Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Swar_Raj thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

I see Qazi and Mr Ad saying same remark..that someone used bad words against the nation. No one will tolerate that and we will alls tand to taht..but i have still not seen that and Mods have also asked about ti. If u were there then huw coem it was not getting reported?????

Pl report such postings...I do too and i am sure Mods willt ake appropriate steps.
chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: Swar_Raj

I see Qazi and Mr Ad saying same remark..that someone used bad words against the nation. No one will tolerate that and we will alls tand to taht..but i have still not seen that and Mods have also asked about ti. If u were there then huw coem it was not getting reported?????

Pl report such postings...I do too and i am sure Mods willt ake appropriate steps.

time for a lil bit of sensitivity training:

lets assume someone says to you: you are voice of ReligionA, not voice of everyone; or you are voice of THAT RegionA, not voice of India. There are certain things that are happening here on a subtle level:

there is a connotation that your ReligionA or RegionA is bad. I do not know if someone has actually used religion, but talk which implicitly denigrades a region is also worse than any personal abuse. Look at all the things which qualify as "hate" crimes, and you'll find that region, ethnicity and nationality rank high. These are considered worse than personal abuse because they offend so many. And talk of someone being affiliated with some terrorist org, that is slander of the worst kind, worse than any personal abuse.

actually, some of the posts in reference are not even as polished as that. they are worse- aside from poor grammar and poor logic, they offend the sensibilities more directly.

tell me, if someone goes through the bother of digging out these posts, what specific action would be taken? the same as what was done when i first started reporting them?

you want personal abuse? how does "rishte mei tumhare baap lagte hain" sound to you. fine? can it then use it for u? happened right under the nose of moderators who kept giving "sheh" to certain people in the name of "winning back the peace". i disregard such things as juvenile and dont even bother reporting them- i can handle personal insults hurled at me, but find it harder to deal with attacks, subtle or otherwise, which attack my nationality or ethnicity.

the fact that you see certain people in sgmp or the lady in the audience mouthing some of these things do not make it OK. they just need a lot of training. in most other countries, they would have been shown the door. Kicked out unceremoniously. Fired. Sued.

there was a big hue-and-cry when the Harvard President, Dr Lawrence Summers quoted something from research which was failrly innocuous and actually true. That got construed as a put-down against females in general and has led to his problems.

let's start here before we go further with the issue of tactfully dealing with problematical customers even in a monopolistic setting (the setting of IF), of showing to investors that someone is mature enough to manage what is essentially a service business (the IT components of this site are very easy to replicate).

sorry, but i think it's high time we put these issues behind us but we are not doing so when we are intent on throwing things at some folks. to keep on at it one way and not expect the other side to speak up, that would be unfair.

greatmaratha thumbnail
Originally posted by: apparaohoare

The problem is with partiality.  If you ban Abhi, then ban each and every member who has ever used profanity, or any other things mentioned by Vijay.  We do not have a problem with that. Lets all get fair treatment here.

Mr. Rao, 
In fact, I agree with you that if one person is banned for use of profanity, the treatment should apply to all equaally and no one, I repeat, no one, irrespective of who they are or who they are close to, should be allowed to get away with  breaking IF rules.

Henceforth, anyone who uses profanity will be warned and if the behaviour is repeated more than once, will definitely be banned. 

We just want fair treatment too. 

If anyone sees any post which contains profanity, please report it immediately and if possible, please pm a Mod or a Global Mod who is online, Action will be taken immediately.

No more partiality.  I am with you guys there that in any forum, partiality to any one person or set of persons can only cause imbalance in the forum and will only lead to unhappiness.  We want to change that and we will. 

Regards,
Priya

greatmaratha thumbnail
CB,

Thanks for ur comments.

What you have written is probably hitting the nail on its head. Subtle sentences, shrouded very well in folds of good words and language often has a way saying and meaning things which might miss the casual reader, but for a regular member, it makes a whole of sense.

How do we handle this.

It is your wishes, i mean the wishes of the forum members that Moderators should be here only to control profanity and personal attacks and nothing else.

So how to control this. The example you gave is a prime example of how some members try to get under the skin of some other members, provoke them and sit back and watch the fur fly.

Please help us finding a way of dealing with situations like this, without getting the forum up in arms against us. We welcome your inputs on this.
seema_17 thumbnail
Thanks Priya, hopefully this will serve as an expensive lesson to all of us now
Swar_Raj thumbnail
Chatbuster..bad language is bad language. Religion is religion whether i follow what. We belong to Gandhiji's nation..respect all religion. At the same time we are followers of Bose babu to. Ek thappad marre to tum usko do lagayo...but all this have the meaning in the way You approach it. We donot have to follow all religion but gives us no right to make fun of other religion...we can disaggree but why make fun of such a delicate issue...who ever does it is just a sick person and if it is ha[ening then we should just inform the mods and leve it..arguments with such brain dead people leads u nowhere. If they had sense..they will not mock any religion or nation. We all pride in our nation and religion. I feel proud to tell that i am a hindu and from india. My kids born here sometimes face problem in school and u know what kind of problem???? My daughter was being bashed to such level that we left the school..reason she gets awards in subjscts or is good in studies, becuse of her some XYZ students were not getting award and same student used to tell her ..go away. U people take best jobs here...Poor thing she used to cry and this is 6th grade...I did not blame kids totally..it is what they hear in their home,csociety,
But u know who went to school board to fight this..same grades parents of other kids. Although it was same community. They came blunt to those parents..saying your kid is not behing beacuse u have a indian kid...Your kid is behind because he is not studying....but we still changed school and now she loves her new school

