Is there one God or many Gods ? - Page 3

Posted: 18 years ago
My question to those who say there is one god , and his name is "so and so " .

Do you belive that other beliefs / religons and Gods are not true gods ???? Do you believe those religons are not true religons ?? Do you think practising other beliefs will lead them to hell as some call other beliefs different from theirs as paegan beliefs or call the others as Infidels( non- believer )??

If you think there is one god and that God is "so and so "(the god you worship) , you are definately being too arrogant to believe this.
Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 years ago

Originally posted by euro_pakigal

well agree also der i only one god and he has diferent names thru many religions

i only worship one n dat is allah n only allah!!!!!!!

i hav 2 say i totally agree wiv u der!!!

"God" and gods
Hindus- and I as a Hindu acknowledge and worship various gods, but these are all aspects of the one supreme "God".
The gods Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma are different forms and names of the one God. Vishnu in particular has appeared on earth in various forms. Among these, Krishna and Rama are especially loved and worshipped.

Many think that Hinduism is polytheistic-which means worshipping many gods, but in fact Hindus actually believe in only one supreme God, called "Brahman" - that which is all pervading and formless - yet the life in all.

Brahman is the supreme spirit that permeates everything.

BUT: Brahman is not a being in the sense that Christians think of God as a being - Brahman is entirely impersonal, and entirely impossible to describe.

Everything in the universe is part of Brahman, (including each one of us), but Brahman is more than the sum of everything in the universe. There is only one ultimate reality, Brahman. But that ultimate reality shows itself in many forms, and some of those forms are called Gods.

This is my point of view - and i think a general consensus of Hindus across the globe, I think... 😕
Originally posted by DivyaD

"God" and gods
Hindus- and I as a Hindu acknowledge and worship various gods, but these are all aspects of the one supreme "God".
The gods Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma are different forms and names of the one God. Vishnu in particular has appeared on earth in various forms. Among these, Krishna and Rama are especially loved and worshipped.

Many think that Hinduism is polytheistic-which means worshipping many gods, but in fact Hindus actually believe in only one supreme God, called "Brahman" - that which is all pervading and formless - yet the life in all.

Brahman is the supreme spirit that permeates everything.

BUT: Brahman is not a being in the sense that Christians think of God as a being - Brahman is entirely impersonal, and entirely impossible to describe.

Everything in the universe is part of Brahman, (including each one of us), but Brahman is more than the sum of everything in the universe. There is only one ultimate reality, Brahman. But that ultimate reality shows itself in many forms, and some of those forms are called Gods.

This is my point of view - and i think a general consensus of Hindus across the globe, I think... 😕

Ya i agree with you . And thx for summing it up for people who don't understand. Let me just add to this.

An early vedic hymn( RV 5.3.1) draws together different Gods and declares that they are each the same reality in different stages or modes of manisfestation.
" At birth,Agni you are Varuna: when set alight you become Mitra :in you , son of strength,all Gods find their centre: to those who worship you become Indra "
Originally posted by marissa

i hav 2 say i totally agree wiv u der!!!

thx for dat

btw let me make it clear

muslims belive in allah becuz muslimz do so plz stop asking why we r  tought to  belive in allah(4 all da ppl dat r wondering dat)

Edited by euro_pakigal - 18 years ago
this is a personal topic its different 4 differ religions its so obvious
Euro_Pakigal and Ms.Attitude

Hindus believe in One Supreme God with different forms , while Muslims only believe in Allah . and Christians only believe in Christ , and you have Sikhs believing in "Waaheguru". No one is questioning WHY do you believe in Ram , Allah or Christ . That isn't a question at all.

Hindus don't pray to Allah or Jesus .While Muslims don't pray to Hindu gods or Christ .

But Hinduism respects and believes that Allah is a God and so is Jesus .Although we don't pray to him , just like you to don't pray to Hindu gods.But they show respect by saying yes Allah and Christ exist and are different forms of GOD.

My question i know its senstive , and i'll ask as senstively as possible . Do Muslims believe the God Hindus pray to our Gods to ? Ofcourse you don't believe and worship him .Like Hindus don't worship Allah . But what is your opinion of a Hindu God ?

1)Hindu God - Is he non - existant , paegan God ?

2) He is a Hindu God and you respect it like you respect Allah?As different religons have their own Gods.

3) Or he is the same god as Allah with a different name .

I know this is senstive , so for understanding differnt religons and their thoughts towards other reliogons , i thought i'll ask the question. Hope i don't offend any one with this question. Also i know we are mature people in this section and can handle a senstive topic like religous beliefs . As long as we speak senstively.

*Disclaimer: My knowledge of these religions is purely academic. Therefore, I would request that the followers of the following religions not be offended by any mistake I make in my assessments*

Here are some common misconceptions people have about different religions:

1) Hinduism is polytheism...It is not polytheism at all actually. However, it is not monotheism or pantheism either. Hinduism itself is divided into various systems: Qualified Monism, Absolutisitic Monism, etc.

The idea is that there is one God (ultimate reality), which is Ishvara (also called Vishnu or Shiva or Saguna Brahman) or Nirguna Brahman (if you go by Shankara's system)

Any "god" who is worshipped is equated to the Ultimate reality. The concept of Trimurti/Trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva was introduced much later by Neo-Vedantics.

2) Islam does not worship a God called "Allah". God does not have a name or a gender. the word "Allah" means "The ONE" in Arabic. It just means there is one ultimate reality.

3) Jehovah or YHWH (pronounced Yahweh) is not the name for a God in Judaism. It just is Hebrew for "I am what I am"

The story goes that when Moses asked God's name, He said the word YHWH. He never mentioned His name.

3) Jesus is not God, but he's called the "Son of God" by Christians. However, the concept of Trinity was later introduced which complicated things (God as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit)

There are a few other religions I can go into, but dont have the time now...will do so later if anyone is interested.

But, note how these so called "names" are merely descriptions of God in another language.

Eventually, this just proves there is one Ultimate reality.
Originally posted by T.

But, note how these so called "names" are merely descriptions of God in another language.

Eventually, this just proves there is one Ultimate reality.

I think most of us will agree with you with a few exceptions who may beleive there is one God and he has no other name but the name by which they call him .

They fail to realise other religons just call him with a different name.  Utlimately there is one reality .
a rose is a rose...
god is an experience all of us strive to attain and those who have done so at some point of time, are unable to put it in words. hence the religions, faiths, prophets, gurus.. and the endless debates about whose path is greater or truer. therein lies the beauty of it, maybe. and the fun - mortals fighting over immortals.