India-Forums

'I am a dimwit...!': Rupali Ganguli

monika.goel IF-Stunnerz
monika.goel
monika.goel

Posted: 10 March 2006 at 3:17pm | IP Logged
'I am a dimwit...!': Rupali Ganguli

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k5/march/23march/feature_rupal i.php

"I am Monisha. Completely. I am a dimwit, I bargain even at Shopper's Stop, I am a terrible cook, and, yes, I am very

Rupali Ganguli: Making an impression!

clumsy," laughs Rupali Ganguli, who plays Monisha in Star One's Sarabhai vs Sarabhai.

This, from a lady who has done such a wide array of roles that could easily make other actors on the telly, green with envy!

Sample this --- a double role in Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahi, a negative character in Star Plus' Sanjivani, a mentally unbalanced girl in Sahara's Zindagi Teri Meri Kahani, a prostitute in Bhabhi, a politician in Star Plus' Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii and her favourite, Monisha, a stingy middle-class housewife in an upper middle class household, in Star One's Sarabhai vs Sarabhai. All these characters being as different from one another as chalk from cheese.

Surprisingly, Rupali has also managed to act in one of the saas-bahu serials, without being typecast as a long suffering bahu! "I have done enough of that in Sanjivani, heavy make-up and the jewellery. I want to do something different every time, otherwise, however big the banner, I am not interested," says Rupali vehemently.

With co-star Sumeet Raghavan
Suddenly the media cannot have enough of her, it seems. People have started to see her as a serious actress and she has realized that her hard work has paid off. She still finds it a little disconcerting that people recognize her on the streets and she tells us that her mother constantly reprimands her for not dressing up properly, when outdoors, saying," Ab log dekhte hai." ( Now people recognize you!).

Daughter of acclaimed film director Anil Ganguli, who has made films like Kora Kagaz, Rupali has carved a niche for herself on the telly. She started acting when she was seven years old with a bit role in the film, Saheb, following it up with an award winning performance in her father's film, Bolidaan. But after doing a couple of forgettable films, she decided that this was "rubbish" and gave it all up. She did not even give screen tests, but concentrated on theatre and gave a commendable performance in Papa Don't Preach.

Fortunately for telly viewers, God had other things planned for this lovely lady! Soon after, she got calls to audition for roles in different serials, and then there was no looking back. We ask her about her dream role and she tells us that she would like to play a schizophrenic character, and 20 years down the line she would just love to play Maya, Ratna

Pathak's character in Sarabhai vs Sarabhai. She is hoping that one day she will be offered a role similar to the character that Jaya Bachchan played in Kora Kagaz.

Talk about Sarabhai vs Sarabhai and we hear Monisha, not Rupali, pour her heart out. She tells us how the rest of the cast are forever on her case and how Ratna Pathak ( her mother-in-law in the comedy) comes to her rescue ---- "but there are times when even she joins in," says Rupali, who says that initially she was in awe of this great actor but warmed upto to her once they started sharing a room while working on the show.

Whatever else Rupali might well be, she is certainly not a dimwit. She is an artiste who has made her presence felt in shows that had senior actors in them. A versatile actress, she plays out her characters with an ease that makes us wonder if she was acting out parts of her own life!

sufi89 Senior Member
sufi89
sufi89

Posted: 10 March 2006 at 5:51pm | IP Logged
great interview thanks a lot Clap Clap
uvcraziestfan IF-Sizzlerz
uvcraziestfan
uvcraziestfan

Posted: 11 March 2006 at 5:49am | IP Logged
thanks
saff IF-Dazzler
saff