Articles Archive (Page 3)

monika.goel IF-Stunnerz
monika.goel
monika.goel

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 9:23pm | IP Logged
I am a rebel with a lost cause'
Sudipto Chattopadhyay
Wednesday, March 08, 2006  20:10 IST

< name=searchDtls1 =http://www.dnaindia.com/SearchContents.asp?catID=search&pagenum=1 method=post>

</>

Navneet Nishan says accepting 'Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka' is a lucrative career choice

After playing protagonist Tara on television years ago, actor Navneet Nishan is back in the soap stream with Balaji's 'Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka'. She clarifies the misconception that she had diappeared from the small-screen. Navneet explains, "My comedy show 'Sabse Bada Rupaiyya' did not get noticed. So people assumed that I had quit."

Navneet reminisces about 'Tara', "We were way ahead of our times. Times have changed now." She believes in keeping pace with the generation, "I didn't want to be a fence-sitter and bask in the glory of my old days. My closest friend Amrita (Singh) and Sushmita Mukherjee has been working with Balaji for over a year now. So I decided to join the gang."

She says of her role in 'Nimmo', "I play a typical NRI woman who is a social climber." Nishan was keen to work with Balaji. "I had heard about the company's professionalism and the opportunities it provides for long-term employment. There is nothing much you can do in a two-hour film with 12 main characters. So I'd rather do a substantial role in soap."

Navneet is excited about 'Nimmo' as it has an interesting ensemble including actors Dolly Thakore, Sujata Mehta and Navjyot Singh Siddhu.  She adds, "Besides that I get to work with the new generation and learn much from them."

Navneet doesn't regret succumbing to the stereotype, "I am used to the good life and material comforts. For that I need to stay employed," she quips. "I am the rebel with a lost cause. Parallel cinema did not even consider me. So where else could I go?" Navneet concludes

Edited by monika.goel - 18 March 2006 at 9:24pm
monika.goel IF-Stunnerz
monika.goel
monika.goel

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 9:30pm | IP Logged
Sanjeeda turns down Madhavan for Ekta
She's already on air with the promos of her debut show - Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka (Star One). Sanjeeda, who plays Nimmo, is the newest Balaji entrant.

Did she stand in line with hundreds of aspiring actors to get noticed? No, destiny made life easier for her. The actress was present at a party where Ekta Kapoor, too, made an appearance. Still searching for her Nimmo at that time, it took just one glance for Ekta to realise her leading lady was standing right before her.

Describing how she got the role, Sanjeeda said, "Both of us happened to be there in the room at that time. Ekta just walked up to me and said she wanted me to work for her. The next day, I got a call from Balaji asking me for an audition, and in a matter of days, I was at the Nimmo set. It all happened so fast, that it took time to believe it."

Already an established name in the film industry down south, Sanjeeda has done a handful of Kannada and Tamil movies. "I was happy doing films and working with big banners, she says. I really had no particular ambitions about being a TV star." However, once she got Nimmo, her priorities changed. "Who wouldn't want to work with the best production house in the country? After I heard the story and realised how passionate Ekta was about the show, I decided to fully concentrate on the project."

In fact, she even turned down an offer to work in a film opposite Madhavan due to lack of dates. "I had to say no to Madhavan - he's a huge star down south - but since I wanted to give Nimmo my best, I had to turn down the offer." Sanjeeda is new to acting. Previously working as a choreographer for celebrity weddings, like those of the Hindujas and Rahejas, this Ahmedabad girl never thought seriously about acting as a livelihood.

When asked about her on screen character, she said, "She's a happy-go-lucky girl, who has no regrets whatsoever in life. " Sources claim that Nimmo's character Nimmo is based on Ekta's own life. Is Sanjeeda aware of this? "Many people ask me this… am I playing Ekta? Is Nimmo's story based on her life. Well, wait and watch!".
monika.goel IF-Stunnerz
monika.goel
monika.goel

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 9:34pm | IP Logged
The kklash
'Yes, Sony and I had a difference of opinion. Ekta Kapoor speaks. By Subhash K. Jha
Ekta Kapoor of Balaji Telefilms and (below) Tarun Katial of Sony Entertainment

The ever-forthright Ekta Kapoor has no qualms about admitting that she had a minor scuffle with Sony Entertainment, its head honcho Tarun Katial to be precise.

