angel_111

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 11:29am | IP Logged
Style ke mooh pe tamacha
   By: Shweta Shiware
   March 13, 2006

Case study event: GR8 Women's Day party
Where: Grand Hyatt, Vakola
When: March 8
Who came: Ishita Arun, Anju Mahendroo, Narayani Shastri, Shama Sikand, Kiran Juneja

Bhavana Balsaver could have opted for strappy sandals instead of closed heels, that go well with a business suit. The stringy poncho isn't classy enough for a woman her age Nikki Aneja overdoes the "matching matching"
"What's with the potli Nikki Aneja is carrying?" wonders fashion designer Surily Goel, who transformed Jassi aka Mona Singh from a gawky Jaswinder to sensuous Jessica.

That's the question on our minds too. And it's not just that. There's Bhavana Balsaver's stringy poncho, Shama Sikand's humongous earrings, and practically every other television star's gypsy skirt and sequined kurti.

If you happen to attend a television do, you have to bump into the empire cut, chiffon dress (Poonam Goel loves it), lycra tube top (Sweta Keswani and Shruti Ulfat favourites) and   rebonded tresses (Tanaz Lal has lost her curls).

"The lack of identity has led to the chaos," designer Anamika Khanna, who stocks at London's Selfridges, tells you.

TV stars are style clones

See what we mean

Poonam Goel Mansi Joshi Roy
The way soap stars dress at events and parties is only a reaffirmation that they have lost perspective between the real and reel.

They have become the character, and therefore, the way they walk, talk, dress after shooting hours is frightfully similar to their onscreen persona, she explains.

Actor Archana Puran Singh, who usually seems to get her style statement right, calls it the tragedy of television.

"Unlike in films, where Aishwarya Rai is Aishwarya Rai first, and then Paro, on TV, Sakshi Tanwar is Parvati first. So, the screen persona, and eventually the dress sense, invariably takes over."

An optimistic Surily thinks there is still hope. "They just need a bit of direction," she says. Nikki should have surrendered the potli and Mansi Joshi Roy's formal curls ruin a perfectly casual outfit, leaving her looking older, is her advice.

Homogeneity has already set into the way popular   characters on TV are presented. Every married woman, whether Parvati, Prerna or Kumkum, dresses the same. And we are tired of life imitating art.

In the West, TV stars set fashion trends

No photos pleeze, we are indian:
Sarah Jessica Parker is just as stylish when she is off the sets of Sex and the City
We aren't obsessed with all things foreign for nothing! Before a phenomenon called F.R.I.E.N.D.S struck Jennifer Aniston, she was a just an ordinary Grecian gal. But look what the sitcom did to her personality and career.

Considered the most stylish among the cast of this cult show, Jennifer is equally stylish when she goes bananas over turning 30, as she is off screen buying groceries.

The distinct individual styles of actor Sarah Jessica Parker and her all-gal team gave reason to every "thinking" woman to go shopping.

With every season, Sarah has raised the bar, to become a style icon of our generation. Talking about the current hot pick on Star World, Desperate Housewives, a cleverly crafted drama has every character experiment with fashion.

Foreign gossip mags are equally enamoured by the fab four, and feature them regularly on their covers.

In most cases, the actors featured in the above three serials, were nobodys who later scored big fashion points when they made public appearances. Their key to success: Get a good figure, and a great stylist!

These we like

Mini Mathur

Go under but never go over. I would never want to be overdressed.

Combine Western cuts with Indian fabrics or motifs.

Stylist Rishika Hegde looks after my wardrobe. She dresses me up in everything from a Manish Malhotra to a Tarun Tahiliani for my show.

Fortunately, the way I dress on television is similar to the way I do otherwise.

Karishma Tanna

I don't believe in trends, but my belt and shoes have to match.

It's the first thing I notice on others too. I don't wear any accessories except a watch. It does not matter if my clothes are unbranded as long as I like the fit.

Currently, I am fond of shirtdresses, which I often pair with thick belts.

Mandira Bedi

The current lot of TV stars are stuck in a bling-bling time jam.

It's time to go back to basics. My new look will be crisp, like designer Raghavendra Rathore's style —well-cut bandgalas and sherwanis.

If a particular hemline or cut that's in vogue, doesn't suit you, don't waste time over it. For instance, I know I don't have the legs to carry off a mini, so, I pick knee length and long skirts.

Archana Puran Singh
host of Kandy Floss on Sony

Four-step style guide:

1. Every time you open your cupboard, always think aloud: at what weight am I in life? My weight keeps fluctuating. Two months back, my figure permitted me to fit into skimpy clothes, but that's not the case now. It's very crucial to camouflage your lack of fitness with the right clothes.

2. Don't fall for fads. Instead, dress up to enhance your assets. Make sure you are up-to-date with the season's colours.

3. Style and money have nothing to do with each other. You've got to have the knack of carrying off even a simple salwar kameez with poise. An eye for style can be developed over time with global exposure.

4. At a party, it's not okay to wear fake eyelashes and nails. Lip liner running half an inch outside the lip line is definitely not done.

We've had enough of:

Ponchos. They have been out of fashion for   some time now. High time, telly actors get it and  move on... 

Gypsy skirts. No more whirling frenzy. This year belongs to straight-cut silhouettes — these not only look stylish, but lend a leaner advantage to the curvy Indian body.  

Stash away your chandelier earrings in the attic. They add weight when you could enjoy freight-free!

Wedding chudas worn with western outfits, ala Shilpa Saklani and Manini De, look tawdry. Besides, haven't these women been married for ages?

Rid yourself of the matching syndrome. Nikki Aneja needn't have divided her entire ensemble, shoes, batwa, hair clips, wrist watch and even make-up, into green, pink and yellow categories.

currentchaos Goldie
currentchaos
currentchaos

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 11:45am | IP Logged
Thanks ..What is Poonam Goel wearing??? LOL
Ambrosia IF-Sizzlerz
Ambrosia
Ambrosia

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 11:46am | IP Logged
thanx
aish2 IF-Sizzlerz
aish2
aish2

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 11:54am | IP Logged
thanx for the article
Tomiko IF-Sizzlerz
Tomiko
Tomiko

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 12:03pm | IP Logged
LOL ...thanks for the article!
sweetsorrow18 IF-Rockerz
sweetsorrow18
sweetsorrow18

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged

Wedding chudas worn with western outfits, ala Shilpa Saklani and Manini De, look tawdry. Besides, haven't these women been married for ages?

GAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHA LOL

R U LISTENING SS????? now stop choodifiying people and move on dudetteLOL
blyton IF-Rockerz
blyton
blyton

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 12:51pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by sweetsorrow18

GAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHA LOL

R U LISTENING SS????? now stop choodifiying people and move on dudetteLOL

Hee hee hee.....

finally SS gets her due!Confused

Sidlum Goldie
Sidlum
Sidlum

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 5:29pm | IP Logged
Thanks for the article. Awww..an author after my own NOBS (CC) heart! Embarrassed LOL

LHeartWE,

Sid

Pig

Go to top