Mythological Masti

Jaimineya Mahabharatha- Ashwamedhika Parva (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 6

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 6
Page 4 Page 6

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 11 February 2012 at 1:36am | IP Logged
King Yauvanashva seems to be a man of instant decisions. He gives the impression of someone who takes decisions without giving them much thought. But he is also capable of giving another opposite decree almost immediately . When he decided to confront the Pandavas, he fought with his full might. Now,having accepted defeat, he undergoes a 180 degree conversion and becomes a whole-hearted  supporter of the yagna.  His ambivalent nature gives a comical touch

Bhima and his party are accorded a right royal welcome in Yauvanasva's capital, with the queen Prabhavati herself offering Aarti to them. 

The next day, the king,in a sudden burst of enthusiasm, issues orders that all inhabitants of his kingdom should proceed to Hastinapur. He instructs all the rich merchants / landlords to be ready to donate in large quantities for the yagna. AMongst them is a man called Sudeva. he goes home and informs his old mother of the king's order and asks her to prepare for the long journey. 

The old woman replies "Don't go there O son, don't unnecessarily spend money. I too will not go to Hastinapur. I regard all sacrifices as hoax and all brahmans as cheats. What are Vedas?- just some notes prescribing or forbidding certain things. Who will throw their hard earned money on such activities?."

SUdeva goes to the king and reluctantly informs him of his mothers' views. The king asks Sudeva to bring his mother to meet him.

When the old lady comes, the king gently advises her "O Honoured lady, all people are going to have darshan of Yudhishthira and Krishna. You too should come. The mere sight of Krishna with Rukmini and other venerable persons is enough t o wash away all sins. One should not have a second thought about coming. 

The old lady replies " O king I will not come. My money will be unnecessarily spent. My daughters -in - law who are cunning by nature will begin to assert their control over my house. The wheat crops are ripe in the fields and have to be harvested. Cows have to be milked and butter churned-If I am not around to supervise, the male and female servants will run away with the wheat and butter. I am the only responsible person to manage the household affairs. WHat have I to do with Krishna or Yudhishthira? Let them manage their affairs and let me manage mine. I would also advise you not to go. By going you will incur unnecessary expenditure, I have no doubt."

The old woman purses her lips and fold her hands defiantly . The king seizes the chance and catching hold of her , shackles her and puts her in a palanquin, paying no attention to her cries.

The king, conveniently forgetting his own nature, muses philosophically on Man's love for hoarding wealth. The huge party sets out for Hastinapur. After five days, they reach the outskirts of Hastinapur. Bhima gallops ahead to personally inform Yudhishthira of their arrival. After prostrating before his elder brother, Bhima announces that they had obtained the horse successfully .

Bhima then goes to meet Draupadi and she is concerned to see scars on his body. She tries to tend to his injuries, but Bhima asks her to get ready to receive Prabhavati and her retinue

Yudhishthia and Draupadi prepare to welcome King Yauvanasva and Queen Prabhavati.

Edited by varaali - 11 February 2012 at 3:32am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuch.Vrish.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Jaimineya Mahabharatha- Ashwamedhika Parva (Page 3)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 11 February 2012 at 4:41am | IP Logged
Couldn't the old lady have told the king that if she went, it would be @ his expense, and any losses that she incurred - her servants stealing her wealth, her bahus seizing power (wow!  the original dwapar yuga saas-bahu scripts ROFL) - would have to be compensated by him.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuch

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 11 February 2012 at 7:00am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Couldn't the old lady have told the king that if she went, it would be @ his expense, and any losses that she incurred - her servants stealing her wealth, her bahus seizing power (wow!  the original dwapar yuga saas-bahu scripts ROFL) - would have to be compensated by him.

It was the king's fiat that, not only  the travel costs would have to be borne by his subjects, but they should be ready to donate part of their wealth for the yagna. Hence the old woman's grouse. As for her insecurities concerning her bahus, even I found it funny.  Saases have not changed since Dwapar Yuga  (My grouse LOL) .

ShivangBuch.Vrish.

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 23 February 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged
Yudhishthira welcomes Yuavanasva and the Bhadravati king, on his part, is thrilled to meet Krishna. Yauvanasva and his son Suvega describe the exploits of Vrishketu which pleases Arjuna who then  hugs his nephew. All of them enter Hastinapur with the precious horse the protection of which is entrusted to Vrishketu.

However, the auspicious day of Chaitra Purnima passes, before they could get everything ready and begin the yagna. Krishna informs them that since the yagna is automatically stalled till the next year, he would like to return to Dwaraka and come back when the yagna is commenced. Yudhishthira gives him permission to leave and after taking Kunti's and Yudhisthira's blessings, Krishna departs for Dwaraka. In the meanwhile Yudhishthira gives orders for the Yagna Shala, mandapa, etc to be constructed as per Vyasa's instructions 

The next two chapters deal with Yudhishthira's questions and Vyasa's answer on various subjects- which I will skip for now..

When eleven months had passes, Yudhishthira asks Bhima to go to Dwaraka and present a formal invitation to the Ugrasen, Vasudeva and all the leading Yadavas. Relishing the prospect of meeting Krishna, Bhima obeys his brother with alacrtiy.

After journeying for several days, Bhima reaches the outskirts of Dwaraka. Jaimini describes how beautiful the city looked. Bhima enters the city through the western gate and arrives at Kruishna's palace just as Krishna was about to start his mid day meal attended by his mother and wives.

ShivangBuch.Vrish.

