Debate Mansion

Why are women discriminated n unfairly treated ? (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 8

Page 1 Page 6
Page   of 8
Page 8 Page 8

souro

souro

Posted: 23 February 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged
I was not surprised with the police being doubtful of that incident, afterall 5 people raping a 6th person inside one moving car makes it one real big car.
However, the reactions of the politicians were totally mind boggling. Trying to tarnish the govt's image, a divorcee mother partying till late in the night is of questionable character, I guess only politicians can come up with such strange excuses.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadNitrate

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Why are women discriminated n unfairly treated ? (Page 7)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 23 February 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged

I am not sure what the rape investigation procedure is in India. The first order of procedure in any rape report is to take the victim to a hospital and have a medical professional take a rape kit. Collect any body fluids or possible DNA samples, scan fingernails for scratched skin or grabbed fibers, photograph and document any bruising, scarring or injuries. Then a specially trained officer is supposed to ask relevant investigation questions once the medical staff says the victim is ready for questioning. Usually these officers are trained in empathy skills and also trained to try and catch whether a person is trying to fabricate a rape or incoherent due to trauma.

Even if the police believe the person reporting a crime is fabricating the crime, they are supposed to be objective, question for facts and draw conclusions after full investigations. It is normal procedure to ask details, even very uncomfortable details on the actual rape. It is also normal to ask the timeline of events and detailed narration;  however, asking questions like 'would you go there with me?' and 'why did you take the ride' are improper character evidence that is inadmissible. Usually such questions are the ones a defense attorney brings up and usually needs to show that these questions are relevant to the facts of the case and the presiding judge approves. So the behavior of the cops is still boggling to me. 

be-happy-always

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 23 February 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I am not sure what the rape investigation procedure is in India. The first order of procedure in any rape report is to take the victim to a hospital and have a medical professional take a rape kit. Collect any body fluids or possible DNA samples, scan fingernails for scratched skin or grabbed fibers, photograph and document any bruising, scarring or injuries. Then a specially trained officer is supposed to ask relevant investigation questions once the medical staff says the victim is ready for questioning. Usually these officers are trained in empathy skills and also trained to try and catch whether a person is trying to fabricate a rape or incoherent due to trauma.

Even if the police believe the person reporting a crime is fabricating the crime, they are supposed to be objective, question for facts and draw conclusions after full investigations. It is normal procedure to ask details, even very uncomfortable details on the actual rape. It is also normal to ask the timeline of events and detailed narration;  however, asking questions like 'would you go there with me?' and 'why did you take the ride' are improper character evidence that is inadmissible. Usually such questions are the ones a defense attorney brings up and usually needs to show that these questions are relevant to the facts of the case and the presiding judge approves. So the behavior of the cops is still boggling to me. 

the problem is intentional delay in the procedure. the rape occured on5th feb, the victim went to police on 9th feb, the police did not take any heed and registered the case only on 10th feb. The victim was sent for test on 14th february and even though the report was prepared on thge day police came to collect it on 16th february. 
I dont know about other countries, in India, the rule stays the vixtim has to be questioned only by a female police personnel and has to be accompanied by a female for the tests. neither was done.  Not to mention, as the victim was waiting in the waiting room to know the status of the complaint,  the officers in charge were actually passing snide remarks about why a mother of 2 would go to the  pub at those hours of night.

There is nothing mind boggling about the cops, Its India, victims here do not get justice until they have strong political connections. rape victim, even if she is an innocent girl of 15 is looked upon even by the people of uniform as a willing participant. That the lady was 37,  mature enough to track the assiialants herself, go to press with her story has helped create a media storm that eventually triggered things in motion. Not to mention two very strong dedidated and honest people determine to play by the rules when their superior was busy dismissing the complaint helped the whole thing.
most of the time the victim languishes in self pity and life long trauma.
And even now the rightful officers are facing retribution from the saree clad megalomaniac whom we trusted to bring change. But app painting old heritage buildings blue and playing rabindrasangeet in busstop is as much as we are about to get
please go through the following link to get a gist of the whole episode,more news can be found out googling

sorry, this episode has disturbed me terribly, and i just cannot stop thinking about it. That woman has two teenaged daughters. my mother could have been her, my aunts could have been her.
I could have been her or my sister. I just cannot get over the callousness and irresponsible behvaiour of all those who are entrusted with power to protect us.

Edited by Tannistha - 23 February 2012 at 1:43pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

be-happy-alwaysRehanism

ANNMT

Goldie

Posted: 23 February 2012 at 2:15pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

RehanismSummer3

Rehanism

IF-Dazzler

Rehanism

Posted: 23 February 2012 at 5:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Tannistha

why does something tell me the culprits are all well connected with ruling party and probably are large contributors to party fund and the same ol political game is being played out here too.