So it is out thinking my dear. ..Rishte main to hum thumharre bbap lagte hain...this could said just in light comedy..it totally will depend on circumtances and how you take it.
I have been a reader for long ...created accoount now as t is hard to read with out account ...never saw this kind of problem created by one member..Mr AD..ofcourse is very talented..have seen numerous posts and was his post was deciding factor for me to vote for sare as we see it after few days in US. But looks like he was taking advantage of being popular. I have seen some of his posts which had really bad words ...sorry but earlier i used to follow his posts as thought he is great knowledge...but lately it seemed he is more interested to create sensation...how could u create a post sayinf mods are not doing jobs and are biased...as a reader and a hema fan..never felt that way.

Bottom line chatbuster..itis old saying...Apni Akal (Brain) her kissi ko jyada lagti hai...it is like a mother for who her kid is the best...

and that seems to be the mind set here....we should realize.it is a open public forum where you ask and talk and read..you donot demand the way he was. This intelligent kid as per me is now only a selfcentered kid.
Well time for me to get kids from school so will talk later more if needed.

greatmaratha thumbnail

We donot have to follow all religion but gives us no right to make fun of other religion...we can disaggree but why make fun of such a delicate issue...who ever does it is just a sick person

Well said. Such people are truly sick and there is no point even arguing with them or trying to reason with them.

Does not mean that if you see such posts, you just report to Mods and close your eyes. If you feel so strongly about it, please do post, but when you do post, remember that you cannot stoop down to the level of such sick posts. If you keep up your dignity, and post politely but firmly that the post is in bad taste, surely others will get the message. meantime, the Mods can also take appropriate actions like warning and if repeated, banning too.

Swar_Raj thumbnail
Priya I agree, we cannot close our eyes,..We shouldnot tolerate it but before taking it your hands,...do report it too and in some cases..like ASAM INdia ..responding just yes or no was a pain...so in such cases it is better to leave them and pity them.
seema_17 thumbnail
Swar what u say is true, but i think in this case it is entirely out of context, first of all whatever abhi had said or done was long time ago, and out of the blue, a mod found it and banned him, when he had already apologized for this matter and had been forgiven, but anyways lets not go there. after this i think priya and bhaskar will agree that everything was going fine, everyone was happy and back to normal when Vijay decides to step in and say "aao tho welcome, jaao tho bheed come" meaning anybody goes we don't care, we don't need u guys anyways. it is THIS statement i object too, an i think that was the objective of this post
chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: s.priya

CB,

Thanks for ur comments.

What you have written is probably hitting the nail on its head. Subtle sentences, shrouded very well in folds of good words and language often has a way saying and meaning things which might miss the casual reader, but for a regular member, it makes a whole of sense.

How do we handle this.

It is your wishes, i mean the wishes of the forum members that Moderators should be here only to control profanity and personal attacks and nothing else.

So how to control this. The example you gave is a prime example of how some members try to get under the skin of some other members, provoke them and sit back and watch the fur fly.

Please help us finding a way of dealing with situations like this, without getting the forum up in arms against us. We welcome your inputs on this.

yaar, whatever rules you formulate reflect priorities. to my mind,

1. hate/ discriminatory attacks are the worst kind. they offend an entire section of people. in civilized societies, these attacks merit the harshest sanctions. no attack, subtle or otherwise, that are racial, ethnic, regional, religious in nature should be tolerated... As i have said before, someone can get away with life sentence for a murder, but if it can be estblished that the murder had "hate" undertones, then the sentence is manadatorily capital punishment.

2. personal abuse comes a distant second. not just me saying it- this idea is very well embedded in US jurisprudence. yaar, i have seen too many trends in my short existence to know that ultimately some of these trends find their way to other places as well. we want to deal with the west on economic terms, well we better understand that 1. is definitely far worse than 2. A lot of the VC capital or funding someone might want have flows that originate out west (FDI).

3. anything else goes. in line with my thinking on free speech. includes bad grammar, poor logic, sarcasm, humor (sick or otherwise), confrontanial questioning- these should be technically acceptable.

4. in cases of 2, a simple edit/ warning should suffice. repeated offenses cld of course lead to harsher sanctions.

5. since 1 can be subtle, there should be a system where someone is pmed to explain/ apologize. someone may initiate the complaint, could be a member or mod. if there is no satisfactory reply, the person probably warrants strict censure/ banning. but the point here is to give whoever it is some opportunity to defend- after all, who am i to say that something falls under 1 without giving the other side an opportunity to defend. but if they cannot defend, then the offense deserves the ultimate sanction.

would also prevent sensationalizing things unless warranted. while the "case" is pending, someone could be prevented from further posting without attaching some other label to their profile.

6. if we exclude 1., we will continue to have problems. Worse, now that this has been brought to your attention on repeated occasions, someone cannot say they were not informed in advance.

7. if u apply above policy, it shld be clear who shld have gotten banned first.

as for swar_raj, sorry i do not get your point. are you telling me that it is ok to use that phrase. your only response will be to "move away"?