Deal Ya No Deal
Deal Ya No Deal

article on Mandira

Mishubaa IF-Rockerz
Mishubaa
Mishubaa

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 5:40pm | IP Logged
It's a deal for Mandira
It's a deal that the beautiful and vivacious Mandira Bedi couldn't refuse. When Madhavan, the superstar of South, said "no deal" to Sony's Deal Ya No Deal after a short stint as the show's host, Mandira accepted the deal. And for all the right reasons. Ever since she shot to fame with cricket World Cup two years ago as co-host of Extraa Innings on Max where she lent glamour to the serious academic debate and technical analysis of the game, Mandira's popularity graph has seen an upward rise like the Mumbai Stock Exchange's soaring Sensex.

In fact, Mandira has proved to be Sony Entertainment Network's lucky mascot, given her popularity among women and youth and her high-level spontaneity and energy that she also amply proved in Fame Gurukul. So when Madhavan decided to walk out and the show was being given a makeover with a new set, interesting elements, more drama, glamour and glitz, Mandira was the channel's obvious choice. "Sony has been very good to me. They gave me a second lease of life," she says with a broad smile.

Mandira was too happy to say yes to the deal. "It's the biggest game show in the world running in 44 countries." she smiles. "It's an honour to host Deal Ya No Deal because so far it hasn't had a female host anywhere in the world." Mandira also didn't have any reservation about taking up the job though the show hasn't made any significant impact on TRP charts. Try asking her whether she took up the show because the deal was too tempting and pat comes the reply, "Money is secondary. When I was offered the show I immediately said yes. I believe that some projects give you money and some give you satisfaction. This project is very exciting and very different from all that I have done so far in acting and hosting." She doesn't think Deal Ya No Deal is not doing too well. "It's for sure that it's being watched," she defends

"When I was asked to host it, I didn't look at the ratings. That's the channel's concern. I was very excited by the format and since it was being relaunched I was keen on doing it," says the actress who began her acting career as the protagonist of the afternoon soap Shanti and has acted in several serials for the next eight years.

But cricket changed things completely three years ago. Now it is anchoring that Mandira is sought for, be it fashion shows, game shows, talent hunt shows, corporate shows, brand launches, award programmes…the list is long. "Hosting was considered to be a man's job. But things have changed and as for me nobody is thinking of me as an actor. Everyone wants me to anchor. But I love hosting shows and having played almost all shades of characters in serials I want people to see me as a gamer. I love my work. Connecting with viewers as a host is amazing. I want to break the male monopoly," declares Mandira.

But she admits that she had tears in her eyes when she started preparing for the show. "Maddy (Madhavan) got 15 days to rehearse and I got only six days. At one point I thought I had made the wrong choice and thought of giving it up. But I persisted and when I did the first episode I was surprised that I walked through it so easily," she laughs. She has every reason to laugh. For, she says anchoring is more challenging. "You can switch off in acting. You can be average in some scenes and yet get appreciation. But as a host you just have to be to on your toes," she explains. What makes anchoring a happier experience is the money part. "It's more profitable. A day's work in acting is longer than in anchoring. Acting demands more time and commitment. And all this for less money," says Mandira who will be seen in sarees in Deal Ya No Deal. "Research has shown that the audience prefers to see me in sarees. It's an attire that cuts across all classes, castes, regions and religions."

Shakstar IF-Rockerz
Shakstar
Shakstar

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 5:52pm | IP Logged
tfs!
Anastacia IF-Rockerz
Anastacia
Anastacia

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 8:07pm | IP Logged
She is Sony's mascot eh?
*shikha* IF-Dazzler
*shikha*