Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

desihamesha

Goldie

desihamesha

Posted: 05 December 2011 at 10:32am | IP Logged
By Guneet Wadera - Filmicafe.com, 4 December 2011, Filmicafe.com
http://www.filmicafe.com/celebrity_interview_detail.php?interview_id=1267

Anushka Sharma is a cracker! A reservoir of immense talent and colossal potential awaiting the perfect opportunity to unload for an explosive outburst. Although she's fairly young in movie years with only five films under her belt - she has a charisma, a confidence and a seasoned acting ability which has been warmly embraced by audiences and critics alike. Irrefutably driven Anushka Sharma is determined to excel and she is here to stay.

Truly arriving as an actress of reckoning with her last and best thus far, Band Baaja Baaraat a sleeper commercial hit that has gone onto achieve cult status - Anushka now reunites with the same team, reloading for a romconning adventure where she faces off with con-artist Ricky Bahl played by her friendly rival Ranveer Singh - the sparks flew then and still continue to fly between them. In a candidly memorable conversation with Filmicafe, Anushka speaks her mind and shares her heart with us which she carries on her sleeve anyway. 

Q) So we've come full circle with Ladies Vs. Ricky Bahl, we first talked about it when you were in Toronto this June. How has the circle from Band Baaja Baaraat to Ladies Vs. Ricky Bahl been for you?

Anushka: It was very comforting to work with the same Band Baaja Baaraat team again so there was a lot of positive energy and vibes on set because we had recently received so much love and appreciation from people, so it was a constant celebration of that while filming.  

This time around with Ladies Vs. Ricky Bahl, we were trying to do a different film with a different story set in a different world but with the same people making the film which was challenging but at the same time also extremely exciting. 

I do feel in some way Band Baaja Baaraat is a monkey on our back because everyone is expecting another BBB. Ladies Vs. Ricky Bahl is nothing like Band Baaja Baaraat - the characters are very different, the story is very different and I don't think you'll see me and Ranveer the way you saw us in BBB but yes, we hope we've made another entertaining film that people enjoy.

Q) Your not one of the ladies, your definitely not Ricky Bahl so what makes being the 'versus' so intriguing?

Anushka: As the title of the film suggests, "Ladies" are the three girls Ricky Bahl is conning and the "versus" is me.  So there's the 3 ladies, there's Ricky Bahl and then there's the versus. 

Ricky Bahl, the con artist is just moving around his life thinking he can con anybody, anyhow, anywhere and then he meets his perfect match in Ishika Desai then comes about the tussle and fireworks that happen between the two of them. The one-upmanship between Ricky and Ishika is the entertaining and fascinating factor for me of playing the 'versus'. 

Q) We've seen the battle of the sexes on screen before what makes the Ishika Vs. Ricky duel differentially amusing?

Anushka: With the Ishika - Ricky tussle it is the fact that two people with the same level of smartness and intelligence are going after and trying to outdo each other which is thrilling. You are sitting literally at the edge of your seat wondering and wanting to know what happens next. He said this what is she going to come back with now or he did this how is she going to respond now, it's that constant jostling between them back and forth which is riveting.   

Q) Your character in the film, Ishika Desai is of an ambitious, street smart, ultimate Sales girl. How ambitious, street smart and chalak do you consider yourself to be?

Anushka: Ishika is very Chalak and quite shrewd just like a chameleon she keeps changing her colours in every situation. She's a normal Mumbai girl who can sell absolutely anything, so you could say she cons people in an innocent way. 

As for me I have absolutely zero street smarts (laughs), I wish I was slightly sharper in that sense but I'm too straightforward and frank to be street smart. I believe people who are street smart are a bit diplomatic and I have to say that's not me at all. I wish I was though I get into trouble for it sometimes because people can tend to misunderstand me. I could definitely do with a bit more of street-smartness.

I am extremely ambitious but I don't think you have to 'chalak' to be successful or get further. So what I've done is I have chosen scripts that I thought were right and good and I've worked on them with a lot of love, a lot of passion and a lot of honesty and touchwood they've done well and got me to this place in life. So I believe hardwork and good intentions also work equally well in fact better.

Q) One could draw similarities between Bulbul Singh from Badmaash Company and Ishika Desai in Ladies Vs. Ricky Bahl. So how similar or different is Ishika from Bulbul?

Anushka: Oh, Ishika and Bulbul are completely different characters. 

Badmaash Company was a coming of age film about these four characters while on the other hand Ladies Vs. Ricky Bahl is a con film, a romantic comedy which we're now calling a romcon - we've given it our own name (laughs). So in short there's no similarity in the story or between the characters themselves. 

Q) At the music launch, Ranveer said he's learned a lot about acting from you. What have you learned about yourself from working alongside him?

Anushka: Over time I've realized that Ranveer's school of acting is very different from mine so I've understood a great deal about my own form and way of acting because of him genuinely which is a bit strange but it's true. 

Ranveer is a complete method actor and I use to always wonder how does he do this and why I couldn't do what he is doing and why am I playing it a different way. So I think because we are so unlike each other we understand ourselves and each other better. 

Q) You've known and been friends with the Director Maneesh Sharma for a long time. How has your working equation and relationship with him evolved?

Anushka: Maneesh is someone I trust completely as a director and put my full faith in him when I signed on for this film. I knew he had given me Shruti Kakkar so he will give me another great character to work on. I have the highest respect for him and hold him in high regard - he truly is one of best directors in the country right now. His approach to directing is very unique, the nuances and subtleties he adds takes the film to a different level all together.

Inspite of him making a very slick stylish film he understands contemporary India and at the same time keeps the roots of his characters intact which is why his films are earthy and rooted and that's what makes his films special. 

Q) Let's play a bit of word association, so tell me the first thing that comes to mind when I say...

Aadat Se Majboor
Anushka: Ranveer

Thug Le
Anushka: Vaibhavi Merchant

Jigar Da Tukda
Anushka: I am my mom's Jigar Ka Tukda (laughs)

Jazba
Anushka: Maharashtra...India

Fatal Attraction
Anushka: Ricky Bahl and Ishika Desai

Q) Finally it's the age old debate, the ladies versus the men - who wins and who will lose this match?

Anushka: Ah! (laughs) You'll have to come to theatres on December 9th to see who wins this round.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "I am very ambitious but I'm not Chalak - Anushka" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

desihamesha

Goldie

desihamesha

Posted: 07 December 2011 at 7:43am | IP Logged
ANUSHKA Rocks!!! Big smileClapThumbs Up

Post Reply New Post

Go to top