sweet freedom

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 11:09am | IP Logged
same here
happy holi, but wen is it

j y o t i Goldie
j y o t i
j y o t i

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 11:12am | IP Logged
hey i wud lyk to kno wen holi is too, nobody really celebrates it here in canada, or atleast where i live
but neways
happy holi !

Edited by j y o t i - 13 March 2006 at 11:18am
hazelgirl IF-Rockerz
hazelgirl
hazelgirl

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 11:18am | IP Logged
tejas...tomorrow i wnt get time so...wished it in advance Tongue
anglina Senior Member
anglina
anglina

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 12:21am | IP Logged
HAPPY HOLI
hav fun!! Smile Smile
mallika_14 IF-Sizzlerz
mallika_14
mallika_14

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 12:41am | IP Logged
holi is tomm...

anywayz happy holi all the hp members.

love u loads,
mallu
daniel_4ever IF-Rockerz
daniel_4ever
daniel_4ever

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 12:49am | IP Logged
happy holi to all.. i'll have loads of fun tomorrow Big smile   Big smile it'll be fun
albusdumbledore IF-Dazzler
albusdumbledore
albusdumbledore

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 12:57am | IP Logged

Originally posted by muqaddasa

well 2 tell u da truth i dont kno wen holi is LOL

Originally posted by goth princess

same here
happy holi, but wen is it

Originally posted by j y o t i

hey i wud lyk to kno wen holi is too, nobody really celebrates it here in canada, or atleast where i live
but neways
happy holi !

hiya ppl,

holi is the festival of colors (I know this is dumb of me to explain... but then again I thought why not take the liberty of giving a show off my pathetic essaying skills.... TongueWink)

In Hindu mythology, Hiranyakashipu was the king of demons, and he had been granted a boon by Brahma, which made it almost impossible for him to be killed. The boon was due to his long penance, after which he had demanded that he not be killed 'during day or night; inside the home or outside; not on earth or on sky, neither by a man nor an animal'. Consequently, he grew arrogant, and attacked the Heavens and the Earth. He demanded that people stop worshipping gods and start praying to him. But his own son, Prahlad, was a devotee of Lord Vishnu. In spite of several threats from Hiranyakashipu, Prahlad continued offering prayers to Lord Vishnu. He was poisoned but the poison turned to nectar in his mouth. He was ordered to be trampled by elephants yet remained unharmed. He was put in a room with hungry, poisonous snakes and survived. All of Hiranyakashipu's attempts at killing him failed. Ultimately he ordered young Prahlad to sit on a pyre on the lap of his sister Holika, who could not die by fire by virtue of a shawl which would prevent fire affecting the person wearing it. Prahlad readily accepted his father's orders, and prayed to Vishnu to keep him safe. When the fire started, everyone watched in amazement as the shawl flew from Holika, who, then was burnt to death, while Prahlad survived without a scar to show for it, after the shawl moved on to cover him. The burning of Holika is celebrated as Holi. It is also said that later Lord Vishnu came in the form of a Narsimha (who is half-man and half-lion)and killed Hiranyakashipu at dusk (which was neither day nor night), on the steps of the porch of his house (neither inside the house nor outside) by pouncing on him (neither in the sky nor on the earth) and mauling him with his claws.

In Vrindavan and Mathura the festival is still celebrated for 16 days (until Rangpanchmi in commemoration of the divine love of Radha for Krishna). Lord Krishna is believed to have popularized the festival by playing pranks on the gopis here. Krishna is believed to be complained about his dark color and Radha's fair color to his mother and so decided to apply color to her face. The celebrations officially usher in spring, the celebrated season of love.

There is another story about the origin of holi. The Kamadeva is God of love. Kama's body was destroyed when he shot his weapon at Shiva in order to disrupt his penance and help Parvati to marry Shiva. Shiva then opened his third eye, the gaze of which was so powerful that Kama's body was reduced to ashes. For the sake of Kama's wife Rati (passion), Shiva restored him, but only as a mental image, representing the true emotional and mental state of love rather than physical lust. The Holi bonfire is believed to be celebrated in commeration of this event.

he he just joking this text is copy pasted from Wiki, the free online encyclopedia.Wink

regards,

tejas

daniel_4ever IF-Rockerz
daniel_4ever
daniel_4ever

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 1:01am | IP Logged
u know a lot tejas... i must say

Go to top