"I was rather annoyed with Tarun. They had left out my soap Kkusum from the invitation card of their party celebrating their successful soaps. Though Tarun said it was an oversight I thought it was a deliberate attempt to push our Kkusum hastily out of sight. Come on! Just because the soap was winding up it didn't mean it shouldn't have got a decent send-off."

The minor fracas is now forgotten. And the workaholic TV tycoon is now working on her new show — a TV gossip magazine called Kandy Floss for Sony. Giving the details of the format for the first time Ekta says, "We've never really had a gossip-and-information show about TV on TV before. Also, Balaji Telefilms hasn't really done much non-fiction…though we did do the Sunita Menon Show on Zoom which was very successful. But, yes, Kandy Floss is a first for us. And we're excited."

Besides a regular female anchor, Kandy Floss will have an animation creature called Kandy who'll take viewers through the party-gossip-info circuit on television. "It would be my tribute to Madame M, the fictional gossip writer whom I grew up reading in the magazine Cine Blitz ."

The anchor, though is not confirmed. Isn't Archana Puransingh talking about anchoring the show? "We're in negotiations. But some nitty-gritty needs to be worked out," says Ekta. Besides Kandy Floss on Sony, Ekta has two new fiction programmes coming up on Star One…Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka and Kasam Se. "We've already started casting for Nimmo. Though it will have a new face in the central role the supporting cast will comprise some very well-known veterans from stage and movies, never seen in my serials," promises Ekta.

Ekta is also thrilled with the remarkable recovery of ratings for Star's KkavyAnjali. "From being written off —almost — to now being our fourth-most popular soap on Star after Kyunki...Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi..., Kahanii Ghar Ghar Kii and Kasautii Zindagii Kay (just ahead of Kahiin To Hoga) we're very proud of KkavyAnjali and the support that Star offered. Star's COO Samir Nair assured me he wouldn't close down the show, come what may. That gave me the courage to go on."

As for the revival of Hum Paanch on Zee, Ekta says it's still not certain how successful it would prove to be. "The first few weekends were overshadowed by other events on rival channels. But I had no choice. The channel told me either I bring Hum Paanch back, or they'd do it themselves. How could I let someone else take over my show? I've revived two of my shows Mano Ya No Mano and Koi Haadsa Koi Haqeeqat successfully. Why not Hum Paanch?"

Edited by monika.goel - 18 March 2006 at 9:34pm
monika.goel IF-Stunnerz
monika.goel
monika.goel

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 9:45pm | IP Logged

Deepak Segal (Executive Vice President, Content Star) says, "I foresee further fragmentation in the TV industry, what with new channels, and technology like DTH and mobile coming up. For us at Star we hope to put on some shows that get into the marathon and some shows that could sustain in the race and keep leading in the marathon."

The workaholic TV tycoon Ekta Kapoor says, "I see a continuing fragmentation of viewership. Star Plus will continue to be on top in 2006. But Zee and Star One will inch forward. For me innovation is the key word. As far as soaps go, my biggest challenge this year is Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka on Star One. It takes me into an entirely new territory. My other new soap Kasamh Se is a sweet warm story that I hope to use it to lure urban audiences into watching Zee. And Kandy Floss on Sony will be my first non-fictional show. I'll also be launching one of my biggest soaps ever at year-end. There're other things on the anvil. But these are the main challenges. As far as Indian television is concerned, the sky is no longer the limit."

Edited by monika.goel - 18 March 2006 at 9:46pm
monika.goel IF-Stunnerz
monika.goel
monika.goel

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 9:55pm | IP Logged
View from the couch

Star One has suddenly become a happening channel. Nach Baliye continues to do the dance of the damn cool. The TV stars have never looked or danced better. The Great Indian Laughter Challenge and now Nach Baliye have turned around the fortunes of Star's newest channel. The ratings on Star One are attractive, and now the channel in collaboration with the irrepressible Ekta Kapoor, is hell-bent on swarming the fledgling channel with goodies.

