Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Is Garima the connection between Arshi's past? - Page 5

Opti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: serialjunkie

yes, the coincidences are already weaved into the story. This is my opinion of how the story should be, it may not win popularity contest but it is what I think IPKKND should do. CVs can and will do whatever it takes to make their TRPs, so i not delusional to think that anything will change. In fact, I get tired of watching over dramatization in Indian soaps after a while and have not typically stayed with any show for more than a year when CVs start cooking up bizarre story lines to keep interest up.

Right now there is very little sleaze in the show, yet we all collectively find it very gripping and interesting, isn't it?

I think we have already have a big sleaze ball in Shyam but I dont think the Shyam factor alone can see the show for long.

That tells me, if the CVs focus on ARHI relationship and the complexities of their relationship, the evolution of their love story, they will succeed in creating a gripping story. Sure, Arnav's past has to be revealed to show how deeply that has affected his psyche and general attitude towards loving a middle-class girl. But that can be done without weaving a melodramatic story of khushi's past into his past. Arnav's past can be independent of khushi's past and yet have the crushing effect of challenging their relationship. Or is it asking too much of CVs to give us a nuanced and layered story?

I agree that their two pasts can be standalone and not necessarily connected to each other and their complex characters alone can make for a gripping story. But then going by the initial promos, they seem to imply that their past are interconnected.  Unless they change track now, their inter-connectedness may crop up later in the show.  I personally feel that the CVs should stick to their original story, whatever that might be, without bothering about the trps because whatever they had visualised would be keeping in view the broader canvass.  If they keep tinkering with the original plot in order to suit the tastes of people they will be left with a dish no one will find palatable.  If the original plot is not to the liking of the people they would not have hooked up to the show in the first place.  So I would say, stick to your plot and see it through till the end. Minor tinkering here and there is fine but major deviation can confuse the CVs who are writing (hope the same team continues till the end) and ruin the plot.

It will be so easy for Arnav to hate Khushi especially if their pasts are somehow intertwined. But it will also be cliched, old-school and yes sleaze if it involves Garima somehow. The next level of story telling is to make Arnav hate Khushi because he is projecting his "independent" past on to her and eventually, but slowly, coming to realization of the unfairness of his actions and recognizing the virtues of Khushi and falling in love with her for her.

As I said, their interconnectedness is not something I came up with.  It was part of the initial plot.  I don't think it needs to be sleazy if it involves Garima, especially if she is a victim on circumstances and was not actually involved in the so-called affair.  I think Arnav is already projecting his past on Khushi, the way he is acting now.  He has become cynical about love and is avoiding Khushi because  of his past.  He will have to eventually realise the unfairness of it all, one way or other.

Again, this is my opinion, and I do feel creating unnecessary coincidences and connections just makes the story cliched.

The show is already full of co-incidences and connections.  I'm surprised you still feel it is gripping inspite of it and fear it will be less gripping if their pasts are interconnected.   Personally I dont think the show is cliched so far (except for the dupatta flying, tripping and eye-locking) nor do I think it will get cliched in future.  Even it is cliched the treatment of the story can make all the difference.

Btw, i dont mean to offend anyone, so if my opinions come on too strong, just bear with me. I just feel that Indian serials make so many cross-connections, wrong numbers, missed calls and dropped connections, my head starts reeling. For once, i just want a pure love story, totally driven by the inner conflicts and personality traits of the leads and not by the coincidental/circumstantial forces.

No offense taken. I hope you can bear my strong rejoinder too.  If you wanted just a pure love story, I'm afraid this is not the show. Already a lot of coincidental/circumstantial forces have been thrown in and more may come.  Indian shows are entrenched in family and religion/customs.  If it is not your cup of tea then you need to stick to the western shows (not all of which are sans sleaze by the way).  As to the inner conflicts and personality traits I think whatever they are showing happening between Arshi is just that but Indian shows run for two-three years. They cannot just show the personality differences for such a long period. Hence the rest of the paraphernalia has to be added.

Edited by Opti - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

serialjunkie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
No offense taken this side either. As I mentioned, I drop watching most shows after they pass their one year mark precisely because the shows tend to start delving into cliched story lines.

For now, this story is gripping enough with a few peppering of coincidences, albeit necessary to move the story ahead (for instance, khushi meeting Arnav in Delhi, necessary because the leads need to meet to have a love story) but beyond that, they can easily carve a story line that relies on the individual and personal flaws of lead characters, flaws that were created by their pasts and being brought out in its worst form when they are together.

the true love story will begin when one becomes the catalyst for the others healing. Now, CVs can choose to do what they want, thats their choice, I do know what I want and when the story stops going in that direction, I will have the choice to decide whether to continue watching it or abandoning it altogether.

