Family fundas:Smriti Irani

ronitfan IF-Stunnerz
ronitfan
ronitfan

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 10:45am | IP Logged

Family fundas
Smriti Z Irani
Tuesday, November 15, 2005  18:07 IST

Deadlines - I hate them. Does that say something about me? The fact is, that I hate being controlled. I am my own master. My sister on the other hand is discipline personified. For her everything is on time. She's so precise it's scary.

At times I wonder whether we grew up  on the same planet? It's shocking to know how different we are. I hate mathematics, she loves it. I hated dressing up (still do), she was made for it. I couldn't put two decent sentences together to hold a dialogue (still can't); she's the queen of conversation. Coming from a family, where we both received equal encouragement and attention to ensure that we blossomed into beautiful ladies, we are totally unlike.

Let me tell you why I feel so 'sisterly' today. Of late, every newspaper has a story about how grown-up individuals, who happen to not only share a roof but also genes, are knocking themselves out in a free-for-all-public spat. Even news channels have extended it into a saas bahu saga. Melodramatic break-ups of once happy joint families are becoming hot topics of discussions over chai at kitty parties.

I don't find these fights juicy or funny. I don't think personal dilemmas should become 'news items'. I can't imagine why, in a day and age where frank conversations between family members are a norm,  when the generation gap is closing, do relationships break so easily? Many journalists have asked my views on the joint family system breaking down.

To be honest, a family never breaks; people do when ego and greed, jealousy and hate creep in. I have often heard many a debate about how good it was in those 'golden years' when children valued their parents, when parents would invest only in the future of their children. In every act of sacrifice and forgiveness reflected the trust we had in our families.

Today as we grow in stature, as we manage to carve out a niche for ourselves in the world, we forget to carve out that special corner our families deserve. I am not saying that we be saccharine-sweet, I'm not saying that 50 of us live under the same roof and eat from the same chula a la a Sooraj Bharjatiya film. All I say is that we retain the same trust and respect for the people we shared our early lives with.

For every  fight that we sisters had,  my 'ma' had a simple solution - my sister and I would be locked up in the room, beating the hell out of each other till our bones ached. Then we would sit to sort out "stuff" that sounds so dumb today.

Now as mother I follow the same policy. The only difference is that along with the boxing gloves I throw in the antiseptic. For through the years not only the joys, the sorrows but even the scars prove that we are still family.

honeylime IF-Dazzler
honeylime
honeylime

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 10:57am | IP Logged
Thnx for sharing, interesting stuff Big smile
.Prometheus. Channel Moderator
.Prometheus.
.Prometheus.

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 10:57am | IP Logged
thanks for the article
helipatel IF-Sizzlerz
helipatel
helipatel

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:03am | IP Logged
Thanks.
Immie Goldie
Immie
Immie

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:17pm | IP Logged
thanx..
sanjana22sanju Goldie
sanjana22sanju
sanjana22sanju

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:53pm | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing...... Big smile
Lady In Pink IF-Rockerz
Lady In Pink
Lady In Pink

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 1:50am | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing Sukhsi di Big smile Big smile

Smriti rites really well...i agree with her 100% Smile
ronitfan IF-Stunnerz
ronitfan
ronitfan

Posted: 17 March 2006 at 2:22am | IP Logged
Yes she's a good writer - there are more articles written by her. Just go to dnaindia.com and type Smriti Irani in the searc box:))

Go to top