Likes DebuThumbs Up   

Abhi tera pura identity SRGMP me ruk geya?  LOLLOLLOL
ms04 Senior Member
ms04
ms04

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by T_fari

Confused i still didn't get that who is ABHI??? confussing!! Confused

Abhi mean "right now"...so this article is for right now...okay?????

So read it NOW...

teenindia_usa IF-Sizzlerz
teenindia_usa
teenindia_usa

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 8:40pm | IP Logged
Oh I was out and missed this too nice.
Mishtimoni Groupbie
Mishtimoni
Mishtimoni

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 10:02pm | IP Logged
I personally have always had an issue with the fact that there is a stereotype for female voice in Indian playback industry..but contrary to what the author states, it is not limited to Hindi film music only.. if you listen to Sandhya Mukherji, the legendary playback singer in Bengal, who was Suchitra Sen's voice in so many classic movies, her voice is even thinner and more high pitched than Latabai (ironically Suchitra had a huskier tone)...even today, nobody has a problem with Sonu Nigam's voice(which is not really masculine at least not to me!!), but it becomes an issue with a female voice like Sunidhi's and people say that she should not sing anything other than item numbers.. without belittling the great artists of playback singing, I just wanted to make the point that in terms of voice type, there seems to be a strong stereotype for female singers..
ms04 Senior Member
ms04
ms04

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 11:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mishtimoni

I personally have always had an issue with the fact that there is a stereotype for female voice in Indian playback industry..but contrary to what the author states, it is not limited to Hindi film music only.. if you listen to Sandhya Mukherji, the legendary playback singer in Bengal, who was Suchitra Sen's voice in so many classic movies, her voice is even thinner and more high pitched than Latabai (ironically Suchitra had a huskier tone)...even today, nobody has a problem with Sonu Nigam's voice(which is not really masculine at least not to me!!), but it becomes an issue with a female voice like Sunidhi's and people say that she should not sing anything other than item numbers.. without belittling the great artists of playback singing, I just wanted to make the point that in terms of voice type, there seems to be a strong stereotype for female singers..

I think you got it right..about suchitra sen's voice and songs picturized on her. In hindi movies too, a lot of thin voices has been used in songs for almost everyone. some of them just dont suit..like shreya on bipasha, any female singer on rani mukherjee...
I would love to see some one in hindi movie singing shubha mudgal's song..
SholaJoBhadkey IF-Dazzler
SholaJoBhadkey
SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 12:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by adwarakanath

Originally posted by soulsoup

Originally posted by ms04

actually this is the person's intro. Seems qualified enough.
Even though we may not agree with her..but its a totally different perspective. The whole article made me think...and am still thinking. come to think of it...every single female singer has tried that shril voice. which we dont find girls speaking in...def not todays heroines..:)

to soulsoupji...this article is for every enthusiast..and that definition would be incomplete without you.

========================================
Zoe C. Sherinian is assistant professor of ethnomusicology at the University of Oklahoma. She specializes in the music of India, indigenization theory, gender theory in music, and African American music. Her publications include "Dalit Theology in Tamil Christian Folk Music: A Transformative Liturgy of James Theophilus Appavoo," in Popular Christianity in India: Riting Between the Lines, edited by Corinne Dempsey and Selva Raj, with an introduction by Wendy Doniger (SUNY Press, 2002). She has also published on gender theory and the music of k. d. lang in volume 3, The United States and Canada, and on Tamil Christian Music in volume 5, South Asia, of The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music. Her article entitled "The Indigenization of Tamil Christian Music: Transculturation and Transformation" will be published in World of Music 47, no. 1 (2005). She is currently writing a book entitled The Subaltern Sing: Tamil Folk Music as Liberation Theology. Sherinian taught previously at Franklin and Marshall College, Tufts University, Oberlin College, and Wesleyan University. She is a percussionist who specializes in jazz drumset and the South Indian mrdangam and does workshops on rhythmic theory and the art of speaking drum syllables (solkattu).

I think she read too much - Gana sunneka waqt jada nehi mila.
LOLLOL

Bollywood Music = Tamil.....MINDBLOWING womanLOL

Did she hear only Muhthukodi Kauvadi HadaLOL

LOLLOLLOL

All I can say to her is, if only you had heard Lataji sing live...

luvmusic Goldie
luvmusic
luvmusic

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 3:59am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Mishtimoni

Agree completely Mishtimoni ji.....when not specifically heavy masculine voices can be accepted for male singers....y lay down strict rules for female singers?

Thanks for the article ms04...thought provoking indeed....there r 2 sides to a coin...u never know what the person on other side is reading whilst u think there is only one face to it....

Go to top