Seriously, i don't watch any TV other than perhaps one serial at any given time. IPKKND is that one serial I watch now, and if a better one comes along, i will move on. As for western TV, I agree resoundingly that its a sleaze fest through and through. Other than Meet the Press and a Fareed Zaccharia show or some shows in Food Network/HGTV TV, some incisive shows here and there, I find most entertainment fodder pander to the basest of human emotions - even the local news creates unnecessary sensationalism. I stick to a very limited repertoire of news shows that are truthfully and ethically delivered and typically am not able to see most western soaps, shows or serials. I watch Numbers because the mathematical approach intrigues me, but that too can get sleazy at times but its a crime show, so i am not shocked to see immorality and dishonesty weaved into the story. Same goes for CSI.

In any case, the point is not whether I should be directed to watch Western TV. The point is that CVs can resort to a higher plane of story telling by sticking to personality traits of the characters. And if the story cannot be moved because its gotten stuck at that point, then they should stop the show at that point. Commercial aspirations wont let them and i know I am in the minority with this thought process.

I think i am agreeing to disagree with the CVs on this piont, and they will pull it off, good for them! Like you said, it will stop being my cup of tea and at that point I will decide whether to watch because i am hopelessly addicted to a Mr. Barun Sobti or move on.

Opti thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: serialjunkie

No offense taken this side either. As I mentioned, I drop watching most shows after they pass their one year mark precisely because the shows tend to start delving into cliched story lines.

Dont worry, if at all there is an interconnected past, I dont think it will surface in the near future.  The plate is already full as it stands now. 

For now, this story is gripping enough with a few peppering of coincidences, albeit necessary to move the story ahead (for instance, khushi meeting Arnav in Delhi, necessary because the leads need to meet to have a love story).
I wouldn't say that is the only co-incidence in the show so far.  Did they not show Shyam saving Khushi's honour in Lucknow and ending up as a PG in her house?  He also happens to be the husband of the woman who gave her the job in KM. So not only is Arnav thrown in Khushi's company but Shyam is as well.  A lot of melodrama is there in store for us with this factor alone.

but beyond that, they can easily carve a story line that relies on the individual and personal flaws of lead characters, flaws that were created by their pasts and being brought out in its worst form when they are together. the true love story will begin when one becomes the catalyst for the others healing.

Whatever is currently happening to Arshi is exactly that.  Arnav's reaction to Khushi is related to his past.  I wish they show more about his past than that one flashback of his mom running away. Maybe as his feelings for Khushi strengthen, there might be some introspection on his part which will trigger more memories than that one incident.

Now, CVs can choose to do what they want, thats their choice, I do know what I want and when the story stops going in that direction, I will have the choice to decide whether to continue watching it or abandoning it altogether.

I agree with you there.
  One can always switch to some other show if one does not like what one sees.

Seriously, i don't watch any TV other than perhaps one serial at any given time. IPKKND is that one serial I watch now, and if a better one comes along, i will move on. As for western TV, I agree resoundingly that its a sleaze fest through and through. Other than Meet the Press and a Fareed Zaccharia show or some shows in Food Network/HGTV TV, some incisive shows here and there, I find most entertainment fodder pander to the basest of human emotions - even the local news creates unnecessary sensationalism. I stick to a very limited repertoire of news shows that are truthfully and ethically delivered and typically am not able to see most western soaps, shows or serials. I watch Numbers because the mathematical approach intrigues me, but that too can get sleazy at times but its a crime show, so i am not shocked to see immorality and dishonesty weaved into the story. Same goes for CSI.

In any case, the point is not whether I should be directed to watch Western TV. The point is that CVs can resort to a higher plane of story telling by sticking to personality traits of the characters. And if the story cannot be moved because its gotten stuck at that point, then they should stop the show at that point. Commercial aspirations wont let them and i know I am in the minority with this thought process.

Yes, one has a plethora of shows to choose from and one can do so depending on what is his/her interests. The limited point I was making is that this show already came with much more than personality traits on its platter and to be fair one cant stretch the show for two years or more only on the basis of differences in personality traits. At best that can be explored for a yer or so.  I am of the opinion that shows (especially love stories) should not stretch beyond a year because there is not much else one can narrate without making it a ridiculous fest. I am also aware that given the reality of shows on Indian T.V., that would be a wishful thinking because everyone wants to stay as long as they can. That is why if they have come up with the canvass large enough to accommodate future plots without making the story sound ridiculous, I will support it.  As I said much depends on how they narrate the story.

