Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Pankaj Mullick-Another gr8 Music Director

Barnali IF-Rockerz
Barnali
Barnali

Retro Podcast Team

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 6:57am | IP Logged

Pankaj Mullick : Another great Music Director of 20th century

Pankaj Mullick's music composition held a unique position right from the early thirties to the present day, maintaining an unfailing popularity for both young and old. Mullick also brought the concept of the 'tonga song' to the Indian screen for the first time with the immortal 'Piya Milan Ko Jaana'. He was also responsible for bringing down the pitch of Saigal's voice and toning its attractive sonorous quality.

Pankaj Mullick was born in Calcutta to Manimohan Mullick in the year 1905. His father was greatly interested in traditional music and would invite eminent singers and instrumentalists to perform during religious festivals.He was initially trained by Durgadas Banerjee and Dinendranath Tagore.He dropped college to cherish his first love music.In the year 1927 his career started when he got the opportunity of being a musician in the Indian Broadcasting Company.

Pankaj Mullick was a Bengali born and bred. And it was Rabindra sangeet that brought him into light. As he once put it: "Rabindra sangeet is my life. Therein lies my redemption. It is not just music but something more. I can't speak for others but Rabindra sangeet tranports me away from this world, far away, farther than even the sun and the moon and the stars!" Pankaj Mullick was introduced to the Tagore family, which was to have an everlasting influence upon him. Rabindra Sangeet became his forte, and he is the only man who has tuned a Rabindranath poem to music with the great poet's total approval. Through Pankaj Mullick's songs that Rabindra Sangeet became popular in every Bengali household, even raising great interest among Western music connoisseurs.

Mullick first joined Calcutta's famous New Theatre's where he trained and conducted rehearsals for artists like K C Dey and Saigal.His first break was Yahudi Ki Ladki (1933). Here, he shared the credits with R C Boral. Later he worked with R. C. Boral for P C Barua's legendary tragedy, Devdas (1935), where Saigal rendered 'Dukh Ke Din Ab Beetat Nahin'. Their other joint hits included Barua's Maya and Grihadah (both 1936), Hem Chunder's Karodpati (1936) and Nitin Bose's President (1937).

Pankaj joined films during the silent era and provided background music using Tagore melodies and conducting a live orchestra during the screening of silent films Chorkanta and Chashar Meye. After the arrival of sound Pankaj scored the music for New Theatres' first talkie, Dena Paona in Bengali (1932) followed by Attorthy's costume epic Yahoodi ki Ladki (1933), the latter being his maiden bid to score music for a Hindi/Urdu film. Later on Mullick got his first opportunity as an independent music director in P C Barua's Mukti (1937). It had Mullick's composition for Tagore's poem 'Diner Sheshe Ghumer Deshe', which became a huge hit. As a composer, Pankaj almost revolutionised the concept of music content in films. He was the first music director to establish the use of western orchestra and the equally important role of background music in highlighting the moods and tempo of the scenes. He was enthusiastic about using the piano and the accordion besides, conventional Indian instruments. Even today his compositions like Pran chahe do not pass as old-fashioned. It was Barua's Mukti (1937) where he not only composed its music but also made his debut as an actor in the role of a poor philosopher-singer and made himself known to the cinema fans.

In 1944, Mullick composed and even sang 'Do Naina Matware Tihare', 'Ai Kaat Be Taqdeer' and 'Chupo Na Chupo Na' for Chunder's Meri Bahen.The songs became instant hits.He scored many of Saigal's best songs, including 'Soja Rajkumari' and 'Main Kya Jaanoo Kya Jaadoo Hai'.

Who can foget the soul-stirring music by Pankaj Mullick in the composition, "Mahishasura-mardini", which still resonates within Bengali households every year at the dawn of Mahalaya.

He passed away in the year 1978.He is the author of four books on music, which illustrated the correct structure of Ragas, the rukes and canons of Indian classical music. His autobiography has been published whose title is 'Amar Jug Amar Gaan'.

