Armu4eva

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 8:16pm | IP Logged
>>

Suddenly, old is gold on telly

• December 3, 2011 
  • By A. L. Chougule
Ram Kapoor and Sakshi Tanwar set the trend with Bade Acche Lagte Hai
Ram Kapoor and Sakshi Tanwar set the trend with Bade Acche Lagte Hai

Television continues to be dominated by young faces, newcomers in the 18 to 22 age group, most of them in lead roles.

But now, one can spot a growing number of actors in their 30s playing lead roles. They may look like an unusual sight in the sea of chic young faces, but these 30-plus actors are hogging as much of the limelight as their young counterparts.

Pushed to the back-burner because of the channels' preference for newcomers, till recently most of these seasoned actors were either out of action or forced to play cameos and host non-fiction shows. This change has come about largely due to the success of Bade Achhe Lagte Hain, which brought back Ram Kapoor and Sakshi Tanwar as a vintage pair who fall in love.

Now, the old familiar faces are back. Shweta Tiwari, who was doing stand-up comedy after winning the Bigg Boss 4 title, and the almost forgotten Rupali Ganguly, have returned to daily soaps in lead roles in Parvarish. Sameer Soni, who was Shweta's co-contestant in Bigg Boss but had stayed away from serials for over a decade, is playing the protagonist in Parichay.

Mohnish Behl, who has not been very active on television after his debut show Sanjeevani seven years ago, is making waves as Dr Ashutosh in Kuch To Log Kahenge. Narendra Jha and Shubhangi Atre, who enjoyed success earlier in Jai Hanuman and Kasturi respectively are the central characters in Havan.

Will the trend contnue? "It's difficult to say but good actors are always in demand," says Hiten Tejwani who recently replaced Sushant Singh as Manav in Pavitra Rishta. Incidentally, Hiten played cameos and character roles for two years and hosted Ratan Ka Rishta after enjoying mega success with Kutumb, Kyunki and Kasauti. He, however, adds that he had no issues playing cameos.

Staying away from serials was a conscious decision on Shweta's part. "I was offered a lot of roles but nothing was really worth taking a call on. But now things are changing as channels are experimenting with different subjects. I have no problem playing a mother as I have done it before with actors older than me," says Shweta.

Ronit Roy, the only actor who has survived the onslaught of newcomers by doing shows like Bandini and Adalat, is of the view that seasoned actors will never fade out.

"The advantage with experienced actors is that they bring maturity and a certain calibre which lends credibility to the show," he says.

Producer Rajan Shahi agrees, "The problem with newcomers is that they all look and act the same. As TV heads towards a new trend, the standard of acting improving with more older actors returning."

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

pranita1202hamzanuhaOlicityFanswethasyam08nycsweetieromiosugar1ashajprerna4rishavSamraat_92Zari_Khan

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "DC: Suddenly, Old is gold on TV" in Nayi Umr Nayi Chunauti - Parvarrish - Agla Padav forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

prerna4rishav

IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 03 December 2011 at 5:09am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

pranita1202jakther7swethasyam08YusBeeSamraat_92

jakther7

IF-Rockerz

jakther7

Posted: 03 December 2011 at 5:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by prerna4rishav

Rajan Sahi's comment was the BEST ROFL All new-comers look and act same Silly Even then I find this Kritika Kamra and Ragini Khanna awesome amongst them !! Thumbs Up

Anyways.. Seasoned actors are best ! Like RR said, they can put LIFE to the characters !! Smile
100% right, Agree with u

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

pranita1202prerna4rishav

OlicityFan

IF-Rockerz

OlicityFan

Posted: 03 December 2011 at 8:04am | IP Logged

Rajan Sahi's comment was the BEST ROFL All new-comers look and act same Silly 

this applies to most of the newcomers...except a very few in my opinion!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

pranita1202

pranita1202

Goldie

pranita1202

Posted: 03 December 2011 at 8:06am | IP Logged

Rajan Sahi's comment was the BEST ROFL All new-comers look and act same Silly Even then I find this Kritika Kamra and Ragini Khanna awesome amongst them !! Thumbs Up

Anyways.. Seasoned actors are best ! Like RR said, they can put LIFE to the characters !! Smile

Thumbs Up apt but i like to dristi dhami too

Samraat_92

IF-Stunnerz

Samraat_92

Posted: 03 December 2011 at 12:20pm | IP Logged
Thankzz alooot 4 sharing dis amazing article..Hug

Old is Gold..Tongue

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Zari_Khan

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.