I had recently watched an intriguing and different show on this same channel called Gulaal.  The theme of the show would come under what you would classify as sleaze. The female lead is widowed because of the lust of her husband's cousin brother.  She wanted to remain faithful to her husband's memory but also wanted to stay on as the daughter-in-law of the house because of her husband's wish that she keeps the family (which is a large joint family) bound together. So she does not reveal the cousin's true face to the family but lets him know what she thinks of him. She also ends up marrying the twelve year old brother of the husband (to protect the young boy, whose life is in danger because of the greed of the killer cousin's elder brother  and also avoid marrying the lustful cousin). She intended to free him from the bonds of marriage once he turns an adult. The lustful cousin turns into a reformed man seeing the strength of character of this woman and fulfills all the duties the dead son of the house was supposed to fulfill.

The woman, in the meantime, encourages the fondness that an orphan girl, who is raised by her sister-in-law
, develops for her boy-husband so that she can get her boy-husband married to this girl once he grows up. However, fate has different plans. The boy-husband who is sent away to a boarding to complete his education returns back as an adult and develops very strong feelings for the woman who denounces it because of her fierce loyalty to her husband and also because she feels it is not fair for the young man to waste away his life with a much older woman.  She also feels guilty for having encouraged the feelings of that orphan girl.  The young man is very persistent though and they show how he develops into a matured man from a stubborn and willful young lad who cannot take no for an answer. He remains a support to the woman without demanding anything in return.  

Although the orphan girl was initially heart broken, she finds a suitable match.
In the meantime the truth about the lustful cousin comes out and her in-laws banish her from their house for having hidden the truth for so long. The family get broken up because of the harshness of the truth.The lustful cousin (who is reformed now) gives himself up to the police and serves a jail sentence before being reunited with his family.  The family finally come to know why she had kept the secret of the lustful cousin for so long and will accept her. The woman herself finally accepts the feelings she herself has unknowingly developed for her young husband and reunites with him.  This convoluted story which has some radical thoughts was gripping because of the tight narration, some hard hitting dialogues and excellent acting by the entire crew. 

I have not seen a show which had excelled in every dept as this one did.  That is why I feel it all depends on the narration and execution. Even a so called cliched or radical theme can be made gripping. 

I think i am agreeing to disagree with the CVs on this piont, and they will pull it off, good for them! Like you said, it will stop being my cup of tea and at that point I will decide whether to watch because i am hopelessly addicted to a Mr. Barun Sobti or move on.

Shidev.Soniak thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
When it was shown that garima is payal's step mom. How garima is connected to Arshi's past. I dont think it will happen.
Opti thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Aki_spAki_sp

When it was shown that garima is payal's step mom. How garima is connected to Arshi's past. I dont think it will happen.

Garima is Payal's step mom as per this official character sketch of Shashi put out by the channel.

http://starplus.startv.in/characters.aspx?sid=124Edited by Opti - 12 years ago
..Anita.. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
great post!!!
i loved all the points that you made
i think she will be the one to ruin arhi's relationship once they are in love.  i mean the tag line of the show is nafrat paas anne na de mohabaat dor janne na de...maybe that would be another hate track in the making for arhi
Edited by anita_21492 - 12 years ago
serialjunkie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Hi Opti - you may be right about Garima being the source of ARHI past. I read the character sketch in star plus site and this is what they say about her :-
Garima is Khushi and Payal's mother. She is somebody who considers self respect and family honour topmost. Fear of infamy haunts her, as she has gone through that ordeal when she was a young woman.

ugh! im cringing reading the description! (o heavens help me if i have to abandon this show for my sanity!!)

MarkZingerBurgr thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 8
This content was originally posted by: Opti

Wow, I like this plot. 

๐Ÿ‘
gkoolans thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: shtl_l

instead of linking arnav's father with a girl...wht if the story is like arnav's father was driving the car and in saving khushi's life on the road he went and hit her parents...so khushi's parents died on the spot...or maybe his dad also died on the spot...hearing arnav's father's death...mayb his mother went and committed suicide...

well...had that been the case then ASR would n't have been so against lower middle class mind set. he is constantly ridiculing KKg for her background and i feel that it is more than just the accident thing...it is more involved...scandalous and 'affairified'.
anusha.cochin thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
But Arnav hates his dad...so chances r der for an extramarital relationship of his dad...may b his dad was innocent and Arnavs uncle made all believe so ...so dat uncle can ruin their family and capture their asset...Arnavs mother believed the gossips about her husband and committed suicide...,,

May be Garima is d person whose name linked up with his dads...but if so y Garima not recognizing  Arnavs family???      But CV'S wil bring a twist when Garima c Arnavs parents pic...๐Ÿ˜‰

Kushi tuk almost 6months 2 c shyams pic on dat house...so it  wil take more than 1 year for all 2 know their link in d past

Anyways i too think der is sum link between their past...dats y cv's not mentioning about their background in detail...2 give us twist ๐Ÿ˜Š