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 12:41am | IP Logged
I'm surprised that Yudhisthir sent Bhima, rather than Arjun, to Dwarka to invite Ugrasena, Vasudev, et al.  For one, Arjun was almost considered one of the Yadavas, thanks to his spending a good portion of his exile in Dwarka, and also, his marriage to Subhadra.  Before the war, it was Arjun who had been sent by Yudhisthir to solicit Krishna's support, but this time, Yudhisthir sent Bhima instead?

I'd be interested to know what interactions, if any, Bhima had w/ Balarama.  In the Vyasa MB, after Krishna had dissuaded Balarama from punishing Bhima for hitting Duryodhan on his thighs, Balarama noted that he'd always remember Duryodhan w/ pride, and be embarrassed about Bhima.  Indeed, in MB, IIRC, no mention is made of Balarama's activities during the yagna - when Krishna visited Hastinapur and saved Parikshit, Balarama seemed conspicuous by his absence.  I would guess that he bore a grudge against Bhima and therefore refused to have anything to do w/ the Pandavas.

Therefore, Bhima's interaction w/ Balarama would be interesting to read.  

So Vrishaketu was given the duties of protecting the horse?  Actually, in that case, Vrishaketu alone could have accompanied the horse, and if he was as able as Arjun (since the latter had trained him).

Forgot to ask you - does Jaimineya's work only have the Ashwamedhika parva, or do the next 4 parvas - Ashramavas parva, Mausala Parva and the rest also get included?

ShivangBuchvaraali

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 2:45am | IP Logged
KRISHNA'S  LUNCH    DESCRIBED Star Star Star Star Star 

The Golden plate of the Lord had sixty four cups into which different preparations were poured.
First Mother Devaki served:

Payasa with sugar white like the moon
Rice - the colour of which was like Kumuda flower
Moong Dal
Three different kinds of rice dishes flavoured with ginger, lemon juice and fruits
Different kinds of vegetables 
Chutneys spiced with black pepper, long pepper and ginger

Then Yashoda- yes- Yashoda is mentioned here- serves her son

Milk with sugar
Ghee with sugar 
Other milk dishes 

Then the Lord was served (most probably by his wives):

Puris
Mridvika ( a kind of red grapes), Simsupa (as pickles possibly)
Curries flavoured with black pepper, long pepper and cardamom
Rotis, round and looking like the moon, accompanied by
Honey  and ghee in golden cups

Now comes the dessert 

Sohalas,Puri Satachidra, Jalebis, Pupas along with Milk and curd
Mani, Sutra , Samgha, Malati  and Kusuma

( These, I presume, are names of sweets- I am unable to find their modern day names)

The Lord was also eating (Jaimini notes)

Papad made of Pumpkin seeds and grams
Vadas- of nine different types- Plain, i.e fried in oil,
                                                       Soaked in curd (orginal dahi vada)
                                                       Mixed with the juice of Tamarind and raw mango
                                                       Soaked in grape juice
                                                       Soaked in mustard water or in Sugar
                                                       Mixed with asafoetida, cumin black pepper and ginger, etc
Pickles which had been prepared in pure mustard oil mixed with salt and kept in jars for a minimum of three years

Is any meal complete without sweets?

Kanakas (burfis, I think) shaped like diamonds containing coconut pieces and cloves
Phenikas made of milk ghee and sugar
Pedas
Modaka ,(several varieties)
Ladoos (Nine different types)

Then the digestives:

Cucumber, 
Sweet neem
Cloves,
Fresh Kayaphala
Surana
Sindhuwara (orange)
Grapes
Jack fruit
Almond
Plantain

(Whew ! What a meal !!!!! Your comments please before I proceed further)

Edited by varaali - 24 February 2012 at 4:16am

ShivangBuch.Vrish.

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 5:29am | IP Logged
Gee, wonder whether he ever had any cholesterol problems?  Poor Bhima seems starved by contrast - no wonder that in DBSK, Krishna told Bhima that he looked famished LOL  Please tell me that Bhima joined him in this meal and had the lion's share, Evil SmileLOL since Bhima definitely seemed to on average have a good workout in comparison to Krishna.

Also, wouldn't one have the sweets @ the end?  I typically don't have any milk based sweets, and rarely have chutneys @ the end of a meal, but if someone asked me to have cucumbers or neem after having that, I'd be worse than a pre-teen w/ tantrums Evil Smile  

Rotis w/ honey?  Ghee w/ sugar? Shocked Sounds pretty conspicuously like a Gujarati dish to me (I was struck by how many regular food items, like rice, were sweet during the few months that I lived in Baroda years ago)

ShivangBuchvaraali

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Also, wouldn't one have the sweets @ the end?  

Serving / Eating sweets at the end is (I think) a western phenomenon. In a typical Indian feast, the first thing to be served is the Payasam / Kheer . I wonder if there are regional variations. 

Amongst South Indians (Tamils- to be specific) a small quantity of Kheer / Payasam is dropped on the plate / banana leaf before being followed by other items. Of course greater quantity of the same is served later on

I typically don't have any milk based sweets, and rarely have chutneys @ the end of a meal, but if someone asked me to have cucumbers or neem after having that, I'd be worse than a pre-teen w/ tantrums Evil Smile  

I don't think chutneys came at the end of Krishna's meal. They were served right at the begining. Cucumbers, etc (look at the rest of the items) were supposed to be digestives. Some of the items are still used even today to prepare herbal concoctions.

Rotis w/ honey?  Ghee w/ sugar? Shocked Sounds pretty conspicuously like a Gujarati dish to me (I was struck by how many regular food items, like rice, were sweet during the few months that I lived in Baroda years ago)

You 're saying this Vrish?Shocked Even Bengalis like to sweeten everything. LOL During my days in Kolkata, they could never fathom how we South Indians ate plain curd . It would always be Misti Doi  for them. LOL

ShivangBuch.Vrish.

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.