Mythological Masti

Jaimineya Mahabharatha- Ashwamedhika Parva (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 3 Page 6

ShivangBuch

Goldie

ShivangBuch

Posted: 29 January 2012 at 11:39pm | IP Logged
Superb!!!!ClapClap Reminded me of Kanhaiyalal Munshi's Bheem. This entire thread so far is also worth to be posted in Favourite Pandav Poll of MM forum. Thoroughly enjoyed like anything.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 29 January 2012 at 11:40pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Debipriya.Vrish.varaali

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Jaimineya Mahabharatha- Ashwamedhika Parva (Page 2)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 30 January 2012 at 2:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

Bhima replies " You need not worry Keshava. Let me first reply to your comments about me. You said that   said persons with big stomachs, like me, are gluttons and all gluttons are fools. It is quite correct, but these are characteristics I find in you too. The whole universe, all the devas and danavs, the eight directions, the ten adityas and the eleven rudras are all acommodated  in your mouth . A person with a bigger stomach was never on earth nor will be. Do you, then not feel ashamed to call me a big stomached fellow ? 

You said I have a demoness for a wife. But who else other than Madhava  will have the daughter of a bear for a wife (especially when he already has a queen like Rukmini? Who is more henpecked than you, who uprooted the Parijata tree  from Indra's garden and brought it to Dwaraka to please your wife? You always repose in the milky ocean, the house of your father-in-law, is that a commendable virtue?

Anyway, I have decided to do whatever it takes to make the Aswamedha Yagna as success. Why don't you speak encouragingly, instead of pointing out my defects?"

Krishna, enjoying Bhima's repartee, raises another question." Why does the king intend to do the Aswamedha yagna after getting the Kurus killed? If he feels that he has sinned by killing Bhishma, Drona and Karna let him offer it to me. I will destroy all his so called sins. Let him be completely free from sins."

Bhima answers " O krishna, it is common understanding that anything offered to you gets multiplied infinitely. The king will certainly not like to offer his share of sins. However he will certainly lay all the merits accrued out of this yagna at your feet."

Good thing that Jaimineya wasn't posting his work on I-F, or the mods would have cracked down on him Evil SmileLOL

Fantastic comment - equating Hidimbaa w/ Jambavati!  So was Bhima implying that Vishnu (he couldn't have been talking about Krishna) lived in the abode of Varuna?  I thought that Varuna implied sagar, whereas Vishnu lived on ksheersagar, which is in Vaikuntha, not Bhulok.

Originally posted by varaali

Bhima, tired of this pointless discussion, gets up and announces that he will go and obtain the horse, helped by Vrishaketu and Meghavarna.

The next day the first stage of the sacrifice gets under way with Bhima being ceremoniously sent off by Kunti and others. 

On the third day, they reach Bhadravati, the city ruled by King Yauvanashava. The city was beautiful and rivalled Amravati. The city was full of sacrificial smoke. No sound apart from the chanting of Vedas, or twanging of bows was audible.

The trio reach a grove, where, they knew (through spies sent earlier) that the horse would be brought around midday. They plan their strategy.

[to be cont'd - fighting starts ]

Where exactly is Bhadravati today?  Incidentally, the name Amaravati couldn't have existed then - it was at that time Kundinpur, which was Bheeshmaka's capital, until Rukmi abandoned it for Bhojakot

Edited by .Vrish. - 30 January 2012 at 2:49am

DebipriyaShivangBuchvaraali

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 31 January 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

So was Bhima implying that Vishnu (he couldn't have been talking about Krishna) lived in the abode of Varuna?  I thought that Varuna implied sagar, whereas Vishnu lived on ksheersagar, which is in Vaikuntha, not Bhulok.

Yes Bhima was referring to Vishnu.  Kshirsagar, is considered Lakshmi's maayka, (having been obtained from it). Lakshmi's epithets include Kshiraabdi kanya, Sagarakanya, etc.

DebipriyaShivangBuch.Vrish.

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 31 January 2012 at 12:33am | IP Logged

Where exactly is Bhadravati today?  Incidentally, the name Amaravati couldn't have existed then - it was at that time Kundinpur, which was Bheeshmaka's capital, until Rukmi abandoned it for Bhojakot

The commentator's note says Amravati- Indra's heavenly capital.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Debipriya

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 31 January 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged

One thing - Vrishaketu didn't have any residual resentment towards Kunti & the Pandavas for the deaths of his father & brothers?  Or did he get past that in Jamineya's Stri-parva?  I find it interesting in the above description that he simply volunteered to accompany Bhima, and wasn't sulking in grief or anger.  I'd have thought that he'd at least have been resentful @ Kunti, if not the Pandavas.

