Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

For Abhi!! a musical article. (Page 3)

Swastika Senior Member
Swastika
Swastika

IF SRGMP Winner

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 4:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mishtimoni

I personally have always had an issue with the fact that there is a stereotype for female voice in Indian playback industry..but contrary to what the author states, it is not limited to Hindi film music only.. if you listen to Sandhya Mukherji, the legendary playback singer in Bengal, who was Suchitra Sen's voice in so many classic movies, her voice is even thinner and more high pitched than Latabai (ironically Suchitra had a huskier tone)...even today, nobody has a problem with Sonu Nigam's voice(which is not really masculine at least not to me!!), but it becomes an issue with a female voice like Sunidhi's and people say that she should not sing anything other than item numbers.. without belittling the great artists of playback singing, I just wanted to make the point that in terms of voice type, there seems to be a strong stereotype for female singers..

ClapClap Agree!

punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 4:34am | IP Logged
Oooh I am reading this thread only now! I thought it was only meant for Abhi. Smile

Indeed, I have heard these views about Lata from people who have been exposed to the West or those who live there.

I am also in the introspective mode now about whether Indians used to perceive the shrill, high pitched female voices as being feminine and virginal. But Lata's voice was certainly not falsetto. Her speaking voice itself is so high pitched. She is not a fake.

But it is true that voices like Usha Uthup's were rarely used in films in yester years. Everyone from Suman Kalyanpur to Sandhya Mukherjee to Janaki tried to model their pitch on Lata's.

Today the music directors are far more ready to experiment with different pitches. Sunidhi Chuhan would not have been successful in the 60s. Today she is considered sexy. Himani was so popular in SRGMP despite singing in such low frequencies.

Both feminine and tomboyish voices are acceptable today.
Quietude IF-Rockerz
Quietude
Quietude

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 4:49am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Mishtimoni

I personally have always had an issue with the fact that there is a stereotype for female voice in Indian playback industry..but contrary to what the author states, it is not limited to Hindi film music only.. if you listen to Sandhya Mukherji, the legendary playback singer in Bengal, who was Suchitra Sen's voice in so many classic movies, her voice is even thinner and more high pitched than Latabai (ironically Suchitra had a huskier tone)...even today, nobody has a problem with Sonu Nigam's voice(which is not really masculine at least not to me!!), but it becomes an issue with a female voice like Sunidhi's and people say that she should not sing anything other than item numbers.. without belittling the great artists of playback singing, I just wanted to make the point that in terms of voice type, there seems to be a strong stereotype for female singers..

to mishtimoni ji Clap very well said.

btw i disagree with the article on the first page - lata and falsetto ???Angry  who is the writer??

Go to top