Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (Baa Bahu Aur Baby)
Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (Baa Bahu Aur Baby)

gatoooooooooo.deven

Mishubaa IF-Rockerz
Mishubaa
Mishubaa

Posted: 10 March 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged
"I wanted to play Praful in Instant Khichadi"

They are the master craftsmen- artistes, technicians,visualisers, all rolled into one. They lend their artistry to mundane associations to create path breaking scenes and dramatic sequences. They are the directors, who direct the cumulative energy of their work force towards one creative whole - they are the captains of shows that make us laugh and cry. In this special fortnightly section, we pay our tribute to these masters, who choose to remain off the screen and create magic on it!

Directors are many but actors cum directors are very few. Deven Bhojani in his childhood entered the industry as Nitya in Malgudi Days. He has not only made a mark in plays and films but also acted in top TV serials like Dekh Bhai Dekh, Ek Mahal Ho Sapno Ka and Office Office. After his directorial debut Mein Office Teri Aangan Ki, his immense talent has been proved in Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai and Instant Khichadi which is currently on a season break. But there's more on Deven's plate - he also dons the cap of creative director for Baa Bahu aur Baby on Star Plus. Serious Deven chats up with Riya V Anandwala about acting and directing shows.

'Team'ing with ideas

Till date, I have not had any problems in working with Aatish Kapadia and JD (Majethia). We've been friends for a very long time and they are more than my brothers. Even if we don't agree on something, we have a major mutual understanding which will help us out. There was this time when I wanted to play Praful in Instant Khichadi, but they turned it down as Supriya Pathak was already pencilled in to play Hansa and I would look young paired opposite her! Then I wanted to play Himanshu in the same show, but as I was busy with my play, I couldn't do that too. We share a great understanding.

Acting Vs Directing

Direction is nothing less than a challenge. As a director I have to take care of the smallest details. It ranges from the artistes, make-up, performances and technicians. When I am acting, it's only me, myself and the character.

Personal Favourites

As a director, I like the sisters, Ratna and Supriya Pathak Shah. They are excellent performers but with completely different styles. Ratna gives in a lot of concentration before the scene. In contrast, Supriya will be laughing all the time and talking on the phone. But both at the time of delivery of the scene, are just perfect. But personally I like Ratna's style more, as I too am like her when it comes to acting.

Gattu is not equal to Deven

I am completely different from Gattu. I am a very serious being. Everyone mistakes me for a very jovial person. There have been times, when kids come up to me and ask for autographs and pull my cheeks. I let go of it thinking that they are young and aren't really mature. But when elders do it too, I hate it, I guess they should have that much of sense that I am acting on TV. I am 39 and a father of two kids!

An All-rounder

I have recently joined in as the creative director for Baa Bahu aur Baby. So basically my job is to see whether things are done in the right way. Directors are episodic, so we have a new one every time. I basically concentrate on the performances, but I also contribute in the script at times, advise the directors about the technicalities, help in editing.

Comedy Setup

The biggest help I get to make my scenes audience friendly is the script. Aatish is such a fine writer, for me, he is one of the best writers India has. Because of my powerful script and my brilliant team members, we create situations that can make people laugh. And in fact, comedy is a serious business!

Looking ahead

Well, yes, I will work with other producers. But as of now, I am busy with my two serials. I have got many offers and all from top producers in the industry. Balaji and K Sera Sera productions are just two of them.

viral_shah Goldie
viral_shah
viral_shah

Posted: 11 March 2006 at 6:11am | IP Logged
THANKS
Wink

well i am happy he didnot do praful and himanshu nad finally played gattu
heenaz IF-Dazzler
heenaz
heenaz

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged
Angry