Hi Friends

Go thru Sonu's latest interview, and his comments on HR's voice

and then give me ur comments

Have a nice weekend

Kavita 😊😊

Sonu switches lanes

The idol of many singers is about to expand his musical horizons

Subhash K Jha

You've become a youth icon among singing aspirants.

I had not noticed this development until two to three years ago when Shaan told me that many of the songs that the contestants sang on Sa Re Ga Ma Pa were mine. Now, when I'm a judge on Indian Idol I do realise that the contestants tend sing my difficult songs like 'Tera jadoo chal gaya', 'Zindagi maut na ban jaye' and 'Satrangi re'. I've now begun to realise that good work always reaches people's hearts. So I just do my work. As a singer I'm far from perfect and maybe I'll never get there, but there is no harm in trying. I am 32 and hope to do a lot as a human and a singer in the years to come.  

Are you being challenged enough as a singer?

I don't think the film industry is able to provide sufficient opportunities for me, so I have to create my own challenges. This year I have some great songs in Karan Johar's Kabhi Alvidaa Na Kehna, Shirish Kunder's Jaan-e-Man, Kunal Kohli's Fanaah, Nikhil Advani's Salaam-e-Ishq, Rakesh Roshan's Krisshh, J.P. Dutta's Umrao Jaan and Farhan Akhtar's Don. But the challenge I experience when I sing a classical song where I've to work on a particular harkat or an alaap is missing. Films don't provide me songs like that. All tracks today are deejay-designed and private albums are dead. The furthest I could go with a   non-film pop album was Chanda Ki Doli where I showed some of my classical  creativity . I've therefore decided to come out with a semi-classical album. I might as well do something I believe in and something I'd be proud of forty years from now.

Have you sung 'Khai ke paan Baneraswala' in the Don remake?

I wish I had. As a child I used to dance to that song on stage. By the time I asked Shankar-Ehsan-Loy whether I could do it, they had already asked Udit Narayan to sing it. With his North Indian background he's the right person to do it.

What do you feel about Himesh Reshammiya's sudden success as a singer?

It's easy to criticise someone's singing for being nasal. Who sets the rules for how a song should be sung? Times are changing and different voice types are entering the industry and being accepted. With Himesh, at least a distinctive voice from within the country has found acceptance. Otherwise we've lately had strange voices from outside India, no matter how besura (out of tune), becoming successful.

What did you think of all the singers who have come from Pakistan?

A few are good. But most of them are strictly okay. In a country that has been blessed with a Lata Mangeshkar and Mohd Rafi who wants these voices?

Are you happy with the state of film music in this country?

Although I had raga-based songs in Parineeta and Paheli, the songs didn't get any recognition. I don't have a problem with Himesh getting all the awards, but it's an insult to nominate Paheli and Aashiq Banaya Aapne in the same genre for popular awards. Our songs were from two different genres in Aashiq…. and Paheli. The genres have to be separated or our singers will stop doing riyaaz. They'll wonder why they need to work on their voices when they can get awards for relatively simple songs.

Mahesh Bhatt started the trend of introducing Pakistani music to Bollywood.

Everyone has the right to do their own thing. But if this trend continues, we as artistes need to tighten our seat belts. The music from Pakistan has a different flavour and colour to it.

What are your future plans for playback singing?

I'm doing too many things at the same time. I love the feeling of being in demand. I'm not passionate about anything except music. I'm blessed to have so much work. But I miss the glory attached to playback singing. I wish we had one good music company that could respect a good artiste. 

How're your relations with your old company T Series?

We continue to maintain a cordial relation. But it isn't the same as before when Gulshan Kumarji was around. If I had contributed the same to any other music company there would have been lot more appreciation. I'm looking at a credible company for my classical  album. I'm doing this for my own happiness.

Are you happy?

I've learnt to look for happiness within myself.   People around me have changed. I've converted them into positive people. I don't allow anyone negative in my space.  I'm surrounded by people who have love in their eyes.

Would you call yourself happily married?

Well, I am married and one can be happily married. Marriage is a very small part of life. And I'm saying this in the presence of my wife. There's a lot more to life.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Starttofinish thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 18 years ago
Thanks for the article. Interesting. I thought Sonu was divorced from his wife Madhurima. Did he get married again?
joyce_k thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I agree with Sonu, the type of music that is playing now is not atall Indian, and doesn't need any special singing skills. But I also think that it's not here to stay.I hope we get rid of it soon.
And the same applies to HR too, I don't think any leading hero will agree to carry nasal voice 😆
ranig thumbnail
It's interesting that Vinit sang Sonu's difficult songs. Shows how talented he is and why the mentors were impressed.

It was nice that he defended HR and his style of singing.
sjain201 thumbnail
I DON'T REALLY CARE IF HR SINGS IN A NAZAL!HE SINGS ALL THE HIT SONGS SO I THINK HE IS ON #1 POSITION RITE NOW!
BTW NICE ARTICAL! 👏 👏 👏
Jay718718 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
i think sonu got an attitude issue in his interview
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
He says marriage is a very small part of life. Mark these words.Edited by punjini - 18 years ago
arun_8687 thumbnail
Nice Guy 😊 😊

btw,Talkin abt DON.Shaan's singin the title song
"Arey Deewano..Mujhe Pehchaano" 😉
teenindia_usa thumbnail
my sonu is taken lol!!!

ok is Vivek all the way than!!!