No, Vrishketu seems to have accepted the present situation. Whatever may have been his private grief, he had come to terms with the fact that those who sided with Duryodhana perished, his father being no exception. 

Practically also it made sense for him to ally with his uncles, since 
a) they were more than ready to make amends for their part in bereaving him  and 
b) the Pandavas were the supreme power at that time.

DebipriyaShivangBuch.Vrish.

ShivangBuch

Goldie

ShivangBuch

Posted: 31 January 2012 at 10:54pm | IP Logged
^^Certainly. Vrishketu having love for/acceptance of Pandavas is perfectly understandable. In fact he having love for them seems to be my first imagination than he having any feeling of resentment. We have so many more examples in our epics too. Angad, Magadhking Sahadev, Dhishtketu. I don't know about Paundrak, Vajranabh or Shrungal's sons in authentic stories if any. Firstly, their fathers did the wrong or sided the wrong and secondly their fathers' enemy gave them the shelter/love/guidance/power/honour. So why would they not respond? What's the fault of their fathers' enemy? Moreover they were also the relatives. Reminded me the movie Spiderman 3 (more contemporary generation example) in which Harry comes to know about the fact that Peter killed his father only accidentally and in self defense.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 31 January 2012 at 11:19pm

Debipriya.Vrish.varaali

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 01 February 2012 at 1:14am | IP Logged
Chapter IV

While Vrishaketu, Bhima and Meghavarna lay waiting, the multi colored horse made its appearance.It was decorated very beautifully, protected by thousands of soldiers. It was preceeded by priests, offering it sandal paste and kumkum, dhoopa and deepa. The air was rent with the sounds of mantras and  musical instruments, roars of warriors and trumpeting of elephants. The author says that since the horse was to be blessedwith the darshan of Krishna in future, it was already being worshiped so honourably. 

Meghvarna, ready and eager to plunge into battle, informs Bhima that he will make the first attempt to catch the horse. He makes a skyward leap and with this asuri maya shakti , creates darkness accompanied by thunder and lightening. The darkness was so great that the heavenly chariots of the devas could not move about. One of the Devas approached Indra and reported that an asura with evil intentions was creating chaos with his maya. Indra, ever worried about the security of his throne, sends a messenger to inquire who Meghvarna was. Meghvarna, replied  that he was the grandson of Bhima and Hidimbaa, and stated his purpose, adding that Indra can peacefully relax on his throne. Indra, happy that he did not have to contend with yet another asura, and other devas began gathering on the sidelines, cheering Meghavarna. 

Meghavarna, made a downward swoop towards the place where the horse was tethered, and creating a tempest which threw the soldiers into disarray, fled upwards with the horse.

Once the confusion abated, the soldiers saw Meghvarna and the horse stationed somewhere in the sky and began showering him with arrows.

By this time, news of the surprise attack reached Yauvanasva and he dispatched four thousand 
chariot warriors. Meghavarna throwing rocks on them, killed some of them. 

Seeing all the action, Vrishketu began getting restless as he too wanted to be in the thick of the battle. Offering pranam to Bhima, Vrishketu marched on foot to where the battle was taking palce and began showering arrows on the enemy soldiers. So intense was his attack that the enemy dispersed.

Meanwhile, Yauvanasva personally comes to the batllefield. Bhima wants to fight him personally, but Vrishketu would have none of that. Obtaining a promise from Bhima that he (Bhima) would enter the batlle only when Vrishketu was incapacitated , the son of Karna marched forward, 

Somewhere in the course of battle, Vrishketu falls unconcious. Bhima jumps in the fray fiercely attacking Yauvansva, By this time, The king's son Suvega also arrives to assist his father and he too is attacked by Bhima.

Vrishaketu recovers consciousness  and aims five sharp arrows at Yauvanasva which makes the king faint. Bhima meanwhile overcomes Suvega.

When the king recovers, he accepts defeat and offers to surrender the horse. Bhima, in turn, invites the king along with his family to Hastinapur .

Edited by varaali - 01 February 2012 at 1:14am

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

DebipriyaArchana.nac...Hemangi.Vrish.Aradhana87

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged
Varaali

Please continue.  I've changed pg 1 to pull in all the interesting topics, since we've not seen those in a while.  Let's discuss the real stories there, as opposed to the serial.

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.