Sometimes i feel so angry at how our system never changes, never ever works well.

Exactly!! Why else would the CM and her cronies be so defensive from the beginning..How on earth can this case malign the "government's image", as Mamata claimed, unless the culprits are connected to her party?

I always thought Mamata was a bit over-sentimental but still an efficient leader, and my respect for her increased manifold after the way she personally handled the AMRI incident, but this case has made me rethink my opinions!! My mother is a staunch supporter of Didi and she too thinks that the woman is to be blamed in the first place..I had a heated row with her last week. We live in such a stupid and close-minded society!! I wonder if there will ever be any REAL 'Poriborton' or just occasional chehara-poriborton and party-poriborton..Angry

And yeah, please learn martial arts.Thumbs Up That helps a lot in increasing a woman's self-confidence and makes her less dependent on male support, besides training her for self-defense.

Edited by Rehanism - 23 February 2012 at 6:29pm

ANNMTLeadNitrate

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 23 February 2012 at 11:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rehanism

Originally posted by Tannistha

why does something tell me the culprits are all well connected with ruling party and probably are large contributors to party fund and the same ol political game is being played out here too.

Sometimes i feel so angry at how our system never changes, never ever works well.

Exactly!! Why else would the CM and her cronies be so defensive from the beginning..How on earth can this case malign the "government's image", as Mamata claimed, unless the culprits are connected to her party?

I always thought Mamata was a bit over-sentimental but still an efficient leader, and my respect for her increased manifold after the way she personally handled the AMRI incident, but this case has made me rethink my opinions!! My mother is a staunch supporter of Didi and she too thinks that the woman is to be blamed in the first place..I had a heated row with her last week. We live in such a stupid and close-minded society!! I wonder if there will ever be any REAL 'Poriborton' or just occasional chehara-poriborton and party-poriborton..Angry

And yeah, please learn martial arts.Thumbs Up That helps a lot in increasing a woman's self-confidence and makes her less dependent on male support, besides training her for self-defense.

We did not have the fight at home, because of me and my sister.But however i strongly pointed their faith towards this party. Infact me and my dad have heated discussion over them eternally voting for congress and for the state ever since its inception trinamool.
I hate it that the root of everything has to be the woman is this and woman is that.
have you read the news of a 17 yr old student being gang raped in falta? She was waiting in the bus stop on her way back to school? So that's her fault too? so what lets get back to middle ages, keep the girls in their houses and stop educating it.
We are regressing so fast, but why the hell are we not regressing back to anytime  upto 4th century AD,the glorious past we all shout out the best we can?

be-happy-always

Goldie

be-happy-always

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 1:23am | IP Logged
@Summer3:
Your posts have been really appreciable every time...again 'nice postSmile'

Well,I feel this depends upon different nations n different perceptions people have in different parts of the world.
I'm an Asian by birth...though i don't live there now but i know my own country too has every possible phase for women - some consider women - the strongest ; some consider them the weakest; some consider them Goddess; some consider them burden, some are begging before God to bless them with a sweet lil' girl child; some contribute to female-foeticide   ...

Actually, I feel that women are much more stronger than men emotionally...
they can live with much higher power of toleration n mental strength than men if needed!
n when needed, they can go upto the highest unexpected or unbelievable level of strength (both mentally as well as physically)!

well, i think it does depend upon the upbringing . . . if from the very beginning of their lives, women are brought up n nurtured in an independent n female-encouraging atmosphere, they would never ever think of getting suppressed by men!
and if brought up in the male-dominating society, they won't fight for themselves , or justify themselves and most importantly, they won't even respect men!!!!!

As per your question,"Is there any reason why women are discriminated and unfairly treated in many countries."  I think everything depends upon the nations' social, cultural n political aspects...
had there been leaders who would have fought for the rights of women, had there been women who would have been taught how to treat with problems arising in male-dominating society - I think such painful situations would have been minimized to nothing till date!

I think women just need a lil' bit of knowledge of how strong they can be n how independent they can be!

Well, I think men n women can live happily together in a society only if both of them respect each other.

So I think women need to stand for themselves or else if they can't do anything, they should rather die than living life like hell! God watches everything n will definitely support you if you do something justified for yourself.

Edited by be-happy-always - 24 February 2012 at 1:42am

Summer3

be-happy-always

Goldie

be-happy-always

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged

Women cannot be considered weak in any part of this world!!WinkBig smile

Edited by be-happy-always - 24 February 2012 at 1:27am

Summer3

Post Reply New Post