India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Reality Shows:Is the Indian Public Ready

sawariyah Senior Member
sawariyah
sawariyah

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 4:05am | IP Logged

I saw with much sadness Amey Date a talented singer from Mumbai being voted out of the Indian Idol contest yesterday. Prior to him, good singers such as Monali, Panna, Meenal, Antara were also voted out. In comparison to the remaining 3 except Karunya, the other two Anuj and Sandeep lack what it takes to be Indian Idol.

My grouse is whether the Indian public is actually ready for reality voting shows. Because trends indicate that the voting is along regional lines and not on singing talent at all? 

For instance the same formatted show in the US, the public actually votes for an Individual as a package and regional factors hardly play a role.. yuor comments please.. 

Morgoth IF-Rockerz
Morgoth
Morgoth

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 4:36am | IP Logged
It is not entirely "talent based" in the US either.

Example:

American Idol Season 2 - Rueben won over Clay, but Clay got more success.

American Idol Season 3 - when Jasmine stuck around because of votes from Hawaii and Simon's degrading comments and Latoya got voted off.

American Idol Season 4: Carrie Underwood won over Bo Bice (arguably a more versatile singer). Bo's single overrode Carrie's (the same song) on the billboard charts even though it was released many days later.

Apart from that, if you see ANY Idol show, you will note that everyone from their hometown IS voting for them - the hometown and the state is completely behind them.

Not necessary that real talent wins always.

Happens EVERYWHERE, not only in India. Smile

datspreets Goldie
datspreets
datspreets

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 4:58am | IP Logged

Originally posted by T.

American Idol Season 3 - when Jasmine stuck around because of votes from Hawaii and Simon's degrading comments and Latoya got voted off.

I was quite prepared for good singers exitign Indian idol..after havign experienced that we vote for contestants from our region only. take for example Qazi & Ruprekha winnign Fame Jodi..(Rupu is still got singign talent..but Qazi..no wayzz...)

I also caught the Indian idol season when jasmine stuck around because of teh asian + hawaiian appeal !

Yeah this is not only in India !

i think this happens more in India because we are loyal to our region first and then our country..

even though we say that united we stand but this voting proves that divided we are !

Actually the reasons behind it can be many..but teh most prominent one is ofcourse teh pride of seeing someoen from ur state or city winnign the title ! who wouldn't like that?

Plus, these shows are not just singign based..orelse why woudl they see the X factor?

Also, not all peopel have teh nack for classical singign and the one's whose song selection & appeal seems better gets all teh votes~

Rules are rules..if junta is given teh rigth to vote, we shouln'd be complaingin..after all we are part of teh junta !

So it's not a question of Indian public not being mature enough for reality shows..its more the case of practising favouritism & regionalism !

( no harm in favouritism..it's natural..but regionalism hurts...even Hawaiians did it for jasmine and i guess HPites are doign it for Anuj..)

we gotta just accept it !!

Aparna_BD IF-Dazzler
Aparna_BD
Aparna_BD

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 11:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by T.

American Idol Season 4: Carrie Underwood won over Bo Bice (arguably a more versatile singer). Bo's single overrode Carrie's (the same song) on the billboard charts even though it was released many days later.

Not necessary that real talent wins always.

Happens EVERYWHERE, not only in India. Smile

I agree with you totally especially the underlined part .Tongue I mourned for days when Bo Bice lostCry .............he is unargubaly the most talented .......may be not as popular as the Americans prefer Country /Pop music to Rock !!

This year i love Taylor Hicks and i love that bald guy" Daughtery" . But i feel Americans will vote for singers like Paris or Lisa . (although i love their voice ......but will not buy thier record).

So i suppose its not always talent that wins these contests but i am certain talent will take you much further than popularity as public is fickle !!

And even here in the U.S it seemed that many contestants got the votes from their hometown. Its expected to some extent , but yes Indians sometimes tend to give more importance to their region than Country on the whole.

Edited by Aparna_BD - 15 March 2006 at 11:52am
zhasan2 IF-Rockerz
zhasan2
zhasan2

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 6:48pm | IP Logged

well, just as others have said, this isnt only India. and in American Idol, other contestants have received more fame than the real winner, so Amay will go far ahead because of his talent

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top