Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

Music - Highest Form of Worship (Page 3)

simplyskud Goldie
simplyskud
simplyskud

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 12:53am | IP Logged

Originally posted by adwarakanath

Kahan kahan se pakad late ho yaar articles?

I am saving them. Will read when I wake up.

Fantastic, thanks Skud Bhai.

Mods, please make this a sticky?

Thanks, Abhi. You can stop saving the articles. Have linked the articles to the proper page on the first post of the thread. Makes for an easy reference for anyone interested in someone particular.

Hope the mods make the thread sticky. More than that, would love everyone else to contribute here as well.

Smile Smile Smile

punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 1:19am | IP Logged
Hi SimplySkud
This thread is Simply Marvellous. Shows your high IQ. Smile

Since you've asked us to talk about people whose profession was not music, yet they excelled in it, I thought about Charlie Chaplin, one of my idols. Sheer genius.

I just adored the music he composed for his last film "Limelight" Has anyone heard it?

Don't have time to do much research but this is an excerpt from an article I have:
Chaplin proved to be a prolific composer. He could not read a note of music but could play it for those who could write it down. Some of his music has gained widespread recognition, such as "Smile", from Modern Times and "This is my Song" from one of his lesser known films, A Countess from Hong Kong. The most beautiful is "Eternally", the opening theme of Limelight. It became so widely known as one of the great Chaplin compositions that it was played at many of his professional appearances, including his Academy Award acceptance in 1972.
punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 1:21am | IP Logged
Incidentally, when I was hearing the songs of the Dev Anand starrer "Maya" the other day, I was startled to hear a complete copy of Chaplin's Limelight music in the song "zindagi hai kya, o meri jaan, pyaar bhara dil, meethi zubaan".
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 1:29am | IP Logged
Skudbhai - So far I was keeping a distance from this thread - because it's depth and vastness - If I start, I won't be able to emerge from it. But now I am helpless - give me little time - to read the posts and come up with my own 2 cent worth contribution.

Punjini - not only IQ can do all the magic, Skud bahi got balanced amount of EQ too. Let me stand up for our dear Skud bhai and Clap
simplyskud Goldie
simplyskud
simplyskud

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 5:07am | IP Logged

Charlie Chaplin. Thanks to punjiniji for the gentle reminder.

Smile Smile Smile

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------

The Masterpiece Features

However, before he could assume his responsibilities with United Artists, Chaplin had to complete his contract with First National. So early in 1921, he came out with a six-reel masterpiece, "The Kid", in which he introduced to the screen one of the greatest child actors the world has ever known - Jackie Coogan. The next year, he produced "The Idle Class", in which he portrayed a dual character. Then, feeling the need of a complete rest from his motion picture activities, Chaplin sailed for Europe in September 1921. London, Paris, Berlin and other capitals on the continent gave him tumultuous receptions. After an extended vacation, Chaplin returned to Hollywood to resume his picture work and start his active association with United Artists.

Under his arrangement with U.A., Chaplin made eight pictures, each of feature length, in the following order: "Woman Of Paris" (1923) which he wrote, directed and produced, but in which he only appeared in a cameo role and gave the limelight to Edna Purviance and Adolphe Menjou; "Gold Rush" (1925); "Circus" (1928); "City Lights" (1931); "Modern Times" (1936); "The Great Dictator" (1940), in which he played a dual role and talked on the screen for the first time; "Monsieur Verdoux" (1947) in which the public saw a new Chaplin, minus his traditional moustache, baggy trousers and wobbly cane; and "Limelight" (1952) . In 1957, he released his comedy "A King in New York" which Chaplin wrote, acted in and directed, as well as composing the music, and in 1966 he produced his last picture "A Countess from Hong Kong" for Universal Pictures, starring Sophia Loren and Marlon Brando.

Last Years

Chaplin's versatility extended to writing, music and sports. He was the author of at least four books, "My Trip Abroad", "A Comedian Sees the World", "My Autobiography", "My Life in Pictures" as well as all of his scripts. An accomplished musician, though self-taught, he played a variety of instruments with equal skill and facility (playing violin and cello left-handed). He was also a composer, having written and published many songs, among them: "Sing a Song"; "With You Dear in Bombay"; and "There's Always One You Can't Forget", "Smile", "Eternally", "You are My Song", as well as the soundtracks for all his films.

Charles Chaplin was one of the rare comedians who not only financed and produced all his films (with the exception of "A Countess from Hong Kong"), but was the author, actor, director and soundtrack composer of them as well.

simplyskud Goldie
simplyskud
simplyskud

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 5:32am | IP Logged
One of Charlie's first recollections of music touching his soul was early in his life. He found himself alone outside the White Hart Pub off Kennington Road. A few years later Charlie took up the violin as a young man. You can see Charlie play a violin in "Limelight" and "The Vagabond." Later, as Charlie worked for Karno, he began to see how music could influence a scene. He became a student of how music could be used as a counterpoint. Then in 1916 Charlie started his own music publishing group: "The Charlie Chaplin Music Publishing Group." Charlie went on to write music for many of his films. Some of those films are: "The Kid," "The Gold Rush," "The Circus," "City Lights," and more. Robert Downey helped to make "Smile" very popular. Many suggest that Chaplin used ghostwriters for his music, though never proven, nor agreed to by those who worked with him.
Trivia: Charlie even got the chance to conduct for the Lyman's Orchestra.
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 6:15am | IP Logged
Mods - please make this a sticky
punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 6:52am | IP Logged
Wow Charlie Chaplin was so immensely talented. His autobiography is one of my treasured books.

Go to top