Mythological Masti

Jaimineya Mahabharatha- Ashwamedhika Parva (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 6

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 6
Page 5 Page 6

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 06 April 2012 at 3:28am | IP Logged
While Krishna is having is meal, Bhima's arrival is announced. Krishna hastens to receive him and after embracing his cousin invites him to eat with him. Bhima formally presents Yudhishthira's invitation and immediately Krishna asks all the leading Yadavas, including his son Pradyumna and all the ladies of his household to start preparing for their journey to Hastinapur. 

Krishna (perhaps sensing that Balarama might not be too keen to visit Hastinapur) suggests that he and Vasudeva should remain behind to safeguard Dwaraka.

At noon Krishna, mounted on a white horse came out of the city and pointed his whip towards the path of Hastinapur. Every body followed him. He was accompanied not only by his family members and kinsmen but even all the citizens of Dwaraka. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nacShivangBuch.Vrish.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Jaimineya Mahabharatha- Ashwamedhika Parva (Page 4)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 06 April 2012 at 9:17pm | IP Logged
Did Bhima invite Ugrasena to Hastinapur as well, and did the latter attend?  B'cos in KMG, it's mentioned that near Dwarka, some of the Yadavas did capture the horse, and Arjun got Vasudev & Ugrasena to intervene so that he didn't have to go to war w/ them.

One would have thought that Ugrasena's attendance would have been necessary to indicate Dwarka's acceptance of Yudhisthir's overlordship, even if Ugrasena was known to be more of a de-jure king, and that Krishna was the one who mattered.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nacShivangBuch

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 06 April 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged
^^^^ Bhima must have presented the formal invitation to Ugrasena, but no, he is not mentioned as accompanying Krishna. It is Krishna who is the eldest in the party heading towards Hastinapur.

Archana.nacShivangBuch

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 07 April 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged
As the Yadavas journey towards Hastinapuram, the common folk are thrilled to be able to see and interact with  Krishna easily. A woman selling flowers comes and offers him a garland of rare and fragrant flowers, while another old lady comes with a jar of oil for Krishna so that he may be relieved from the pain caused by constantly being mounted on horseback. In each case Krishna, very graciously, gets down from his horse and accepts their  offerings.

Bhima who is observing all this, cannot contain himself anymore. Bursting into laughter he says "Oh mighty armed Krishna, it appears to me that you are the only husband for all this womenfolk. The ladies whether making garlands, or carrying oils, barber women or messenger women - all regard you more than their own husbands."  Bhima continues to laugh at his own joke.

Krishna, giving it back to Bhima, says " If you have virility enough, take all of them." Turning to an old toothless woman  Krishna says "It appears that my brother Bhimasena is jealous of me. Oh beautiful woman, better you go to his house." 

Bhima laughing even more uproariously answers "In my house there is a demoness wife who will expel her her out of the house - or worse eat her up. So it is better all the toothless women be your share. Your queens such as Rukmini have only you in their mind. Therefore there is no room for jealously among them. Jambhavanti and others too are free from malice. So please,- do one thing- take these women as well." 

Archana.nacShivangBuch

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 07 April 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged
Why did Krishna ride a horse?  Assuming that he had all his 16,108 wives and 161,080 sons w/ him, they could have come on more comfortable transport, such as chariots (w/ seats) or elephants.

Another thing - I know Balarama had his misgivings @ Bhima for the way Duryodhan was killed, but did he have any enmity w/ the rest of the Pandava clan?  Even then, he could have gone to Hastinapur and stayed exclusively w/ Dhritarashtra & Gandhari.

Bhima's joke about Hidimbi driving them out - I thought that Hidimbi never lived w/ Bhima in either Indraprastha nor Hastinapur.  Or else, she'd have prevented Draupadi from... oh, never mind! Evil Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 09 April 2012 at 8:03am | IP Logged
My replies in Blue

Originally posted by .Vrish.

Why did Krishna ride a horse?  Assuming that he had all his 16,108 wives and 161,080 sons w/ him, they could have come on more comfortable transport, such as chariots (w/ seats) or elephants.

No idea. You see, I was not present there and it is slightly too late to ask Jaimini himself. Tongue 

Another thing - I know Balarama had his misgivings @ Bhima for the way Duryodhan was killed, but did he have any enmity w/ the rest of the Pandava clan?  Even then, he could have gone to Hastinapur and stayed exclusively w/ Dhritarashtra & Gandhari.

Well, it not written explicitly that Balarama was cross with the rest of the Pandavas. Staying exclusively with D & G would not have been feasible. Yudhishthira would have felt offended, even rebuked and it would not have looked nice on Balarama's part either. Some tact is required when dealing with relations.

Bhima's joke about Hidimbi driving them out - I thought that Hidimbi never lived w/ Bhima in either Indraprastha nor Hastinapur.  Or else, she'd have prevented Draupadi from... oh, never mind! Evil Smile

That's what it exactly was - joke. Such interactions help us get an idea how the cousins interacted. Bhima never let Krishna forget that, as an elder brother he could pull Krishna's leg. Arjuna's behaviour towards Krishna, -as we will see later - was very deferential and respectful.

Edited by varaali - 09 April 2012 at 9:35am

Archana.nac.Vrish.

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged
On the second point above, I don't think Yudhisthir could have given Balarama the time of day, much less be offended.  As the emperor, he'd be up to his nose in yagna duties, and besides, would have to host and attend to all the rulers of the empire, not just Dwarka.  So had Balarama just met him on arrival and then gone to give D&G company, Yudhisthir would hardly have noticed.  If anything, he being Yudhisthir would have been thankful and relieved that Balarama was keeping both himself and D&G busy, rather than create any awkward moments w/ Bhima.

Archana.nacvaraali

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 14 April 2012 at 12:28pm | IP Logged
Moved to MM forum from DBSK

Edited by .Vrish. - 20 April 2012 at 6:40am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuch

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.