Honours and Awards

• 1956-Sangeet Ratnakar
  • 1970-Padmashree
  • 1975-Rabindra Tagoracharya
  • 1945-Best Music Director for Dui Purush

Best of Pankaj Mullick : Hindi Film

Hum Chale Watan

Movie : Kashinath

Singer Asit Baran

http://www.badongo.com/file/299847

Lo Shuru Hui

Movie : Kashinath

Singers : Asit Baran and Bela Mukherjee

http://www.badongo.com/file/299881

Aye Qutub-e-Taqdeer

Movie : My Sister

Singers : Pankaj Mullick

http://www.badongo.com/file/299891

Do Naina Matware

Movie : My Sister

Singer : K L Saigal

http://www.badongo.com/file/299909

So Ja rajkumari

Movie Zindagi

Singer : K L Saigal

http://www.badongo.com/file/299933

Pankaj Mullick Live : 1964

Chale Pawan

http://www.badongo.com/file/300058

Diner Sheshe Ghumer Deshe : Rabindra sangeet

It was a poem by Gurudev which he gave music with the total approval of the Poet himself. It is said that Gurudev told him "Pankaj you have given excellent tune maybe even better than what I would have given."

http://www.badongo.com/file/300070

Best songs sung by him : Private Albums

Chhor Musafir Maya Nagar ab

http://www.badongo.com/file/300175

Mere hathiley Shyam

http://www.badongo.com/file/300190

soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged
Thanks Barnalidi for reminding us of another  almost forgotten star of
Indian Music Pankaj Kumar Mullick

Clap

Another round for the uploading the great songs

Clap

Some more info : Wikipedia on Pankaj Mullick

Pankaj Kumar Mullick (Bangla: ????? ????? ??????) (10th May,1904 - February 19, 1978) was the 4th recipient of Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 1973. He is also known as the First Man of Rabindra Sangeet. He had been well known as a Music Composer and Singer. However, he has also acted and penned the lyrics for some films. He was closely associated with Bengali cinema and also Bollywood. He was one of the first artists of All India Radio or Akashvani. He was also associated with the New Theatres Calcutta [1], especially Raichand Boral.

Also see Indian_film_music_directors.

Honours and Awards

• 1956-Sangeet Ratnakar
  • 1970-Padmashree
  • 1975-Rabindra Tagoracharya
  • 1945-Best Music Director for Dui Purush

External links

Bhaskar.T IF-Sizzlerz
Bhaskar.T
Bhaskar.T

Retro Podcast Team

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 7:31am | IP Logged
Thanks Barnaliid. Waited long for the article. Smile

Pankaj Mullick and Saigal both gave us some really good songs. Pankaj Maullick was born a year later to saigal but in their heyday they brought the whiff of joy to millions of homes. Saigal and Mullick were in a true sense, the voice of India. Saigal died quite young when he was hardly 42 and is known to have recorded only around 250 songs. Pankaj Mullick, also known popularly in Bengal as Pankaj Babu, lived to the ripe old age of 73 and reportedly fathered some 5,000 tunes. Both made their early mark in Kolkata, though Saigal was later to make Mumbai his home.

Jem4Himesh IF-Sizzlerz
Jem4Himesh
Jem4Himesh

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 7:40am | IP Logged

thanks for the info Barnali di & soulsoup bro....Clap

I haven't heard of him before so it was an interesting read....

juggyE Goldie
juggyE
juggyE

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 7:47am | IP Logged
Ae Qatib-e-Taqdeer was sung by KL Saigal as well...
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 7:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Jem4SRK

Jem sis - all credit to Barnali di - I am just a copy-paste guy.
Please download and listen the songs.
Bhaskar.T IF-Sizzlerz
Bhaskar.T
Bhaskar.T

Retro Podcast Team

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 7:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by soulsoup

Originally posted by Jem4SRK

Jem sis - all credit to Barnali di - I am just a copy-paste guy.
Please download and listen the songs.

True...

Do you have the song from the film Doctor, Aaye Bahaar Aaj sung by Punkaj Mallick himself. Would love to listen to that. And also Kaisa Ujra Chaman by Kanan Devi from the film Mukti I think..Confused Am not sure about the movie though.

appa_d Groupbie
appa_d
appa_d

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged
Diner seshey - is one of my all time favs. What incredible music? I cant remember a single occasion in my house when this song was not played.
Also like Main kya jaanoo, kya jadoo hai...

Go to top