Star One has several new serials coming up. Says Star COO Samir Nair, "Ekta is doing a number of new serials for Star One. Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka is a Cinderella-like daily. Then there's Karbon Kopy which will be on the lines of X-Files." But right now it's Star One's two new shows that have me all keyed up. India Calling treads the same territory as Star Plus' Shanno Ki Shaadi. Full-blooded lassi-paratha tale with a blithe-spirited Punjabi ambience that seeps into the very core of the characters. The first episode had the whole cast flying kites with the boisterous matriarch (Himani Shivpuri) leading the 'brag' pack. This joyous event was followed by a sagaai where the characters danced so hard you wondered when tragedy would fall on the proceedings. Sure enough the bride of the wedding decided to play truant. "I'm not coming," she announces to her horrified sister who tried hard to look, er, horrified. And succeeded only partially.

Edited by monika.goel - 18 March 2006 at 9:56pm
monika.goel IF-Stunnerz
monika.goel
monika.goel

Posted: 18 March 2006 at 10:12pm | IP Logged
DATELINE
Soapbox's new saviours
After Jassi, most entertainment channels have latched on to the middle-class girl as the main protagonist

SOMASHUKLA SINHA WALUNJKAR

%20SUNDAY%20>%20Soapbox's%20new%20saviours">Send Feedback   E-mail this story   Print this story
 Small screens' iconic middle-class girl Jassi might be close to riding into the sunset (the channel has reportedly decided to take it off air shortly) with her Prince Charming, but she has left behind a significant trail of middle-class working girls with stars in their eyes. The list is huge and growing (with some more under production): Sahara's Kittu Sab Janti Hai, Sony's Ek Ladki Anjani Si, Star One's India Calling and Ye Dil Chahe More, Star Plus' Shanno Ki Shaadi and Zee TV's Saat Phere and Kasamh Se. Sometimes the Jassi formula hasn't worked for immediate me-toos like Zee TV's now-off air Kareena Kareena and MTV's first soap Kitni Mast Hai Zindagi. And much before ugly duckling Jassi made being unattractive and middle-class a matter of national pride, Ekta Kapoor had made a tentative effort at showing a middle-class girl's journey into the world of riches in Kkusum, until of course it ended up being yet another saas-bahu caper. Sahara One's Kittu Sab Janti Hai and Sony' Ek Ladki Anjaani Si are both about hopes, dreams and travails of average middle-class girls and the desire to do something 'extraordinary'. Newcomer Ami Trivedi's 'extraordinary dream' in Kittu Sab Janti Hai is to become a hard-hitting journalist. After a nationwide audition, producer Manish Goswami zeroed in on Trivedi. "Kittu's the story of a middle-class girl. What sets Kittu apart is the fact that it's set in the media world. No other soap has done that. It's about real characters," says Goswami. Tarun Katial of Sony admits that while "Ek Ladki Anjaani Si is about a middle-class girl, but her journey is so unexpected from what viewers have seen that we feel the show will crack a new genre." Star One's India Calling and Star Plus' Shanno Ki Shaadi have similar robust, cheerful and nourished on lassi-and-parantha middle-class heroines. Star India COO Samir Nair admits that while it is difficult to pinpoint any "one formula" that's a sureshot "winner on TV, audiences of late have shown an inclination to connect more to shows about real people." That's where the middle-class 'girl' comes handy. So everyone is trying to get a share in the 'middle-class' formula. Coming up on Star One very soon is Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka and on Zee, another Balaji production Kasamh Se. Vivek Behl, creative head, Zee TV, says, "Kasamh Se has been given a special treatment."

And as long as the girl-next-door's screen fairytale grabs enough eyeballs, no one is complaining. Until the next big wave that is.

Edited by monika.goel - 18 March 2006 at 10:13pm
monika.goel IF-Stunnerz
monika.goel
monika.goel

Posted: 19 March 2006 at 1:41pm | IP Logged

Kya hoga Ekta ka?

Balaji's head honcho talks about her two new shows

Subhash K Jha

Ekta Kapoor

Television tycoon Ekta Kapoor is on a high. While her foray into non-fiction programming, Kandy Floss has created quite a stir, with her new serial Kya Hoga Nimmo ka starts today. The serial is momentous for Ekta because it is her first on Star One

"Kandy Floss is catty, but not bitchy. But the response has been overwhelming and now I'm charged about Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka. Pataa nahin kya hoga Ekta ka," she says. "Also, it's my first soap for the new channel on Star; therefore it has to work not just for Balaji but for the channel too. The show is funny, yet it isn't a comedy; it's got drama but no melodrama. I promise no one's going to die and come back later," Ekta says.

