Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

Diverse strains- article by Shubha Mudgal (Page 2)

soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 09 April 2006 at 8:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by punjini

Excellent article!
Especially agree with:
And yet, every television channel in the country continues to do little to promote traditional music and the arts, while countdown shows flood the channels regularly with an unfailing monotony. Who sanctions these programmes if not the powers that be? Are we not being characteristically hypocritical and extreme in our attitudes? If the nation believes in preserving its rich cultural heritage and is proud of its artistic traditions, why is it so difficult to get patronage for classical and folk music? Why is there no single channel that caters to lovers of classical art music? If we can listen to a folk song in a blockbuster movie, why can we not give an occasional patient hearing to the original? Or do we only boast of our arts when we wish to glorify the antiquity of our great culture?

Punjini – Why only for people who appreciate classical art? It should be for all. I don't know the intricate details of classical music. But Pt Bhimsen Jhoshi mesmerizes me, Sitar of Ravishankar fills my heart with positive energy, Pt Hariprasad makes me weep in an unexplainable reason.

Question is not 'why they don't do it' it's actually 'why they can't do it' – it's not even the question of capitalism either, it's just pure escapism. Let's do the easy thing to do and move on! Didn't you heard the famous Bollywoody logic for making the crappy masala movies – 'public mangta hai –hum keya kare?' As if the people of performing arts today have no moral obligation to form and reform the 'taste-buds' of public!! It's just oh-so-easy to run a filmy countdown show!!!

punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 09 April 2006 at 10:20pm | IP Logged
Amidst so many TV channels, if there could be on classical music, it would be really beneficial. I don't know if you are aware of a 24 hour satellite radio service called World Space (www.worldspace.com). It offers many channels, one of them being Gandharva, devoted to classical music. There is another called Farishta for old Hindi film songs. One needs to install a digital satellite receiver in order to listen to the music.

In India, I know many who are subscribing to Worldspace. They tell me that some beautiful programmes have been broadcast, not just musical programmes but interviews with Ravi Shankar, Shiv Kr Sharma etc. In the Farishta channel, in between songs, they play interviews with music directors, singers etc.

One can get Worldspace in many parts of the world. In Singapore, Gandharva is not available, though.
juggyE Goldie
juggyE
juggyE

Posted: 09 April 2006 at 10:33pm | IP Logged

If we can listen to a folk song in a blockbuster movie, why can we not give an occasional patient hearing to the original?

Great point and I've no answers...

Why is there no single channel that caters to lovers of classical art music?

Punjini ji, its all about revenue. Revenue (in music) is driven by teenagers all over the world. How many kids in India today would admit that they like classical music? There's a lot of peer pressure - most would probably feel ridiculed if they admitted the fact that they like to listen to "that old" music. This is one of the reasons I love (and applaud for) teenagers like Abhi and Madhavi here on IF...

Edited by juggyE - 09 April 2006 at 10:34pm
punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 09 April 2006 at 10:39pm | IP Logged
Well, I don't think there would be ridicule if one went to learn classical. In fact, others would look up to the person and think that he/she is a cut above the rest. At least, that's the way it used to be in my college.

Old Hindi film songs - yes, the bratty generation thinks that whatever is old has to be discarded.
juggyE Goldie
juggyE
juggyE

Posted: 09 April 2006 at 10:46pm | IP Logged

Well, I don't think there would be ridicule if one went to learn classical. In fact, others would look up to the person and think that he/she is a cut above the rest. At least, that's the way it used to be in my college.

Old Hindi film songs - yes, the bratty generation thinks that whatever is old has to be discarded.

uh oh... aapka warning level badhaa kya? WinkLOL
punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 09 April 2006 at 11:40pm | IP Logged
Itni si baat pe warning??
trishancku Goldie
trishancku
trishancku

Posted: 29 October 2007 at 1:57pm | IP Logged

A class apart
Versatile vocalist Shubha Mudgal talks about the crests and troughs of music
Photo: K. Bhagya Prakash

Always grounded Shubha Mudgal
She is tired of being tagged. If the old school of thought calls her a rebel, the modernists consider her a new age diva. But Padma Shri Shubha Mudgal refuses to be grouped. Music is all she knows, and, may be, all she wants to know. "I don't understand why people get so touchy about a classical musician getting into film and popular music. I have been asked innumerable times why I made that shift. If film music is bad music, does that mean what our Lata ji and Asha ji sing is bad? Of course not! Why divide music into good and bad? Please keep casteism out of music," she retorts.

The voice behind the poignant "Laaga Chunari Mein Daag"  besides "Ali More Angana", "Dolna", "Ab Ke Sawan" and "Mathura Nagarpati" from "Raincoat", is still enjoyed by music lovers worldwide. The title song of the latest Pradeep Sarkar film was taken from 1963 classic film, "Dil Hi Toh Hai" by the same name and was sung by the legendary Manna Dey.

"You can never replace the original but I have done what the movie and the music director wanted me to do. When I was asked to sing the song, I was briefly told about the script but didn't exactly know how the song will be picturised," explains Shubha who will lead her voice for a film by a Pakistani filmmaker titled "Ramchander Pakistani". It has music by Debjyot Mishra, who she considers her favourite composer.

Classical rendering is no longer a part of Hindi film, which is the reason why she is not heard very often. "Bollywood believes that female voice should be high pitched, even if an actress's original voice is not so. Base voice is only used for item numbers," she quips.

In spite of the fact that she has drawn a lot of youngsters to classical music with her style and given it the much-needed mass appeal in the process, she doesn't want to take any credit. "I haven' t done anything much. It's not fair to call me a diva and all, as I am not one. The real divas are people like Gangubai (Hangal) and Kishori (Amonkar)," says the Allahabad-born artiste. Humility is indeed her middle name. She refuses to believe that the number of classical music listeners has decreased. On the contrary, "There are more listeners than ever before. In earlier days, you would rarely see a house full for a classical concert but now any good concert sees a sea of people, " says the vocalist.

But then she doesn't deny that listening has, indeed, become a dying art. "You find people chatting away to glory either with the next person or on the phone. If it is a doctor attending to an important call I understand but not otherwise. There is a certain protocol one needs to follow. If you are such a busy man, then why come to a concert? Just think of the musician who is performing with highest intensity and concentration on the stage. It is very disturbing," says the singer known for her powerful, emotive voice. Unlike many classical musicians who belong to one style or gharana, Shubha chose not to attach herself to any one particular gharana or technique. "I think what's more important than the gharana is to attribute the songs to the respective gurus on stage and I do that."

It has been a long time since she came out with an album. She reasons, "Good work is not done in an assembly line. I don' t cater to commercial needs."

MANGALA RAMAMOORTHY

Source:http://www.hindu.com/mp/2007/10/29/stories/2007102950850100. htm

spsharmila Goldie
spsharmila
spsharmila

Posted: 29 October 2007 at 2:42pm | IP Logged
Thank you trishanku ji for reviving a good post Big smile

Shubha Mudgal is a exceptionally forsighted musician Clap ....she has done lot of fusion music albums through which the younger generation, which frowns upon the classical music, has been attracted to classical music to some extent.

Go to top