Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

M S Subbulakshmi - Sublime Singer (Page 2)

punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 9:12pm | IP Logged
This is an excerpt from what I read on Internet. For the full article, you can visit http://www.chembur.com/anecdotes/carnatic/ms.htm

Another MS achievement was that, virtually for the first time, she astonished the Westerner into an appreciation of Carnatic music. In the 1960s, the few Indian musicians known outside the country were Hindustani instrumentalists. In the Western world, hardly anyone knew of the complex Carnatic system, which was deemed inexportable. Why, even North Indians found it indigestible. In a conversation with Jawaharlal Nehru, Sadasivam remarked that the West might prefer instrumental to vocal music. "Yes," said Panditji, tapping his fingers. Then looking straight at MS he broke into a smile, "But not in YOUR case!" MS always adds, "By God's grace, what he said came true when I sang at the Edinburgh Festival, at the United Nations and at Carnegie Hall."

On the eve of a public concert in New York, U.N. Chef de Cabinet and Carnatic music expert C.V. Narasimhan was disquieted at the prospect of rejection by the redoubtable critic of the New York Times. He was to call ecstatically the next morning. "You have won. The press overflows with praise." So it did after everyone of the string of concerts that MS gave in the US and in some parts of Europe before all-white audiences, most of whom were strangers to any music from India.

The New York Times said: "Subbulakshmi's vocal communication trancends words. The cliche of 'the voice used as an instrument' never seemed more appropriate. It could fly flutteringly or carry on a lively dialogue with the accompanists. Subbulakshmi and her ensemble are a revelation to Western ears. Their return can be awaited with only eagerness." Dr. W. Adriaansz, Professor of Music, University of Washington, wrote: "For many, the concert by Mrs. Subbulakshmi meant their first encounter with the music of South India and it was extremely gratifying that in her the necessary factors for the basis of a successful contact between her music and a new audience - highly developed artistry as well as stage presence - were so convincingly present...without any doubt (she) belongs to the best representants of this music."

This writer witnessed that kind of wondrous rapture in Moscow when MS performed before a select group of Russian musicians and musicologists in 1988. Midway through the singing a woman came up with flowers. She touched her eyes first and then her heart to communicate her bursting feelings. That this was a shared experience became evident when the applause and the audience followed MS as she left the hall, down the staircase, to the car on the street, until she drove away.

tellus Senior Member
tellus
tellus

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged
And her rendition of Hanuman Chalisa... in that same CD. Atleast I hear this 2 times a day... This CD never moves out of my system..
Originally posted by punjini

Many thanks for this article about the great lady!! What a voice she had! Frankly, I don't give too much credit to her husband for moulding her. She would have become great anyway.

I love her suprabhaatam, Bhaja Govindam, Vishnu Sahasranama and Mudaakaratha Modakam to name a few.
tellus Senior Member
tellus
tellus

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 9:21pm | IP Logged
I was lucky to have made it to her final concert a few years ago..
vidyaah Groupbie
vidyaah
vidyaah

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 10:03pm | IP Logged
Wow..MS amma...I hear her singing live and i feel like i have died and gone to heaven!

I have heard many versions of Bhaja Govindham..but none with the spirutual richness as MS amma's voice.

Her rendition of Bhavayami raghuramam will still bring tears anyday!!!
punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 11:08pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by adwarakanath

Regarding that, one famous music critic from Madras had written - The average South Indian will sit through and also interestedly listen to a Hindustani concert, but the average North Indian will dismiss Carnatic classical as just a collection of hymns in wierd languages.

This is something quite serious. I have noticed it too. Bharata Natyam is appreciated in North India but not Carnatic music.

But with South Indian MDs like Shankar Mahadevan and ARR coming into Hindi mainstream, this might change. Who would have thought in the eighties that  Tamil songs would become popular in North India? But it happened with Roja. ARR broke the barrier in that sense.

The biggest problem North India is facing now is - Punjabification.

Go to top