Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jeshwant thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
WOW! thanks you guys, you all have been a great help !!
Now I understand what they are talking about!!! 😉 😃
zapman thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Jeshwant

Can someone plz tell me what Sur and Antara means. The mentors al always talking about sur and antara ... but I really don't understand what it is!😕😕

Thanks in advance!!😉

SUR = Musical note / pitch / tone. Like Sa, Re, Dha, C-sharp, B-flat etc.

In the context of your question, the judges are trying to say that the singer sang a few notes incorrectly, as compared to the original composition, meaning they were out of tune in a few places.

ANTARA = Any paragraph of the song, except the first / opening paragraph/stanza. The opening stanza, a.k.a. the mukhda or the refrain, is usually repeated in part or full between each antara. In some type of songs, there is a special name for the last paragraph also, but that's a different subject, for another day.

In the context of your question, when the the judges talk about the antara, they are referring to the 2nd stanza of the song.

Hope this helps.

tellus thumbnail
soulsoup, 👏 👏
Had always wondered about this extensive usage of block chords whenever I downloaded western sheet music. But never asked my piano teacher... Now I know...

Also Reg..the difference between Equally tempered and Just Tempered Sequence...
So Does that means our harmonium and Piano keys do not sound exactly the same?
Also, how about stringed instruments... Are the violins too tuned differently for Indian classics from the way they are tuned for Western Classics?

Originally posted by: soulsoup

Indian classical music does not use what are called chords, or pressing more than one key simultaneously. Chords are a major aspect of Western music and producing harmony via chords is a natural consequence of the Equally tempered (geometric series) arrangement of the keys. <span>If keys were arranged in a Just tempered sequence, pressing more than one key at a given time might produce an unpleasant sound pattern resulting in what is called 'Besur' (in Hindustani music) or 'Abaswaram' (in Karnatic music).</span> By the way, one more advantage of Equal temperment of pianos and keyboards is that it makes it easier to 'tune' them, (they go out of tune every once in a while and need to be tuned periodically) since each key is harmonically related to the other keys. In case of Just tempered arrangement, since the key ratio between adjacent keys is not a constant, most keys will have to be tuned individually.<div><div><div><div>

tellus thumbnail
Just to add a little more info to those who might have got mislead by my earlier post that Piano is not a stringed instrument like Violin.
Technically, Piano is also a stringed instrument.
battosai64 thumbnail

Originally posted by: zapman

SUR = Musical note / pitch / tone. Like Sa, Re, Dha, C-sharp, B-flat etc.

In the context of your question, the judges are trying to say that the singer sang a few notes incorrectly, as compared to the original composition, meaning they were out of tune in a few places.

ANTARA = Any paragraph of the song, except the first / opening paragraph/stanza. The opening stanza, a.k.a. the mukhda or the refrain, is usually repeated in part or full between each antara. In some type of songs, there is a special name for the last paragraph also, but that's a different subject, for another day.

In the context of your question, when the the judges talk about the antara, they are referring to the 2nd stanza of the song.

Hope this helps.

NOW I understand. THanx!😛

zapman thumbnail

Originally posted by: tellus

Just to add a little more info to those who might have got mislead by my earlier post that Piano is not a stringed instrument like Violin.
Technically, Piano is also a stringed instrument.

No, technically speaking Piano is NOT a string instrument. A piano is a percussion instrument. Hammers that are operated by levers attached to the keys of the piano strike the strings in a piano (which resembles a harp laying on its side). That makes it a percussion instrument.

A string instrument is usually played by plucking the string or by gliding a bow across the string(s). Fingers or some objects are used to modulate the sound.

Celina7 thumbnail
umm I think antara is the verse of the song...mukhda is the chorus...sur is all the notes 😳
zapman thumbnail

Originally posted by: Celina7

umm I think antara is the verse of the song...mukhda is the chorus...sur is all the notes 😳

Chorus has nothing to do w/ mukhda. Not all songs have chorus, in fact most don't. As I said earlier, mukhda is the opening para that is repeated between antara's. Mukhda is a.k.a. refrain.

tellus thumbnail
Thankyou zapman for your definition... All along I was thinking Percussion instrument means tabla, mrudangam, drums etc etc... Thanks, its a revelation for me..
vinit_fan thumbnail
sur + antara = VINIT vinit and ONLY VINIT 😉