Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Is fake sympathy right? (Page 3)

IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 6:59am | IP Logged

Hi All!

Personally,I don't like the concept of Sympathy.I may sound rude but I hate showing sympathy and getting sympathy.Showing Sympathy weakens the person.So ultimately we are harming the person.But being loyal and letting them know that we are there for them is right thing,this we do normally for the persons we know.For unknown persons,I don't show sympathy because I don't feel its necessary,if that situation or person is really pathetic,I knowabout it or them and then try to help them.

Cheers,

Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 15 December 2006 at 6:59am

lighthouse IF-Dazzler
lighthouse
lighthouse

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 11:49am | IP Logged

Sympathy is good in any shape or form for the down and desolate.

When needed I had rather offer sympathy fake or real then suck upto someone pompous or make small talk.

Edited by lighthouse - 15 December 2006 at 12:04pm
sowmyaa IF-Dazzler
sowmyaa
sowmyaa

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 12:10pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lighthouse

Sympathy is good in any shape or form for the down and desolate. When needed I had rather offer sympathy fake or real then suck upto someone pompous or make small talk.

Clap totally agree.
NKSUDHIR IF-Dazzler
NKSUDHIR
NKSUDHIR

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged
I appreciate Sympathy a lot becuase if we put ourselves in Sick Person's shoes, then we realize that LONELINESS is worse than even FAKE Sympathy. We know, we cannot reduce the pain of the person; by showing little bit sympathy, at least we are not increasing his pain.
People say: By sharing sorrow or pain of someone, we reduce it to half and by sharing happiness of a person we double it up.
mermaid_QT IF-Sizzlerz
mermaid_QT
mermaid_QT

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 12:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sharila

I dont like fake sympathy, and think that if you dont mean it dont say it. Why lie to yourself and others.

I like to say it just the way it is, and if I dont like to sympathize with someone I rather keep my mouth shut or just walk away, but fake sympathy wont be given from me

Very well-said Sharila di. I completely agree.  I will walk quietly away instead of faking any emotion if I don't actually sympathize.  I would not like to be at the receiving end either.
Civility & manners are something else. 

Edited by mermaid_QT - 16 December 2006 at 12:52am
Majority IF-Dazzler
Majority
Majority

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 1:58am | IP Logged
All sympathy is fake.

The only person we really care about is our own self. Hence, the expression of any sort of sympathy for anyone else is alwaya a total and undiluted fake.
Majority IF-Dazzler
Majority
Majority

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 2:02am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sowmyaa

Smile

And THIS definitely is spam ... no faking here ... MODERATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH ...
mermaid_QT IF-Sizzlerz
mermaid_QT
mermaid_QT

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 2:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Jatayu

All sympathy is fake.

The only person we really care about is our own self. Hence, the expression of any sort of sympathy for anyone else is alwaya a total and undiluted fake.

I truly disagree.  Some people are very selfish and it may be applicable to them, but surely not all. 
For most, it is but natural to sympathize.  You are absolutely right that one may not actually do the needful for the others, as much as one may do for oneself. But how can one not feel sympathetic at all?   
Jatayuji, if you find a lost toddler lying in a scorching desert just by himself crying for help, will you leave him to wander and die?? 
I think many a times, it is extremely hard to achieve control over certain emotions.  For me, sympathy is one of those.  Not the fake one though. I don't care for some people no matter what happens to them.

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Personally,I don't like the concept of Sympathy.I may sound rude but I hate showing sympathy and getting sympathy.Showing Sympathy weakens the person.Mythili

Oh!   I don't feel bad if my friends / even stragers sympathize with me.
I think it is the PITY that makes one weak, so I don't like it, but not sympathy. 
Merely missing a train and having to wait in the rain until the next one arrives can make a stranger momentarily sympathetic for another.  In those 15 minutes, one doesn't become pity-worthy / weak, but juts feels better that the frustration is shared!
Subha di

Edited by mermaid_QT - 16 December 2006 at 2:27am

Go to top