So, this show is going to be a far cry from her past productions. "Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka is my version of the fairy tale Cinderella. Nimmo is in many ways like me — she has simple dreams and is waiting for the pumpkin to turn into a stage coach. And yet Nimmo is rooted to her middle-class upbringing. Those who've accused me of getting stereo typed in my soaps will see that I've changed to another format. Nimmo sticks to my style and yet ventures into a new territory. I'd say it's my tribute to the working-class comedies made by Basu Chatterjee and Sai Paranjpe. But at the same time, Nimmo's family is nothing like the Viranis in Kyunkii Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi."

A couple of months ago, finding the actress to essay the role of Nimmo had involved a talent hunt. The search ended when they finalised on Sanjita after going through several applicants. "Sanjita has done a couple of films down South. She's new to Mumbai. As for Ejiaz Khan, he plays our Prince Charming in the serial and Navjot Singh Sidhu is the sutradhar, like the fairy godmother in Cinderella." 

As for being responsible for giving another fledgling channel a boost in the TRPs, Ekta says, "There're several other new soaps on the channel. Let's see if Nimmo helps them."

Talk veers to Ekta's other experiment, Kandy Floss. "In just a week's time Kandy Floss has ruffled quite a few feathers and it is going to get more irreverent. The interview with Sandhya Mridul and Rakhi Sawant was shocking. Kandy Floss isn't for the weak at heart. I guess Balaji is finally getting bold.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=19&am p;sectname=Television&sess=31800816

Edited by monika.goel - 19 March 2006 at 1:42pm
qazplm IF-Sizzlerz
qazplm
qazplm

Posted: 19 March 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged
Courtesy tv-fan

When kismat is bad...

Kya hoga is ladki ka…? She's clumsy, has a pitiable 'Kismat', luck almost never favours her, even dodges God when it comes to luck… Find out how she remains bubbly and confident at 10 PM, tomorrow.

After the stupendous success of shows like The Great Indian Laughter Challenge and Nach Baliye, STAR One brings you the biggest show to hit television screens - Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka (KHNK). Produced by Balaji Telefilms, KHNK will be aired on STAR One from Monday to Thursday at 10 PM, starting 20 March, 2006.

This half hour show, Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka, boasts of a spectacular star cast including the veteran telly actors like Dara Singh, Dolly Thakore, Bharati Achrekar, Sujata Mehta, Navneet Nishan and some of the popular stars such as Rakhi Tandon, Sanjit Bedi, Muni Jha, Eijaaz Khan and the protagonist Nimmo, played by the newcomer Sanjeeda. And that's not all… The surprise package comes in the form of Navjot Singh Sidhu in a never-seen-before avatar, as he plays GOD himself!

Ms. Shailja Kejriwal, Senior Creative Director, Star India Pvt. Ltd. says, "Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka will by far be one of our biggest launches this year. After the successful launch of shows like The Great Indian Laughter Challenge Dwitiya, D.O.N and other shows on the 'Fantastic Friday', we aim to create the same excitement with Kya Hoga Nimmo Kya on weekdays. Produced by Balaji Telefilms, the leaders in television programming, KHNK has one of the most promising star cast. Star TV's association with Balaji Telefilms has been a successful combination and we are thrilled to welcome them to be a part of the Star One family now!"

About
Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka is a Cinderella story of a middle class girl, Nimmo Mathuria, a girl who is very confident, bubbly and full of life! She is very content and satisfied with her life. But she is very clumsy as she trips often… breaks glasses quite often and gets into trouble. Nimmo accepts everything gracefully as part of her life.

Nimmo's family
Nimmo has a close-knit family that consists of her mother, Kantaben, two sisters Naina and Swati and her dad, Anand. Nimmo is closest to her dad. Comparatively, her two younger sisters Swati and Naina are very different… Naina wants to be a Miss India and marry a rich man, whereas Swati is highly practical, bold and wants to marry a guy who either has his own news channel or should have enough money to open one of his own! Nimmo's mother dreams of being a Page3 regular, but her father is a humble man and the closest to Nimmo.

To know more about characters in Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka, click here

Will Nimmo's luck finally change? Will she be able to carve a niche for herself in the Segal family and in Kunal's heart? To find out all this and more… Share a tear, few smiles and lots of laughter with Nimmo and her family on Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka, starting 20 March, 2006, Monday to Thursday at 10 PM on STAR One.

Go to top