presented ...

The following people are lying in the intense heat of the desert, desparately thirsty and needing urgent help
1. You Uncle and Aunt
2. Your parents
3. Your two children

In each of the scenarios, there are two people.

But you have the resources to help only ONE, including expressing sympathy.

What will you do?

mermaid_QT IF-Sizzlerz
mermaid_QT
mermaid_QT

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 2:47am | IP Logged
Those Ouch are not sympathy-worthy but real tormenting scenarios.

1) uncle and aunt - i will not die for these two, I accept. I will try to, just try to make an informed decision, based on who has the chances of surviving better / their responsibilities remaining towards their family (children / older parents etc). i will sympathize with all of them though.

2) parents- Here, I would love to be selfish and die along, unless i have a strong faith that i am definitely saving the remaining one. i do see your point though. because with this decision, i would have showed no sympathy to my husband who would be forced to lead a sad life after me. (i hope this is not a wishful thinking , for all i know he gets bz building his TM and moves on to qter pasteurs   LOL )

3) i have no children. bt i can see how i cannot let any one of them die.   i will die along.

My point is that if a stranger comes along and feels sympathy, all can be saved and that won't be a miracle.  

Edited by mermaid_QT - 16 December 2006 at 2:47am
Majority IF-Dazzler
Majority
Majority

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 3:08am | IP Logged

Those Ouch are not sympathy-worthy but real tormenting scenarios ... My point is that if a stranger comes along and feels sympathy ...

A stranger can only pretend to be sympathetic ... so he (or she) would be faking it
petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 3:21am | IP Logged
I dont know..Pretending to sympathise with you is bad because they make you think they care while they actually dont..

if somebody offers fake sympathy.. it is anyway fake..polit or not.. you dont know what they may say behind you...

Id rather have straight frward friends..
mermaid_QT IF-Sizzlerz
mermaid_QT
mermaid_QT

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 3:24am | IP Logged

Those Ouch are not sympathy-worthy but real tormenting scenarios ... My point is that if a stranger comes along and feels sympathy ...

A stranger can only pretend to be sympathetic ... so he (or she) would be faking it

why do u say that?  he can genuinely FEEL BAD.   why can't he? 
IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 3:48am | IP Logged

All sympathy is fake.

The only person we really care about is our own self. Hence, the expression of any sort of sympathy for anyone else is alwaya a total and undiluted fake.

I don't think world is such a bad place!!! I feel that there are other category of people who care about others also.Entire world is not a desert or sunny like Dubai.All the times humans need not feel deserted.Some times help and sympathy comes from unknown sources , infact sympathy showers somuch we get irritated .

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 16 December 2006 at 4:48am
IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 3:52am | IP Logged

Originally posted by sowmyaa

Smile

And THIS definitely is spam ... no faking here ... MODERATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH ...

Uncle J! Its not spamming;Sowmyaa Di wanted to bring this topic in front page for the views of good new members like US.

IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 4:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by abhijit shukla

Then again there are people for whom everyday is a crisis. I once worked with a nurse who chronically had issues with her husband. After a while I would cut her short by asking her why doesn't she just divorce him?
And lastly there are people who ask for excessive sympathy for things tht happen to everyone...'My nerve are 'shot' because my father died three years ago.' Of course most people would lose thier parents in thier lifetime. Its losing one's children that is excessively tragic. Sorry about your parent's death but it was three years ago!  Greif is OK for three-four months. Beyond that its a nuisence to be with that person.

My philosophy: God gave me a limited amount of compassion in my heart. I must use it wisely and not waste it where its not appropriate.

The level of sympathy we can afford to show to new persons or to the person whom we don't like to show sympathy depends partly on the factor "Profession".A doctor is much more realistic.It looks very funny and immature if a doctor showers sympathy on his new patients(that will be absolutely fake sympathy ).A Judge cannot shower sympathy for all the people who are facing the cases.A Teacher cannot show unncesary sympathy on his students ,if they don't study well or don't do their projects on time.

Cheers,

Mythili

Go to top